The Running Thread

All Are Welcome!

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby Quixotic » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:34 pm

nice pass wrote:Just ran my first ever mile under 7 minutes. Yay.

sick ass

Quixotic

Postby Kuboaa » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:12 pm

just did my first run fueling with maurten (the 160 mix), took all 17 oz in like 4 increments over the first 40-45 mins of an 8.5 mile run and didn't even feel the beginnings of a stitch or cramp and felt more or less fully fueled the entire run, did have the weird feelings a couple times of having a full stomach but I'm sure that will go away after a few sessions, I'm pretty impressed initially with it

Kuboaa

Postby clouds » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:11 pm

Mine Is Clouds wrote:just signed up for my first race in 2 weeks. 8k trail. i am way fat and and out of shape and this seems like a good way to get motivated by shame. ran a 4.5 mile loop trail saturday without stopping or dying so i am at least 80% confident i can do it without stopping/walking.

i runner now?

50:59 for me, 51:02 for my girlfriend. we weren't even trying to run together - jut worked out that way. she got third place in her 25-29 women's group and won a pint glass.lol 35thand 36th out of 125-ish people.

not bad for newbs i guess. i hadn't run in 5 years until 3 weeks ago. her since high school. probably taking my running talk talk to the 'don't look like summer shit' thread since we aren't real runners (yet) and that thread fits us better, but wanted to give an update! trail running is fun! the hills still kill me. had to walk a couple.

clouds

Postby Quixotic » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:20 pm

thats awesome for both of you. definitely stick around here if you like. placing top 25% after only 3 weeks of running makes me think you both are probably pretty talented athletes to start...

Quixotic

Postby clouds » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:22 pm

i think we had an advantage because we hike so much. lots of really experienced road runners there that i think were struggling with the trail being so rough + incline.

clouds

Postby Kuboaa » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:28 pm

good job dude, yeah I'd check in here every so often, it's a great place to bounce questions/ideas off of

Kuboaa

Postby Hal Jordan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:44 pm

Just did 10 miles for the first time ever
A lamp with a white shade was knocked over and broken. Someone was smoking pot. “This is the pot room!” a young man said.
Hal Jordan

Postby Kuboaa » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:02 pm

thumbs up, how did it feel? Think you can extend that further?

Kuboaa

Postby Hal Jordan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:21 pm

Last mile was tough! I think so, want to do 11 next weekend. Kept a steady almost exact 9 min pace the entire way, which was my goal.
A lamp with a white shade was knocked over and broken. Someone was smoking pot. “This is the pot room!” a young man said.
Hal Jordan

Postby Hal Jordan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:27 pm

I could feel it in my hips and hamstrings in that last mile, not used to running for that length of time. Felt fine after i stopped.

3 weeks from today i do my first 10k race
Hal Jordan

Postby bear » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:45 pm

so, i had my Achilles problem and then a bad chest cold. marathon is may 6th. last run three weeks ago was 18 miles - except for one mile I did right before i got sick. that was fine. and my ankle feels great now. but I'm not sure what kind of schedule to run once this cold clears up tomorrow or the next day. any thoughts? just pick up where I left off after a couple easy days? do I still have enough training time to get in shape to at least finish?
bear
good bear

Postby Kuboaa » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:59 pm

you probably didn't lose that much fitness, your lungs might take a couple runs to get back in shape tho
I'd do a few <6 mile runs to see where your body really is and then go from there, you should probably try to shoot for being back at 18 by like the first week of April and then you might have to accelerate your long run progression, what were you planning for your taper?
this is all baring how your Achilles responds to getting back into a schedule obv

edit: full disclosure, I've never had Achilles issues so you need a few more opinions from other runners here who have and how they came back from it

Kuboaa

Postby grayfox » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:57 pm

bear wrote:so, i had my Achilles problem and then a bad chest cold. marathon is may 6th. last run three weeks ago was 18 miles - except for one mile I did right before i got sick. that was fine. and my ankle feels great now. but I'm not sure what kind of schedule to run once this cold clears up tomorrow or the next day. any thoughts? just pick up where I left off after a couple easy days? do I still have enough training time to get in shape to at least finish?

i had an achilles issue that never really cleared up and kept me out 6 months. so, take the first couple slowly. if you feel any stiffness or pain, make sure it's just general soreness from laying off for a bit, nothing worse. if you dont' experience any pain, just jump back into your normal volume. one thing that really helped my achilles was filling up a small plastic trashcan with water and dumping a ton of ice in it and just keeping it in there for about 20 mins. i put my leg/foot in a trash bag so it didn't get wet, and provided a little protected from the ice.

3 weeks you've probably lost a bit of speed work and endurance, but it shouldn't be that bad, depending on how you've been training. you wont' be as sharp, but you'll be fine on most runs as long as you aren't running hard. if you're doing speed work, ease back into it with workouts on the 3 mile side rather than 4-5. the long run i think you can still do as scheduled.

grayfox
the foxiest

Postby bear » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:12 pm

ahh yeah that trashcan idea is so good, thanks you two
bear
good bear

Postby Quixotic » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:28 pm

ran a mile this morning in 5:34 - much slower than last year which was something like 5:10. to be fair to myself this is the first time i've run on a track this year, and its an indoor 230m track (7 laps = 1mi).

Quixotic

Postby deadbass » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:53 pm

I got a bit of achilles pain a couple weeks back during a run, which is the first time that's happened. It's gone now, so I'm going to try and do an easy run today, hoping it doesn't flare up again.

deadbass

Postby grayfox » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:44 pm

Bear and deadbass. I recommend immediately starting strengthening our calves and lower leg muscles. Especially through eccentric calf raises before this becomes a problem.

grayfox
the foxiest

Postby deadbass » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:56 pm

Yeah that didn't go well and I totally feel it in my calf. I stopped quickly and it's just a dull ache, but I'll definitely follow your advice. Thanks!

deadbass

Postby Reliable Tradesman » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:56 pm

If I did a ‘Swimmers’ Thread’ would that be a waste of time? A worthy endeavour? Or an act of war on runners?

I just want to talk about swimming because my body can’t handle running.

C

Reliable Tradesman

Postby grayfox » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:24 am

Go for it. No reason not to have a group dedicated to another sport. Swimming doesn't fit in here and there's a bike thread.

grayfox
the foxiest

Postby Quixotic » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:01 am

well, for anyone that's interested in the barkley marathons, the race will start in 30 minutes (9:33 am EST). limited media presence at the race course (i believe media is only allowed at the start finish) - we won't be getting much in terms of updates but its still interesting to follow on twitter. this - https://twitter.com/marctrussler/lists/barkley-marathons - is probably the best twitter list to follow. you can do #BM100 but its super cluttered. course looks to be pretty rough this year. temps are above freezing but there's snow drifts on the north-facing slopes and rain is expected for a good amount of the weekend.

Quixotic

Postby hellosir » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:59 am

Newbie here. This thread’s been very informative so far. I’ve run in a variety of shoes but the Nike Flyknit Racer has been by far my favorite. I’m realizing I might need to rotate in a new pair though. I’m at about 30-40 miles a week. Any thoughts?

hellosir

Postby grayfox » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:52 am

hellosir wrote:Newbie here. This thread’s been very informative so far. I’ve run in a variety of shoes but the Nike Flyknit Racer has been by far my favorite. I’m realizing I might need to rotate in a new pair though. I’m at about 30-40 miles a week. Any thoughts?

Flyknit racer degrades really quickly and is really only meant for racing or interval workouts. Id recommend getting in an actual trainer and just saving the racer for racing and workouts. If you like Nike I do like the Pegasus a lot.

grayfox
the foxiest

Postby hellosir » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:11 pm

I've enjoyed the Pegasus in the past but I REALLY like the lighter 'closer to the road' feeling of the Flyknit Racer, but understand that it's a pretty flimsy/minimal shoe. Are any of these new natural / responsive shoes worth the hype?

hellosir

Postby grayfox » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:38 pm

No it's all hype based on pseudo science.

Running in racers all the time carries a higher risk of injury. They're not meant to be used like that.

grayfox
the foxiest

Postby Quixotic » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:03 pm

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/article-why-treating-runners-knee-can-be-a-simple-fix/

article wrote:It was supposed to be a head-to-head match-up between the two main approaches to treating painful cases of runner’s knee, the most common injury among recreational runners. Researchers wanted to know whether it was a better treatment to strengthen your leg muscles, or modify your running stride.

But as the data from the university study trickled in, it was soon clear that neither approach was getting better results than the control group, who received no treatment. Instead, they were simply given some straightforward advice about how to minimize the load on their knees and safely adjust their training, with similar results.

The study involved 69 runners in Quebec City who had all been struggling with patellofemoral pain, one of several conditions commonly referred to as runner’s knee, for at least three months. Over an eight-week period, each runner attended five physiotherapy sessions in which they received education about how to allow their knee to recover and safely return to training.

Participants were taught to run more frequently but for shorter durations and at a slower pace; avoid downhills and stair running; stop running if pain exceeds 2 on a scale of 1 to 10 or if it remains painful for more than an hour after running; and to increase distance gradually before adding speed and hills.

Still working on the knee. Was getting a lot better but I think I overdid it this week. Went out on a group run at a 4min/km pace which is much faster than my normal run tempo. Only 8km but I could feel a small dull pain for a few days after.

Quixotic

Postby Lucky » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:19 pm

Hey, I'm not a runner but I had to run the other day (on the sidewalk) and pretty much immediately got a pain on the top of my foot. What's the deal with that?
If it helps I was wearing Roshe Runs, not laced tightly or anything.
katy perry pissing all over my diamond-encrusted crown as I sentence another peon to death

Lucky

Postby ouroboros » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:27 pm

Finally getting over this hip injury. Now I'm just waiting on Spring to arrive in the PNW.

ouroboros

Postby Kuboaa » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:33 pm

Tom Cruise wrote:Hey, I'm not a runner but I had to run the other day (on the sidewalk) and pretty much immediately got a pain on the top of my foot. What's the deal with that?
If it helps I was wearing Roshe Runs, not laced tightly or anything.

roshes are not legit running shoes despite the name, how old/broken-in are they? it might be mostly shoe related, also might be because you don't run, you always have initial pain that goes away when you first start actually running on a schedule

Kuboaa

Postby Kuboaa » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:38 pm

hellosir wrote:I've enjoyed the Pegasus in the past but I REALLY like the lighter 'closer to the road' feeling of the Flyknit Racer, but understand that it's a pretty flimsy/minimal shoe. Are any of these new natural / responsive shoes worth the hype?

yeah put more credence into how the shoe actually feels to you and less in the marketing
I have a pair of Saucony Freedoms in my rotation and I love them, the one thing that seems legit about boost/everrun tho is that they usually have long lifespans since the material doesn't break down as fast as EVA

Kuboaa

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley