Travel Thread: What should I do in Atlanta?

Ive found in time the search on this forum was shit but if you google whatever keywords with the word hipinion, you get what you're looking for most of the time. I mean even when they keywords aren't exact.

Postby Automatic » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:29 pm

So I'll be in ATL for 5 days and 4 nights in a few weeks. I've planned to eat at a bunch of restaurants but don't have any other plans, besides driving to Augusta for one day to watch a practice round at The Masters.

In between stuffing my face and watching golf, what should I do?

I've never shot a gun, so I might drive out to the Tom Lowe Shooting Grounds to shoot some skeets. Is the Martin Luther King Junior National Historic Site worth seeing? What about Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park? CNN? Coke? Buford Highway ethnic food?

Help me out here or else I'll spend all my time eating and drinking.

For those up on the Atlanta food scene, I'm planning on visiting the following places:
- The Spence
- Porter Beer Bar
- Octopus Bar
- On Eared Stag
- Miller Union
- Clermont Lounge
- Holeman & Finch Public House
- Empire State South
- Vortex Bar
- Fox Bros BBQ
- Bocado
Automatic

Postby Dr. Norm Thagard » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:50 pm

Go to Wrecking Bar over the Vortex. The Porter is great. Go to Octane and Little Tart for breakfast one day. Ria's bluebird for breakfast/lunch. Stone Mountain over Kennesaw Mountain. Coke's fun. Don't go to Clermont Lounge. I live by the zoo and know how to see the giraffes for free.
delgriffith wrote:Yeah Norm.

OKterrific wrote:Norm yay

Cronos wrote:The world needs more Norm

Feech La Manna wrote:well here's Norm at least

night moves wrote: People like you make up false boogeyman to blame for their emotions being out of control
Dr. Norm Thagard
Every superhero need her theme music

Postby Automatic » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:55 pm

Dr. Norm Thagard wrote:Go to Wrecking Bar over the Vortex. The Porter is great. Go to Octane and Little Tart for breakfast one day. Ria's bluebird for breakfast/lunch. Stone Mountain over Kennesaw Mountain. Coke's fun. Don't go to Clermont Lounge. I live by the zoo and know how to see the giraffes for free.

I was thinking of hitting Wrecking Bar after Porter, and before Octopus on my first night in town.

Octane was on my list for coffee each morning.

What's there to do at Stone Mountain?

What's wrong with Clermont Lounge?

Can I see the giraffes for free?
Automatic

Postby Dr. Norm Thagard » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:59 pm

Yes. I can teach you the giraffe trick. When are you going to be in town?

Go to Octane in Grant Park for the lil tart bake shop.

The clermont lounge is a place where kids go to be edgy. I've never been but it just has a really shitty let's make fun of old strippers vibe.

night moves wrote: People like you make up false boogeyman to blame for their emotions being out of control
Dr. Norm Thagard

Postby Dr. Norm Thagard » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:01 pm

There's also the cyclorama. I've still never been.

Dr. Norm Thagard

Postby Automatic » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:06 pm

I'm flying in on April 4th and out on the 8th.

My hotel is in midtown. Is the lil tart bake shop essential?

Anthony Bourdain made the Clermont seem like an Atlanta institution. I didn't know the strippers were old; I figured it was just a hipster strip club that served cheap PBR. If I take that off the list, I'll need something to do on Saturday night at, like, 11PM.

Edit: Cyclorama seems neat. I literally know nothing about the American Cival War, so a little education would be ok.
Automatic

Postby Dr. Norm Thagard » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:11 pm

I'll be in town the 4th and 5th (i think) and then i'm going out of town for a week. Pm me if you want to meet up. I dont go out late bc i am old and cranky.

Dr. Norm Thagard

Postby wintergreen » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:50 am

norm, i'm giving you wintergreen's triennial time to make the donuts boarding award. congratulations.

in honor of your consistent and quality boarding, i will donate $25 to the organization of your choice, which can definitely be your classroom.

previous winners:

2011 - WAC
wintergreen

Postby wintergreen » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:51 am

also, have fun in atlanta, automatic. i did the cnn tour in 2005 and chuck roberts waved at me [my ex-girlfriend.]
wintergreen

Postby staple » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:58 am

are you trying to hit everything that bourdain did on that episode of the layover?
does not want to say hipinion in a court of law
staple

Postby manierisme » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:58 am

fox bros is solid but if yr willing to take a 20-25 minute drive out of the central city, go to heirloom market bbq

its the best / most unique bbq place in ATL imo and i always take friends visiting from out of town there (only if its not rainy or too cold though, you can currently only eat on the outdoor deck for some reason)
manierisme

Postby grammatron » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:02 am

Automatic wrote:the strippers were old; I figured it was just a hipster strip club that served cheap PBR.

Both of these are true.
grammatron

Postby shark week » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:52 am

You should walk around Oakland Cemetery and then go to Daddy D'z bbq afterwards. They're right next to each other.

I thought Daddy D'z was better than Fox Bros.
It's dark and you want to go home?
shark week

Postby lazer81 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:53 am

Definitely go to the Porter...their vintage-beer list gets me moist every time I go there...they also have a really good single-malt selection.
Heirloom Market BBQ, or Fox Bros...I'd go with Heirloom.
Don't listen to the idiots telling you not to go to the Clermont...by all means go to the Clermont.
Food Truck Park off of Howell Mill
The Book House
Sister Louisa's Church of Living Room & Ping-Pong Emporium
Joystick Gamebar
Argosy
Not knowing where you're going is the best way to get to someplace you've never been
lazer81

Postby Dr. Norm Thagard » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:27 pm

wintergreen wrote:norm, i'm giving you wintergreen's triennial time to make the donuts boarding award. congratulations.

in honor of your consistent and quality boarding, i will donate $25 to the organization of your choice, which can definitely be your classroom.

previous winners:

2011 - WAC

Cool, what?

Dr. Norm Thagard

Postby Dr. Norm Thagard » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:29 pm

Lazer, i am deepy hurt by your calling me an idiot. Just wanted you to know that.

Dr. Norm Thagard

Postby mystery meat » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:57 pm

highly recommend a Buford Highway restaurant crawl.
mystery meat

Postby Automatic » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:25 pm

staple wrote:are you trying to hit everything that bourdain did on that episode of the layover?

It was a good place to start, I guess. The restaurant suggestions were gleaned from Eater and various yuppie-Atlantean type magazines though. I suppose Bourdain's staff looked the same places I did.

Mystery meat, which spots along Buford are good? Any good Xi'an or Mexican spots?

Thanks all for the help. Heirloom BBQ looks great, but they're closed Sunday and Monday.

Dr. Norm I'll send you a PM with my details.
Automatic

Postby mystery meat » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:11 pm

you could pick any Chinese, Korean, or Vietnamese place on Buford at random and come up with something really delicious. this page probably has you covered. i've had great experiences with dim sum and the Korean spots lately. i'd say just take your pick.
mystery meat

Postby wintergreen » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:05 pm

Dr. Norm Thagard wrote:
wintergreen wrote:norm, i'm giving you wintergreen's triennial time to make the donuts boarding award. congratulations.

previous winners:

2011 - WAC

Cool, what?

just tell me an organization and/or a paypal address.
wintergreen

Postby VHGisdead » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:17 pm

based on what's available to you where you live I'd imagine you should prioritize Mexican over Chinese, Korean, or Vietnamese
Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.
VHGisdead

Postby ingmar b » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:40 pm

it's Armenian
www.mikelippner.com
ingmar b

Postby lazer81 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:14 am

Dr. Norm Thagard wrote:Lazer, i am deepy hurt by your calling me an idiot. Just wanted you to know that.

The best way to avoid it is by not giving someone a dimwitted reason for not going somewhere based solely on conjecture.
Not knowing where you're going is the best way to get to someplace you've never been
lazer81

Postby compatibility mode » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:07 pm

the alcohol laws on sundays in the city are really restrictive iirc, so stock up if you are trying to crunk after hours on the lord's day.

after failing to buy booze at a 7-11, i befriended a homeless guy who introduced himself by holding his shirt up and saying "i dont have a pistol". i asked about buying beer and after a guy at a gas station said,"sorry boys, the budlight train has already left," he brought me to a chicken and waffles sit-down restaurant that seemed to be in the back of a convenience store. we sat there and drank a few dueces each before the waitress said,"honey, that man is homeless, you gotta get him out of here." which was fine because my friend had started talking in circles. we parted ways on the same overpass we had met after i gave him a few bucks he said he needed to get into the shelter, i figured it was an equal trade for his valuable intel.

ive only been to atlanta a couple times but i like the dynamic overall.
compatibility mode

Postby WAC » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:51 am

Just bumping this so it'll show up in my View My Posts. If anyone has any more suggestions for stuff to do between today and Saturday, I'm all ears
He said ALOT of shit last night. And most of it WASN'T how he supported a fascist.
WAC

Postby grammatron » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:54 am

I'm just gonna throw out three words and see what you think:

GOLF CART RIDES!
grammatron

Postby Dr. Norm Thagard » Sat May 02, 2015 8:55 pm

wintergreen wrote:
Dr. Norm Thagard wrote:

previous winners:

2011 - WAC

Cool, what?

just tell me an organization and/or a paypal address.

Was this fo real?

Dr. Norm Thagard

Postby charlottepipe » Sat May 02, 2015 11:22 pm

no more sunday restrictions on alcohol sales no worries. also what is the giraffe trick please I have to know now
charlottepipe

Postby Dr. Norm Thagard » Sat May 02, 2015 11:28 pm

There s s hole for n the fence I can show you u kuve by the zoo

Dr. Norm Thagard

Postby wintergreen » Sat May 02, 2015 11:30 pm

of course, norm. tell me an organization or a paypal address.
wintergreen

Next

Return to Free-For-All