new Beck LP in February

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby mego » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:47 pm

Any money he makes will go straight to the church too, right?

:(
mego

Postby saranclaps » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:48 pm

Didn't he scrap like two albums while making this?
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening
saranclaps

Postby Grumby » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:51 pm

the imagine dragons/fun. thing of having this side-chained "WOOOH-OHH" kinda song seems to be the primary influence. i won't give imagine dragons all the credit cause it seems like this is just a form of pop song that seems to be produced in factories and played on your mildly alt radio station.

twenty one pilots is probably better at this than beck is
Grumby

Postby incoherent grunting » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:54 pm

mellowgold wrote:i remember reading an interview where he said he's got several albums worth of music that hes never released and sat on over the years. i guess at this point the best i can hope for is that he releases some of that stuff.

well he won a grammy last time he did this, so
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
incoherent grunting

Postby Buddy Glass » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:58 pm

incoherent grunting wrote:
mellowgold wrote:i remember reading an interview where he said he's got several albums worth of music that hes never released and sat on over the years. i guess at this point the best i can hope for is that he releases some of that stuff.

Was Morning Phase sitting around for a while before he released it?

God, I used to be such a Beck superfan and would know about everything like that. His music from Sea Change and on has felt markedly lesser to me, even the decent records/tracks scattered throughout his catalog since then just have this unpleasant studio sheen and what feels like a chronic lack of investment/interest on Beck's part. I was going to say I wish he'd just sit in a room with an acoustic guitar and a four-track again but even that would feel too overdetermined and self-conscious at this point

He's gotta give us the other stuff from the K Records sessions at least
What became of her? She lived, as she liked to say, off the kindness of gentlemen. I assume she’s dead.
Buddy Glass

Postby naturemorte » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:29 pm

this guy completely lost the plot when that suitcase of tapes got stolen during the sea change tour. i wish he stopped making his own albums entirely at that point and just focused on producing other people's music. his post-sea change career is dotted with a few decent tunes but littered with horrible embarrassments, failed experiments and gross miscalculations that sounded dated when they were made and are just purely cringeworthy afterwards. i don't think you can blame having kids or scientology–the dude just became a straight-up lazy songwriter who has used various in-demand producers and unorthodox working methods as crutches to prop up songs lacking in all depth, subtlety, craft, substance or ambition. the idea that he would publish a song-book full of embarrassingly rudimentary pastiches was mind-boggling.

that said, i still really like the charlotte gainsbourg album he wrote. i think he's probably better at writing for other people because he's a cipher and a mimic with no interiority
chad wrote:"How can I make this about me and also congratulate myself in some way" - basically every hipinion bro
naturemorte

Postby Eugenics » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:34 pm

mellow gold is still my favorite album of his, but when it comes to production, its all the dust brothers work that really brought this dude into wide screen view.
Eugenics

Postby mellowgold » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:36 pm

Buddy Glass wrote:
incoherent grunting wrote:

Was Morning Phase sitting around for a while before he released it?

God, I used to be such a Beck superfan and would know about everything like that. His music from Sea Change and on has felt markedly lesser to me, even the decent records/tracks scattered throughout his catalog since then just have this unpleasant studio sheen and what feels like a chronic lack of investment/interest on Beck's part. I was going to say I wish he'd just sit in a room with an acoustic guitar and a four-track again but even that would feel too overdetermined and self-conscious at this point

He's gotta give us the other stuff from the K Records sessions at least

i dont think this is the case with Morning Phase. I think most of it was recorded between 2009-2013.

But i agree with you, Buddy Glass. Though i still stan for Guero a lot. The Information is solid too. But Modern Guilt and Morning Phase are not good. Haven't listened to Colors yet.
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.
mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby mellowgold » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:37 pm

Eugenics wrote:mellowgold is still my favorite boarder, but when it comes to production, its all the dust brothers work that really brought this dude into wide screen view.
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.
mellowgold

Postby incoherent grunting » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:43 pm

o i thought morning phase was leftovers from sea change - not recorded then, but written.

Anyway, i think One Foot In The Grave is my fave, tho there are great songs throughout his catalogue. Probs won't end up listening to this one tho
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
incoherent grunting

Postby saranclaps » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:46 pm

I don't think any of his music has aged particularly well tbh. "Where It's At" or "New Pollution" or "Loser" sound so of their time.
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening
saranclaps

Postby saranclaps » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:48 pm

I'll stan for "Gamma Ray" though. Good pop song.
saranclaps

Postby mego » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:57 pm

Good posts on this page. Will contribute later. Have some Serious Beck Feelings I need to share.

What’s the stolen tapes thing? Didn’t hear about that one
mego

Postby naturemorte » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:12 am

will still stand by odelay, and mutations sounds better every year
chad wrote:"How can I make this about me and also congratulate myself in some way" - basically every hipinion bro
naturemorte

Postby Ersaph » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:14 am

Search: everything including Midnite Vultures and before

Destroy: everything after

I WAS THE BIGGEST BECK FAN EVER CIRCA MIDNITE VULTURES AND THEN LIFE HAPPENED
all u had to do was stay <3taylorswift<3Toggle Spoiler
Ersaph

Postby saranclaps » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:18 am

Mutations might be the exception to the rule, but outside of "Lazy Flies" I can't remember the last time I listened. It's his best probably though.

Revisiting Mutations right now a little bit and never realized how much Kinks is in that record. Seems like a lot of reviews at the time picked up on the influence.

I can actually tolerate a lot of Modern Guilt, though I like Danger Mouse more than most here.
saranclaps

Postby Ersaph » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:30 am

Mutations is his best. Even though I love MV Beck would have done well to deepen the Mutations vibe indefinitely

Nigel Godrich's best production by far too! (actually I like Terror Twilight a lot but that's a more stupid story)
Ersaph

Postby naturemorte » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:31 am

i'm listening to this. it suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks!

the prechorus on "i'm so free" is like raditude-level bad
there's crazy clipping all over this too, sounds like it was intentionally mastered to give you ear fatigue before you listen too much of it at once
naturemorte

Postby mego » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:38 am

IMO midnight vultures is when the decline started. It’s brilliantly executed but the strange lack of real energy and a sense of detachment is there. The only exception is Debra which was written for odelay.

I can’t find the article but if I remember correct he started getting involved with Scientology around the midnight vultures time. Sea change is mostly about him choosing religion over his girlfriend, right?

It’s as if Scientology stripped him of whatever energy he was able to channel through his music. He remembers how to make music still but it’s like he’s totally detached from it. It’s really depressing.

His mother and father were in the church, right? He escaped and lived with his grandmother but then he was lured back after she died. That’s how I remember it.

I’m not annoyed with him selling out. He’s doing it for the church he’d tried to stay away from for a long time. I’m annoyed with his father
mego

Postby Ersaph » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:43 am

mego wrote:I’m not annoyed with him selling out. He’s doing it for the church he’d tried to stay away from for a long time. I’m annoyed with his father

You are a True Beck Fan
Ersaph

Postby mego » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:55 am

Ersaph wrote:You are a True 90s Beck Fan
mego

Postby Ici Aussi! » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:54 am

I get that we're all upset that Beck made another dumb record but let's not pin this one on scientology or his father when we know very little about his relationship to either.

This is Nobody's Fault but His Own. As a True Beck Fan, that hurts to admit.
Ici Aussi!

Postby mellowgold » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:22 am

i stand by post that his kids turned him into a shitty musician.
mellowgold

Postby Eugenics » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:57 am

mellowgold wrote:i stand by post that his kids turned him into a shitty musician.

otoh, i bet beck could make a pretty good kids' album that would be enjoyable for adults. think... yoshimi....
but.....better!
nah, prob nota good idea tho, nvmd
Eugenics

Postby WaltonGoggins » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:37 pm

"And if I breathe now
I could scream now
You can hear me
From Topeka to Belize now!"

God this sucks, what a disappointment.
WaltonGoggins

Postby mego » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:29 pm

http://www.lermanet.com/beck/

Ok so what I got wrong was it was his grandfather, not grandmother, who was the non-Scientologist. Also, he started working with his dad during mutations. A bit earlier than I remembered.

Yes, we can blame Scientoligy here. Scientology neutered Beck.
mego

Postby Eugenics » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:44 pm

i wonder if Beck is the type of Sci that's just a rich popular asshole that uses his sphere of influence to bilk those people out of their money via its pyramid scheme business model in recruiting new members, and/or if he actually believes in its bullshit teachings and actively pays up the organization
Eugenics

Postby mego » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:49 pm

I think the latter. And the fact he escaped the church in the 90s and tried to again in the mid 00s tells me he’s a good guy with shitty parents who pressured him to return to their shitty church
mego

Postby mego » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:50 pm

Actually no I think he’s a bit shitty too but there’s some good in him
mego

Postby mellowgold » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:00 pm

agree with that mego!
mellowgold

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All