ongoing ecological collapse thread

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby Milquetoaster Strudels » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:55 am

So much fun watching total collapse in slow motion

Milquetoaster Strudels

Postby Milquetoaster Strudels » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:45 pm

Sooo both krill AND insect populations, the foundation blocks of the marine and land-based food chains, have experienced around 75-80% population declines in the past 3-4 decades.

We're totally going to go extinct.

Milquetoaster Strudels

Postby Paul » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:43 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-43490235

Predictions suggest a build-up of about 80,000 tonnes of plastic in the "Great Pacific Garbage Patch" between California and Hawaii.

This figure is up to sixteen times higher than previously reported, say international researchers.

lordofdiapers wrote:Paul is worthy

guy forget wrote:Woah wait a minute Phish is dumb as hell

Paul
The Nappy King™

Postby wendy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:59 pm

Something abrupt and terrible needs to happen and soon

Sorry trying to delete

wendy

Postby woozy ducks » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:52 pm

object wrote:
The tendency of people to move to cities, either out of desire or perceived necessity, creates a great opportunity. If we managed urbanisation properly, we could nearly remove ourselves from a considerable percentage of the the planet’s surface. That would be good for many of the threatened species we share this planet with, which in turn would be good for us, because we are completely enmeshed in Earth’s web of life.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018 ... y-robinson

Also enjoyed reading this

woozy ducks

Postby Bride of Qualls » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:02 am

The Great Pacific Garbage Patch Isn’t What You Think it Is
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/03/great-pacific-garbage-patch-plastics-environment/
WHAT’S REALLY IN THE PATCH?
Microplastics make up 94 percent of an estimated 1.8 trillion pieces of plastic in the patch. But that only amounts to eight percent of the total tonnage. As it turns out, of the 79,000 metric tons of plastic in the patch, most of it is abandoned fishing gear—not plastic bottles or packaging drawing headlines today.

A comprehensive new study by Slat’s team of scientists, published in Scientific Reports Thursday, concluded that the 79,000 tons was four to 16 times larger than has been previously estimated for the patch. The study also found that fishing nets account for 46 percent of the trash, with the majority of the rest composed of other fishing industry gear, including ropes, oyster spacers, eel traps, crates, and baskets. Scientists estimate that 20 percent of the debris is from the 2011 Japanese tsunami.

Bride of Qualls

Postby pablito » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:12 am

DasLofGang wrote:the last male white rhino died

*northern white rhino, the southern white rhino is not endangered

edit: extinction is horrible this is a bad toop!
*Offer temporarily suspended in light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Thank you for understanding

pablito

Location: chicago illinois, pm me for address, come fucking fight me*

Postby Paul » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:22 pm

Paul
The Nappy King™

Postby alaska » Sat May 12, 2018 11:18 am

hell yeah
On Hipinion, posters taxed their bonds and brotherhood, pushing themselves to the brink as a board and as buds.

alaska

Postby Autarch » Sat May 12, 2018 11:23 am

costa rica is so sick

Autarch

Postby iambic » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:13 pm

hell yeah, roll coal

iambic

Postby Fullscreen » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:15 pm

oh sick, /thread i guess?
doomedhuh wrote:only love can break your heart

Fullscreen

Postby iambic » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:15 pm

yep. mods lock/archive.

iambic

Postby palmer eldritch » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:26 pm

we did it

palmer eldritch

Postby blurst of times » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:44 pm

Phew, I guess. Was worried for a minute

blurst of times
ride.

Postby it’s frank » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:48 pm

the good old free market is the real super hero

it’s frank

Postby quilty » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:26 am

man if the philanthropic industrialists manage to solve climate change, this whole capitalism thing really is here to stay isn't it?

quilty
ok

Postby Destroyevsky » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:00 am

Still got acidifying oceans, mass extinction and biodiversity loss, zoonotic disease, chemical pollution and carcinogens...everyone thought divine right was here to stay too

Destroyevsky

Postby messier object » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:51 am

i swear i read an article about six months ago in grist or something roasting these guys re:the difference between claims for investors and actually delivering something at massive scale that included a detailed trip to the facility
peper and solt it as they plese

messier object

Postby alaska » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:10 pm

that is incredibly sad
On Hipinion, posters taxed their bonds and brotherhood, pushing themselves to the brink as a board and as buds.

alaska

Postby Seamus » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:23 pm

the air pollution in delhi is a nightmare as well
Thanks, admin.

Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

monkey d stiltzkin wrote:pure poppycock from Seamus yet again

Seamus

Postby tgk » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:48 pm

what am i looking at here

tgk

Postby Seamus » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:48 pm

scorched earth
Thanks, admin.

Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

monkey d stiltzkin wrote:pure poppycock from Seamus yet again

Seamus

Postby groupb » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:47 am

fuck arsonists. same shit every fucking summer. 60+ people dead in Athens, many of them kids

groupb

Postby Paul » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:14 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-45084144

Each year the Earth's forests, oceans and land soak up about 4.5 billion tonnes of carbon that would otherwise end up in our atmosphere adding to temperatures.

But as the world experiences warming, these carbon sinks could become sources of carbon and make the problems of climate change significantly worse.

So whether it is the permafrost in northern latitudes that now holds millions of tonnes of warming gases, or the Amazon rainforest, the fear is that the closer we get to 2 degrees of warming above pre-industrial levels, the greater the chances that these natural allies will spew out more carbon than they currently now take in.

According to the research paper, crossing into a Hothouse Earth period would see a higher global temperature than at any time in the past 1.2 million years.

The climate might stabilise with 4-5 degrees C of warming above the pre-industrial age. Thanks to the melting of ice sheets, the seas could be 10-60 metres higher than now.

Essentially, this would mean that some parts of the Earth would become uninhabitable.

The impacts would be "massive, sometimes abrupt and undoubtedly disruptive," say the authors.

The only upside, if you can call it that, is that the worst impacts may not be felt for a century or two. The downside is that we wouldn't really be able to do anything about it, once it starts.

I think I've been doing a pretty good job of reducing my carbon footprint on this planet, though I do still drive a car, but it'd be great if some people in charge would actually do something about it.

Please keep the republicans out of office, for starters.

Paul
The Nappy King™

Postby Milk » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:15 pm

read an article yesterday about a study that determined that fighting climate change would create 18 millions jobs. That means that yes a lot of jobs would be lost by abandoning non renewable energy but it would STILL create 18 millions more jobs than there are now.... it's the kind of thing you read and you think WHY is this not being done RIGHT NOW. But then you read the numbers and you've got millions of jobs lost in the oil industry and so to do this it means you've got to have the oil industry letting governments do it, abandoning all none renewable energies and even banning them and you realise we're fucked as long as we let them control everything.

Also read an article written by two ecologists who say that when the mic is off, a lot of people, experts and scientists, who have spent their lives fighting for the environmental cause and against climate change tell them they don't believe in the cause anymore, that it's over and that humanity have lost. It's not a case of there's still time anymore, it's a case of it's already too late but let's still hit on the brakes anyway so that maybe SOME of us may survive the crash. But the ay i see it the corporations and elites of the world have decided that WELL ITS TOO FUCKING LATE LETS JUST MAKE THE MOST OF WHAT WE HAVE LEFT WHILE WE STILL HAVE IT. I mean when you see how Trump removed the environmental norms for car manufacturers, that's the only conclusion you can draw.

I'm not voting for anyone that's not the green party anymore in both federal or provincial elections, yes, it's pointless and they don't have what it takes to form a government, but it's the only party that has understood it's the first priority. I don't intend to ever vote again for a party that doesn't talk about this before anything else. If that's not the first thing in your program, fuck off. This is what matters. And yes its all that has mattered for 30 years really but now at this point If you can't get that, and if you won't, among other things but most importantly, fight the oil industry and remove yourself from it (fuck you trudeau for the purchase of this fucking pipeline btw) then fuck you, you're wasting my time and you're not serious about it. You're part of the problem.
I must insist on being a pessimist, I'm a loner in a catastrophic mind

Milk

Postby Milk » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:21 pm

Paul wrote:https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-45084144

Each year the Earth's forests, oceans and land soak up about 4.5 billion tonnes of carbon that would otherwise end up in our atmosphere adding to temperatures.

But as the world experiences warming, these carbon sinks could become sources of carbon and make the problems of climate change significantly worse.

So whether it is the permafrost in northern latitudes that now holds millions of tonnes of warming gases, or the Amazon rainforest, the fear is that the closer we get to 2 degrees of warming above pre-industrial levels, the greater the chances that these natural allies will spew out more carbon than they currently now take in.

According to the research paper, crossing into a Hothouse Earth period would see a higher global temperature than at any time in the past 1.2 million years.

The climate might stabilise with 4-5 degrees C of warming above the pre-industrial age. Thanks to the melting of ice sheets, the seas could be 10-60 metres higher than now.

Essentially, this would mean that some parts of the Earth would become uninhabitable.

The impacts would be "massive, sometimes abrupt and undoubtedly disruptive," say the authors.

The only upside, if you can call it that, is that the worst impacts may not be felt for a century or two. The downside is that we wouldn't really be able to do anything about it, once it starts.

I think I've been doing a pretty good job of reducing my carbon footprint on this planet, though I do still drive a car, but it'd be great if some people in charge would actually do something about it.

Please keep the republicans out of office, for starters.

In a way the whole business of guilt tripping the consumer is fucked. It's like hey, not our fault, you're buying the product! It's like with CFCs, we didn't go hey people stop buying those products, because they were going to if they were available, the decision was taken, internationally, to phase them out. This is what has to happen with petrol. The world needs to basically say, alright, we need to stop using this, we're gonna take a decision to phase them out and fuck what corporations have to say about this. I mean we all know and have known for years that we can make perfectly great electric cars if it wasn't that there's a lobby fighting it.

Milk

Postby Milk » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:22 pm

Ferrous Bueller wrote:
Milk wrote:Also read an article written by two ecologists who say that when the mic is off, a lot of people, experts and scientists, who have spent their lives fighting for the environmental cause and against climate change tell them they don't believe in the cause anymore, that it's over and that humanity have lost.

link?

I would give it to you (well i'd need to dig it first) but it was in french so i don't know how beneficial to you it would be (unless you do in fact read french)

Milk

Postby Milk » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:31 pm

So there is something that's been happening, i have done surveys online now for two years. Two years, thousands of them filled, there are surveys about the canadian oil indsutry that pop up every maybe 2 month. In any case, i had noticed after maybe the third one, because it angers me anytime this happens, that those surveys did not seem to ever pay me. They were given out by a company which i trust and always pays me, but those didn't seem to. SO i started paying attention. And sure enough, every time it's a oil industry they have never ever paid me. Now this is not a common thing, maybe 1 survey out of 25 for some reason unknown (or sometimes known) will not pay you. I'm not talking you screened out of it, no , you finish, you do everything, you complete, you do your part, they're like by thank you for completing but they just never give you the money . I have tried giving out wildly different answers, like that i was for the oil industry, that everything was fine and dandy, or the opposite, or in the middle, i've changed my answers many times every time i take one (they're never exactly the same but they're similar) and i never got paid.

There is no pattern with any other type of survey or company or site. In fact i receive these surveys from different aggregate sites (though always given by the same survey company) and i finished one again just now and it did not pay me and the ONLY conclusion i can draw from this after like 20 surveys on this filled is that i don't get paid because the oil insudtry actually just want to take your answers without paying you. Like they know you won't get paid, it's planned this way. But they still gather your answers. I still answer them now just so that in the write-in answers i can tell them just how much i hate their industry and wish they would all perish in some horrible fire. This is fucked. Completely fucked.

And this fucking survey showed me a video of an ad, an ad by the canadian oil industry, that tells you about these engineers that have devised this sort of new way to measure co2 emissions....ok....AND!?!?! So cool now you have a fast and efficient way to check how much you pollute. Are you gonna do anything about it? Well no of course. No you fucking' won't. It's like just this vague ad just to show people see, the environment? we care.... but what is there behind it? Nothing, nothing at all. Just a fucking device to check co2 emissions....cool. Please die. But they hope the random person will only remember "oil industry...care about emissions...oil industry...not bad" I hate everything that has to do with marketing an image. I'm telling you i'm not joking i'm about this close to becoming a radical environmental activist that is gonna blow some shit up (shit, not people). That's just how angry everything about this world has made me. I'm mad as hell and i won't take it anymore.

I say this, yeah of course i'm not 100% serious, but i'm not 100% not serious either. I think soon enough i'll reach the breaking point where i will have to physically do something anyway. Not just march even, do something. Some heads need to start rolling and they need to start rolling soon.

Milk

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley