Quality Beer Thread

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby swamp angel » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:10 pm

Also I don’t know if it’s like this everywhere, but it’s wild to walk into a Trader Joe’s and see like 10 cases of KBS just stacked on the floor with no fanfare whatsoever.

swamp angel

Postby southpaw » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:40 pm

I'm getting faded at great notion with my parents and it's a flurry of the hangries and them not understanding wtf these beers are

Good day!

southpaw

Postby southpaw » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:25 pm

"These beers are watery!"

southpaw

Postby tonybricker » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:00 pm

I have had three Hudson Valley beers in the last few weeks and they were all stellar in spite of sounding very extra in the description. Anybody familiar with them?
I have had:
Symmetrical Garden: Sour DIPA with raw wheat, malted oat, milk sugar, pineapple purée, caramel, coconut flakes, Colombian Nariño & Brazilian Machado coffee, vanilla; hopped with Citra. This beer was my favorite thing at the Monkish Anniversary event, which had a ton of great beers
Kaizen: Sour IPA w/ wheat & malted oat, milk sugar, green tea & cherry blossoms; hopped w/ Citra & Mosaic
Glycerin: Double Fruit Sour DIPA with raw wheat, malted oat, milk sugar, and boysenberries — hopped with El Dorado

if by some chance anyone has easy access, I would be happy to trade some member beers from Casa Agria, Highland Park, or Modern Times

tonybricker

Postby pez viking » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:16 pm

Hudson Valley makes amazing beer

pez viking

Postby warmjets » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:54 pm

brent wrote:speaking of bell's i was shocked to find myself really enjoying that flamingo fruit fight beer a couple of weeks ago. i wish it was a summer release

I had a can of that this weekend when it was 70s and sunny and damn it hit the spot. Not something I'd drink a lot of but it was nice

Is their Official IPA any good?

*sips two hearted*

warmjets

Postby Contristo » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:30 am

HVB Kaizen was so good.

I would probably love some massive green tea sour IPA from them, based on that. Never knew green tea could be implemented so beautifully into beer.

Their line life is a shitshow with people putting down chairs at 6pm the day before a noon release, but usually cans will last until 2-3pm with no lines for the last hour or so. Any Glycerin release sells out within the hour though and you probably won’t get much unless you line up at 9am. The darker the sour, the bigger the hype, with HVB at least it seems.

Pretty spoiled that Equilibrium and Hudson Valley Brewing are accessible for me. I was living in the barren beer wasteland of northern NJ for years before moving to the Hudson Valley, and now the options - EQ, HVB, Suarez, Sloop, all the NYC stuff, Plan Bee, etc - are enormous. I usually frequent EQ the most since their releases don’t involve waiting in line. Rushing Duck is a notch below in terms of IPA/sours, but their dark and barrel beers are fantastic and their brewery/food truck is my favorite place to be. No pretension whatsoever.

Anyway, I recommend the Hudson Valley for a beercation. Base around a Hudson Valley release, which occurs once every two weeks, and pick up that and whatever EQ releases that week too (they release something every week). They’re about 45min from each other, a straight shot down the highway.

Contristo

Postby warmjets » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:28 am

Suarez is the best

warmjets

Postby tonybricker » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:19 am

Contristo, thanks for the Hudson Valley info. I should have known they’d be hyped up based on quality. The HV / EQ / Suarez proximity is actually really appealing for a beercation...

Had a Highland Park Huge imperial stout last night, it’s better than any of the Griffith J Griffith variants I have tried...and I like GJG

tonybricker

Postby Contristo » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:30 pm

No problem!

Drinking a Toppling Goliath Fire, Skulls & Money right now -- really good, tons of pineapple and dankness. had King Sue recently as well and it was great, clean and citrusy. hope they keep distributing these here. these are tasty enough to make the $6/can justifiable.

Contristo

Postby warmjets » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:24 pm

We got a small drop of Modern Times stuff

Fucking love Booming Rollers. Super clean west coast IPA

warmjets

Postby powderfinger » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:46 am

Have you DC dudes gone to Astro Lab in Silver Spring yet? They are slinging the good IPAs.

powderfinger

Postby swamp angel » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:20 am

I’ve been meaning to check out Astro Lab. I picked up a sixer of Silver Branch’s “northeast IPA” and it was mediocre at best. Not really an NEIPA in any sense, just a west coast IPA with no bitterness which made it a bit cloying.

Other DC specific beer stuff: DC Brau re-brewed Smells Like Freedom and it’s nothing like the 2016 version. Not sure if the hop bill changed, but it’s pretty disappointing if you liked the original.

swamp angel

Postby warmjets » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:39 am

their new IPA Joint Resolution is pretty solid, i was surprised

warmjets

Postby brent » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:41 am

warmjets wrote:We got a small drop of Modern Times stuff

Fucking love Booming Rollers. Super clean west coast IPA

seems like modern times is expanding quickly, they're coming to nebraska even. always liked their stuff, i'm excited

brent

Postby powderfinger » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:58 am

shankly wrote:I’ve been meaning to check out Astro Lab. I picked up a sixer of Silver Branch’s “northeast IPA” and it was mediocre at best. Not really an NEIPA in any sense, just a west coast IPA with no bitterness which made it a bit cloying.

Other DC specific beer stuff: DC Brau re-brewed Smells Like Freedom and it’s nothing like the 2016 version. Not sure if the hop bill changed, but it’s pretty disappointing if you liked the original.

Astro Lab is doing real deal NE IPAs. Seems like they're still working out their recipes because they had several different batches of the same beers on tap, but the baseline level of quality was very high across the board. Generally reminiscent of Other Half? I liked their saison too.

I knew the place had opened but something about the branding, news clips, initial list of beers, etc. said "generic brewery" like so many of the other newish Maryland breweries so I didn't go out of my way. Quarry House had one of their beers on tap Friday night and we booked it across Georgia Ave after dinner to try more...

powderfinger

Postby warmjets » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:03 am

What's another good excuse to go to Silver Spring? Wife does not drink beer so I need to come up with something

warmjets

Postby powderfinger » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:05 am

AFI

powderfinger

Postby warmjets » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:06 am

Good call. Thanks

warmjets

Postby schmuck » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:04 pm

Good tip on Astro Lab. Family vacation (really just my wife has a conference and my son and i are being dragged along) to DC area next month and we'll be staying with my wifes sister who lives in Silver Springs. Will def try and hit that up.

I really have no expectation of having any 'me' time to do anything so if i have just 1 place to hit up and it's close it'll be a win.

schmuck

Postby deadwolfbones » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:16 pm

Modern Times goes back to its crowdfunding roots: https://www.brewbound.com/news/valuing- ... a-wefunder
dead was real dumb

deadwolfbones

Postby swamp angel » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:19 pm

Jesus I forgot Ballast Point sold for a billion dollars

swamp angel

Postby powderfinger » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:31 pm

what the schmuck wrote:Good tip on Astro Lab. Family vacation (really just my wife has a conference and my son and i are being dragged along) to DC area next month and we'll be staying with my wifes sister who lives in Silver Springs. Will def try and hit that up.

I really have no expectation of having any 'me' time to do anything so if i have just 1 place to hit up and it's close it'll be a win.

If you have the chance to do anything else, check out the Right Proper location in Brookland. Quick Metro ride from Silver Spring and it's the other best brewery close into the city. Very chill spot (and baby friendly).

I'd say hit me up since I live in Silver Spring, but I'll be gone most of May...

powderfinger

Postby brent » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:23 pm

shelfie alert for mountain/midwest friends...odell mountain standard IPA is real good. i just tried it for the first time a couple of weeks ago because i had no idea it was a completely different beer (it used to be a seasonal black dipa)

brent

Postby vhg » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:23 pm

Hudson Valley The Problem of Other Minds is one of the best beers I've ever had
Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.
vhg

Postby tonybricker » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:54 pm

the two Modern Times member stouts I've tried so far - Dragon Mask and Beastmaster - were both outstanding, I'm excited for the rest of the year

tonybricker

Postby tonybricker » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:54 pm

VHGisdead wrote:Hudson Valley The Problem of Other Minds is one of the best beers I've ever had

I want to try all of their beers!

tonybricker

Postby gazedo » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:20 pm

Utah self beer alert, Moab pilsner is legit good and at less than $7 for a 4 pack of tallboys, is a great deal.

gazedo

Postby fury » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:44 pm

#shelfietalk alpine pitcher perfect is really good. I really like ipas/hoppy pales in the 5.5 to 6% range

fury
ok

Postby warmjets » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:47 pm

Who makes their beer now? Used to be green flash and it was terrible but aren't they bankrupt

warmjets

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley