Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby dogshower » Fri May 04, 2018 4:36 pm

my dude in philly said 'brooklyn kids making boring noises' opened so yeh i could be diiv idk
JUMP
dogshower

Postby landspeedrecord » Fri May 04, 2018 4:36 pm

dumb numbers weren't much better
rather be an idiot than a sheeple
landspeedrecord

Postby sympathy » Fri May 04, 2018 4:53 pm

Whoa maybe my band is playing
sympathy
ok

Postby landspeedrecord » Fri May 04, 2018 5:03 pm

lol
landspeedrecord

Postby lockheed » Fri May 04, 2018 5:35 pm

Last edited by lockheed on Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nice day if it doesn't rain.
lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby landspeedrecord » Fri May 04, 2018 6:03 pm

sure

friday 5/4

mdou moctar (zone one at elsewhere)
fronted by the star of the nollywood purple rain/the harder they come. essentially dou moctar play african folk music with electric guitars. they go on at 9pm sharp tonite

sat 5/5
tv party program (anthology film archives) 7pm
anthology is gonna screen clips from this public access variety show that ran in nyc from 1979-1982 and featured performances by alternative rock acts from that period

yonatan gat (le poisson rouge)
yonatan, the guitarist of monotonix, now fronts this free jazz rock trio

ssps/sibling (h0l0)
experimental

hank jackson (nowadays)

weird dance music

sun 5/6
white of the eye (metrograph) 215 + 9pm
Visionary Cammell returned to filmmaking after a ten-year hiatus like a bat out of hell with this suburban Arizona-set thriller, in which voices from the other side urge stereo technician and lothario David Keith to do awful, awful things. One half of the duo behind Performance, former painter Cammell’s gonzo directorial career deserves to be better known, and no film moreso than this intoxicating, kaleidoscopic serial killer picture, featuring Cathy Moriarty at peak performance.

tue 5/8
preserving genre film (film noir cinema)
interested in how people preserve film prints? some folks from vinegar syndrome are going to show a presentation and talk about it!

wed 5/9
power trip/sheer mag (elsewhere)
\m/

thu 5/10
andy (anthology film archives) 7 + 915pm
ANDY (Ricard Sarafian, 1965, 86 min, 35mm, b&w)
One of the more eye-opening and revelatory discoveries to emerge from the “Beyond Cassavetes” series so far, the 1965 micro-masterpiece ANDY, by Richard Sarafian (VANISHING POINT), created such significant buzz after our January 2015 screening that we’ve decided to revive it. A fragile, neorealist character study that borders at times on magical realism, the film stars Norman Alden as a mentally-challenged, middle-aged man running amok on an all-night bender. Shot in freezing, late-night exteriors on Manhattan’s West Side, Sarafian’s first feature is a testament both to his talent and his determination as a filmmaker. Stunningly photographed by Ernesto Caparrós and edited by Aram Avakian (both of whom had worked on Arthur Penn’s THE MIRACLE WORKER), ANDY has never been available on video, and hence is truly a hidden gem.

sat 5/12
container/earthen sea/relaxer (trans pecos)
electronic that runs the gamut from downtempo to ambient/drone to noise

dj python w/ beta librae/sold (nowadays)
reggaeton & techno
landspeedrecord

Postby landspeedrecord » Fri May 04, 2018 6:10 pm

plus liquid sky is still playing at the quad!!!
I caught it last night. cool movie
landspeedrecord

Postby lockheed » Fri May 04, 2018 6:24 pm

Last edited by lockheed on Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nice day if it doesn't rain.
lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby REAL BASED SLOB » Fri May 04, 2018 6:26 pm

I would be eternally grateful if anyone is going to electric wizard and has a joint or something to share with me. Craigslist dude quoted me 160 for an eighth lol
When John Walsh refers to criminals as cowards and creeps I just get more jacked
REAL BASED SLOB

Postby landspeedrecord » Fri May 04, 2018 6:37 pm

lockheed wrote:thanks dude, both of the afa things sound awesome. i'm almost definitely going to go to the not sold out power trip/sheer mag show and maybe container, but i will check out the rest of those reccs as well.

paul schrader is doing a q&a after a showing of light sleeper tonight at metrograph, which is pretty enticing since light sleeper is awesome and i actually really like paul schrader a lot, or at least his movies, but apparently he's not a well liked dude for legitimate reasons? or that he's old and cranky or something, not actually sure.

