Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Lowercase Tea » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:18 pm

These are mostly just uninformed teenagers that haven't fully developed empathy yet. I don't think we need to murder them yet.

Edit: pretty much: http://badassdigest.com/2014/08/31/why-i-feel-bad-for-and-understand-the-angry-gamergate-gamers/
Lowercase Tea

Postby hologram » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:20 pm

there should have only been nintendo, everyone else got greedy

imagine a world without fps, there would be so much bmx going on
hologram
acid casualty

Postby internethandle » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:22 pm

game culture may be the most bereft culture
internethandle
ok

Postby gold and glass » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:24 pm

End the Internet
fuck you and your corporation
gold and glass
ok

Postby Tom Cruise » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:25 pm

gotta hate nerds
katy perry pissing all over my diamond-encrusted crown as I sentence another peon to death
Tom Cruise

Postby badhat » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:29 pm

i dont follow gammer culture any more than necessary to converse with my kid but i have long been a fan of jenn frank and her tweets, articles and retweets this week have been super on point, as she reliably is.

https://twitter.com/jennatar
admittedly the metal thread has recently taken a hit
badhat

Postby X Marks My Pot » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:31 pm

isn't all fandom terrible tho
X Marks My Pot

Postby badhat » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:31 pm

of course as i share that, rather that righteously defending feminism in gaming culture shes live tweeting the saved by the bell movie
badhat

Postby Feech La Manna » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:35 pm

badhat wrote:of course as i share that, rather that righteously defending feminism in gaming culture shes live tweeting the saved by the bell movie

so what
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby badhat » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:38 pm

so what what
badhat

Postby Spoilt Victorian Child » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:47 pm

Lowercase Tea wrote:These are mostly just uninformed teenagers that haven't fully developed empathy yet. I don't think we need to murder them yet.

Edit: pretty much: http://badassdigest.com/2014/08/31/why-i-feel-bad-for-and-understand-the-angry-gamergate-gamers/

This seems about right although I think it is not just ignorance and alienation but also the general mental instability of adolescent boys.
Spoilt Victorian Child
ok

Postby Tom Cruise » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:48 pm

someone sum this up in a few lines? i don't wanna read some long-ass blog posts
katy perry pissing all over my diamond-encrusted crown as I sentence another peon to death
Tom Cruise

Postby badhat » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:50 pm

cp from an article that summarizes it

the mess started when an angry ex-boyfriend of [Game designer] Zoe Quinn’s posted a dirty-laundry double load of drama-laden chats with her that, he claimed, made her out to be a manipulative liar and a shameless self-promoter. One of his most contentious (and unproven) accusations: that she slept with a gaming journalist at Kotaku who helped secure favorable coverage and publicity for her game Depression Quest. The allegation roiled a youthful (I won’t say immature, but many of your brethren are in their teens) gaming community that already had a volatile relationship with an increasingly commercialized and clickbait-driven gaming press.
badhat

Postby badhat » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:52 pm

oh and he posted nudes of her too i believe

then basically rather than condemning the character assassination she was subjected to, a lot of gamer shitbags went after her for breaches of "journalistic integrity"
badhat

Postby Buddy Glass » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:54 pm

There's no doubt I posted some shameful shit when I was like 12 posting on gaming boards. I haven't been following this at all, so I'm sure there's more to it, but by and large the people I knew from those circles grew up to be reasonably well-adjusted, decent human beings. I think the internet, especially with the instant worldwide megaphone amplification of social media, has a way of exaggerating and perhaps worsening things, because people get backed into a corner and become defensive. If the jocks were boarding somewhere you can rest assured it would be even worse. These kids are harmless, or at least they were in my time.
Last edited by Buddy Glass on Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What became of her? She lived, as she liked to say, off the kindness of gentlemen. I assume she’s dead.
Buddy Glass

Postby important dentist » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:55 pm

oh i assumed this was something about how adolescent boys are pissed about attempts to make video games less misogynist?
"My foremost duty is to the board," Important Dentist countered. "I
cannot afford to spend that much time researching human sexuality."
important dentist

or is that just their general MO and this is unrelated
important dentist

i mean obviously it's related but
important dentist

Postby Feech La Manna » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:57 pm

imagine the implications if there were real corruption in the video game journalism field

the IMPLICATIONS
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby badhat » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:59 pm

important dentist wrote:oh i assumed this was something about how adolescent boys are pissed about attempts to make video games less misogynist?

thats actually flared of lately too but its because of an unrelated incident.
badhat

Postby Feech La Manna » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:59 pm

like, of course there's no integrity to that "career", every AAA game gets 9-10's everywhere

somehow the earth has continued to spin
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Buddy Glass » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:59 pm

Then again I stopped playing/caring about games around age 16 and had an awkward couple of years on my gaming board where myself and a few other people tried to talk movies and music, and I eventually found this place instead. So maybe the dudes that still care are on some other shit.
What became of her? She lived, as she liked to say, off the kindness of gentlemen. I assume she’s dead.
Buddy Glass

Postby jca » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:00 pm

generic wrote:feminists are coming to take your video games away

the feminist bit is way less interesting than the media collusion imo
jca

Postby badhat » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:02 pm

Buddy Glass wrote:Then again I stopped playing/caring about games around age 16 and had an awkward couple of years on my gaming board where myself and a few other people tried to talk movies and music, and I eventually found this place instead. So maybe the dudes that still care are on some other shit.

i mean i think saying its harmless underesimates the larger problem of misogyny in social media and how vocal feminists are pretty routinely subjected to rape and death threats and police and fbi response is to shrug and tell them to stay off twitter then
badhat

Postby Feech La Manna » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:03 pm

Let's start a Twitter flame war involving thousands of people because Modern Family won another Emmy
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Lowercase Tea » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:06 pm

badhat wrote:
Buddy Glass wrote:Then again I stopped playing/caring about games around age 16 and had an awkward couple of years on my gaming board where myself and a few other people tried to talk movies and music, and I eventually found this place instead. So maybe the dudes that still care are on some other shit.

i mean i think saying its harmless underesimates the larger problem of misogyny in social media and how vocal feminists are pretty routinely subjected to rape and death threats and police and fbi response is to shrug and tell them to stay off twitter then

This is fair, but the endless name calling and bullying isn't going to get them to think "Oh, well they're people too so I should recognize their agency"
Lowercase Tea

Postby badhat » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:07 pm

generic wrote:
JayCA wrote:
generic wrote:feminists are coming to take your video games away

the feminist bit is way less interesting than the media collusion imo

the feminist bit is literally the only reason any of them care

yeah i mean, the idea that the same standards of journalistic integrity apply to entertainment journaliststs as... say... political journalists, is a total crutch to give these guys and excuse to engage in a full on character assassination that would be inappropriate and overreaching in political politics, much less game reviews.
badhat

Postby badhat » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:07 pm

Lowercase Tea wrote:
badhat wrote:

This is fair, but the endless name calling and bullying isn't going to get them to think "Oh, well they're people too so I should recognize their agency"

hold on who are you accusing of bullying whom?
badhat

Postby Feech La Manna » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:08 pm

guys if I can't trust Kotaku who the fuck can I trust???
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Buddy Glass » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:09 pm

badhat wrote:

Yeah the internet landscape was completely different, much more isolated. It was a niche thing still to really even know about or be on the internet, and there was barely any interaction between other boards/communities. Twitter kind of flattened the landscape so now you have people with a more mature, evolved perspective interacting with (as someone else pointed out) isolated/angry/vaguely sociopathic teenagers. The board I posted on eventually became more self-policing as people got older and developed more empathy about things, but even at its worst it was never about like literally threatening to rape or kill someone. Lots of rape jokes, though, albeit usually about other dudes and with zero intention/chance of them being enacted. Sounds like that's unfortunately changed.
Buddy Glass

Next

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.