Quality Beer Thread

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby bongo » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:02 pm

The Munificent Motherwell wrote:Unbelievable--my go-to bottle shop is selling full-size De Garde bottles of Petit Desay and Bu Weisse for $4.75. Also, had their tart saison infused with Earl Grey on tap :D

:shock:
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life

bongo
man in hammock

Postby wyatt » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:15 pm

Damn I love Black Tuesday.
wyatt

Postby hey look » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:23 pm

The Munificent Motherwell wrote:Unbelievable--my go-to bottle shop is selling full-size De Garde bottles of Petit Desay and Bu Weisse for $4.75. Also, had their tart saison infused with Earl Grey on tap :D

Totally spaced even tho I rsvped
hey look

Postby The Munificent Motherwell » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:38 pm

hey look wrote:

Totally spaced even tho I rsvped

They had a ton of it when I was there. I think you'd be able to scoop several bottles tomorrow if you're interested.

Had their Dark Harvest after my run earlier. So good. Reminded me a bunch of the Sole Composition of Late Harvest, which is the tartest thing I've had from Upright.
do you know what is darkness?

VHGisdead wrote:i hate to experience things as hilarious and amazing

The Munificent Motherwell

Location: the stoner version of écrits (BRB—out fartlekin' to sloth & dormant & janeret)

Postby beefbroth inthe shitpipes » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:05 am

NJ fools,
this is good. Pretty good.

beefbroth inthe shitpipes

Postby prexy » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:43 am

Zurich wrote:
prexy wrote:I'm a recent transplant and I'm used to the Midwestern bounty of Three Floyds, Sun King, Half Acre/5 Rabbits/Chicago everything, Bloomington Brewing Company, etc., and almost all of the New York breweries distribute in Indiana and almost none of the Midwestern breweries distribute in New York. And I mostly dislike Peekskill, Greenpoint Harbor, Singlecut, Bronx, Sixpoint, Coney Island Brewing, etc. Neighborhood is definitely important for bars w/ good tap selection at a good price. Fulton Grand in Clinton Hill was a favorite during my very brief stint there. My initial post should have been more sincerely a question about whether this was a thing but I've generally been not happy about beer here whereas in the Midwest I found it very easy to be really excited about beer. I don't mean specifically New York City breweries I just mean the general availability of beer here. Lagunitas and Bell's are treated like blessed rare ales instead of middling but very solid beers.

bored as hell thanksgiving break over here, long post:

In general, I get what you're saying about "excited about beer." I think I even wrote a post here about that a ways back. There's very little in the way of "special" beers here. No big releases or breweries pushing the limits and doing weird shit (except like Grimm's, and if that is your thing, you should definitely make it a point to check out each of their releases). I'm just looking for solid beers, nothing crazy. Good sixes. The scene here is less developed and that's exciting in and of itself. Sidenote: I was at Fulton Grand last weekend and have to say, they've really gone downhill this year. I used to go there more frequently about a year or two ago and they would regularly have 3 or 4 great beers on tap I was excited to try. Where do you live now? I can try to give you some good recs.

I'm a bit surprised that anyone would in NYC would call Lagunitas rare. It's been here forever and in large quantities. Bell's is different. It's a brewery people have been hearing about for years but only started distributing here in the spring/early summer. I'd cut some slack there, it's already kind of passing as Two Hearted is on tap everywhere.

I think the Midwest not distributing to NYC thing is a bit overblown. I'm from Michigan and we basically get every Michigan beer here except Short's (even Kuhnhenn's shows up here). Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Midwest breweries I'd be stoked to get (Surly, New Glarus, Three Floyds) don't really distribute outside of their homestates. I mean, Three Floyds is pretty spotty in Chicago and even if they did come here, it'd be damn near impossible to get any.

Re: NY breweries, Peekskill and Singlecut kind of stick out of that lineup you shared. Greenpoint and Coney Island are straight up terrible breweries. KelSo is also kind of bad (pains me to say as they're very local). Bronx works better if you think of their flagship as the SNPA of NY. I've been at a few bars where you can get a tallboy for $4 and that's not a bad deal at all. I've posted a ton about Sixpoint in this thread, but basically, check their seasonals and one-offs. They are much better than their regular lineup suggests.

Re: Peekskill, I admittedly haven't tried a ton of their beers, but 2 of their 3 that show up in the city are pretty great (Eastern Standard IPA and Simple Sour). Their only other beer I see regularly around here is Hop Common which does admittedly suck, but I find California Common to be a pretty shitty style so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I've heard great stuff about the beers up at their brewery, but have missed the few takeovers they've done here.

I think Singlecut is the best brewery in NYC by a considerable distance and strangely underrated. Their IPA game is a bit muddled (lots of releases, not all are great), but their other beers shine. Kim is a delicious, reasonably priced sour. Their dark lager, Dark Lyric, is excellent, and can be found with some regularity on nitro where it really shines. BA Dark Lyric is even better. Their flagship Dean is a really solid hoppy amber (excellent fresh). They also have a great black IPA I can't remember the name of. I just picked up a growler of a new IPA they did, Mo Shuggie, and it the best IPA I've had brewed in the city (kegged 2 days ago, so if you see it, try it). It's remarkable they're only 2 years old. They only just did their first bottle release (bon bon IIPA). If you can, go visit. They have a nice little place in an odd location.

Finback out in Queens is also relatively new and one to watch. Had a coffee porter from them a few weeks back that was good. Radiant Pig has done 2 solid beers, but they're just contracting now I think. There's a couple of micros in Long Island City that may grow into stuff as well (Big Alice, Transmitter).

Thanks for this post. I'll definitely take your advice on all these breweries. I think a big part of my problem is that most bars will have, say, Singlecut IPA, and it's not that great so I never buy a six pack of it because the label sticks out unfavorably in my mind. Or Rushing Duck, because Honey Seeker and the Imperial Red are fine but I don't like those styles much so I just file them away and don't consider trying their other offerings. I'm also not around a lot of beer people, and I think I've had a lot of hapless bartenders be a little too enthusiastic about Bell's and Lagunitas, although I really was using that example as an abstract pejorative general sense of how I see beer here. A lot of that perspective is probably rooted in the aimless wandering into any place with a bar for a couple months when I first moved here. Most of those places being bars to which I would never go under ordinary circumstances, like some clueless out-of-towner wandering into Coach's and unwittingly drinking one for the gipper and being like man this town sucks.

For me, the excited about beer thing had less to do with wild styles and more to do with seasonal sixpacks and the constantly expanding selection in Indiana as breweries entered the market. Like, if nothing interesting was in season (FFF Jinx Proof, for instance), I could always settle with Alpha King or Pride and Joy or fucking North Shore Scrimshaw, which I actually found here the other day so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. My gf worked at a microbrewery and it was a blast knowing the two brewers and sampling their rotating beers for a couple weeks at a time, and seeing some of them become perennial staple beers.

I guess Bloomington limited the venues in which I could experience beer to two bars, and the one liquor store, so the beer scene was under a microscope and I was aware of every seismic vibration. The real problem in New York is most likely that the bars I happen upon that even slightly present themselves as having a refined taplist are sort of basic and bland in scope (Allagash White, Bluepoint Toasted Lager, Captain Lawrence Liquid Gold, Stella, Flying Dog, Brooklyn Lager). If I were to really seek out a beer bar I'm sure I wouldn't be disappointed and would view the beer scene more positively but I don't want a beer bar. I want a local bar that happens to have a fantastic frequently rotating draught list with 2 or 3 solid staples, one cheap like gansett/pbr/high life. This is because the two best and sort of only non-frat party sports bars in my college town were the perfect example of this and I didn't realize how good I had it, I think. That's what I liked about Fulton Grand so much. It's a great neighborhood bar and they happen to have nice rotating taps. Apparently a couple of the owners (probably including the one from Indiana) got pushed out by the asshole who refuses to let bartenders comp even an occasional drink (probably that ripped asshole with the bandana who rides his bike up at 2am) and they've been rapidly declining since.

