DC UNIVERSE: SCORSESE AND DC TOGETHER AT LAST!!!

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby tawny frogmouth » Wed May 16, 2018 1:01 pm

Fullscreen wrote:wonder woman was pretty bad and not good.

seconded
tawny frogmouth

Postby goofjan » Wed May 16, 2018 1:02 pm

i remember in dark knight when alfred told bruce about his time in the military and we were all like "Lol, Alfred Begins."
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye
goofjan

Postby Fullscreen » Wed May 16, 2018 1:41 pm

actually I give WW credit for the sheer nonsense of real life German army chief of staff erich von falkenhayn as a supervillain, hulked out on space coke.
doomedhuh wrote:only love can break your heart
Fullscreen

Postby Poptone » Wed May 16, 2018 2:20 pm

No Good Advice wrote:
Fullscreen wrote:wonder woman was pretty bad and not good.

best superhero movie

Poptone
cat fan

Postby Poptone » Wed May 16, 2018 2:21 pm

danny huston is always awesome tho
Poptone
cat fan

Postby No Good Advice » Wed May 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Don't see how you can not look at WW as a positive thing in the superhero film world, even if you don't think it's the best ever or anything. Here's a superhero movie with some good old fashioned filmmaking and storytelling. Not just an origin story. Not just a piece of a puzzle. Not just snazzy visuals. A real action adventure film, characters on a journey, sympathetic, warm character portrayals, friendships, chemistry and wit in a romantic relationship, sparkle in the eyes of Pine and Gadot whenever they move together. And no layer of snark or distance to disturb talk of love and hate. I'm moved by that stuff, honestly, because it feels so rare in the genre -- even when I do like other superhero movies they don't feel like classic storytelling, I don't think that craft is there, but it is there in WW.

The setting is great too, and really helps the visual coherency. Whether it all works as a portrayal of WW1 affairs, well, who gives a shit? But the whole judgement on humanity, yeah, you probably need a World War to to get quickly to that in a superhero genre film.
No Good Advice

Postby Mr. Towel » Wed May 16, 2018 2:47 pm

mites wrote:But yeah they prob see mcu numbers and are v jealous

This post reads like it was written by David Sims and now I'm wondering if we have both the #twofriends in our midst
Mr. Towel

Postby tawny frogmouth » Wed May 16, 2018 3:03 pm

No Good Advice wrote:Don't see how you can not look at WW as a positive thing in the superhero film world, even if you don't think it's the best ever or anything. Here's a superhero movie with some good old fashioned filmmaking and storytelling. Not just an origin story. Not just a piece of a puzzle. Not just snazzy visuals. A real action adventure film, characters on a journey, sympathetic, warm character portrayals, friendships, chemistry and wit in a romantic relationship, sparkle in the eyes of Pine and Gadot whenever they move together. And no layer of snark or distance to disturb talk of love and hate. I'm moved by that stuff, honestly, because it feels so rare in the genre -- even when I do like other superhero movies they don't feel like classic storytelling, I don't think that craft is there, but it is there in WW.

The setting is great too, and really helps the visual coherency. Whether it all works as a portrayal of WW1 affairs, well, who gives a shit? But the whole judgement on humanity, yeah, you probably need a World War to to get quickly to that in a superhero genre film.

have you seen the first avenger, though? it's a better version of what you're describing here.
tawny frogmouth

Postby Poptone » Wed May 16, 2018 3:04 pm

No Good Advice wrote:Don't see how you can not look at WW as a positive thing in the superhero film world, even if you don't think it's the best ever or anything. Here's a superhero movie with some good old fashioned filmmaking and storytelling. Not just an origin story. Not just a piece of a puzzle. Not just snazzy visuals. A real action adventure film, characters on a journey, sympathetic, warm character portrayals, friendships, chemistry and wit in a romantic relationship, sparkle in the eyes of Pine and Gadot whenever they move together. And no layer of snark or distance to disturb talk of love and hate. I'm moved by that stuff, honestly, because it feels so rare in the genre -- even when I do like other superhero movies they don't feel like classic storytelling, I don't think that craft is there, but it is there in WW.

You're absolutely right that there are thing to like about Wonder Woman.

Gadot's performance (but, uh...not Pine's), as an origin story it's lively and succinct, it's got some funny quips, etc.

But it has one of the least exciting climaxes of either DC or Marvel, is pretty gross in its politics, is hampered by its ties both thematically and visually to the larger DCCU, and David Thewlis as an intimidating villain? lol
Poptone
cat fan

Postby tawny frogmouth » Wed May 16, 2018 3:08 pm

i love optimism in superhero movies, but wonder woman's whole arc is learning that people can be mean, down to needing it mansplained to her after she murders the wrong guy. she just comes off like a big dope in her own movie, and the world ends up getting saved by her male love interest while she fights a bad guy who told her flat-out that he didn't have anything to do with the actual evil shit happening in WW1.

i don't mean to raz on you for liking it, i just feel like you'd really like the first captain america movie, which was wonder woman but 6 years earlier and much much better
tawny frogmouth

Postby Fullscreen » Wed May 16, 2018 5:33 pm

gal gadot is great, most of the themyscira stuff is pretty good, but it's a tall order to meld mythological/fantasy, war and superhero genre tropes into one coherent story, and wonder woman didn't make it work for me at all.

captain america only halfway succeeds at it, with a lot less on its plate.
doomedhuh wrote:only love can break your heart
Fullscreen

Postby r m » Wed May 16, 2018 5:34 pm

Diana's wide-eyed optimism was a great piece of characterization and Gadot nailed it but holy shit that movie is long and it still looks like a Snyderverse movie and the final 30 minutes suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
r m

Postby easy » Wed May 16, 2018 5:37 pm

I still can't figure out why they showed the wonder woman villain as a big buff guy with that mustache face in that one flashback
easy
does it

Postby easy » Wed May 16, 2018 5:37 pm

basically I'm glad WW exists but never want to see it again
easy
does it

Postby tawny frogmouth » Thu May 17, 2018 9:49 am

it's fun to think about the movie as "Steve Trevor and the Howling Commandos Plus a Very Strong Idiot"
tawny frogmouth

Previous

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.