Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby grayfox » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:27 pm

that said, good stuff from the american women
grayfox
the foxiest

Postby Mr. Cool Wave » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:39 pm

I got a PR of 1:27:35 in the Golden Gate Half today! I didn't bring a watch & there weren't any course timers, so I had no idea that I was running way faster than I had planned, but I was able to hold my splits. Really proud of my dumb body for holding up.
Mr. Cool Wave

Postby Mr. Cool Wave » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:52 pm

Quixotic wrote:gonna try run commuting next week. biking won't be an option come winter (too much salt, grit, can't store bike inside); transit would be about 20 minutes slower than running (maybe about equivalent after showering and changing); and don't want to drive. 5k one way, so shouldn't be insane. just tested out a pack that might work (ultimate direction 25L).

Run commuting is great! I did it a handful of times last fall. I didn't have a great shower situation, so I would just run home from work. Running over the Williamsburg bridge at sunset was divine. Ended up abandoning the practice in the winter since my coat was too bulky to fit in the pack :(
Mr. Cool Wave

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:49 pm

I went to REI and bought a Flipbelt, it felt the best of the alternatives I tried on, and it's machine-washable which is a huge plus. Will try it out later this week I think.
Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby based dana scully » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:13 am

Mr. Cool Wave wrote:I got a PR of 1:27:35 in the Golden Gate Half today! I didn't bring a watch & there weren't any course timers, so I had no idea that I was running way faster than I had planned, but I was able to hold my splits. Really proud of my dumb body for holding up.

Congrats! That is a great time. I think it can really pay off to run by feel and ditch the watch in a race!
based dana scully

Postby based dana scully » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:15 am

Jefferson Zeppelin wrote:I went to REI and bought a Flipbelt, it felt the best of the alternatives I tried on, and it's machine-washable which is a huge plus. Will try it out later this week I think.

curious to hear how you like it. i'm thinking of trying something like that for keeping my phone next to my body in cold temps so it won't die.
based dana scully

Postby based dana scully » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:24 am

we went from highs above zero to highs of ~-10C in less than a week in whitehorse and it's got me kinda down. i had my peak marathon training week this week and it snowed every day and they didn't clear the roads or sidewalks. i did 16 mi saturday and 18 mi sunday in the snow. my paces were actually right on what i was hoping for but it was really demoralizing - all that slipping around gets old fast. i got yak trax for my sunday run but took them off half way through because they were causing a bit of soreness in one of my feet. i've been totally fine with winter the past 2 years but this year i am mentally struggling and it's just begun. run commuting seems like a good idea (having a bit of purpose and a destination might help) but i like bringing my dog to work and she's injured so she can't run with me. anyway this is just a complaining post... 3 weeks til marathon for me.
based dana scully

Postby ouroboros » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:54 am

Does REI carry the naked belt? That's what I use and really like it. Holds plenty of gear (500ml bottle, iphone 8, gloves). Highly recommend if you're not satisfied with the flipbelt... similar looking enough.
ouroboros

Postby deadbass » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:19 am

I've been run commuting home from work a few days a week. I have a flip belt and love it - it's super handy. I use this Deuter backpack - I like it because it has a mesh touching your back and doesn't swing around at all when you run.

deadbass

Postby Quixotic » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:09 pm

so i traded in the ultimate direction 25L fastpack for the salomon skin pro 15L - it's made of a stretchier fabric so it doesn't bounce as much, and 15L should be enough for run commuting and the occasional time I take it out for a longer trail run

day 1 of run commuting was a success (aside from forgetting my work hard drive)
Quixotic

Postby creedence tapes » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:21 pm

deadbass wrote:I've been run commuting home from work a few days a week. I have a flip belt and love it - it's super handy. I use this Deuter backpack - I like it because it has a mesh touching your back and doesn't swing around at all when you run.

seconding this one. i do the commute 5 days a week 6 miles one way, and i fit shoes, pants and a shirt in there no problem, plus room for a phone, keys, wallet and any other incidentals I need (weed, its weed everybody).

I'm gearing up to start doing it twice a day soon through the winter, since i started last may i've just been doing it one way. its literally the most efficient i've ever felt, it saves time and money, it makes you so aware of what the real like cost of a modern life is I guess?
creedence tapes

Postby grayfox » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:26 pm

i'd run commute if i lived closer than 30 miles from my office and didn't have to carry my laptop with me every day
grayfox
the foxiest

Postby Mr. Cool Wave » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:17 pm

somewhat-related question: has anyone else noticed a big uptick in people wearing "trail running outfits" on regular-ass runs around town? so much performance gear and outdoor research hats and hydration vests. they must think i'm a total slob, haha
Mr. Cool Wave

Postby grayfox » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:26 pm

i see a ton of hydration belts and overdressed people, but nothing crazy. but i've been seeing those people for a while. they used to wear vibram five finger shoes, now they wear hokas. we call them "weekend warriors"

i think it's just a matter of these guys flooding local running stores and grabbing a ton of shit

last year my friend and i passed this guy near the end of our run, and he commented on our pace, i think we were running in the high 6s, which is fairly comfortable for us, and he was probably around 10-11. we ended up finishing our run in the same place, and he came up to chat with us and asked how far we'd run. we said about 14, and he was shocked that we had run that fair without carrying a backpack of water. he asked us a ton of questions about mileage/pace, it was just clear that we're 2 different types of runners. good for him for getting out there and putting in work though, just not really a lean racer type, just more of a hobbyist. those types seem to always load up on gear that i dont' think they really need all the time.
grayfox
the foxiest

Postby grayfox » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:30 pm

mr cool wave are you on strava? i don't know much about you, but good half! i added you to the first page under PRs
grayfox
the foxiest

Postby Hideaway Lights » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:23 pm

I’m back into the 23s for 5k. A couple years ago I was in the 21s but now being in my mid 40s it’s harder to shave the time off...
Hideaway Lights

Postby Mr. Cool Wave » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:32 am

grayfox wrote:mr cool wave are you on strava? i don't know much about you, but good half! i added you to the first page under PRs

i've been stuck on mapmyrun for years, but recently found a python script to bulk-export my run history :) just applied to join the hipinion strava group - i've got the big dogs avatar
Mr. Cool Wave

Postby jbiz » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:21 pm

grayfox wrote:i see a ton of hydration belts and overdressed people, but nothing crazy. but i've been seeing those people for a while. they used to wear vibram five finger shoes, now they wear hokas. we call them "weekend warriors"

i think it's just a matter of these guys flooding local running stores and grabbing a ton of shit

last year my friend and i passed this guy near the end of our run, and he commented on our pace, i think we were running in the high 6s, which is fairly comfortable for us, and he was probably around 10-11. we ended up finishing our run in the same place, and he came up to chat with us and asked how far we'd run. we said about 14, and he was shocked that we had run that fair without carrying a backpack of water. he asked us a ton of questions about mileage/pace, it was just clear that we're 2 different types of runners. good for him for getting out there and putting in work though, just not really a lean racer type, just more of a hobbyist. those types seem to always load up on gear that i dont' think they really need all the time.

this is me, kinda, minus the unnecessary gear

this morning i did a tempo run that included 3 miles @ 7:43, 7:41, and 7:36, and it amazes me that people can comfortably run faster than that :ryan:
jbiz

Postby messier object » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:35 pm

yeah, my times have been falling slowly this past year since I started keeping track regularly and it's incredible to me that I used to think low-6s was not great over 3-6mi when I was 17 or whatever.
fouder mister printer the Nowing ones complane of my book the fust edition had no stops I put in A Nuf here and thay may peper and solt it as they plese
messier object

Postby Hideaway Lights » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:55 pm

23:29 today for 5k. Getting faster for sure, and had something left. I still need to lose at least 10 lbs too. If I can keep up 3 days a week (with 2 days of lifting) I'm hoping to shave another minute off by spring.
Hideaway Lights

Postby Kuboaa » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:18 pm

Mr. Cool Wave wrote:somewhat-related question: has anyone else noticed a big uptick in people wearing "trail running outfits" on regular-ass runs around town? so much performance gear and outdoor research hats and hydration vests. they must think i'm a total slob, haha

I ran long runs with Nathan water bottle belt this last summer so I could carry Maurten with me and sorta hated it the entire time, def switching to their gels next year so I can go back to just zipping a couple in my shorts pocket and going back to minimal gear

I feel like running regular runs with a hydration vest is just asking for cramps from drinking too much water
Kuboaa

Postby Quixotic » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:11 pm

Kuboaa wrote:
Mr. Cool Wave wrote:somewhat-related question: has anyone else noticed a big uptick in people wearing "trail running outfits" on regular-ass runs around town? so much performance gear and outdoor research hats and hydration vests. they must think i'm a total slob, haha

I ran long runs with Nathan water bottle belt this last summer so I could carry Maurten with me and sorta hated it the entire time, def switching to their gels next year so I can go back to just zipping a couple in my shorts pocket and going back to minimal gear

I feel like running regular runs with a hydration vest is just asking for cramps from drinking too much water

ottawa's behind the curve - i haven't seen that in the city, but on the trails there's always people who are geared out to do a marathon who are out for a 5 or 10k but... whatever makes you comfortable!
Quixotic

Postby grayfox » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:59 pm

if it's hot i'll carry a lone bottle of water, and throw it away towards the end. i'll fill it up if i need to. otherwise i don't take anything.

on the track workouts i leave a bottle of water on the side and take sips after reps
grayfox
the foxiest

Postby benghost » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:20 pm

first real winter run of the year today in the -17 degree heat
benghost

Postby benghost » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:21 pm

might be time for new winter running shoes - anyone highly recommend anything ?

i usually kind of foolishly run all winter in my grippiest spring/summer/fall shoes and yak trax don't appeal to me
benghost

Postby grayfox » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:26 pm

i don't wear different shoes in the winter, don't know anyone that does. i know nike makes some "shield" shoes for wetness but i dunno anything about them.

did my last workout before my 8k race saturday, felt pretty good. hoping it leads to good results, still working on gaining back my old form.
grayfox
the foxiest

Postby conductor » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:35 pm

I run in normal shoes through Minnesota winter --- on snow/ice basically 90% of the time.
conductor

Postby grayfox » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:37 pm

conductor wrote:I run in normal shoes through Minnesota winter --- on snow/ice basically 90% of the time.

grayfox
the foxiest

Postby conductor » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:41 pm

It's your basic everyday shoe
conductor

Postby Mr. Cool Wave » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:55 pm

i do my winter running in wooden clogs
Mr. Cool Wave

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....