Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby warmjets » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:10 am

get von trapp now and i couldnt be more excited

their pils is solid as fuck
warmjets

Postby Birds vs Worms » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:06 pm

Can anyone give me any recs for beer bars in LA?
Birds vs Worms

Postby jalapeño ranch » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:17 pm

Here are some of my reccs from a few pages back. I can try and give a few more whenever I'm not busy. Any area specifically?

jalapeño ranch wrote:
Oh! Sweet Nuthin' wrote:hey guys I just moved to LA after living the beer boy lifestyle in New England and NC and I'm adjusting to life here. I've already been to The Hermosillo and picked up some tasty enough Modern Times, Swami and Fremont at my local Van Nuys BevMo. What I'm trying to say is who wants to pick me up and drive to Torrance because I don't own a car, or tell me about the cool beer boy bars cause I need new friends who know too much about this game as well

You've already hit my main spots (HPB & Modern Times), but Cellador should be opening up their taproom sometime in September. Mikkeller is decent and only a block or two away from Modern Times. I usually head there on Mondays or Tuesdays when it's $15 flight nights since their prices are kind of terrible. I'd also recommend grabbing a chicken sandwich at Birdie's next door instead of eating there because their food is always disappointing to me.

Visit Beachwood and Beachwood Blendery down in Long Beach if you get the chance.

For restaurants/bars with good beer selection, I like Beer Belly, Glendale Tap, The Federal, Southland Beer, Tony's Darts Away, Lucky Baldwin's, and Verdugo Bar. The Local Peasant has a decent selection too and their food is pretty good.

For bottle shops, Vendome Toluca Lake, Vendome Beverly Hills, Handy Market and Bill's Liquor in Burbank, and Sunset Beer Co. Southland Beer also has a few fridges you can buy to go and their selection is usually pretty nice. They're the main place in LA where I can find stuff from Alvarado Street.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:
jalapeño ranch

Postby Birds vs Worms » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:45 pm

Thanks dude, I appreciate it.
Birds vs Worms

Postby deadwolfbones » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:08 pm

captain wrote:AA is doing cool stuff but that price point is just too extreme. still, i pick up a bottle or two each year when they inevitably go on sale

I had a 4oz pour of Ralph and bought a $35 bottle after the first sip. I dunno, man.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby jalapeño ranch » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:15 pm

I’ve yet to try anything from them solely because of their prices.

Although I think Horus Aged Ales’ prices are the most egregious mark ups lately. I’ve really enjoyed the beers I’ve tried from them but they’re already pushing $55 bottles for non-BA stouts and... come on, man.
jalapeño ranch

Postby Oh! Sweet Nuthin' » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:13 pm

Any LA people thinking of going to the Cantillon event at Mikkeller in a couple weeks? I've have some pretty crazy zwanze day experiences in new england in the past so I hope this is relatively chill. Going to the Dead Ringers screening w/Cronenberg at Beyond Fest that night so I might make a beer day of it beforehand

who am I kidding I make every day a beer day, let me know if anyone needs an excuse to go to highland park or modern times or wherever
Oh! Sweet Nuthin'

Postby easy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:16 pm

Birds vs Worms wrote:Can anyone give me any recs for beer bars in LA?

tony's darts away, bruh
easy
does it

Postby deadwolfbones » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:24 pm

Oh! Sweet Nuthin' wrote:Any LA people thinking of going to the Cantillon event at Mikkeller in a couple weeks? I've have some pretty crazy zwanze day experiences in new england in the past so I hope this is relatively chill. Going to the Dead Ringers screening w/Cronenberg at Beyond Fest that night so I might make a beer day of it beforehand

who am I kidding I make every day a beer day, let me know if anyone needs an excuse to go to highland park or modern times or wherever

I always think about going to Mikkeller events and then don't because $$$.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby orenji » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:56 pm

Speaking of mikkeller, the mikkeller beer celebration tokyo is on Sunday and Monday. It's the first fest like this ever in Japan and is probably going to be a shit show but at least I get to go for free.
かかってこい!
orenji

Postby jalapeño ranch » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:00 pm

Literally just got back from Modern Times or I would've tried to meet up there later.

And yeah, I'm not heading to the Cantillon event solely because MIkkeller's prices kill my wallet. Also the very small amount of bottles available leads me to believe it'll be a bit rough but who knows?

I'm most likely going to HPB's Oktoberfest or Cellador's 2nd year anniversary event though.

And I'm at one of the HPB locations at least once a week so I'm always down for some beers.
jalapeño ranch

Postby deadwolfbones » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:16 pm

I will be at HPB this evening (prob. around opening to 6pm) if anyone is planning to come by.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby brent » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:20 pm

I'm so beered out lately
brent

Postby gazedo » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:22 pm

deadwolfbones wrote:I will be at HPB this evening (prob. around opening to 6pm) if anyone is planning to come by.

it seems like there is enough LA boarders we should probably plan a HPB meetup at some point. aren't you, me, and jalepeno all in k-town?
gazedo

Postby deadwolfbones » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:53 pm

gazedo wrote:
deadwolfbones wrote:I will be at HPB this evening (prob. around opening to 6pm) if anyone is planning to come by.

it seems like there is enough LA boarders we should probably plan a HPB meetup at some point. aren't you, me, and jalepeno all in k-town?

I'm up in the foothills (La Canada/La Crescenta). But yes, good idea. Esp. if it happens before I move at the end of October.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby Oh! Sweet Nuthin' » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:19 pm

I wish I could. I think I'm going to check Tony's Darts Away and Handy Market this weekend since they're both relatively close to me if anyone else is interested. but yeah a boarder meet-up would be good
Oh! Sweet Nuthin'

Postby tonybricker » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:51 am

Oh! Sweet Nuthin' wrote:

I wish I could. I think I'm going to check Tony's Darts Away and Handy Market this weekend since they're both relatively close to me if anyone else is interested. but yeah a boarder meet-up would be good

Both of those are great options
tonybricker

Postby Oh! Sweet Nuthin' » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:44 am

tonybricker wrote:
Oh! Sweet Nuthin' wrote:

Both of those are great options

Also don't know how much of a big deal it is here but a bar in Sherman Oaks tapped Hill Farmstead Arthur last night. Other than random D.C./Philly bars and Armsby Abbey in Worcester, MA I haven't found Hill anywhere else besides VT.
Oh! Sweet Nuthin'

Postby jalapeño ranch » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:52 am

Really? Which bar? The only place I’ve seen Hill Farmstead at is Mikkeller.
jalapeño ranch

Postby Oh! Sweet Nuthin' » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:04 am

jalapeño ranch wrote:Really? Which bar? The only place I’ve seen Hill Farmstead at is Mikkeller.

House of Billiards. I follow some LA beer bro on Instagram and that's the only reason I knew it existed.
Oh! Sweet Nuthin'

Postby Viola Swamp » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:56 pm

keep me posted on HPB meetup for sure
Viola Swamp

Postby deadwolfbones » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:55 am

Did an Oktoberfest blind tasting last night. With three people tasting, the aggregate rankings were:

1st (tie): Paulaner & SN/Weihenstephan (16pts)
3rd: Ayinger (11pts)
4th: Hacker-Pschorr (8pts)
5th: Hofbrau (7pts)
6th: Spaten (5pts)

Paulaner had two #1 rankings and one #3. SN/Weihenstephan had two #2 rankings and one #1.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby noiseandpop » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:20 pm

always enjoy coming across modern times fruitlands over here
~~cry urself 2 ash~~
noiseandpop
piss reeking meth goblin

Postby gazedo » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:59 am

Board meetup at Hermosillo Octoberfest? the event doesn't require tickets, but you can buy a ceramic stein, two stein fills, and a sausage for $30. It is sunday october 7th. we could plan to meet late afternoon or something? Does that interest people? Work for people's schedule? Viola, BvW, Oh! Sweet, Jalepeno, Deadwolf, Tony, any other LA area boarders that I am forgetting? If it seems to work, I can cross post in the LA thread too.

edit: the 7th.
gazedo

Postby jalapeño ranch » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:16 pm

I actually already bought my ticket, so I'll be there. Might be bringing a friend.
jalapeño ranch

Postby deadwolfbones » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:30 pm

I miiiight be out in Ventura (with Bricker) that day, but not sure yet. It's more likely to be the 6th, so if that's the case and I'm not too hungover I'll prob be there.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby gazedo » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:00 pm

jalapeño ranch wrote:I actually already bought my ticket, so I'll be there. Might be bringing a friend.

Yeah, I am very excited about my stein.
gazedo

Postby Oh! Sweet Nuthin' » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:44 pm

yeah this looks great. it appears the steins are sold out but I guess there's more tickets at the door the day of. I should be able to go.
Oh! Sweet Nuthin'

Postby gazedo » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:51 pm

Oh! Sweet Nuthin' wrote:yeah this looks great. it appears the steins are sold out but I guess there's more tickets at the door the day of. I should be able to go.

you also don't need a ticket to go to the herm that day.
gazedo

Postby Oh! Sweet Nuthin' » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:55 pm

gazedo wrote:
Oh! Sweet Nuthin' wrote:yeah this looks great. it appears the steins are sold out but I guess there's more tickets at the door the day of. I should be able to go.

you also don't need a ticket to go to the herm that day.

good 2 know, I'll "prost" to that

Oh! Sweet Nuthin'

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....