Anyway, now I live across from Clandestino on Canal street, Chinatown/LES. That's a great bar, but the beer selection is lacking. I've heard Fools Gold on Houston is great for beer but I always thought it looked really corny so I never tried it. When Mission Chinese opens I'll probably just live at the bar there. I guess I just want my "beer scene" to be simultaneously stellar and incidental. Because I'm a dickhead and didn't realize most of what I wrote until I just wrote it.
“Good seltzer should hurt,” reads the back of Brooklyn Seltzer Boys’ t-shirts

prexy

Postby prexy » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:44 am

Currently drinking: Ommegang Abbey Ale, the beer my two best friends used to relentlessly make fun of me for drinking because it's my girlfriend's name (they were joking though).
“Good seltzer should hurt,” reads the back of Brooklyn Seltzer Boys’ t-shirts

prexy

Postby The Munificent Motherwell » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:21 am

that epitome looks very tasty
do you know what is darkness?

VHGisdead wrote:i hate to experience things as hilarious and amazing

The Munificent Motherwell

Location: the stoner version of écrits (BRB—out fartlekin' to sloth & dormant & janeret)

Postby acidity regulator » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:58 pm

Northern Italy is so good for beer. I accidentally brought over some weed, drinking Panil and smoking on the hotel balcony in a bathrobe, seeing Juventus play tomorrow. Things are sometimes pretty great after all

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

acidity regulator
Site Admin

Postby Zurich » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:20 pm

prexy wrote:Thanks for this post. I'll definitely take your advice on all these breweries. I think a big part of my problem is that most bars will have, say, Singlecut IPA, and it's not that great so I never buy a six pack of it because the label sticks out unfavorably in my mind. Or Rushing Duck, because Honey Seeker and the Imperial Red are fine but I don't like those styles much so I just file them away and don't consider trying their other offerings. I'm also not around a lot of beer people, and I think I've had a lot of hapless bartenders be a little too enthusiastic about Bell's and Lagunitas, although I really was using that example as an abstract pejorative general sense of how I see beer here. A lot of that perspective is probably rooted in the aimless wandering into any place with a bar for a couple months when I first moved here. Most of those places being bars to which I would never go under ordinary circumstances, like some clueless out-of-towner wandering into Coach's and unwittingly drinking one for the gipper and being like man this town sucks.

For me, the excited about beer thing had less to do with wild styles and more to do with seasonal sixpacks and the constantly expanding selection in Indiana as breweries entered the market. Like, if nothing interesting was in season (FFF Jinx Proof, for instance), I could always settle with Alpha King or Pride and Joy or fucking North Shore Scrimshaw, which I actually found here the other day so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. My gf worked at a microbrewery and it was a blast knowing the two brewers and sampling their rotating beers for a couple weeks at a time, and seeing some of them become perennial staple beers.

I guess Bloomington limited the venues in which I could experience beer to two bars, and the one liquor store, so the beer scene was under a microscope and I was aware of every seismic vibration. The real problem in New York is most likely that the bars I happen upon that even slightly present themselves as having a refined taplist are sort of basic and bland in scope (Allagash White, Bluepoint Toasted Lager, Captain Lawrence Liquid Gold, Stella, Flying Dog, Brooklyn Lager). If I were to really seek out a beer bar I'm sure I wouldn't be disappointed and would view the beer scene more positively but I don't want a beer bar. I want a local bar that happens to have a fantastic frequently rotating draught list with 2 or 3 solid staples, one cheap like gansett/pbr/high life. This is because the two best and sort of only non-frat party sports bars in my college town were the perfect example of this and I didn't realize how good I had it, I think. That's what I liked about Fulton Grand so much. It's a great neighborhood bar and they happen to have nice rotating taps. Apparently a couple of the owners (probably including the one from Indiana) got pushed out by the asshole who refuses to let bartenders comp even an occasional drink (probably that ripped asshole with the bandana who rides his bike up at 2am) and they've been rapidly declining since.

Anyway, now I live across from Clandestino on Canal street, Chinatown/LES. That's a great bar, but the beer selection is lacking. I've heard Fools Gold on Houston is great for beer but I always thought it looked really corny so I never tried it. When Mission Chinese opens I'll probably just live at the bar there. I guess I just want my "beer scene" to be simultaneously stellar and incidental. Because I'm a dickhead and didn't realize most of what I wrote until I just wrote it.

We actually get TONS of new breweries all the time, but most of them are like the most middling west coast shit. it's very frustrating. If you're interested in what's new in town, check out Brew York New York (http://brewyorknewyork.com/). He basically reports on anything new.

I totally get what you're saying re: bars/beer bars. In Manhattan, it can be a real problem and when you do find a few good beers at a regular bar, they're way expensive. I still don't know where to get a beer in my work neighborhood and I've been there for 6 years. In Brooklyn, it's less of an issue. Basically at this point, if you don't have some good beers on tap, you're not gonna be in business long unless you're a cocktail bar.

Duuuuude. You have a ton of great stores and bars right around you though! I haven't been to Fool's Gold and thought it seemed shitty, but they do get good stuff. For stores, you should definitely check out the Whole Foods on Bowery (really), Top Hops (bottle shop/bar), and New Beer Distributors. The latter 2 are like, less than a 10 minute walk from your place. New Beer keeps weird hours but it is...unique. Just kind of a storage room with a shit ton of weird beers. Check dates on bottles there for sure. For bars, have you been to One Mile House? It's right next to Bowery Ballroom and generally has lots of great stuff. Not really a "craft beer bar" vibe ether. Also, Randolph Beer is very close. It's pricier, but they have a solid happy hour.

Whoa, that is really interesting/sad about Fulton Grand. I am somewhat buds with one of the owners from my days of being a regular at 4th Ave Pub (favorite bar in NYC). He used to do inventory on Sundays at FG and I didn't see him the last times I was in, so that might be it. If him and the other partner at 4th ave are the guys who got pushed out, that explains it. They're both great guys and the real beer dudes. I've been comp'd ridiculous amounts at 4th ave over the years, so def not either of those guys.

edit: oh also, in all my brewery talk, I didn't push Carton! They're one of the best in NJ/NY for sure. We only get kegs in NYC, but I endorse anything they do.

Zurich

Postby acidity regulator » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:12 pm

Currently drinking doesjel 2006 at a bar terrace. Is this supposed to have a moonshine side flavour? Weird but great, lots sour horse blanket
ImageImageImage

acidity regulator
Site Admin

Postby captain » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:25 pm

when's the last time you ate a horseblanket
ive been thinkin about my life lately and in short im goin A-WALL

captain

Postby easy » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:25 pm

eat horseblanket every day 8-)

easy
does it

Postby palmer eldritch » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:59 pm

prexy wrote:Currently drinking: Ommegang Abbey Ale, the beer my two best friends used to relentlessly make fun of me for drinking because it's my girlfriend's name (they were joking though).

your gf is named Ommegang?

palmer eldritch

Postby acidity regulator » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:13 pm

easy wrote:eat horseblanket every day 8-)

With a side of sour grapes
ImageImageImage

acidity regulator
Site Admin

Postby bongo » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:15 pm

just realized that i have one more allotment in this years SARA reserve, which i guess will be out in the new year before next years starts up

•awa with pinot grapes
•blended ba saison

totally thought it was over already, couldnt be more pleased
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life

bongo
man in hammock

Postby pez viking » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:23 pm

nibelheim wrote:just realized that i have one more allotment in this years SARA reserve, which i guess will be out in the new year before next years starts up

•awa with pinot grapes
•blended ba saison

I can pay you for one of your extras end hook you up with an el catador beer and/or some cycle if you're willing to give one up! ;) :barney:

pez viking

Postby acidity regulator » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:35 pm

The beer scene here is so strange. I got great sour bottles from black barrels, panil dudes new thing, for 6-7€ a bottle, now drinking a black IPA that is one of the best I've had but was 14 a bottle. Which I would never pay for this style but fuck rules when in Italy...

The black barrels guy had his shop walls loaded with his beers, apparently most of them are shipped to the states soon so watch out for them. Haven't tried a bottle yet but the samples he gave from barrels were very promising. He was the first guy to do sours around here, and seems like a crazy but good lad
ImageImageImage

acidity regulator
Site Admin

Postby acidity regulator » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:42 pm

Also this is on the TV and I don't understand shit but it's great http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gli_specialisti
ImageImageImage

acidity regulator
Site Admin

Postby Zurich » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:18 pm

acidity regulator wrote:The beer scene here is so strange. I got great sour bottles from black barrels, panil dudes new thing, for 6-7€ a bottle, now drinking a black IPA that is one of the best I've had but was 14 a bottle. Which I would never pay for this style but fuck rules when in Italy...

The black barrels guy had his shop walls loaded with his beers, apparently most of them are shipped to the states soon so watch out for them. Haven't tried a bottle yet but the samples he gave from barrels were very promising. He was the first guy to do sours around here, and seems like a crazy but good lad

i'm guessing the black IPA is that revelation cat up there? I had Alpha Blood when I was in Denmark, it was really good. They have the best labels, too.

Zurich

Postby bongo » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:22 pm

pez viking wrote:
nibelheim wrote:just realized that i have one more allotment in this years SARA reserve, which i guess will be out in the new year before next years starts up

•awa with pinot grapes
•blended ba saison

I can pay you for one of your extras end hook you up with an el catador beer and/or some cycle if you're willing to give one up! ;) :barney:

ill let you know but 99% sure i wont be looking to trade even if we get 2 of each. i tend not to trade sara

bongo
man in hammock

Postby pez viking » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:23 pm

No worries. Figured I'd ask!

pez viking

Postby bongo » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:29 pm

i can probably hook up some jackie os from the 12/5 release if you wanna put something together. should be great bottles.

bongo
man in hammock

Postby pez viking » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:39 pm

nibelheim wrote:i can probably hook up some jackie os from the 12/5 release if you wanna put something together. should be great bottles.

Give me a message when the time comes!

pez viking

Postby acidity regulator » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:41 pm

Zurich wrote:
acidity regulator wrote:The beer scene here is so strange. I got great sour bottles from black barrels, panil dudes new thing, for 6-7€ a bottle, now drinking a black IPA that is one of the best I've had but was 14 a bottle. Which I would never pay for this style but fuck rules when in Italy...

i'm guessing the black IPA is that revelation cat up there? I had Alpha Blood when I was in Denmark, it was really good. They have the best labels, too.

It's Toccalmatto B Space Invader, from the photo above, great label too... Got the revelation cat one also, their pub in Rome was crazy good. Lots of weird beers, the absinthe IPA was surprisingly killer and some ambitious sours too, they also made sure everyone got drunk by giving massive samples and surprise shots of their own shit. And the pub is called 4:20 :barney:
ImageImageImage

acidity regulator
Site Admin

Postby acidity regulator » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:02 pm

I'm really struggling with; most of the beers come in wine bottles and I'm traveling solo. I mean being drunk is great but I wanna do stuff tomorrow
ImageImageImage

acidity regulator
Site Admin

Postby Zurich » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:09 pm

acidity regulator wrote:
Zurich wrote:

It's Toccalmatto B Space Invader, from the photo above, great label too... Got the revelation cat one also, their pub in Rome was crazy good. Lots of weird beers, the absinthe IPA was surprisingly killer and some ambitious sours too, they also made sure everyone got drunk by giving massive samples and surprise shots of their own shit. And the pub is called 4:20 :barney:

oh nice! That label is awesome, the pic is huge and got cut off in my browser. I've never had Toccalmatto B, but I have their collab with Prairie in my fridge and will probably have that tonight. That's the only one of their beers I've seen here.

I would love to try an absinthe IPA, sounds like a place I've got to get to.

Zurich

Postby acidity regulator » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:16 pm

Oh right that massive photo thing happened again, whatever. Absinthe just made the hop bitterness a lingering burn. Surprised how smooth and sneaky it was, not out of place our cloying at all...
ImageImageImage

acidity regulator
Site Admin

Postby hey look » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:44 pm

Picked up two bcbs and this years abyss
hey look

Postby bongo » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:47 pm

pez viking wrote:
nibelheim wrote:i can probably hook up some jackie os from the 12/5 release if you wanna put something together. should be great bottles.

Give me a message when the time comes!

word!

bongo
man in hammock

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley