Bojack Horseman

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby Hal Jordan » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:40 pm

Captures depression and conflict better than any show i can think of
A lamp with a white shade was knocked over and broken. Someone was smoking pot. “This is the pot room!” a young man said.
Hal Jordan

Postby grass tacks » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:03 pm

This was the first season where it felt like they were just moving pieces around, didn't have a new angle to examine the characters through. But they made up for that with the best writing yet, they keep getting better it is so confusing did they somehow find some of the most talented people alive for a netflix cartoon or is it because they give people the freedom and trust to write really personal stuff? Really really good season
grass tacks

Postby zach york » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:17 pm

barf me a river fartbags

zach york

Postby unscrambled » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:59 pm

yeah i think that's what it was, grass tacks. it felt more like a really excellent show than a very cerebral intense character study. like last two seasons were a little too maudlin/dark for me. especially where my mind is at these days, i really enjoyed the writing just being fucking fire. some throwaway jokes contain a world onto its own. and certain episode's story mechanic gimmicks, for lack of a better word, were so expertly beautifully amazingly done. fucking loved slowly realizing that that the eulogy episode was just going to be a straight up 20 minute monologue. and the 4 consecutive halloween stories, the super cute therapist episode, etc. were done so welllllllToggle Spoiler. true tour de force in tv show writing.

also the Princess Caroline southern accent reminded me so much of Jerri Blank, I couldn't contain myself.

i feel like everyone's storylines worked really excellent — except I did not care too much for the Henry Fondle thing toward the end. seemed like it kind of trivialized the truly remarkable and groundbreaking work they were doing with Bojack's probelmaticness and takedown culture coming at odds with ideas of redemption. but maybe it was kind of trying to be a caricature of how these skeezy harassers are? But then when you get to the point of all those women losing their jobs because the robot was fried, it felt like a little too family guy/south parkish.Toggle Spoiler

but the whole thing about drawing back to the New Mexico incident was so amazing. makes me want to revisit the whole show over again. if my heart can take it.Toggle Spoiler
Last edited by unscrambled on Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unscrambled

Postby unscrambled » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:09 pm

grass tacks wrote:This was the first season where it felt like they were just moving pieces around, didn't have a new angle to examine the characters through.

almost feel like that fits perfectly into the themes of the season of BoJack, and all the others to a degree (Mr PB dating the same young/fun women, Caroline falling into the same personal/work traps, etc.) just trying to solve problems the same way they've been trying this whole time, as Diane says right before BoJack goes to rehab, and selling the point as to why this would be the time BoJack finally seeks treatment, even if this isn't his lowest low and he had probably his easiest out given that Gina was not going to press charges, the show is doing great, etc.Toggle Spoiler

unscrambled

Postby Esteban » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:41 am

4 eps in season seems good so far

Esteban

Postby kirito » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:58 am

that board of family photos at the adoption agency :)
They say more money more problems. Bring on the problems. Bring on the problems. Bring on the muhfuckin problems.

kirito

Postby buriedinspace » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:42 pm

Loved it but hope we're not onto a 'rehab is magic, AA is tough and hard but works if you work it' storyline in S6.Toggle Spoiler
ratbags wrote:you're like a wistful naive idiot version of bill simmons

(they/them, fwiw)

buriedinspace

Postby pissydan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:27 pm

tying PB's realization to the dazed & confused quotes was fucking brilliantToggle Spoiler
As life would have it, Johnny did somebody wrong and they filed a complaint.

pissydan
|ᵆ|>

Postby super gas » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:53 pm

i kept expecting princess caroline's mom to start talking about 6-8 black men.

super gas

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:02 pm

it was probably the most consistent season yet. so many great episode concepts and little moments and scenes that were done just right. i keep thinking about bojack dragging hollyhock along on a drug buy and how they saved her this whole season for that one ep to show the true depths of his addiction. especially after the feel-good last scene of season 4. so well doneToggle Spoiler

it probably didn't reach the emotional highs of previous seasons but to have this quality of show 5 seasons in without settling for easier story beats is pretty amazing. special show

Pops Freshenmeyer

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:06 pm

my only pretty trivial complaint is i wish they could've figured out a way to bring back the new mexico storyline without the ol' secret tape recording! tropeToggle Spoiler

Pops Freshenmeyer

Postby Alexis » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:05 am

yeah that funeral ep was great i kept thinking they were gonna go to the next scene but it just kept getting betterToggle Spoiler

Alexis

Postby bugsbunnyseance » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:00 am

I kept forgetting Diane still works for Girl Croosh.

bugsbunnyseance

Postby blurst of times » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:46 pm

season 5 was fantastic. (maybe the best one so far!) i liked the episode about diane going to vietnam and her conflicted feelings about it and appreciated the meta-commentary near the end about whether bojack/philbert was validating shitty behavior. i kind of agree that there weren't many new angles revealed about the characters this time, but everything else was done so well that i didn't mind.

it's a dang miracle that this show exists and is as good as it is

blurst of times
ride.

Postby vhg » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:12 am

congrats to a former boarder for being retweeted by Paul F Tompkins
Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.
vhg

Postby mcwop23 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:04 pm

oh man the funeral dialogue

did you say a duel?
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die

mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby Annie May » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:18 pm

i joined a bojack fan group on facebook out of curiosity and while the community seems pretty good for the most part there's still a significant 'skylar effect' wrt diane, which kind of blows my mind because of how much this season demonstrated bojack's awfulness. like there are a significant amount of people really angry at diane for putting lines from the tape into the script.Toggle Spoiler the whole time i was watching this i kept thinking 'how are the shitty dudes that watch this show going to react to this?' and well...
Life's a journey :)

Annie May

Postby speakers » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:09 pm

speakers

Postby worrywort » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:58 pm

that's very good

worrywort

Postby mego » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:40 pm

loved this season. i think season 3 is my favourite but 5 is 2nd

mego

Postby jefe górgory » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:43 pm

mcwop23 wrote:oh man the funeral dialogue

did you say a duel?

This felt like a reference to the savage detectives but maybe it was just a sort of classic hyper-masculine writer type defending his honor trope (is that a thing?)
in the process of making 100k off serie a fan tokens by socios

jefe górgory

Postby jefe górgory » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:44 pm

Just finished this and loved it. This show is special, sometimes in ways idek how to explain. It deserves all the credit it gets and more

jefe górgory

Postby Beautiful Jugdish » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:49 pm

misleading URL if you read it as a statement
If you have information that conclusively proves beyond a doubt that Nathan killed Jeffrey Epstein, please DM me.

Beautiful Jugdish

Postby hoopdog » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:17 pm

Celiac Cruz wrote:Just finished this and loved it. This show is special, sometimes in ways idek how to explain. It deserves all the credit it gets and more

This show is the only media I can think of that is really unvarnished in how shitty people can be and how hard it is to resolve issues that result from that

Bojack and Diane's conversation about how there are no good and bad people has stuck with me a lot

Also the random bystander that's like "men taking advantage of power in the workplace is awful, but men being punished for those crimes is also too much" is incredibly real

hoopdog
ride.

Postby jefe górgory » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:23 pm

yeah, it is one of the funniest shows i have regularly watched, while being the most open about the darkness and capacity to sabotage themselves and others people have within them which at first glance seems like it should just be impossible

jefe górgory

Postby hoopdog » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:29 pm

It's incredibly explicit about the "humor as a coping device" trope for sure

hoopdog
ride.

Postby blurst of times » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:49 pm

renewed for season 6!

after american vandal got canceled, i was worried this would be next on the chopping block, so this news is a relief.

blurst of times
ride.

Postby blurst of times » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:51 pm

to add to what people said above about what this show gets right, i like that it empathizes with bojack's struggles without letting him off the hook for his shitty behavior. the todd speech in s3 about how he's what's wrong with himself was pretty explicit about that. so many anti-hero shows that take themselves way more seriously than this one fail at striking that balance.

blurst of times
ride.

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:04 am

yay

but also :(

i think the timing is right tho. i'm really excited to see how they use the energy of wrapping this up

Pops Freshenmeyer

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley