Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Pashmina » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:40 pm

he started vomitting 30 August. that went on for a week, he had a day or two where he ate and held it down, and then went about a week where he'd only eat treats. the reason we brought him in in the first place was we were worried about him getting fatty liver since he's obese, but outside of the mass(?)/bad fluid he actually checked out really healthy for everything else.
emotional fascism wrote:that was a bad post. i'd like to apologize to all board millennials.
Pashmina
I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby Hal Jordan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:59 pm

My cat that was puking everything every day has responded well to food labeled for limited ingredient diets
well that was intense
Hal Jordan

Postby brent » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:03 pm

my prior cat had major stomach issues and eventually stopped eating completely...until my vet suggested i try giving him gerber's chicken baby food. that and a topical steroid (prednisone i believe) helped him fight/made him happy for another half a year at least.

good luck with everything!
brent

Postby Pashmina » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:04 pm

yeah we have him on a pretty specialized grain free diet already because of his past of having bad poops

the vomiting was pretty certainly from either lymphoma blockage or the inflamed intestines
emotional fascism wrote:that was a bad post. i'd like to apologize to all board millennials.
Pashmina
I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby honkduh » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:40 pm

mascotte wrote:Since our Kicia got killed by some fucking stray dogs we got anoher cat. Our kid named it Batory.

this is a great photo :D
honkduh

Postby mascotte » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:29 pm

Kwisatz Haderach wrote:Mascotte you named your cat after Elizabeth bathory?

It's my girlfriend's daughter idea. There was a Polish king named Stefan Batory, a relative of Elisabeth. I told her about it and read her a juicy chapter of a corresponding wiki entry. Now we occasionally call him Stefan.
mascotte

Postby Pashmina » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:03 pm

brent wrote:my prior cat had major stomach issues and eventually stopped eating completely...until my vet suggested i try giving him gerber's chicken baby food. that and a topical steroid (prednisone i believe) helped him fight/made him happy for another half a year at least.

good luck with everything!

yep

that steroid is the plan if he doesn't start to recover and we have to assume it's lymphoma
Pashmina
I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby Celery Salt » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:41 am

honkduh wrote:
mascotte wrote:Since our Kicia got killed by some fucking stray dogs we got anoher cat. Our kid named it Batory.

this is a great photo :D

Agreed, great photo. But Mascotte will you please not introduce any more cats to your environment in which they are prey?
Celery Salt

Postby mascotte » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:55 am

That situation was an exception, once we move in we will keep the cats inside most of the time.
mascotte

Postby Celery Salt » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:27 am

Mascotte, you posted how you were introducing your domestic cats to the wilderness and you nonchalantly mentioned how they may become prey within your forest life. Please do not pretend that it isn't because you introduced your house cat to the forest that she died and please don't bring any more kittens. I respect and support your human goals with this wilderness living,
But I fucking love cats.
Celery Salt

Postby mascotte » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:40 am

I love them too. I just need to accept that changing my habitat from urban to wild brings certain advantages and disadvantages for cats too and I'm not nonchalant at all. They're not closed in a tight flat anymore and felt super happy, all the stress and tension between the two animals was gone, they had an infinite space for exploration. Keeping them in the city was not a good decision, they have been fighting with each other and we shouldn't introduce he second cat in a first place. Here, living in a temporary space, in tents and no doors nor windows it was nearly impossible to keep an eye on them and they immediately accepted new conditions rarely returning home at night. I consulted several people since we lost Kicia and now I'm sure that we will impose some restrictions regarding their time in and out.
mascotte

Postby Kwisatz Haderach » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:25 am

What is the other cat's name mascotte?
Kwisatz Haderach

Postby mascotte » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:24 pm

Wilczur, which means Wolf
mascotte

Postby Pashmina » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:58 pm

Celery Salt wrote:I love all of your cats, sincerely. This is really my favorite thread. I have two right now aged 7 and 10 respectively. I will post their goddamn beautiful mugs when I feel like I've been here long enough. My 7 year old cat has been diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Disease which manifests in his tummy and we've been through a lot since April when he started puking and stopped eating. He had to have a feeding tube installed for like two months and has been on so so much medication since but I feel like he is finally coming back into himself again. Does anyone have any experience with mail order chemo drugs? I currently purchase 30 count of pet Leukaran from a place in Arizona for $70 a month.

wow didnt see this post before

why are you considering chemo if it's ibs? that seems to be the call with our cat right now, whether it's lymphoma or IBS, and i know at this point that w/o biopsy lymphoma can be confirmed in some cased, but not ruled out entirely. which is where we are right now.
Pashmina
I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby Pashmina » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:00 pm

i guess i mean ibd rather than ibs.

dont mean to sound accusatory, im just curious. was part of the treatment prednisone?
Pashmina
I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby all day breakfast » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:38 pm

e: whoops should have looked at the previous page
all day breakfast

Postby Pashmina » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:01 pm

x-post from slack

well he wont eat anything but freeze-dried chicken
[9:29]
but he's going nuts for it
i had like
the weirdest thing
[9:30]
my cousin recced this vet, they were the ones that referred me to bluepearl, where i spent a fortune
i had heard from my cousin that this vet was a little pricey
but i mean all nyc vets are
anyway
[9:31]
i called the other day to ask them to set up an account for me so that shermans paperwork could go somewhere when we discharged him, since we cant afford anymore emergency care and need to have something local for the plan we want to do
[9:31]
i called them today because i wanted to go in for a consultation about steroids, but didnt want to bring sherman because he's gone through enough shit, would need to be sedated, etc
[9:32]
anyway the reception guy was not just a reception guy and got the gist of what was going on, and was like, we like to have a dr-patient relationship, we prefer not to have appointments before meeting the animal
so im like ok i get that, he's just difficult
and he's like yeah no i understand, you can come by beforehand and we'll give you something to take, etc.
in the meantime, ill have the dr call you at some point before the end of the day
[9:33]
to see what you should do appointment-wise
anyway i leave work at like 645, figure like ok it's a vet, nyc vets are shitty, ill just call them later
soon as i leave the building i get a call
she had just missed me in the office
and she's just fucking like
talks my ear off for 15 minutes
[9:34]
she had already talked to all the ICU internist, doctor, and oncologist
read all his paperwork and shit
basically gave me a full consultation over the phone
and i was like
"i really appreciate this, especially since i havent actually like, ever gone to your place before"
like, i havent spent a cent there
[9:35]
she's spending 7pm on a friday talking to me about my cat when she like has totally no obligation
basically gave me another complete rundown of everything that was going on, everything she had talked to the other vets about
and was like "i dont think you should schedule an appointment right now, watch him and make sure he's happy and feels comfortable"
[9:36]
"monitor over the weekend, and ill call you on monday to see how things are and then get back in touch with [insert shermans er vets]"
[9:36]
so im like, ok, ill be sure to give you a call
[9:37]
and she's like "no, no! ive read all of his stuff, i know those vets and they're good, ill call you on monday and we can see where you are in terms of how you feel about treatment options"
just like, restored my faith in humanity
and then at the end
she's like
well
the other good part
i wa slike yeah he isnt eating shit
but i found out he'll eat freeze-dried chicken this morning, and he's eating that like a pig
[9:38]
like literally grunting
so i think he's just developed an aversion to every type of food he ate while he was getting sick, and he's already picky
and she's like
"yes! that's very common. it happens to us, too! when i was 15 i drank so much of (some european liquor) in the netherlands, and even now, im 55, and if i smell it i get sick!"
and then she's like is your name finnish? are you finnish?
[9:39]
and im like yeah lol
and she's like have you been???
and im like
no, id love to
and she's goes out about how great it is and what a shame it is i havent been
and im like "yeah, iw ork for the un, i have no excuse"
and she's like, the un!!! i was just there with my mother a few weeks ago!!
[9:40]
and i was like haha yeah it's cool, if you're ever there again you'll have to let me know and i'll let you see some of the off tour stuff
and she's like "that sounds like a good deal!! cat medicine for tours!!"
anyway just such an awesome person to talk to during this bs
Pashmina
I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby Milk » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:33 pm

Jumby (dum) airing his balls...or something. I mean it's cleaning position except he did this on the dresser and never cleaned himself. just stayed in this position looking around. Then went on the bed and did the same thing. He's not even blinking on the third pic, he was getting in chill mode. weirdo.

oh and no there's nothing wrong with his gens or anything.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby Celery Salt » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:30 am

portia wrote:
Celery Salt wrote:I love all of your cats, sincerely. This is really my favorite thread. I have two right now aged 7 and 10 respectively. I will post their goddamn beautiful mugs when I feel like I've been here long enough. My 7 year old cat has been diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Disease which manifests in his tummy and we've been through a lot since April when he started puking and stopped eating. He had to have a feeding tube installed for like two months and has been on so so much medication since but I feel like he is finally coming back into himself again. Does anyone have any experience with mail order chemo drugs? I currently purchase 30 count of pet Leukaran from a place in Arizona for $70 a month.

wow didnt see this post before

why are you considering chemo if it's ibs? that seems to be the call with our cat right now, whether it's lymphoma or IBS, and i know at this point that w/o biopsy lymphoma can be confirmed in some cased, but not ruled out entirely. which is where we are right now.

It's actually different than IBS, which (according to my vet) is an auto-immune disease. IBD is something that usually manifests either in the top of the digestive tract like my cat or in the bowel which isn't my cat's particular issue. When it flares up, it causes a basic shutdown of the liver, kidneys and pancreas. During his initial episode (after he was puking for days and then stopped eating and drinking water for nearly a week) he had a biopsy in his tummy where it was determined he didn't have cancer. We had him on Denamarin (liver medication), Mirtazapine (appetite stimulant), Metronidazole (antibiotic), Prednesilone (steroid) and Cerenia (anti-nausea). We also switched his food at this point from Wellness chicken & herring wet food to Hill's hydrolyzed protein kibble. It took a month but he got better and was eventually down to just the steroids. We got to the point where we were supposed to start weaning him from the steroids (about 4 months later) and he stopped eating again. His bloodwork showed all the bad levels that were present in the initial episode so he went back on the liver medication, upped the steroids and Mirtazapine. The vet told us at this point that in order to keep him from having such quickly manifesting liver problems he needed to stay on Denamarin for the long term and that she recommended introducing Leukaran because it suppresses the production of certain things that start the inflammation (like the steroids do) but that she didn't want him to stay on steroids long term because it eventually leads to other side effects like diabetes and lethargy and she said long term use of steroids would make his ears go totally limp and flop over (the visual of this is what made me agree to start Leukaran). When I found the distributor for Leukaran that we could afford I cried on the phone with her (my vet) asking why he needs the drug if he doesn't have cancer and she reiterated to me that it has greater long term success then sticking with steroids.

I love my vet and I believe she truly cares about my cat and wishes to find a way to make him the most well he can be - when he isn't suffering from flare ups he is still a vibrant kitty. So this is what we're doing now. If there had been a cancer diagnosis I don't know if we would have taken this route.
Celery Salt

Postby Celery Salt » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:32 am

mascotte wrote:I love them too. I just need to accept that changing my habitat from urban to wild brings certain advantages and disadvantages for cats too and I'm not nonchalant at all. They're not closed in a tight flat anymore and felt super happy, all the stress and tension between the two animals was gone, they had an infinite space for exploration. Keeping them in the city was not a good decision, they have been fighting with each other and we shouldn't introduce he second cat in a first place. Here, living in a temporary space, in tents and no doors nor windows it was nearly impossible to keep an eye on them and they immediately accepted new conditions rarely returning home at night. I consulted several people since we lost Kicia and now I'm sure that we will impose some restrictions regarding their time in and out.

I want to apologize for calling you nonchalant. I was deep in the feels and I do not have a place to judge you about your decisions. I wish you all the luck in the world with your cats.
Celery Salt

Postby mascotte » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:08 am

No prob :)
mascotte

Postby Pashmina » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:40 pm

Thanks, celery salt. Yeah, I meant to say ibd, I've been reading up on it. Seems like our cats may be going through the same thing, we just didn't get a biopsy done so we don't know for sure. But with his history of gi issues ibd seems like a real possibility, so thats why I was wondering what you were doing.

He's drinking pretty regularly and eating freeze dried chicken so we feel like he's heading in the right direction. No vomiting.
Pashmina
I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby RIXX » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:08 pm

first week with caz!

he is a dream cat. so cuddly and playful, and loves to play fetch, and responds instantly to his name. he feels more like a dog, really.

the only thing is, he was found by his owner in a trash can when he was a kitty (he's a year old now), and I guess because of this, he has a weird psychological relationship with food. even after he eats and should be full, he's always wanting more food, and is always super determined to get at whatever food i'm eating. does anyone have any experience with this? is this something that will fade away with time?

ImageImage

RIXX

Postby Pashmina » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:10 pm

The worry for us is that we have narrowed it down to lymphoma or ibd. We can't afford to open him up after all the emergency care, and our feeling is that if it was cancer we'd probably do steroids and not chemo since the cancer can't be cured anyway.l, so I don't think we'd elect to do it anyway in our particular case. I'm glad that you were able to and got a good biopsy.

He has a section of thickened intestinal walls along with free fluids, but his organs all tested healthy, so I'm not sure if we just caught it and got it in time before it started causing other damage or if it's just lymphoma that isn't affecting anything else. He apparently has a strange intestinal tract, and he's had given gi issues since he was a year or so old - we'd considered the possibility he had ibd many times before - so that's giving us some hope. His needle sample didn't test for any cancer cells, which is good, but that test can only rule in cancer, not rule it out, as I'm sure you know since I imagine you went through the same testing we did. initial monitoring of him since we got him back seems to be trending positively, so here's to both our kitties!
Last edited by Pashmina on Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pashmina
I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby chandler » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:12 pm

my cat was a pain with food until i started lightly tossing her away when she got too close

now when i'm eating and make eye contact with her she knows to stay away
i've been getting really into pestcest too lately. haven't really been able to find much good ant stuff, though. anybody have any links to some good biting vids/pics?
chandler

Postby chandler » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:15 pm

ya gotta show that cat whos boss
i've been getting really into pestcest too lately. haven't really been able to find much good ant stuff, though. anybody have any links to some good biting vids/pics?
chandler

Postby RIXX » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:18 pm

noted. i will try out the toss and stare method this week and see how it goes

he's a real maniac for prosciutto. as soon as i open some up, he immediately runs across the room and jumps into it
RIXX

Postby Pashmina » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:22 pm

We have a street cat that lived with a bunch other street cats for 3-5 years, not sure on her age

She's a monster with food and no matter how many times we've swatted her away she's just gotten worse. I've seen her grab half a hero when I turned my back and drag it away with her.
Pashmina
I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby Pashmina » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:24 pm

She's adorable tho so I don't csre, I just take it awsy
Pashmina
I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby galactagogue » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:01 pm

chandler wrote:ya gotta show that cat whos toss
vivian darkbloom wrote:Posting in this thread is like the cheaper version of getting drunk

I like it

bigcat wrote:I love many socialist policies

Ideologues of all flavors can suck my dick
galactagogue

PreviousNext

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.