we're gonna have to watch james franco act/talk like tommy

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby easy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:34 am

did you know that everything tommy wiseau ever said is hilarious??
easy
does it

Postby ashtrayheart » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:13 pm

disaster artist:

1. I was mildly entertained the whole time by the charming actors. james franco did a great job of imitating the guy.

2. movie had nothing to say about the subject, no clear reason for existing. it introduced a few decent concepts: is tommy a villain or a hero? is he a manipulator or a lonely bastard or both? but took no time to wrestle with these themes and indeed took no time to deal with any potential conflict/points of interest. i do not understand why greg went off with that tommy guy (i know from personal research it was strictly a money thing and they weren't ever really friends, which makes a ton more sense than what this movie did(n't) tell us) or really what anyone's motivations were. the movie overall was kind of a mess - a bunch of disconnected scenes and a grimey tone that made me uncomfortable in a bad way.

overall, this movie was like, bland as shit. i can't recommend it. instead i recommend going to see lady bird a second time which is what i did on the weekend and it was excellent.
ashtrayheart

Postby ashtrayheart » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:14 pm

it is clear that tommy wiseau is a bad guy but this movie couldnt say it outright so instead it said nothing
ashtrayheart

Postby easy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:21 pm

ashtrayheart, you and I are consistently on the same page about movies
easy
does it

Postby kit fox » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:27 pm

i donno i enjoyed getting high and laughing my ass off at this movie
kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby murray st. » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:29 pm

real good movie
murray st.

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:41 pm

liked most of this and laughed a lot, but that premiere scene (the laughing and hollering and cheering) was exaggerated in order to condense the post-release reaction and cult status right?

i could be wrong, i just assumed people were :? when it came out and it slowly turned into a cult comedy or whatever
the beginning of the beginning of the end of the beginning
Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby incoherent grunting » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:28 pm

I agree with AsstrayFart's take
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
incoherent grunting

Postby important dentist » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:38 pm

incoherent grunting wrote:I agree with AsstrayFart's take

yeah good post

the movie took extensive liberties with the material it had to work with regarding greg and tommy's relationship for the sake of narrative expediency, which bugged me. tommy comes out much worse in the book, and greg much better (no surprise since he wrote it).

that said, the movie was pretty fun and i enjoyed seeing these guys goof off at least
"My foremost duty is to the board," Important Dentist countered. "I
cannot afford to spend that much time researching human sexuality."
important dentist

Postby various artists » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:14 pm

Saw this in a cinema that regularly holds screenings of The Room and people were going pretty wild at my busy screening. I'm a more casual Room fan, but it didn't get too annoying. The 'I DIDN'T DO IT' scene was particularly riotous. I agree that it doesn't really add very much thoughtful to the legacy of the original, but yeah, it was well played and I laughed my ass off from beginning to end.
various artists

Postby Wrong Titus » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:27 pm

pana wrote:

It's odd to see Franco kind of corralling Tommy into doing shtick and hitting rehearsed talking points. I know that's the game you have to play on the talk show circuit, but Franco must know it's kind of neutering.

Though I guess if let off the chain Wisseau would probably say something woefully problematic.
Wrong Titus

Postby shirts optional » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:04 am

this was great
shirts optional

Postby harperesque » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:00 pm

AsshatShart brings up some really legit points which bring down the greatness a bit but I cannot deny how hard I laughed throughout this movie and how much I legit enjoyed Franco as Tommy

I thought Dave was kind of miscast tho
I've got to say sorry for that.
harperesque

Postby evan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:32 pm

The movie isn't good, but I think it's the most I've enjoyed James Franco in anything ever.
evan

Postby madness and chaos » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:32 am

liked it a bit more than I thought I would

7/10

I read the book on a lot of heroin back in the day, so i'm not 100% sure, but there was some scene in the book that tommy and mark fought in a car pulled over in beverly hills by the side of the road and really showed tommy's gay creepiness on him... I'm sure tommy wouldn't let a lot of the book be put in the movie tho. I was waiting for that scene the whole time
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby mites » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:42 am

I’ve seen the room a bunch and enjoy it a lot. Enjoyed this too, but I am left yearning for something more about Tommy.

