All Things Nintendo - It's 4/20, Grab Your Toy-Cons ($69)

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby buriedinspace » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:42 pm

lil bro wrote:
buriedinspace wrote:I have still literally never played anything but the handheld version of the console - I tried the first day I had it, didn't figure it out, and then never tried again

you just place it in the dock, or am i misunderstanding

It's very possible I was just dumb! But I've consistently forgot it was even a thing and liked playing it as a handheld, so I never tried again.
I try to avoid enjoyable romps whenever I can. -Armond White
buriedinspace

Postby shankly » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:45 pm

camping wrote:
Hugh wrote:Should I rock a screen protector?

yes

this one is really good

https://www.amazon.com/amFilm-Tempered- ... +protector

i've had this sitting in its box for weeks now because i was really high when i opened it & the process for putting it on seemed like something i'd mess up. i'm sure it's very easy but there are so many little stickers
shankly

Postby lil bro » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:48 pm

buriedinspace wrote:
lil bro wrote:
buriedinspace wrote:I have still literally never played anything but the handheld version of the console - I tried the first day I had it, didn't figure it out, and then never tried again

you just place it in the dock, or am i misunderstanding

It's very possible I was just dumb! But I've consistently forgot it was even a thing and liked playing it as a handheld, so I never tried again.

yeah i've found myself constantly rocking handheld except for when friends wanna play mk8/arms etc
frig
lil bro

Postby whatabout tim » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:48 pm

Pretty cool golf tribute on the switch (assuming this is correct)

https://kotaku.com/hackers-say-nintendo ... 1818587767
tim
whatabout tim

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:57 pm

handhled is cool but i have a projector and playing botw on that is *chef kissing fingers*
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Zardoz » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:58 pm

camping wrote:
Hugh wrote:Should I rock a screen protector?

yes

this one is really good

https://www.amazon.com/amFilm-Tempered- ... +protector

got that one too works great
Zardoz

Postby emotional fascism » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:04 pm

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:handhled is cool but i have a projector and playing botw on that is *chef kissing fingers*

ha samesies
emotional fascism

Postby whatabout tim » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:05 pm

I also have that screen protector and never put it on. I have one of those sock things on my dock though :ahuh:
tim
whatabout tim

Postby bluemovers » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:46 pm

cruising' through metroid now. the more powerups you find, the less of an issue the melee counter is to the pace of the game, i think. i'm enjoying it, for sure, but i'd still say it's missing something. easily an 8/10, though.

i beat M+R last week and i thoroughly enjoyed that game. it didn't overstay it's welcome, but i would've liked to see them change things up a bit more in the final world. by that time my teams were so powered up that i just steamrolled through. the 'slide boxes' puzzles were getting a bit tiring, too.

gonna download steamworld dig 2 tomorrow, though i never played the first one. i tend to dislike procedurally-generated worlds, so the sequel sounds more my speed anyway.

that Golf/Iwata tribute is really great.
bluemovers

Postby chairkicker » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:04 pm

Eugenics wrote:
chairkicker wrote:i'd seen all the footage from e3, the treehouse demos and the trailers, and it already looked insane. and then this direct hits and they just one up that shit

link? i can't get enough of this damn game!

chairkicker

Postby trouble » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:12 pm

i dunno, the trailers are all awesome for that game but the gameplay videos make the worlds look kind of lifeless and empty to me. Like I know people like the Galaxy Series a lot less than I do but there was something about those linear course driven levels (especially in SMG2) that really kept you moving that I really loved. The more open approach just feels like something that will feel aimless at a point unless the exploration is really exceptional (which it might be, don't get me wrong).
My avatar is hosted by David-Tennant-News.com

It is with great sadness that I am announcing the closure of David-Tennant-News.com by the DT Forum. I have run the site since 2011 when we published our first new post about David Tennant reading Shakespeare’s 12 Sonnet. And in the seven years since it was founded, there have been over 9000 news articles, 700 background pages and 8000 photos about David Tennant’s work.
trouble
ride.

Postby bluemovers » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:20 pm

trouble i was sort of feeling that same way, but this review today made me feel much better. particularly:

These places are absolutely packed and, where Breath of the Wild’s open world was an exploration of sprawling expanses, Mario Odyssey's worlds are more like jam-packed toyboxes.

also peep these sick moves:

bluemovers

Postby Eugenics » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:25 pm

chairkicker wrote:
Eugenics wrote:
chairkicker wrote:i'd seen all the footage from e3, the treehouse demos and the trailers, and it already looked insane. and then this direct hits and they just one up that shit

link? i can't get enough of this damn game!

oh yeah, i saw that. then i bought the bundle. lol
Eugenics

Postby tgk » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:26 pm

honestly it looks like a re-imagining of mario sunshine (which i loved and thought was unfairly maligned) with the FLUDD gimmick being replaced by the hat.
tgk

Postby Eugenics » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:26 pm

i was definitely hating (no pun intended!) on the hat trickery early on, but it looks really well done and compelling after watching so much of the released footage
Eugenics

Postby Eugenics » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:28 pm

bitch are u a weird ass lookin mario game cuz yr the only oddeyessee
Eugenics

Postby gambra » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:24 pm

Just over a week til SNES Classic hits. Who else has a preorder? Not sure if I'll end up keeping mine right off.
THIS IMPACT WILL CONTROL ALL MARGINS

Scrumptious Justice 8-) wrote:man don't be mean to gambra
gambra

Postby bluemovers » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:40 pm

so there's been a lot of speculation that the mushroom kingdom would be one of the unannounced, playable worlds. given that we know these paintings will act as portals between worlds, it appears that this video confirms it. :ryan: :ryan:

Toggle Spoiler
bluemovers

Postby camping » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:44 pm

gambra wrote:Just over a week til SNES Classic hits. Who else has a preorder? Not sure if I'll end up keeping mine right off.

I have a pre order but it isn't scheduled to be delivered until 10/5
Johan POOPLER wrote:girls see your dick and it reminds them of their saddest birthday
camping
i wish i cared

Postby pzadvance » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:32 pm

trouble wrote:i dunno, the trailers are all awesome for that game but the gameplay videos make the worlds look kind of lifeless and empty to me. Like I know people like the Galaxy Series a lot less than I do but there was something about those linear course driven levels (especially in SMG2) that really kept you moving that I really loved. The more open approach just feels like something that will feel aimless at a point unless the exploration is really exceptional (which it might be, don't get me wrong).

been secretly worried about this too. i've gotten the impression from some of the footage that they designed these large, open spaces at the expense of filling them out with much detail. The red desert place certainly looks "huge" but if you're just running through miles of empty space, that might feel less like an exploration and more like a chore? i donno, i obviously havent played any of it but it's just been a simmering fear of mine based on some of the footage. i love the idea of a more open Mario game and i'm sure it's being implemented in the right way. a couple places just look sorta under-designed, even some rooms are weirdly lacking in textures it seemed.

still stoked out of my mind for almost every other aspect of this, but yeah
pzadvance

Postby brent » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:37 pm

camping wrote:
gambra wrote:Just over a week til SNES Classic hits. Who else has a preorder? Not sure if I'll end up keeping mine right off.

I have a pre order but it isn't scheduled to be delivered until 10/5

i never got a pre-order but have that day off and am going to try strolling into target and hope i get one. worked for me with the switch :barney:
brent

Postby hatertime » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:03 pm

I mostly play my switch on my commute so I'm using handheld mode 80% of the time, tv mode feels like a special occasional upgrade. Still working through M+R but I'm about to wrap it up so I'm looking for something to tide me over until mario. With every bit of new information I get more and more excited. The way this year has been going for Nintendo I have no reason to doubt it will be amazing.
hatertime

Postby chairkicker » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:50 pm

look at that goddamned beach

there's something about a beach level in 3d mario that does it for me like nothing else
chairkicker

Postby internethandle » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:19 pm

yeah that direct on that last page i casually clicked the other night in my youtube recommends and i was floored all over again. endo's totally right, each new piece of footage just ups the ante.
internethandle
ok

Postby Zardoz » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:14 am

pzadvance wrote:
trouble wrote:i dunno, the trailers are all awesome for that game but the gameplay videos make the worlds look kind of lifeless and empty to me. Like I know people like the Galaxy Series a lot less than I do but there was something about those linear course driven levels (especially in SMG2) that really kept you moving that I really loved. The more open approach just feels like something that will feel aimless at a point unless the exploration is really exceptional (which it might be, don't get me wrong).

been secretly worried about this too. i've gotten the impression from some of the footage that they designed these large, open spaces at the expense of filling them out with much detail. The red desert place certainly looks "huge" but if you're just running through miles of empty space, that might feel less like an exploration and more like a chore? i donno, i obviously havent played any of it but it's just been a simmering fear of mine based on some of the footage. i love the idea of a more open Mario game and i'm sure it's being implemented in the right way. a couple places just look sorta under-designed, even some rooms are weirdly lacking in textures it seemed.

still stoked out of my mind for almost every other aspect of this, but yeah

all the preview vids I have seen the last couple days mention and show the game being packed with a ludicrous amount of content and the worlds seem more alive than any previous Mario title. I think this is a solid vid.
Zardoz

Postby Zardoz » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:15 am

It's blowing my dang mind
Zardoz

Postby Cone » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:35 am

I am so excited for this game
Cone

Postby sleepy_boy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:44 am

There's a blog post where they describe the design philosophy behind Odyssey being to create intricate miniature gardens not giant open worlds. So hopefully the worlds will be dense with things to do. https://nintendotreehouse.tumblr.com/po ... s-in-a-box
sleepy_boy

Postby tgk » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:08 am

it's definitely looking like a sunshine/3d world hybrid
tgk

Postby No Good Advice » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:18 am

No Good Advice

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All