New Cass McCombs Double Album, "Big Wheel and Others"

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby Grey Poupon » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:40 am

Chinese Alley reminds me of (what my mental recollection holds to be) the Convertible to Yokohama and Baelaric Rock threads were all about adoration of.

anyway

I mean you're baad
I mean you smell baaad

My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
Grey Poupon

Postby husbands » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:33 am

how does everyone like catacombs more than dropping the writ?

anyway this album is great. dunno if bum bum bum is referencing the sam fuller movie or the actual practice of rearing white dogs but either way that's one of cass' best songs of all time. also a big fan of everything else on this
ROLL COAL
husbands

Postby gandhi » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:13 am

don't get me wrong i love dropping the writ but I wish he recorded it with more care, it sounds muffled
gandhi

Postby ripersnifle » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:59 am

Brevity wrote:Still not sure this is one of his best but I've warmed to it in a way I didn't think was possible after the first couple plays. I think buying the record (and listening to it straight through a few times while reading from the lyric sheet) helped. A few songs (Bum Bum Bum/Medusa's Outhouse/It) are all-timers and the general "smoothness"/Rob Schnapf overproduction doesn't bother me as much now I've figured out frames of reference (like, "Rancid Girl" is a weird Dylan/Lennon goof, "Chinese Alley" is late '80s Lou Reed, "Switch" is Steely Dan etc).

I think his stuff has gotten tougher/denser/more knotted and workmanlike over the last couple albums and this keeps with that progression - the production just happens to be really big and pro cuz he signed with a new label so there's a bigger recording budget (and potentially more expectation) than before. But I think it's one of his weirdest/most challenging albums, up there with WIT'S END and Big Wheel (both of which seemed kinda off at the time but have grown into faves although Catacombs is still #1 duh)
good post.
i agree with the "workmanlike" concept, which makes the production of this one jarring in a really interesting way for me. i haven't decided if it's (one of) his best either.
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet
ripersnifle wrote:that aesthetic was tight
worrywort wrote:it's called the temple grandin
ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:24 pm

saw dude and band last night.
beautiful set. very stretched out/jammy at times, which i was vibing to as i was pretty optimally drunk.
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/cass-mccombs/2016/petit-campus-montreal-qc-canada-53fa87f1.html
Opposite House
Bum Bum Bum
Morning Star
Medusa's Outhouse
Big Wheel
Brighter!
The Burning of the Temple, 2012
Cry
Don't Vote
Dreams Come True Girl
You Saved My Life
Run Sister Run
County Line
Encore:
I Cannot Lie
now i am very hungover listening to WIT'S END, luxuriating in the coda of "memory's stain."
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet
ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:26 pm

"big wheel," in particular shredded, and "the burning of the temple" was also great. i feel like some of those Big Wheel tracks really come to life in a live setting.
ripersnifle

Postby gandhi » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:44 pm

sweet, glad burning of the temple is good live because i certainly dont listen to it on the album
seeing him tomorrow night
gandhi

Postby Brevity » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:00 pm

I saw him do "Burning of the Temple" live with Joe Russo on the Big Wheel tour and it was smokin', really made me come around on the recording. They also did an amazing full-band "Aeon of Aquarius Blues" that blew the album version away
Brevity

Postby Grey Poupon » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:50 pm

I want to see this guy but he's playing in this recital hall type venue here which would mean great sound but sitting down the whole time.. dunno if I can deal with that type of vibe, even if I'm toasted
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
Grey Poupon

Postby gandhi » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:53 pm

its worth it and better than a venue where people are talking through it and half paying attention but then again i love cass
gandhi

Postby gandhi » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:59 am

saw him last night, i agree - super jammy, a little slower too. not my favorite setlist - nothing unexpected and super heavy from the last two albums, but the band was tight and it was a fun show. the venue was a little weird/made it hard to see.
gandhi