schrader is a total dick, but I like a lot of his films. I even enjoyed the canyons. I've never seen light sleeper! if I wasn't at work I would probably have checked that out

the quad is showing a bunch of stuff that influenced his latest starting this weekend including carlos reygadas' silent light, which I love
https://quadcinema.com/program/origin-stories-paul-schraders-footnotes-to-first-reformed/

the quad is also holding an alan rudolph retro which is p tight
https://quadcinema.com/program/alan-rudolphs-everyday-lovers/

the rep film scene is really firing on all cylinders rn
landspeedrecord

Postby landspeedrecord » Fri May 04, 2018 6:42 pm

also rooftop films & bamcinemafest lineups got announced bamcinemafest. tix go on sale on 5/10

https://www.bam.org/bamcinemafest

I'm excited to catch out joel potrykus' latest relaxer
Joel Potrykus (The Alchemist Cookbook, BAMcinemaFest 2016), Michigan’s greatest underground auteur, returns with another gonzo transmission from America’s heartland. Set on the eve of Y2K, Relaxer unfolds almost entirely in a squalid living room where Abbie (the Keatonesque Joshua Burge), commanded by his sadistic brother (David Dastmalchian), takes up a nigh-impossible challenge: beating the all-time Pac-Man high score without leaving the couch until he does. As Abbie’s quest devolves into a months-long absurdist nightmare, Potrykus guides this daringly demented black comedy into increasingly disturbing realms. The result is a grungy, noxiously funny vision of Gen X complacency hurtling towards oblivion.

plus debra granik's latest

I saw crime + punishment at sundance. great doc about the nypd's bullshit quota system. highly recommended!

some rooftop films highlights

Saturday, June 2, 2018
Damsel (David Zellner, Nathan Zellner)
In Green-Wood Cemetery. 500 25th Street. Brooklyn.
An affectionate reinvention of the western genre that showcases the Zellners’ trademark unpredictability, off-kilter sense of humor and unique brand of humanism, Damsel follows an affluent pioneer Samuel Alabaster (Pattinson) as he ventures across the American Frontier to find and marry the love of his life, Penelope (Wasikowska). As Samuel traverses the Wild West with a drunkard named Parson Henry (David Zellner) and a miniature horse called Butterscotch, their once-simple journey grows treacherous, increasingly blurring the lines between hero, villain and damsel. A Magnolia Pictures release.
*NY Premiere

Date TBD
A Prayer Before Dawn (Jean-Stéphane Sauvaire)
The remarkable true story of Billy Moore, a young English boxer incarcerated in two of Thailand’s most notorious prisons. He is quickly thrown into a terrifying world of drugs and gang violence, but when the prison authorities allow him to take part in the Muay Thai boxing tournaments, he realizes that this might be his chance to get out. Billy embarks on a relentless, action-packed journey from one savage fight to the next, stopping at nothing to do whatever he must to preserve his life and regain his freedom. Shot in an actual Thai prison with a cast of primarily real inmates, A Prayer Before Dawn is a visceral, thrilling journey through an unforgettable hell on earth. An A24 release.

An Evening with Beverly Luff Linn (Jim Hosking)
Lulu Danger’s unsatisfying marriage takes a fortunate turn for the worse when a mysterious man from her past comes to town to perform an event called “An Evening With Beverly Luff Linn for One Magical Night Only.” A Universal Content Group release.

Bisbee ’17 (Robert Greene)
Bisbee ’17 will follow characters in Bisbee, Arizona as they struggle to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the controversial Bisbee Deportation, where 1200 striking miners were violently exiled from town. The film will combine observational documentary with uncanny reenactments, leading up to a centennial dramatization of Bisbee’s “darkest day.”
*Co-presented with BAMcinemaFest
*Recipient of the 2016 Rooftop Films and Garbo NYC Feature Films Grant

Dead Pigs (Cathy Yan)
The lives of a bumbling pig farmer, a feisty salon owner, a sensitive busboy, an ambitious expat-architect and a disenchanted rich girl converge and collide as thousands of dead pigs float down the river toward a rapidly modernizing Shanghai, China. Based on true events.
*NY Premiere

Never Goin’ Back (Augustine Frizzell)
A fresh and funny look at female friendship, following lifelong best friends Angela and Jessie, who dream of escaping their waitressing jobs at a low-rent Texas diner. Taking place over the course of just a few days, the film follows their hilarious and unpredictable misadventures on the streets of suburban Dallas, as they attempt increasingly madcap and wild schemes to try and raise some cash. An A24 release.
*NY Premiere

Our New President (Maxim Pozdorovkin)
The story of Donald Trump’s election told entirely through Russian propaganda. By turns horrifying and hilarious, the film is a satirical portrait of Russian meddling in the 2016 election that reveals an empire of fake news and the tactics of modern day information warfare. , In the small, central Polish town of Aleksandrów Kujawski, the director of the local culture centre announces a competition. The theme… a creative presentation of your personal patriotic attitude. Entrants are free to demonstrate their creativity in whatever form they like; in song, recitation or gesture, by giving a speech or staging their piece. Anything goes. There’s just one requirement; entrants may only present their own, original work. The eleventh day of the eleventh month arrives… Poland’s Independence Day. And on this very day, the jury, consisting of the director, the mayor, a priest and a local poetess, will select the region’s number one patriot.
landspeedrecord

Postby Future » Fri May 04, 2018 7:48 pm

i checked out Trouble In Mind the other night after seeing that Alan Rudolph thing posted in the nyc events thread. wasn't familiar with his work despite being a big Demme and Altman fan, might go again next week.
Members of my pack, we spend a lot of time together at home just being dogs.
Future

Postby Clive » Fri May 04, 2018 8:52 pm

Line to get in goes all the way down to 9th ave + my friend told me the opener ended their set 15 min ago, wtf...
Clive

Postby gentleman » Fri May 04, 2018 8:52 pm

Any of you at union pool? I feel old.
gentleman

Postby loaf angel » Fri May 04, 2018 9:19 pm

Honey playing tonight?
goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron
loaf angel

Postby gentleman » Fri May 04, 2018 11:42 pm

loaf angel wrote:Honey playing tonight?

yep. i was there for flat worms...not bad actually.
gentleman

Postby i am rich » Sat May 05, 2018 6:52 am

REAL BASED SLOB wrote:I would be eternally grateful if anyone is going to electric wizard and has a joint or something to share with me. Craigslist dude quoted me 160 for an eighth lol

just saw this now but if you were in the pit im sure you were in luck
i am rich

Postby delgriffith » Sat May 05, 2018 11:19 am

Really horrifying, infuriating story:

https://www.propublica.org/article/treated-like-trash
delgriffith

Postby dogshower » Sat May 05, 2018 11:53 am

was king krule hipster nu metal this whole time or was that a surprise to anyone else at the show
JUMP
dogshower

Postby lightfoot » Sat May 05, 2018 11:53 am

i thought king krule was amazing last night

standing on the corner were real good too
lightfoot

Postby dogshower » Sat May 05, 2018 11:53 am

did anyone get a jaggerbomb from the shot girls?
JUMP
dogshower

Postby dogshower » Sat May 05, 2018 11:55 am

lightfoot wrote:i thought king krule was amazing last night

standing on the corner were real good too

holy fuck that was standing on the corner?? :shock: they were awfulToggle Spoiler
JUMP
dogshower

Postby loaf angel » Sat May 05, 2018 11:58 am

sounds like dogshower had a real bad time
loaf angel

Postby fuckles » Sat May 05, 2018 11:59 am

is it dog shower or dog shower
Cyril Sneer wrote:INSANE post. I could literally read it for hours.
fuckles

Postby dogshower » Sat May 05, 2018 12:04 pm

jaggerbombs helped me ignore the guy playing with a dry delay pedal for 100 minutes and also the nu metal bassist and drummer
JUMP
dogshower

Postby loaf angel » Sat May 05, 2018 12:06 pm

jagerbombs pair well with nu metal
loaf angel

Postby The Emperor's Son » Sat May 05, 2018 12:17 pm

team king krule was great
The Emperor's Son

Postby Mr Spaceship » Sat May 05, 2018 12:21 pm

gentleman wrote:Any of you at union pool? I feel old.

:?
Mr Spaceship

Postby Mr Spaceship » Sat May 05, 2018 12:21 pm

I love that King Krule album
Mr Spaceship

Postby loaf angel » Sat May 05, 2018 12:22 pm

Mr Spaceship wrote:
gentleman wrote:Any of you at union pool? I feel old.

:?

what's this? do we need to relitigate how union pool consistently puts on good shows
loaf angel

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....