Ppl are v strange these days
mites

Postby gambra » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:44 am

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:liked most of this and laughed a lot, but that premiere scene (the laughing and hollering and cheering) was exaggerated in order to condense the post-release reaction and cult status right?

i could be wrong, i just assumed people were :? when it came out and it slowly turned into a cult comedy or whatever

Yeah the reaction they show in the movie is a complete fabrication. No one gave a fuck about the film when it was shown, a bunch of people walked out. It took at least a year for it to get picked up in any cult way.
THIS IMPACT WILL CONTROL ALL MARGINS

Scrumptious Justice 8-) wrote:man don't be mean to gambra
gambra

Postby fuckyoudad » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:02 am

madness and chaos wrote:liked it a bit more than I thought I would

7/10

I read the book on a lot of heroin back in the day, so i'm not 100% sure, but there was some scene in the book that tommy and mark fought in a car pulled over in beverly hills by the side of the road and really showed tommy's gay creepiness on him... I'm sure tommy wouldn't let a lot of the book be put in the movie tho. I was waiting for that scene the whole time

I just read the book and I don't remember this at all. There was a lot of worry from Greg's mom about Tommy's intentions and they kind of cover that at the beginning of the movie with the mom questioning Tommy
Note: mildly comedic.
fuckyoudad

Postby madness and chaos » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:13 am

fuckyoudad wrote:

7/10

I just read the book and I don't remember this at all. There was a lot of worry from Greg's mom about Tommy's intentions and they kind of cover that at the beginning of the movie with the mom questioning Tommy

It seemed to me it was the biggest fight they had with resulted in the huge falling out. I didn't think it was in San Francisco as they played football. I thought there were numerous fights too. I swear I remember this. Could be wrong.
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby inanimate object...alive! » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:41 am

evan wrote:The movie isn't good, but I think it's the most I've enjoyed James Franco in anything ever.

how can you say this in a world where spring breakers exists?
inanimate object...alive!

Postby fuckyoudad » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:52 am

madness and chaos wrote:
fuckyoudad wrote:

7/10

It seemed to me it was the biggest fight they had with resulted in the huge falling out. I didn't think it was in San Francisco as they played football. I thought there were numerous fights too. I swear I remember this. Could be wrong.

Ohhh now I know the part you’re talking about, I just didn’t pick up on anything sexual going on there. Yeah they more or less supplanted that fight onto them playing football for the movie
Last edited by fuckyoudad on Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Note: mildly comedic.
fuckyoudad

Postby madness and chaos » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:55 am

fuckyoudad wrote:
madness and chaos wrote:
fuckyoudad wrote:

7/10

Ohhh now I know the part you’re talking about, I just didn’t pick up on anything sexual going on there

that may be what I was confused about. I thought there was some big part where tommy was really creepy and it really showed but that may be my confused/drugged mind recollecting. I knew there was some car fight though that was pretty intense
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby bongo » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:04 am

this was charming and fun

side by side montage at the end slayed
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby Kevin McCallister » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:33 am

It's the loudest I've ever heard Epic by Faith No More so I'm glad I saw this in theatres.
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.
Kevin McCallister

Postby gold and glass » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:48 pm

Kevin McCallister wrote:It's the loudest I've ever heard Epic by Faith No More so I'm glad I saw this in theatres.

yeah i screamed when it came on
fuck you and your corporation
gold and glass
ok

Postby gold and glass » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:49 pm

my girlfriend was like, "what is it?" and i got in her face like "WHAT. IS. IT."
fuck you and your corporation
gold and glass
ok

Postby tgk » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:50 pm

this was not very funny aside from the 25 minutes in the middle when they're actually making the movie.
tgk

Postby blurst of times » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:50 pm

so i listened to the audiobook of the disaster artist on my bus ride home for the holidays. highly recommend it! sestero's wiseau impression is convincing enough that i forgot it wasn't actually tommy at several points, and it had me howling on the bus by myself.

i saw the movie last week, and i enjoyed it and laughed a bunch, but i sort of agree with ashtrayheart about its lack of a stance on wiseau. i think it was probably a condition of him agreeing to sign over the rights to the movie that he be portrayed sympathetically. the book was a lot more clear-eyed about his flaws.

the part from the book i was most disappointed to see cut from the movie was when greg and tommy went to see the talented mr. ripley together (and which inspired him to write the room). it reminded me of that clip of trump talking about citizen kane, where he's self-aware enough to recognize himself on screen, but not enough to realize that that's not a good thing. basically, tommy will be pres.
blurst of times
ride.

Postby inspectorhound » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:14 am

Dave Franco is real bad at acting
inspectorhound

Postby Daft Pun » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:59 am

I couldn't get past the scene where they're drinking red bull. does it get better? so boring
Kenny wrote:and then you die and nothing you did or thought ever mattered
Daft Pun
i'm ill not sicc

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All