Quality Beer Thread

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby brent » Tue May 22, 2012 10:40 am

i spent like 500+ on beer to take home on my trip

ill take a pic later, shit's ridiculous

edit: norcal was a little disappointing for beer for me, personally. really could not find much stuff from bruery which is kind of what i was looking for, along with russian river stuff, which i could only find sanctification and damnation batch 23. 4 out of the 5 places i went were hiding russian river stuff behind the counter, but they all sold me stuff when i asked. i stayed a night in grand junction colorado, which is pretty fucking small, and they had better selections of russian river, bruery, and port than any of the places i went to in sf/davis/sac. still ended up getting some stuff i have always wanted to try (most notably sculpin) and i shouldn't have to buy beer for awhile.

also, cheyenne, wy is the biggest beer wasteland i've ever seen.
Last edited by brent on Tue May 22, 2012 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brent

Postby the scofflaw » Tue May 22, 2012 10:52 am

love that green flash west coast ipa
A novel by Chuck Palahniuk.

the scofflaw

Postby schmuck » Tue May 22, 2012 11:31 am

Got my box from let's pour finally. Was a little disappointed that the hub ipa's were somewhere between 1.5 and 2.5 months old (said bottled 3/12), but whatever, still tasted great, but not as good as truly fresh. I'll buy from them again, but only when i see something was recently added or doesn't need to be fresh.

schmuck

Postby gauchebag » Tue May 22, 2012 5:29 pm

i really liked the palate wrecker when i had it recently but i think it's because i had been staying away from IPAs for a while. i had two eight(?) oz pours and enjoyed both greatly

gauchebag

Postby REAL BASED SLOB » Wed May 23, 2012 10:48 pm

went to lucky bucket's brewery after work today and had one of the last couple pints of their small batch chocolate beer. incredible. tasted like dark chocolate, perfect mixture all around. wish they bottled it or had more on tap
When John Walsh refers to criminals as cowards and creeps I just get more jacked

REAL BASED SLOB

Postby vhg » Wed May 23, 2012 10:56 pm

picked up some Resin the other day, dude at the store compared it to Hopslam and I wouldn't go nearly that far but I like it

Admittedly I love the stupid can it comes in
Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.
vhg

Postby the scofflaw » Thu May 24, 2012 10:45 am

going to asheville for a couple of days, obv a ton of microbreweries. anyone have any particular recommendations?
A novel by Chuck Palahniuk.

the scofflaw

Postby mike » Thu May 24, 2012 11:15 am

the scofflaw wrote:going to asheville for a couple of days, obv a ton of microbreweries. anyone have any particular recommendations?

we spent basically a whole day in the thirsty monk basement drinking belgians, which are kinda my thing. everything else i had there was good but not great.
retired

mike

Postby mike » Thu May 24, 2012 11:16 am

VHGisdead wrote:picked up some Resin the other day, dude at the store compared it to Hopslam and I wouldn't go nearly that far but I like it

Admittedly I love the stupid can it comes in

i've been told there's a huge difference between resin in a can and resin on tap. tap is supposed to be a whole lot better.
retired

mike

Postby fury » Thu May 24, 2012 7:43 pm

did a vertical tasting of stone imperial russian stout last night. oh boy the 10 is some good shit. 11 is pretty good but not as good. 12 is better warm. also i had some 08 stone old guardian that was so fucking good and i usually hate barleywine.

fury
ok

Postby sevenarts » Thu May 24, 2012 8:08 pm

I really like the Green Flash West Coast and Palate Wrecker, but I recently tried their Imperial IPA and hated it. Part of it is that those onion-heavy hops aren't my thing, and they're especially heavy in this one, but even beyond that it just seemed like a total mess. Very disappointing.

sevenarts

Postby Dear You » Thu May 24, 2012 8:52 pm

I really love Southern Tier Mokah. Fuck.
they/them

Dear You

Postby Dear You » Tue May 29, 2012 11:09 pm

No posts in here for almost a week? For shame, bros.

Anyways. Bar I work out is gonna tap a bunch of new beers soon, and one of them in gonna be Flying Dog Wildeman. Found another local place with it in bottles so I grabbed one. Pretty tasty. If no customers like it, I'll drink all of it we got. :)
they/them

Dear You

Postby brent » Tue May 29, 2012 11:40 pm

im working my way through my haul

i finally tried sculpin and honestly i was a little disappointed. it was good still, though. union jack shits all over it though imo and its half the price

i fuckin love firestone walker...i wish i could get that shit here. picked up a bottle of wookey jack and parabola too

brent

Postby internethandle » Tue May 29, 2012 11:46 pm

i'm a huge firestone fanboy - was overjoyed when double jack pints were only like $6.50 here a week ago - but what was the bottled date on that sculpin? i'll give you that sculpin is now becoming even more normalized than pliny in terms of a beer that used to be impossible to get that is now on 24/7 at some irish pub here in long beach (sun araw is from here, i dunno), and i suspect the consistency is dipping as much, but it's still pretty much a leg above a lot of stuff. gonna depend on the batch and freshness, though. anyway, worth another shot if you get the chance. i had the stuff in D.C. when i was there last so it'll probably just keep getting more available.

internethandle
ok

Postby Cartman Sandiego » Wed May 30, 2012 1:26 am

Yeah I came back to California and tried Sculpin and Pliny for the first time in a year...and neither taste as good as I remember, but are still great. Wookey Jack is also way too roasty for me. I much prefer deschutes hop in the dark when I want a cascadian dark ale. I had the Firestone XV anniversary though, and that was incredible. Black Butte XXI and XXII and Abyss were also on tap at beer revolution in oakland a few weeks ago. XXI has aged incredibly well, so much chocolate. Also got to try the Heretic Brewing stuff for the first time. Jamil from Heretic has always been a homebrewing hero of mine as I started brewing using his recipes, and his beers don't disappoint at all. Evil Cousin is a fantastic DIPA and it finishes super dry (1.005 FG or something absurd like that) just like how I prefer my IPAs. As for the beer I missed most living in Chicago, Speedway Stout, it's just as good as ever and blows my mind every time as to how drinkable it is for a 12% imperial stout.

Anyone going to the firestone walker festival? I wish I had known about it sooner before the tickets sold out. The lineup looks amazing, a lot of stuff not available on the West Coast.

Cartman Sandiego
ok

Postby sky cracks open » Wed May 30, 2012 5:45 pm

Holy shit, what happened to my Framboise de Amorosa? This bottle must have gotten the bottom of the barrel or something. I've never before seen so much sediment in a beer. It still tasted good, but quite a bit different from what I remember the last time I had it. Tons of carbonation, too... probably from all the yeast.

sky cracks open

Postby pellegrino viking essays » Wed May 30, 2012 5:56 pm

gnarly
delonte west wrote:Eating chicken and riddin motorcycles

pellegrino viking essays

Postby brent » Wed May 30, 2012 5:57 pm

internethandle wrote:i'm a huge firestone fanboy - was overjoyed when double jack pints were only like $6.50 here a week ago - but what was the bottled date on that sculpin? i'll give you that sculpin is now becoming even more normalized than pliny in terms of a beer that used to be impossible to get that is now on 24/7 at some irish pub here in long beach (sun araw is from here, i dunno), and i suspect the consistency is dipping as much, but it's still pretty much a leg above a lot of stuff. gonna depend on the batch and freshness, though. anyway, worth another shot if you get the chance. i had the stuff in D.C. when i was there last so it'll probably just keep getting more available.

its supposed to be on the neck of the bottle, right? it's not there...but i suspect that it is fairly fresh. very piney. still a very good beer for sure.

and i also opened the wookey jack and kind of agree with potential boarder too, it's a little roastier than i like, and honestly if it did not have rye in the name of the beer i wouldn't have thought about it. i prefer the more citrus-y cascadian dark ales...sublimely self righteous is still the best example i have had of this style

it got a bit chilly here today and i threw in the unibroue grand reserve to try later

brent

Postby sordid affair » Wed May 30, 2012 6:08 pm

that chunky beer is freaking me out
andrei wrote: i heard james joyce is tough, this is probably like the james joyce of rap, ostensibly, if you wanna think of it in those terms. haha, and it bumps, too!

Alaskasoft Corporation wrote:Alaskasoft Corporation and Sordid Affair...two classic great men

sordid affair
chair in applied liberty

Location: the other side of mt. heart attack (in tiny pants, baking)

Postby Milquetoaster Strudels » Wed May 30, 2012 6:13 pm

Summit Saga IPA is delicious

Milquetoaster Strudels

Postby Hot Piece » Wed May 30, 2012 6:15 pm

got roaring drunk on lovely beer at my friends birthday last weekend. summer wine brewery surfin monk IPA on tap was revelatory, total mango/orange/hay bomb. great divide rumble IPA was also superb, really savoury smell, almost like fresh biscuit but intensely hoppy in the mouth. had some single hop brewdog specials on tap later on, the mouteka being particularly delicious and then ended the night with some crazy barley wine that i'm trying to get the name of. if any of you guys have stores which stock UK beer then i'd heartily recc the surfin monk or other beers (el diablo is good) from SWB.

Hot Piece

Postby sky cracks open » Wed May 30, 2012 7:30 pm

sordid affair wrote:that chunky beer is freaking me out

Yeah, I was skeptical, but it was still one of the best fruit sours I've ever had.

sky cracks open

Postby Damien Amadeus MetalWind » Wed May 30, 2012 7:35 pm

This beer

this is not a good beer
kid8 wrote:women should know when to go fucking home. or at least call it a night. the theatrics aren't helping niña.

Damien Amadeus MetalWind
ok

Postby Cartman Sandiego » Wed May 30, 2012 7:39 pm

yeah pretty terrible, tastes like cream soda.

Cartman Sandiego
ok

Postby brent » Wed May 30, 2012 7:57 pm

i kind of thought that summer solstice was good, considering the style

brent

Postby REAL BASED SLOB » Wed May 30, 2012 8:14 pm

double post poop
Last edited by REAL BASED SLOB on Wed May 30, 2012 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When John Walsh refers to criminals as cowards and creeps I just get more jacked

REAL BASED SLOB

Postby REAL BASED SLOB » Wed May 30, 2012 8:14 pm

almost forgot i have a beerfest to go to on saturday. i wanted to dry out a little this week but i gotta stay in drinking shape. gotta keep it together for the post-fest preview of a new brewery

REAL BASED SLOB

Postby wyatt » Thu May 31, 2012 11:27 pm

i got my order from letspour this afternoon. the firestone walker double jack is from 4/12/12 but still tastes great. really happy to try it.
wyatt

Postby orenji » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:04 am

I have had so much good stuff recently I should really post in here more but I get jealous of all the stuff I can't get.
The Tokyo craft beer fest is this weekend and a bar got the first kegs of zombie dust in Japan this week, getting excited.
かかってこい!

orenji

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley