Quality Beer Thread

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby pissydan » Thu May 03, 2012 4:01 pm

i dont have any dark lord zombie shit, but my boys just tapped this, for a pre-playoff game brew:

As life would have it, Johnny did somebody wrong and they filed a complaint.

pissydan
|ᵆ|>

Postby wyatt » Thu May 03, 2012 4:33 pm

landspeedrecord wrote:wyatt,

Even though I'm pretty much 100% against aging fruit beers (krieks, lambics, etc), sour browns are awesome with some time on em. However, I don't think that the Bruery treats their stuff with any pedio or other shit to boost acidity, so I dunno if that Otiose is gonna get much more sour, but that guava's gonna drop out quick, so age at your own risk.

i am not talking about aging it for years, just a little while. the bottle says it can be cellared for up to three years. also i am not positive but, i think they add pedio in the sour bacteria mix.

I am getting two bottles of the bruery's tart of darkness a sour stout aged in black tuesday barrels with the bruery's sour bacteria and wild yeast. should at least be interesting.
wyatt

Postby wyatt » Thu May 03, 2012 4:35 pm

honkduh wrote:
wyatt wrote:Did anyone who went to DLD get a barrel aged dark lord?

You can get one off Ebay for $315.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dark-Lord-2012-Barrel-Aged-with-Vanilla-Beans-643-934-/170832899611?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c66f2e1b#ht_500wt_1287

oh yeah. i didn't want one to try to get one. I just wanted to know if any hpn people got one. from what i understand the odds were pretty good this year.
wyatt

Postby internethandle » Thu May 03, 2012 7:47 pm

landspeedrecord that's sort of an odd idea since wild yeast-innoculated beer like lambic is usually considered more cellarable than most styles. the wild yeasts in question are going to begin working on the sugars of any fruit present pretty much right away, so i guess the purity or accuracy of the fruit flavor would also be reduced with more time, but when you're adding wild yeast to any beer the whole point is what the wild yeast does in interplay with the original or base ingredients. i mean, i guess also that you're not going to be able to age them like a thomas hardy's or something more robust in nature (over 10 years or something ridiculous), but up to 5 or 6 years probably would be fine for, say, a cantillon framboise.

edit: i guess i'm wrong after reading some posts on beeradvocate's aging forum, but it doesn't necessarily seem like a consensus. still, there are a lot of actual brewers of lambics recommending their fruit varieties be drunk fresh. i guess i'm just such a funk/sour fan that i'm more biased toward the brett/lacto/whatever characteristics. i know i've had a great cellared fruit-based cantillon or 3F, at least.

internethandle
ok

Postby wyatt » Thu May 03, 2012 8:14 pm

internethandle wrote:landspeedrecord that's sort of an odd idea since wild yeast-innoculated beer like lambic is usually considered more cellarable than most styles. the wild yeasts in question are going to begin working on the sugars of any fruit present pretty much right away, so i guess the purity or accuracy of the fruit flavor would also be reduced with more time, but when you're adding wild yeast to any beer the whole point is what the wild yeast does in interplay with the original or base ingredients. i mean, i guess also that you're not going to be able to age them like a thomas hardy's or something more robust in nature (over 10 years or something ridiculous), but up to 5 or 6 years probably would be fine for, say, a cantillon framboise.

edit: i guess i'm wrong after reading some posts on beeradvocate's aging forum, but it doesn't necessarily seem like a consensus. still, there are a lot of actual brewers of lambics recommending their fruit varieties be drunk fresh. i guess i'm just such a funk/sour fan that i'm more biased toward the brett/lacto/whatever characteristics. i know i've had a great cellared fruit-based cantillon or 3F, at least.

At Cantillon he recommends you drink them within a year to let the fruit aspect shine, but there are storys of him taking out and sharing 10+ year old bottles of fruit lambics. I think if possible drink one fresh and age the other. That way you can taste it fruit forward and taste it when the bugs get a chance to take over. The fruit often makes it more sour over time than regular lambics.
wyatt

Postby SNC » Fri May 04, 2012 7:22 am

You can age lots of stuff people say not too. I've had 4 year old 90 minute that are still good, different than fresh 90 min but still tasty

SNC

Postby brent » Fri May 04, 2012 9:00 pm

SNC wrote:You can age lots of stuff people say not too. I've had 4 year old 90 minute that are still good, different than fresh 90 min but still tasty

yeah, i dont really agree with a lot of the BA cellaring postings. alot of those clowns say to stop aging after 1-2 years, but i've had plenty of great 3+ year beers that are great and unique from other vintages. to me as long as the carbonation level is still appropriate for the style, i find it at the very least interesting to see how it tastes.

people on there will say "drink this immediately because it has X", x being some fruit or coffee or whatever addition...recently had a side by side comparison of last years bourbon county / bourbon county coffee, and there was a huge difference between the two

brent

Postby brent » Fri May 04, 2012 9:10 pm

oh also not sure how many here have had it but that new belgium tart lychee is one of the best beers. very unique take on a wild and at $7/bomber the price is unbeatable. i've already bought 15 bombers. wooooo

brent

Postby evil olive » Fri May 04, 2012 11:54 pm

Now drinking this Norwegian beer: Odin's Tipple. 11% Russian Imperial Stout.
I was pretty stoked to try this one. Highly rated beer. 100 by Beer Advocate.

It's fucking horrendous. I don't know how they got the head in this picture. This thing is dead flat with minimal carbonation and upon further reading I did not get a bad bottle. It's all hot alcohol on the nose and in the back of the throat but mostly I feel like I'm breathing fire from the aftertaste.

I really think RIS get unjustifiably high ratings on beer sights. It's like if you can cram 11% into a bottle of beer the beer nerds suddenly are agog. I mean show me some roastiness or just fucking balance the thing so I don't feel like I'm drinking cheap scotch.

so disappointed right now.
listen,

evil olive

Postby evil olive » Sat May 05, 2012 12:00 am

but i've had a tough week and i need every percentage point of that 11 right now
listen,

evil olive

Postby honkduh » Sat May 05, 2012 12:20 am

Firestone walker 14th anniversary is delicious

honkduh

Postby honkduh » Sat May 05, 2012 12:25 am

honkduh wrote:anyone try this yet?

good?

This was gross.

honkduh

Postby gauchebag » Sat May 05, 2012 1:10 am

yeah of course it was

gauchebag

Postby Cartman Sandiego » Sat May 05, 2012 9:11 pm

got my hands on some bombers of rye'd the lightning tonight.

Cartman Sandiego
ok

Postby darger » Sat May 05, 2012 9:34 pm

Potential Boarder wrote:got my hands on some bombers of rye'd the lightning tonight.

it's a good rye and not supposed to stay in production.

darger
ok

Postby wyatt » Sat May 05, 2012 10:00 pm

i counted the beer i am cellaring and decided i need to drink more. haha.
wyatt

Postby wyatt » Sat May 05, 2012 10:04 pm

brent wrote:
SNC wrote:You can age lots of stuff people say not too. I've had 4 year old 90 minute that are still good, different than fresh 90 min but still tasty

yeah, i dont really agree with a lot of the BA cellaring postings. alot of those clowns say to stop aging after 1-2 years, but i've had plenty of great 3+ year beers that are great and unique from other vintages. to me as long as the carbonation level is still appropriate for the style, i find it at the very least interesting to see how it tastes.

people on there will say "drink this immediately because it has X", x being some fruit or coffee or whatever addition...recently had a side by side comparison of last years bourbon county / bourbon county coffee, and there was a huge difference between the two

how does everyone else "age" beers? i store them in a wine cooler my room mate didn't want. keeps everything at 55 degrees.
wyatt

Postby Shalabi » Sat May 05, 2012 10:11 pm

wyatt wrote:
brent wrote:

how does everyone else "age" beers? i store them in a wine cooler my room mate didn't want. keeps everything at 55 degrees.

i'd keep them out of the light more than anything else. obvious room-temp or less too.

Shalabi

Postby sky cracks open » Sat May 05, 2012 10:38 pm

I don't really have additional fridge space, so I just keep them in the dark in my basement. In the winter it's around 55-60, and in the summer it's 65-68.

I haven't had anything go bad yet, except for a few that I forgot were down there and weren't meant to be aged. They were just a bit flat.

It's kind of nice to forget what's down there sometimes. If I check once every year or two, I get some nice surprises.

sky cracks open

Postby brent » Sun May 06, 2012 12:39 am

i just throw shit in my pantry, and im on the top floor of a duplex so i dont have the basement option. it probably gets to ~80 or so at times. i wouldn't mind having some sort of wine type refrigeration thing, but i have not had a beer that tastes off or bad yet.

brent

Postby internethandle » Sun May 06, 2012 3:24 am

i feel like cellaring properly is really probably an important thing if you're going to cellar, and so living from apartment to apartment i've never really bothered. if i was going to do it i've always thought i'd just buy a dedicated mini fridge and set the temp to something optimal (like 55 deg[!])

i've had a lot of cellared beer from other people (like 9 plus old stuff, i've had a 1994 thomas hardy's, e.g.) that was oxidized as hell. oxidation can be very subtle, too, and some people even enjoy oxidation characteristics (i do! at least some of them i can live with). still, it's diffcult to do it properly. i really, really am skeptical of ipa aging or dipa aging - it's kind of taking the fruit lambic aging idea i'm implying to an extreme, as there's nothing emphatic in the malt or yeast body ingredients-wise, in most ipa's, to play upon or enhance the hop character. ipa's, in other words, ARE their hop character. the hop-forward nature of ipa's influences my general dislike for east coast ipa's and, generally, their emphasis on malt character.

jesus christ fuck me

internethandle
ok

Postby Kuboaa » Sun May 06, 2012 5:35 am

darger wrote:
VHGisdead wrote:I'm gonna be in Chicago tonight through Sat morning. Am I going to have any luck finding Zombie Dust?

looks like it but i would definitely call ahead:

http://www.beermenus.com/beers/three-floyds-zombie-dust?order=recent

my local store just ran out, but had it stocked for quite awhile, so if you call ahead to a couple Binny's or maybe an Armanetti I'm sure you can find some

Kuboaa

Postby Contristo » Sun May 06, 2012 10:49 am

internethandle wrote:the hop-forward nature of ipa's influences my general dislike for east coast ipa's and, generally, their emphasis on malt character.

jesus christ fuck me

i agree. this is why i can never get into english pale ale's, or any east coast ipa that's not trying to emulate a west coast ipa for that matter.

Contristo

Postby landspeedrecord » Sun May 06, 2012 1:04 pm

I age my beers in plastic footlockers I keep in my parents' basement (it ranges from 55 to 65 degrees). Based on my own experiences with it since I started cellaring shit in 2007, I've had the best luck with Lagunitas Olde GnarlyWine, J.W. Lees, Fuller's Vintage, Stone RIS, pretty much all gueuzes, Chimay Blue, Orval, & Struise stouts/BSDAs. However, it has less to do with the style and more to do with what is rough around the edges in a beer. It's almost always good to age something that is super boozy (Stone Russian Imperial Stout is brutal fresh, but perfect with a year or two on it). If it's too sweet, time will probably only make it sweeter and lessen the carbonation to boot, but if it's complex enough a lil time can be good (Celebrator Doppelbock is great with time on it). Hoppy beers usually hit a dead zone when the hop flavor gets stale and starts to drop out. 3-4 year old Bigfoot can taste weird on account of this phenomenon. I had a taste of that 18 (?) year old keg they brought to Extreme Beer Fest 3 years ago, and it was just insane. But with kegs I guess you don't have to worry about the sped-up oxidation process bottles go through. Coffee forward beers don't age well, because it drops out real quick. Unless you don't like coffee notes (why are you buying those beers then?). Founders Imperial Stout ages far better than their Breakfast Stout on account of the alcohol/coffee factors, imo.

Brett and shit can be great most of the time, but I had a 3-year-old bottle of Ommegeddon that tasted like rotten lemons, and not in a good way. I've extensively cellared Ithaca Brute, and find it's better fresh, it loses its immaculate, spritzy mouthfeel as it ages, gets a tad syrupy 2/3 years in. Still great aged though it never really gets more sour. But too often I've had wild ales or lambics which while still tasty 2 or 3 years down the line, were missing my favorite aspect: the fruit (e.g. Cascade Apricot, 3F Schaerbeekse Kriek, Ithaca LeBleu, RR Consecration). Maybe they're just in the middle of a "dead zone" and will be better in a few years, who knows? I found these dusty 10-year-old bottles of Cantillon + 3F Gueuze at a local beer distributor a few years back, and they were incredible. Who's to say that a Cantillon Kriek won't be just as good under similar circumstances, but I dunno if I have the willpower to lay stuff down for that long when it's so expensive and the odds are so bad.

My 2 cents.
rather be an idiot than a sheeple

landspeedrecord

Postby sky cracks open » Sun May 06, 2012 2:55 pm

I have a bunch of Lees Harvest ales dating back to '98, and they seem to be aging better than my Thomas Hardy ales from 04-06. I expected them to be about the same, but the Hardy picked up a slightly funky taste. It's not bad, just different than I expected. I'm guessing that will get even worse with age, but I'm keeping them cellared in hopes that it eventually becomes something delicious.

sky cracks open

Postby landspeedrecord » Sun May 06, 2012 2:59 pm

Those '98s are seriously perfect right now... just about my favorite beer!

Enjoy!
rather be an idiot than a sheeple

landspeedrecord

Postby sky cracks open » Sun May 06, 2012 5:58 pm

Yeah, I have an old Lees Harvest about once a year. They've all been delicious so far. I'm glad I bought so many when I had the chance.

sky cracks open

Postby REAL BASED SLOB » Sun May 06, 2012 6:48 pm

bought a six pack of founders red's rye pa, it rules
When John Walsh refers to criminals as cowards and creeps I just get more jacked

REAL BASED SLOB

Postby internethandle » Sun May 06, 2012 11:05 pm

landspeedrecord wrote:I age my beers in plastic footlockers I keep in my parents' basement (it ranges from 55 to 65 degrees). Based on my own experiences with it since I started cellaring shit in 2007, I've had the best luck with Lagunitas Olde GnarlyWine, J.W. Lees, Fuller's Vintage, Stone RIS, pretty much all gueuzes, Chimay Blue, Orval, & Struise stouts/BSDAs. However, it has less to do with the style and more to do with what is rough around the edges in a beer. It's almost always good to age something that is super boozy (Stone Russian Imperial Stout is brutal fresh, but perfect with a year or two on it). If it's too sweet, time will probably only make it sweeter and lessen the carbonation to boot, but if it's complex enough a lil time can be good (Celebrator Doppelbock is great with time on it). Hoppy beers usually hit a dead zone when the hop flavor gets stale and starts to drop out. 3-4 year old Bigfoot can taste weird on account of this phenomenon. I had a taste of that 18 (?) year old keg they brought to Extreme Beer Fest 3 years ago, and it was just insane. But with kegs I guess you don't have to worry about the sped-up oxidation process bottles go through. Coffee forward beers don't age well, because it drops out real quick. Unless you don't like coffee notes (why are you buying those beers then?). Founders Imperial Stout ages far better than their Breakfast Stout on account of the alcohol/coffee factors, imo.

Brett and shit can be great most of the time, but I had a 3-year-old bottle of Ommegeddon that tasted like rotten lemons, and not in a good way. I've extensively cellared Ithaca Brute, and find it's better fresh, it loses its immaculate, spritzy mouthfeel as it ages, gets a tad syrupy 2/3 years in. Still great aged though it never really gets more sour. But too often I've had wild ales or lambics which while still tasty 2 or 3 years down the line, were missing my favorite aspect: the fruit (e.g. Cascade Apricot, 3F Schaerbeekse Kriek, Ithaca LeBleu, RR Consecration). Maybe they're just in the middle of a "dead zone" and will be better in a few years, who knows? I found these dusty 10-year-old bottles of Cantillon + 3F Gueuze at a local beer distributor a few years back, and they were incredible. Who's to say that a Cantillon Kriek won't be just as good under similar circumstances, but I dunno if I have the willpower to lay stuff down for that long when it's so expensive and the odds are so bad.

My 2 cents.

good post

again i don't have nearly as much experience cellaring as someone like you, but i've tried a fair number of cellared bottles and kegs and stone RIS is undoubtedly one the most available beers that benefits immensely from age. when i first started going to my local beer bar three years ago or so they put on kegs of 2005 through 2008 stone RIS (this was in 2009) and it was insane how much better the older vintages were. as an RIS it's pretty meh in comparison to the abyss or something when fresh, but i think even the abyss doesn't get as much of a boost from cellaring as stone's.

internethandle
ok

Postby pissydan » Mon May 07, 2012 4:38 pm

http://lautering.com/2012/05/07/read-an ... tennessee/

Having a calm Monday? You won’t be after you read about how a Budweiser distributor in Tennessee is bullying a small-time brewer.

The war for tap space has been going for a long time, but Calfkiller Breweing Company is being attacked on a whole new level. From the brewery:

Grab your Kool aid kids and take a seat. Here’s the story of Calfkiller Brewing Company, and Budweiser of TN.
Once upon a time there was this little guy (Calfkiller Brewing Company). A very honest hard working little guy with a dream to make great beer that folks could enjoy. After many years of hard work this dream became reality. Slowly but surely the little guy was rubbing shoulders with the big guys in the market place. All was well…….or so they thought.

So what happened that was so outrageous? Well:

Over the years the little guy has purchased used kegs from all across the country. A few examples would be unclaimed freight auctions, breweries that have closed, or keg companies that sell new, used, and refurbished kegs. Anyone can purchase these, and Calfkiller has done it as well. Everything from website sales to store fronts in public with huge signs by the road for everyone to see. LEGIT businesses! So Calfkiller has been using kegs like these from day one.
Smooth sailing and all has seemed well…..until about a month ago! That’s when the “Budweiser keg police” began trying to strong arm the little guy. Now no one is sure really why. Maybe they simply want the entire market. Maybe they simply don’t like the little guys. Maybe they got their first quarter reports for 2012, and noticed the little guy had taken a piece of their pie. The only thing the little guy knows for sure is the truth isn’t in them so it does no good to ask questions at Budweiser in TN.
So the big monopoly Budweiser has started walking in to accounts, and simply taking the little guys kegs! FLIRTING WITH SLANDER they have told business owners that Calfkiller had stole the kegs.

There’s not much Calfkiller can do, and even less that we can do. But we can share it, spread the word, and turn this into a PR disaster for Budweiser. A major multi-national corporation is bullying a locally-owned small business because they make better beer.
As life would have it, Johnny did somebody wrong and they filed a complaint.

pissydan
|ᵆ|>

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley