The plebiscite has fucked w my autocorrect
bill
ok

Postby pana » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:15 pm

pana

Postby delgriffith » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:07 pm

delgriffith

Postby loaf angel » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:31 pm

I saw the 4dx thing when I paid for my ticket earlier.

the room nerds rival star wars fans apparently

I thought I was gonna be able to casually waltz in here after work and use my moviepass. went to take a piss and came out and the line for my screening had wrapped around the concession area.
goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron
loaf angel

Postby loaf angel » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:08 am

so this is really for the diehards. the more you're familiar with the movie and its production the funnier it is. it's not really a narrative film more like a bunch of comedians having fun goofing off and doing impressions. it's all about grafting and imagining real Tommy on to these BTS clips. it was fun and if you like The Room you won't regret going
loaf angel

Postby Classic Dog Avatar » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:13 am

that did not sell me
Classic Dog Avatar
ride.

Postby loaf angel » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:23 am

that wasn't a pitch, trust me. I softened up a third of the way through and just resigned to enjoy "Tommy" being weird in scenarios outside of the original film's context.

I won't spoil the end but that was probably the most fun and I'd rather just watch 2 hours of that
loaf angel

Postby loaf angel » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:31 am

oh I didn't see someguys post. yea the grinding out of Hollywood / villain / "we're in a movie now" stuff was superficial in terms of theme. look, no one is going into this for those things. it's hard to criticize a movie that exists purely as fan(non)fic to a devoted cult when it's clear the players jumped in as fans themselves
loaf angel

Postby fuckyoudad » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:42 am

I wish The Room still existed in a vacuum with no meta-analysis or context. But I'm still going to see this and probably enjoy it
Note: mildly comedic.
fuckyoudad

Postby loaf angel » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:22 am

fuckyoudad wrote:I wish The Room still existed in a vacuum with no meta-analysis or context. But I'm still going to see this and probably enjoy it

this is me before I went to see it. it didn't detract anything from the original.
loaf angel

Postby loaf angel » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:25 am

irony here is that the Room needs to be seen in a packed house theater I probably would have enjoyed this more at home
loaf angel

Postby easy » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:25 am

loaf angel wrote:irony here is that the Room needs to be seen in a packed house theater I probably would have enjoyed this more at home

yeah see this is what I did when I saw it a few years back and it was a bunch of unfunny men trying to out-funny one another by yelling bad misogynistic jokes
easy
does it

Postby easy » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:27 am

I'm sure the book is fine but if anyone tells me they're fans of The Room all I can hear is them saying they're fans of ethics in video games journalism
easy
does it

Postby aububs » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:58 am

the book is really good and The Room is great and I don't know what this

easy wrote:all I can hear is them saying they're fans of ethics in video games journalism

means
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby delgriffith » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:18 am

I remember you saying that before (that you'd seen it with a crowd where the vibe was very misogynistic) and now I'm trying to be honest with myself about all the times I enjoyed it with a crowd, but can you elaborate at all?

I'm not denying that there are obnoxious people who go to the screenings, often drunk, but I'm also trying to recall specifically misogynistic comments I've heard that weren't a sarcastic response to the misogyny of the film itself (I'm thinking of when Lisa's mother tells her she needs to marry Johnny even if she doesn't love him, because she can't afford to take care of herself, and the crowd yells out "Because you're a woman!" or something along those lines) Maybe I'm giving the average fan too much credit but that always seemed like a criticism of the film, not an endorsement. Oh and the other big one that comes to mind is when the audience would do an exaggerated horror movie reaction to a scene in which Lisa's neck bulges a few times while she's talking, and other general objectifying comments about her whenever she's naked. That kinda stuff sucks, absolutely. I'm sure at an average screening there's a lot of people yelling "bitch" and "slut" who are just straight up misogynists.

I also wanna be careful because I saw this film multiple times between the ages of 19 and 26 and I'm sure there's plenty of stuff I'm glossing over. I'm not pretending I got in on the ground floor or anything but the crowds definitely got worse over time. When I first went it was still playing in a great venue in New York and they had a live band set up to play along with the sex scenes and do stuff like playing the Mission Impossible theme when Johnny plants the tape recorder. There was still something new every time, and it didn't feel like it had reached full Rocky Horror status of everyone in the audience knowing every bit (except for SPOONS, which was basically exhausting after the first time). I was personally always a sucker for the absurd stuff ("It's 28!"), and I'm definitely overestimating the level of collective wit at play.

I can't lie though - the first few times I saw this were some of the funnest nights of my life. What does this mean of myself?
delgriffith

Postby aububs » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:24 am

it doesn't mean anything del

it's a really funny jawdroppingly bizarre movie/thing to have somehow occurred and not enjoying it for whatever reason is fine but also wrong imo

I've never seen it in a theatre with a crowd and at this stage I don't really care to but every time I've watched it with friends it's nothin but a good time
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby easy » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:37 am

aububs wrote:I've never seen it in a theatre with a crowd and at this stage I don't really care to but every time I've watched it with friends it's nothin but a good time

I guess I should've been clear that I was referring to like, the crowd participation ...crowd.

it's not really my thing but I can understand watching it with friends and yuckin it up. I get it.

I guess I just assumed there'd be a lot of crossover between the audience lining up to see this opening day and the audience of the Room screening I saw where it was like rocky horror but with everyone free-forming mean jokes
easy
does it

Postby easy » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:40 am

gamergate reference was just cause that experience made me think that this 'scene'—or, whatever, 'gathering of people'—was another boy's club kinda thing
easy
does it

Postby aububs » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:04 am

outside of your experience I don't really think it is

in my experience both men and women have a great time watching the room

BUT I have experienced the misogyny of movie crowds first hand many times. most recently while watching Face/Off if you can believe it. idiots will find any excuse to blurt out horrible things as their slackjawed friends egg them on. it's a pity they sometimes ruin the enjoyment of great movies for other people.
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby loaf angel » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:37 pm

easy wrote:gamergate reference was just cause that experience made me think that this 'scene'—or, whatever, 'gathering of people'—was another boy's club kinda thing

from the multiple screenings I've attended the gender lines seem pretty even
loaf angel

Postby easy » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:46 pm

this was in boston, fwiw
easy
does it

Postby Seamus » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:14 pm

being a little buzzed and seeing the room in a crowded theatre is one of the funnest things you can do imho
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby antoine » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:55 pm

I've only seen clips of The Room should I still see this
antoine

Postby joymonger » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:46 am

i liked this a lot. would recommend watching the room beforehand.

i've experience misogyny at the room screenings i've been to before, one way more than the other. it's too hard to sometimes hear the absurdity of the lines when you have a packed theater full of people reciting lines and being hams and yelling at the screen. i think watching with a few close friends, late night at night, smoking some weed is the way to go.

i thought going into it that franco's-wiseau-as-a-gag would get old quickly, but he gets a lot of mileage from being really good at it.
joymonger

Postby deadwolfbones » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:23 am

easy, have you considered that maybe people in Boston are just massholes?
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby Seamus » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:55 pm

This was really good!
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby marble » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:37 pm

thought this was great

wasn't 100% into the fanservice scenes (though they were fun!) and from memory there are a lot of inaccuracies if you compare it with the book, but the rest was top notch. honestly would kill for a 4 hour film of tommy and greg san fran/la pre the room. most enjoyable part of the film for me
marble

Postby Celiac Cruz » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:51 pm

i really enjoyed this movie. I got into the room around about 2007, and was very into all of the clips but never actually saw the full film until about a week before seeing the disaster artist. So i never got to see the misogyny of the crowds or the other ugly parts of the fandom; though i was at a packed screening with quite a long line, and for the ten to fifteen minutes that I was waiting i was finding the fans to be p unpleasant, especially when they were mocking tommy's loose grasp of english. that being said i got all the jokes, but wouldn't say i want to go to a screening.

disaster artist was good in that it actually had some emotion, it was funny and all my favorite comics were in it, and i didn't feel it was that cruel. I thought it was a really great time.
delgriffith wrote:Images aren't showing up, Celiac Cruz :( Looks like they're on a Dropbox and need to be hosted somewhere else (like imgur?)
Celiac Cruz

Postby easy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:30 am

this was fine I guess
easy
does it

Postby easy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:34 am

did you know that everything tommy wiseau ever said is hilarious??
easy
does it

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....