The Official New York City Thread

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby lockheed » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:40 pm

i tried to find a back entrance to the ifc center a few months ago but either they don't have one or you have to get buzzed in if you're a courier or something.
Nice day if it doesn't rain.
lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby loaf angel » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:42 pm

film noir on meserole in Greenpoint has the best programming but it's like 11 or 12 to see a movie in a small space

https://www.filmnoircinema.com/
goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron
loaf angel

Postby lockheed » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:44 pm

i haven't been there yet, but that dude seems to rule and shows a lot of cool shit.
lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby lockheed » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:44 pm

i think it's only 10 though iirc
lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby The Emperor's Son » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:45 pm

spectacle in williamsburg is a nice little cubby alter zone
The Emperor's Son

Postby pokethedoke » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:46 pm

Is Lockheed Jonathan Ames?
pokethedoke

Postby loaf angel » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:48 pm

lockheed wrote:i think it's only 10 though iirc

oh yup

and spectacle is awesome if you wanna see some real weird shit

videology is decent also
goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron
loaf angel

Postby hoopdog » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:25 pm

i always mean to hit up spectacle but keep forgetting

i live near film noir now and def need to check that place out
hoopdog
ride.

Postby pink snake » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:21 pm

going out to dinner with my aunt and uncle tonight. where should I suggest we go? Upper West Side, has waiters (not counter service) and has beer/wine/booze. I'm never around there and have no idea.
pink snake

Postby milknight » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:23 pm

white gold is the best restaurant on the uws imo but its kind of expensive. theres a han dynasty up there too
milknight

Postby The Emperor's Son » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:27 pm

spectacle is best when you're sober and unemployed during a misty wednesday 1am in an oversized hoody in the backrow with two other people in the theatre watching a 90 minute, 4 shot film of a family making dumplings
The Emperor's Son

Postby pink snake » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:30 pm

no reservation available at white gold. dang.
pink snake

Postby milknight » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:33 pm

Kefi is pretty good too but the service is always really slow for some reason
milknight

Postby famnexdo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:37 pm

Every time my family visits I try and bring them (outside of Flushing/the Chinatowns in Manhattan and Brooklyn) to places like White Gold or Katz's or something and it's a problem because my mom is a California healthnut now who only eats like 3 bowls of steamed greens and quinoa when she's home and all the places that are like .... go-to spots usually recommended in this thread consist of menus with very good, but also very rich and high fat content foods.

She and my dad are getting older and the next time they visit, I wanna be able to bring them to spots that won't stress them out health-wise but are still good as hell in the flavor/satisfaction department. I live in BK but they're gonna be staying at their bud's pied-a-terre in the Tudor City/UN area and I would love some of yall's reccs for NON "roll-out-the-door" type sit down spots, lunch or dinner, fancy/non fancy. :geek:

fwiw, all of us thought Souen was bland, over-priced garbage when I took them there for some "macrobiotics"
famnexdo

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:40 pm

what should i do tonight

solo, stoned, booze-free and looking to be entertained
the beginning of the beginning of the end of the beginning
Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby lockheed » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:58 pm

i dunno but man the weather sure is nice
lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby lockheed » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:58 pm

besides the slush
lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby larry the cable guy tooth fairy 28 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:07 pm

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:what should i do tonight

solo, stoned, booze-free and looking to be entertained

go somewhere in the outer boroughs you haven't been to ever/in a long time
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].
larry the cable guy tooth fairy 28
smiling drinker

Postby pokethedoke » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:44 pm

You should do a hipinion nacho tasting battle and fight for the hipinion top nacho chef knife.
pokethedoke

Postby pokethedoke » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:52 pm

fuckin thomas edison over here just spitting out ideas
pokethedoke

Postby pink snake » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:53 pm

what about ribbon or mermaid inn?
pink snake

Postby churrokbyme » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:59 pm

famnexdo wrote:Every time my family visits I try and bring them (outside of Flushing/the Chinatowns in Manhattan and Brooklyn) to places like White Gold or Katz's or something and it's a problem because my mom is a California healthnut now who only eats like 3 bowls of steamed greens and quinoa when she's home and all the places that are like .... go-to spots usually recommended in this thread consist of menus with very good, but also very rich and high fat content foods.

She and my dad are getting older and the next time they visit, I wanna be able to bring them to spots that won't stress them out health-wise but are still good as hell in the flavor/satisfaction department. I live in BK but they're gonna be staying at their bud's pied-a-terre in the Tudor City/UN area and I would love some of yall's reccs for NON "roll-out-the-door" type sit down spots, lunch or dinner, fancy/non fancy. :geek:

fwiw, all of us thought Souen was bland, over-priced garbage when I took them there for some "macrobiotics"

Edit: Dang, looks like semilla closed.
churrokbyme

Postby Clive » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:27 pm

I know this isn’t a real answer, but this might be helpful re: UWS stuff:

https://ny.eater.com/maps/best-restaura ... t-side-nyc
Clive

Postby lockheed » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:29 pm

famnexdo wrote:Every time my family visits I try and bring them (outside of Flushing/the Chinatowns in Manhattan and Brooklyn) to places like White Gold or Katz's or something and it's a problem because my mom is a California healthnut now who only eats like 3 bowls of steamed greens and quinoa when she's home and all the places that are like .... go-to spots usually recommended in this thread consist of menus with very good, but also very rich and high fat content foods.

everyone seems to dig atla, but i haven't been there yet.
lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby lockheed » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:31 pm

nix comes to mind as well (also never been there)
lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby pokethedoke » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:47 pm

Nix is ok and over-priced. abcv is worst though
pokethedoke

Postby pink snake » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:02 pm

made a reservation at kefi. thanks yall.
pink snake

Postby hoopdog » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:07 pm

i went to abcv on xmas actually and i really enjoyed it. we had 6 people at the table tho so we ordered a lot of items on the menu so got to get a sample of everything

atla is awesome especially if you dig mezcal. their menu is a pretty approachable take on ~elevated~ mexican food, very much cosme's little brother

haven't tried nix but john fraser's new spot the loyal is pretty legit and has a lot of good veggie options as well. it is kind of pricey for what you get, tho.

give dirt candy a go as well, of all the innovative veggie-centric places i've tried in the city so far this has been my favorite. service sucks but you aren't really there for that.
hoopdog
ride.

Postby pink snake » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:40 pm

now we're going to la caridad.
pink snake

Postby VHGisdead » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:48 pm

is Westville a lame suggestion? Could be a good lunch option if you're in one of their neighborhoods
Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.
VHGisdead

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All