we're gonna have to watch james franco act/talk like tommy

Ive found in time the search on this forum was shit but if you google whatever keywords with the word hipinion, you get what you're looking for most of the time. I mean even when they keywords aren't exact.

Postby ashtrayheart » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:13 pm

disaster artist:

1. I was mildly entertained the whole time by the charming actors. james franco did a great job of imitating the guy.

2. movie had nothing to say about the subject, no clear reason for existing. it introduced a few decent concepts: is tommy a villain or a hero? is he a manipulator or a lonely bastard or both? but took no time to wrestle with these themes and indeed took no time to deal with any potential conflict/points of interest. i do not understand why greg went off with that tommy guy (i know from personal research it was strictly a money thing and they weren't ever really friends, which makes a ton more sense than what this movie did(n't) tell us) or really what anyone's motivations were. the movie overall was kind of a mess - a bunch of disconnected scenes and a grimey tone that made me uncomfortable in a bad way.

overall, this movie was like, bland as shit. i can't recommend it. instead i recommend going to see lady bird a second time which is what i did on the weekend and it was excellent.
User avatar
ashtrayheart
 
Posts: 1336
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:02 am

Postby ashtrayheart » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:14 pm

it is clear that tommy wiseau is a bad guy but this movie couldnt say it outright so instead it said nothing
User avatar
ashtrayheart
 
Posts: 1336
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:02 am

Postby easy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:21 pm

ashtrayheart, you and I are consistently on the same page about movies
User avatar
easy
does it
 
Posts: 41425
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:07 pm

Postby kit fox » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:27 pm

i donno i enjoyed getting high and laughing my ass off at this movie
User avatar
kit fox
Mike Vance
 
Posts: 15281
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:57 pm
Location: Real Gone

Postby murray st. » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:29 pm

real good movie
User avatar
murray st.
 
Posts: 23311
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:31 pm

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:41 pm

liked most of this and laughed a lot, but that premiere scene (the laughing and hollering and cheering) was exaggerated in order to condense the post-release reaction and cult status right?

i could be wrong, i just assumed people were :? when it came out and it slowly turned into a cult comedy or whatever
the beginning of the beginning of the end of the beginning
User avatar
Buzz Fledderjohn
 
Posts: 18953
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:21 pm

Postby incoherent grunting » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:28 pm

I agree with AsstrayFart's take
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
User avatar
incoherent grunting
 
Posts: 2845
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:21 pm
Location: life's a beach

Postby important dentist » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:38 pm

incoherent grunting wrote:I agree with AsstrayFart's take

yeah good post

the movie took extensive liberties with the material it had to work with regarding greg and tommy's relationship for the sake of narrative expediency, which bugged me. tommy comes out much worse in the book, and greg much better (no surprise since he wrote it).

that said, the movie was pretty fun and i enjoyed seeing these guys goof off at least
"My foremost duty is to the board," Important Dentist countered. "I
cannot afford to spend that much time researching human sexuality."
User avatar
important dentist
 
Posts: 15264
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 10:07 pm
Location: thos shitry ass countrt

Postby various artists » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:14 pm

Saw this in a cinema that regularly holds screenings of The Room and people were going pretty wild at my busy screening. I'm a more casual Room fan, but it didn't get too annoying. The 'I DIDN'T DO IT' scene was particularly riotous. I agree that it doesn't really add very much thoughtful to the legacy of the original, but yeah, it was well played and I laughed my ass off from beginning to end.
User avatar
various artists
 
Posts: 4710
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 7:13 pm
Location: mcr

Postby Wrong Titus » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:27 pm

pana wrote:


It's odd to see Franco kind of corralling Tommy into doing shtick and hitting rehearsed talking points. I know that's the game you have to play on the talk show circuit, but Franco must know it's kind of neutering.

Though I guess if let off the chain Wisseau would probably say something woefully problematic.
User avatar
Wrong Titus
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:41 pm

Postby shirts optional » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:04 am

this was great
User avatar
shirts optional
 
Posts: 5353
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:08 am
Location: district of columbia

Postby harperesque » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:00 pm

AsshatShart brings up some really legit points which bring down the greatness a bit but I cannot deny how hard I laughed throughout this movie and how much I legit enjoyed Franco as Tommy

I thought Dave was kind of miscast tho
I've got to say sorry for that.
User avatar
harperesque
 
Posts: 2188
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:23 pm
Location: paso inferior

Postby evan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:32 pm

The movie isn't good, but I think it's the most I've enjoyed James Franco in anything ever.
User avatar
evan
 
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:34 pm

Postby madness and chaos » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:32 am

liked it a bit more than I thought I would

7/10

I read the book on a lot of heroin back in the day, so i'm not 100% sure, but there was some scene in the book that tommy and mark fought in a car pulled over in beverly hills by the side of the road and really showed tommy's gay creepiness on him... I'm sure tommy wouldn't let a lot of the book be put in the movie tho. I was waiting for that scene the whole time
Roberto Bolaño's chair
User avatar
madness and chaos
 
Posts: 2191
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:20 pm
Location: jumbo's clown room

Postby mites » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:42 am

I’ve seen the room a bunch and enjoy it a lot. Enjoyed this too, but I am left yearning for something more about Tommy.