Postby ripersnifle » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:25 am

gandhi wrote:saw him last night, i agree - super jammy, a little slower too. not my favorite setlist - nothing unexpected and super heavy from the last two albums, but the band was tight and it was a fun show. the venue was a little weird/made it hard to see.
now that i'm sober, i think i agree with you. would have really enjoyed more from Catacombs, WIT'S END, Humor Risk, maybe even Dropping the Writ.
ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:41 am

man have they ever reissued/repressed PREfection? would love it on wax without having to pay like $60.
ripersnifle

Postby robespierre » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:54 am

i love rancid girl
robespierre

Postby LloydChristmas » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:28 am

Grey Poupon wrote:I want to see this guy but he's playing in this recital hall type venue here which would mean great sound but sitting down the whole time.. dunno if I can deal with that type of vibe, even if I'm toasted

I'd be all over this if it wasn't the same night as Dungen. Sit down gigs rule... and the recital hall sounds amazing.
LloydChristmas

Postby robot_by_the_river » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:32 pm

http://www.ellentv.com/episodes/jim-par ... re-norris/

I know the whole "2016 has been weird" thing is getting old, but god damn.

One of Ellen's favorite artists!
big fat kid with a lot of nerve
robot_by_the_river

Postby ripersnifle » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:31 pm

robot_by_the_river wrote:http://www.ellentv.com/episodes/jim-par ... re-norris/

I know the whole "2016 has been weird" thing is getting old, but god damn.

One of Ellen's favorite artists!
holy shit lol
ripersnifle

Postby gandhi » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:11 pm

Go cass go
gandhi

Postby internethandle » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:05 am

never saw this video, think it may be my second fav cass vid now (after "you saved my life" of course)

internethandle
ok

Postby ripersnifle » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:57 pm

what're peoples' thoughts on Mangy Love more than a year later now?
gotta say i think i overdosed on it for a while - could be due for a revisit.
ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:03 pm

wouldn't mind a new thing next year if he wants
ripersnifle

Postby Ersaph » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:11 pm

Mangy Love is great! I love the smooth sound.

The songs I come back to most are Switch, I'm a Shoe, In a Chinese Alley, and weirdly enough, Rancid Girl

Bum Bum Bum and Opposite House I definitely OD'd on.

My favorite Cass songs overall are Windfall, The Executioner's Song, You Saved My Life, Windfall, Buried Alive, Robin Egg Blue, and The Living Word, so I wouldn't mind more like those soon.

Still: whatta artist, tbh
all u had to do was stay <3taylorswift<3Toggle Spoiler
Ersaph

Postby Ersaph » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:11 pm

Double post, sorry all!
all u had to do was stay <3taylorswift<3Toggle Spoiler
Ersaph

Postby brent » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:39 pm

i think mangy love is maybe my fav cass
brent

Postby Brevity » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:10 am

The smooth sound took some getting used to, but once the songs and lyrics started to come through I was onboard and yeah now it's some of my favorite Cass
Brevity

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:05 am

saw cass last night @ union pool in nyc, said he and his band just finished recording an album two days ago and they played ~10 songs from it at the show, plus "big wheel", "medusa's outhouse" and "the burning of the temple, 2012"

new songs sounded great, pretty rockin + a lot of pedal steel. a couple had severe grateful dead vibes which rules. one sounded like AC/DC but proggier. one mellow one that just repeated "i'm tying up loose ends" was great.
the beginning of the beginning of the end of the beginning
Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby husbands » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:18 am

Hell yeah, sounds like a great show
ROLL COAL
husbands

Postby ripersnifle » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:56 am

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:new songs sounded great, pretty rockin + a lot of pedal steel. a couple had severe grateful dead vibes which rules. one sounded like AC/DC but proggier. one mellow one that just repeated "i'm tying up loose ends" was great.
sick
ripersnifle

Postby brent » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:15 am

hell yeah
brent

Postby robot_by_the_river » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:20 am

Yessssss
big fat kid with a lot of nerve
robot_by_the_river

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All