Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby based dana scully » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:42 pm

son of chucky wrote:i'm really dreading winter because i live in semi-rural upstate NY and running outside just won't be an option. i've been getting back into things and am seriously depressed at the prospect of not being able to run soon.

what do you all do? treadmills? i could do that for 5-6 miles but longer than that i just want to kill myself. i'm thinking of trying to use the indoor track at the university. not ideal either but not a treadmill.

I do treadmill if it’s not safe or possible to go outside or too cold to be comfortable. I used to hate the treadmill too and would stop after 20 min. I would use an indoor track over the treadmill tho unless doing a hill workout. For me what has helped enjoy the treadmill:
- going by time and not distance, starting small and increasing the time slowly to get mentally used to it
- trying to switch it up every few minutes by varying incline and/or pace
- good upbeat music
- interesting tv if possible - I like watching hockey or something g else really engaging
- treating the treadmill time as a chance to get really hot and sweaty in the middle of winter, be in shorts and a tank top - I try to think of it like a mini vacation from being cold and wearing a million layers.
- having a goal for those times when you ask yourself what’s the point
based dana scully

Postby based dana scully » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:46 pm

Classic Dog Avatar wrote:snowshoeing wasn't my cup of tea either but it seems to have a much better analogue to interval running

I was reading up in competitive snowshoe running a while back and it’s actually so inefficient as a form of exercise that it will make you strong but definitely not fast. People who snowshoe race mostly train by running for their fitness component and then snowshoeing just enough to have a good handle on technique.

Anyway, i like snowshoeing if it’s going up/down, ie a hike, but loathe flat snowshoe running.
based dana scully

Postby based dana scully » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:47 pm

bear wrote:my friend that runs says cross country skiing is basically lower impact running and possibly even more fun, he tries to get me to do it all the time

Second this!
based dana scully

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:23 am

conductor wrote:Yeah I run in crazy below zero but the trails are almost always cleared off, which is much more important than temperature to me.

Kudos to the marathoners who have gotten back out already. I was recovering well but now have plantar pain after resting for 7 days??? Going to treat it, but I'm very confused.

meh, you just ran a marathon. Things can tighten up in unexpected ways and you can favor it when walking around. Take another week off and just do some deep gentle stretching every day. After that start back with some light jogging if you feel okay but continue with the stretching.

I always took 2-3 weeks off after a marathon, first week nothing, then stretching and light activity.
Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby conductor » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:19 pm

Counterpoint: I wanna fuckin RUN!!!!!

(thank you. I know I need to be patient... I'm already feeling better with the stretching and going to try to get out for a couple miles this weekend. If not, no big deal)
conductor

Postby son of chucky » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:08 pm

thanks for the winter / treadmill tips bds and others, that's helpful
I am going to buy more books about elderly dogs in the future. Thank you.
son of chucky

Postby grayfox » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:36 pm

just started working out again a few weeks ago, ran a race buster 5k 2 weeks ago and ran 18:32 (this sucked for me), then today ran a 17:53. i fell asleep on the 2nd mile, but chased down 2 people and passed them in the last half mile really easily. i need to figure out what pace i'm actually capable of holding, cuz i know i could've done that for longer.
i've got an 8k in 2 weeks, planning to see if i can manage to hold this 5k pace for the entire race, or faster. a lot can change in 2 weeks i guess.
grayfox
the foxiest

Postby deadbass » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:58 pm

I know it's of no use to everyone because you have your own barometer for what is Good and what is Bad but some of the times people here run (and are disappointed with) are astonishingly fast to me and I feel like you should be proud of what they represent even if it's not your personal best. I don't mean settle or anything, just a reminder that running a 5k in 18:32 is objectively really impressive!
deadbass

Postby grayfox » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:09 pm

I'm still working back into shape, it's all relative. I've run a half marathon at the pace I ran that 5k in 2 weeks ago. So, that was just kind of an eye opener/rust buster. But, yeah, I hear you. Compared to where I want to be, I'm far off. My old training partner beat me today running 16:45. Oh what could've been.
grayfox
the foxiest

Postby bear » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:31 pm

20:26 in a 5k today. was rough, I was choking for air near the end, really trying to push myself. would like to do another 5k under 20m before the Pittsburgh Marathon.
Last edited by bear on Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hpn.center - the #1 source for all your boarding needs
bear
good bear

Postby Classic Dog Avatar » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:17 pm

My last 5k I was sub-6 for the first two mi (good for me, I've always been slow) then 8:30 to the end
Classic Dog Avatar
ride.

Postby Quixotic » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:03 pm

i took a dumb spill on my bike and decided to bail on this big orienteering event this weekend, which stinks! feels like every week or two theres another roadblock to training / injury recovery
Quixotic

Postby goldsoundz » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:32 pm

i had to bail on the marathon i was supposed to be running tomorrow. went out for a short run on friday, my calf didn't feel stable enough to try to run 26 miles on. so i swallowed hard and decided not to risk further injury. hopefully it's the right move and i only miss a couple more weeks or so. but it really sucks.
goldsoundz

Postby grayfox » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:02 pm

sorry to hear goldsoundz, that's a bummer, but likely the right decision. maybe if you feel better you can hop in another full relatively soon so you don't waste the cycle.

i did my longest run today since the 2016 boston marathon. only 13 miles, but i hadn't gone over 12 since that race. starting to finally feel stronger.
grayfox
the foxiest

Postby based dana scully » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:52 pm

goldsoundz wrote:i had to bail on the marathon i was supposed to be running tomorrow. went out for a short run on friday, my calf didn't feel stable enough to try to run 26 miles on. so i swallowed hard and decided not to risk further injury. hopefully it's the right move and i only miss a couple more weeks or so. but it really sucks.

bummer about not doing the race. are there other marathons in your area this fall? do you know what's wrong with your calf?
based dana scully

Postby Kuboaa » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:58 pm

grayfox wrote:i got my vaporfly 4%s....these feel....unfair. now i just need a longer race to utilize them in...which means i need time. maybe a half in the spring is possible.

but they're very cushy, every push off you can feel the shoe launch you forward, it's insane.

sort of related, I've run a handful of runs in the Reebok FloatRide Run Fasts and I am super impressed with them, they feel like boost material evolved with a firmer ride until you push off then they respond like crazy, the forefoot is made of the same material as the vaporflys (minus the spring plate) so if anyone in the thread is eyeballing some vaporflys but can't find any or doesn't want to drop the change the FloatRide's are readily available and most def worth the 140 bucks
only negatives so far is that both colorways are mostly white and they run a tad wider than your normal running shoe, I have to tighten them tighter than I usually do

most impressed initially I have been with a shoe since the NB 1400 v3s
Kuboaa

Postby Quixotic » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:40 pm

gonna try run commuting next week. biking won't be an option come winter (too much salt, grit, can't store bike inside); transit would be about 20 minutes slower than running (maybe about equivalent after showering and changing); and don't want to drive. 5k one way, so shouldn't be insane. just tested out a pack that might work (ultimate direction 25L).

anyone else tried this?
Quixotic

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:41 pm

Quixotic wrote:gonna try run commuting next week. biking won't be an option come winter (too much salt, grit, can't store bike inside); transit would be about 20 minutes slower than running (maybe about equivalent after showering and changing); and don't want to drive. 5k one way, so shouldn't be insane. just tested out a pack that might work (ultimate direction 25L).

anyone else tried this?

I started bike commuting (game changer!) and now I am starting to seriously contemplate this. It’s the best way I can think of to get back to 3-5 runs a week — just doesn’t work with our 9-month-old to go out on my own in the mornings.

It’s 6 mi one way, too far to run both directions, which makes it an order of magnitude more logistically complicated. Probably something like bike - run - run - bike over 2 days is the answer, with a lot of shuttling clothes on the bike legs. I think I have a solution for not schlepping my laptop, so I’d just need to carry a phone and a work badge.

I’ve never run with a phone and get too sweaty to hold it in my hand. So I think I need like a fanny pack that sits on the small of my back. Any recommendations? Or better ideas?

Run commuting really is the dream though. I had an old teammate who was a lawyer in SF with a 4-mi commute each way, he added on in the morning so he was getting 11-12 a day and still saving time vs the bus.
Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby dvr » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:13 pm

Jefferson Zeppelin wrote:
Quixotic wrote:gonna try run commuting next week. biking won't be an option come winter (too much salt, grit, can't store bike inside); transit would be about 20 minutes slower than running (maybe about equivalent after showering and changing); and don't want to drive. 5k one way, so shouldn't be insane. just tested out a pack that might work (ultimate direction 25L).

anyone else tried this?

I started bike commuting (game changer!) and now I am starting to seriously contemplate this. It’s the best way I can think of to get back to 3-5 runs a week — just doesn’t work with our 9-month-old to go out on my own in the mornings.

It’s 6 mi one way, too far to run both directions, which makes it an order of magnitude more logistically complicated. Probably something like bike - run - run - bike over 2 days is the answer, with a lot of shuttling clothes on the bike legs. I think I have a solution for not schlepping my laptop, so I’d just need to carry a phone and a work badge.

I’ve never run with a phone and get too sweaty to hold it in my hand. So I think I need like a fanny pack that sits on the small of my back. Any recommendations? Or better ideas?

Run commuting really is the dream though. I had an old teammate who was a lawyer in SF with a 4-mi commute each way, he added on in the morning so he was getting 11-12 a day and still saving time vs the bus.

also interested in some kind of small pack. i don't see myself being able to budget a gps watch at the current prices and i'd like to know accurate distances

i've been running more on a treadmill because of this, which i suppose isn't a terrible thing to get comfortable on with winter approaching. i'm 2.75mi away from my 3rd 20mile week in a row. :awful:
dvr

Postby kid pretentious » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:23 pm

i feel like a lot of people swear by flipbelts, haven't actually taken the plunge yet myself.
kid pretentious

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:46 pm

wow, those flipbelt things look like exactly what I’m looking for. Will check it out at REI and report back.
Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby Quixotic » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:14 am

i have something like a flipbelt but made by nathan. it's good, can fit phone, keys, cards, etc... but the elasticity has worn out so it jumps around a little bit once i pick up the pace.

i tried out a pack this weekend since i'll be bringing in clothes and lunch daily. i agree that it seems almost more complicated to do it one-way. while the weather is still OK i'll likely cycle one or more times per week since my weekly running mileage is still fairly low and run-commuting would add an additional 20k (assuming i only ran on weekends)
Quixotic

Postby grayfox » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:06 am

i have a small osprey backpack that works really well.

you can run commute 6 miles each way! i have friends that do that all 5 days.
grayfox
the foxiest

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:15 am

Quixotic wrote:i tried out a pack this weekend since i'll be bringing in clothes and lunch daily. i agree that it seems almost more complicated to do it one-way.

My friend who ran-commute in SF every day would take the bus Monday AM with a duffel of clean clothes and Friday PM with a duffel of dirty clothes. Everything else was a run. Lunch is harder to solve for.

grayfox wrote:you can run commute 6 miles each way! i have friends that do that all 5 days.

My body can't handle it right now. :)
Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby grayfox » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:27 am

it'll adapt! i went from running 30 miles a week with the wife/kid around, to running 65 when they went on vacation. you'll live.
grayfox
the foxiest

Postby kid pretentious » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:41 am

do y’all have showers at work or something? i bike commute daily but i still feel paranoid about smelling bad even then.
kid pretentious

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:56 am

kid pretentious wrote:do y’all have showers at work or something? i bike commute daily but i still feel paranoid about smelling bad even then.

yeah I gotta shower, we have them at work. I can sweat through a shirt in 10 min.
Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby Quixotic » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:47 am

kid pretentious wrote:do y’all have showers at work or something? i bike commute daily but i still feel paranoid about smelling bad even then.

yeah, shower at work. wouldnt do it otherwise
Quixotic

Postby brittle » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:35 am

You don't get very stinky on a bike, unless you're out for a few hours, or it's ungodly hot.

You sweat, but it instantly evaporates so no bacteria really takes hold.

And I'm a guy who is dripping sweat after twenty minutes of walking and five minutes running.
Last edited by brittle on Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brittle

Postby grayfox » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:09 pm

The NYC marathon coverage on ESPN probably couldn't be any worse
grayfox
the foxiest

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....