Ppl are v strange these days
User avatar
mites
 
Posts: 32111
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:41 pm
Location: Bmore

Postby gambra » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:44 am

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:liked most of this and laughed a lot, but that premiere scene (the laughing and hollering and cheering) was exaggerated in order to condense the post-release reaction and cult status right?

i could be wrong, i just assumed people were :? when it came out and it slowly turned into a cult comedy or whatever


Yeah the reaction they show in the movie is a complete fabrication. No one gave a fuck about the film when it was shown, a bunch of people walked out. It took at least a year for it to get picked up in any cult way.
THIS IMPACT WILL CONTROL ALL MARGINS

Scrumptious Justice 8-) wrote:man don't be mean to gambra
User avatar
gambra
 
Posts: 21163
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 9:31 am
Location: D12, Ireland

Postby fuckyoudad » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:02 am

madness and chaos wrote:liked it a bit more than I thought I would

7/10

I read the book on a lot of heroin back in the day, so i'm not 100% sure, but there was some scene in the book that tommy and mark fought in a car pulled over in beverly hills by the side of the road and really showed tommy's gay creepiness on him... I'm sure tommy wouldn't let a lot of the book be put in the movie tho. I was waiting for that scene the whole time


I just read the book and I don't remember this at all. There was a lot of worry from Greg's mom about Tommy's intentions and they kind of cover that at the beginning of the movie with the mom questioning Tommy
Note: mildly comedic.
User avatar
fuckyoudad
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:43 pm
Location: Seattle ish

Postby madness and chaos » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:13 am

fuckyoudad wrote:
madness and chaos wrote:liked it a bit more than I thought I would

7/10

I read the book on a lot of heroin back in the day, so i'm not 100% sure, but there was some scene in the book that tommy and mark fought in a car pulled over in beverly hills by the side of the road and really showed tommy's gay creepiness on him... I'm sure tommy wouldn't let a lot of the book be put in the movie tho. I was waiting for that scene the whole time


I just read the book and I don't remember this at all. There was a lot of worry from Greg's mom about Tommy's intentions and they kind of cover that at the beginning of the movie with the mom questioning Tommy


It seemed to me it was the biggest fight they had with resulted in the huge falling out. I didn't think it was in San Francisco as they played football. I thought there were numerous fights too. I swear I remember this. Could be wrong.
Roberto Bolaño's chair
User avatar
madness and chaos
 
Posts: 2191
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:20 pm
Location: jumbo's clown room

Postby inanimate object...alive! » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:41 am

evan wrote:The movie isn't good, but I think it's the most I've enjoyed James Franco in anything ever.


how can you say this in a world where spring breakers exists?
User avatar
inanimate object...alive!
 
Posts: 4273
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:01 pm

Postby fuckyoudad » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:52 am

madness and chaos wrote:
fuckyoudad wrote:
madness and chaos wrote:liked it a bit more than I thought I would

7/10

I read the book on a lot of heroin back in the day, so i'm not 100% sure, but there was some scene in the book that tommy and mark fought in a car pulled over in beverly hills by the side of the road and really showed tommy's gay creepiness on him... I'm sure tommy wouldn't let a lot of the book be put in the movie tho. I was waiting for that scene the whole time


I just read the book and I don't remember this at all. There was a lot of worry from Greg's mom about Tommy's intentions and they kind of cover that at the beginning of the movie with the mom questioning Tommy


It seemed to me it was the biggest fight they had with resulted in the huge falling out. I didn't think it was in San Francisco as they played football. I thought there were numerous fights too. I swear I remember this. Could be wrong.


Ohhh now I know the part you’re talking about, I just didn’t pick up on anything sexual going on there. Yeah they more or less supplanted that fight onto them playing football for the movie
Last edited by fuckyoudad on Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Note: mildly comedic.
User avatar
fuckyoudad
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:43 pm
Location: Seattle ish

Postby madness and chaos » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:55 am

fuckyoudad wrote:
madness and chaos wrote:
fuckyoudad wrote:
madness and chaos wrote:liked it a bit more than I thought I would

7/10

I read the book on a lot of heroin back in the day, so i'm not 100% sure, but there was some scene in the book that tommy and mark fought in a car pulled over in beverly hills by the side of the road and really showed tommy's gay creepiness on him... I'm sure tommy wouldn't let a lot of the book be put in the movie tho. I was waiting for that scene the whole time


I just read the book and I don't remember this at all. There was a lot of worry from Greg's mom about Tommy's intentions and they kind of cover that at the beginning of the movie with the mom questioning Tommy


It seemed to me it was the biggest fight they had with resulted in the huge falling out. I didn't think it was in San Francisco as they played football. I thought there were numerous fights too. I swear I remember this. Could be wrong.


Ohhh now I know the part you’re talking about, I just didn’t pick up on anything sexual going on there


that may be what I was confused about. I thought there was some big part where tommy was really creepy and it really showed but that may be my confused/drugged mind recollecting. I knew there was some car fight though that was pretty intense
Roberto Bolaño's chair
User avatar
madness and chaos
 
Posts: 2191
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:20 pm
Location: jumbo's clown room

Postby bongo » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:04 am

this was charming and fun

side by side montage at the end slayed
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
User avatar
bongo
man in hammock
 
Posts: 64665
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:32 pm
Location: motore immobile

Postby Kevin McCallister » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:33 am

It's the loudest I've ever heard Epic by Faith No More so I'm glad I saw this in theatres.
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.
User avatar
Kevin McCallister
 
Posts: 16111
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:46 pm
Location: the secret Father John Misty show

Postby gold and glass » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:48 pm

Kevin McCallister wrote:It's the loudest I've ever heard Epic by Faith No More so I'm glad I saw this in theatres.



yeah i screamed when it came on
fuck you and your corporation
User avatar
gold and glass
ok
 
Posts: 21357
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:14 pm
Location: york, pa

Postby gold and glass » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:49 pm

my girlfriend was like, "what is it?" and i got in her face like "WHAT. IS. IT."
fuck you and your corporation
User avatar
gold and glass
ok
 
Posts: 21357
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:14 pm
Location: york, pa

Postby tgk » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:50 pm

this was not very funny aside from the 25 minutes in the middle when they're actually making the movie.
User avatar
tgk
 
Posts: 24953
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:45 pm
Location: Chicago

Postby blurst of times » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:50 pm

so i listened to the audiobook of the disaster artist on my bus ride home for the holidays. highly recommend it! sestero's wiseau impression is convincing enough that i forgot it wasn't actually tommy at several points, and it had me howling on the bus by myself.

i saw the movie last week, and i enjoyed it and laughed a bunch, but i sort of agree with ashtrayheart about its lack of a stance on wiseau. i think it was probably a condition of him agreeing to sign over the rights to the movie that he be portrayed sympathetically. the book was a lot more clear-eyed about his flaws.

the part from the book i was most disappointed to see cut from the movie was when greg and tommy went to see the talented mr. ripley together (and which inspired him to write the room). it reminded me of that clip of trump talking about citizen kane, where he's self-aware enough to recognize himself on screen, but not enough to realize that that's not a good thing. basically, tommy will be pres.
User avatar
blurst of times
ride.
 
Posts: 8614
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:06 pm

Postby inspectorhound » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:14 am

Dave Franco is real bad at acting
User avatar
inspectorhound
 
Posts: 19957
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:36 pm

Postby Daft Pun » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:59 am

I couldn't get past the scene where they're drinking red bull. does it get better? so boring
"AIR"
User avatar
Daft Pun
i'm ill not sicc
 
Posts: 5532
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:05 am

Postby sleigh » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:25 am

inspectorhound wrote:Dave Franco is real bad at acting


yeah it would of course suck if you're an actor to have your life's story be made into a movie and they cast someone else to play you

but can you even imagine how fucking bad it'd suck if that someone is dave franco
so
User avatar
sleigh
ok
 
Posts: 31592
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:16 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 10cc, a new dad for all, Alexis, becky, blayk, blendercore, brentwurst, brittle, bro tones, building jumper, CelticFC#1, coop, dan, darger, def from above, Destroid, doormat, Double McDouble, draw, dreamshake, easy, Ferrous Bueller, fester, Flossed Out, Franco, Frank, Fullscreen, Gehrig Industries, goldsoundz, goofjan, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], grace cathedral park, Grey Poupon, haddonfield, Hal Jordan, hatertime, hoopdog, Hugh, important dentist, internethandle, jack, Jake SPEED, jalapeño ranch, Jerk., jon, Julius Sumner Miller, k_uger, light rail coyote, lordofdiapers, matt, mesic, Milk, milknight, Mr Squishy, NegativeCapability, OKterrific, palmer eldritch, Prof. Horatio Hufnagel, PublixUltimate, quinine, Rainbow Battle Kid, rex, rich uncle skeleton, sky cracks open, Smerdyakov, spix et chicho, subtitles, Tar Pit, techno beats, tex porneau, Thalidomide, The Fool on the Hill, theta, trigross, turquoise albino, viachicago, vivian darko, walt whitman, Warrenandstimpy, Weasel, WeirdJungle, xxx-xxx-xxxx, Your Turret Has Been Destroyed