i couldnt find the LA thread

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby tarantula » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:41 am

rip paru's, and your himalayan yeti high abv 22 oz'ers i could order w/ vegetarian friends while enjoying a dosa

tarantula

Postby futurist » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:58 am

port wrote:
evan wrote:
futurist wrote:Paru's just closed too. :(

Seriously I think the first time in my life I've cried over a restaurant.

I've celebrated birthdays, made friends, gone on dates, the gd spectrum of life there. For 14 years!

My boyfriend lives close so we’ve gone several times. This is such a loss! It was Indian food unlike any I’ve ever had before. We almost ate there Christmas (Day or Eve, I forget) but were too late.

aww... it's a block from my place so i spent many a night there solo fillin up on amazing food and enjoying my own company. nothin else like it but i'm happy for em.

futurist

Postby Brouhaha » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:45 am

have any of you been to Hinterhof in highland park?

"Vegan German Kitchen and Beer Garden"
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby realcoolattitude » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:15 pm

I'm moving to Hancock Park/Windsor Square area in Central LA. It yall got any recommendations for restaurants and stuff to do, I'd love to hear 'em.

realcoolattitude

Postby Beaver King » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:02 pm

Moving to LA this summer. Working in Culver City. What are some good hoods nearby for families

Beaver King
ok

Postby son of chucky » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:40 am

spent last summer in palms, right on the edge of culver city. lots of families there, though i dont know anything about schools, etc.

i will be in town this sunday through wednesday, 3/31-4/3, to scope out neighborhoods for the fall. anything cool going on any of those nights?
I am going to buy more books about elderly dogs in the future. Thank you.

son of chucky

Postby nautical hyperblast » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:49 am

Brouhaha wrote:have any of you been to Hinterhof in highland park?

"Vegan German Kitchen and Beer Garden"

i went last weekend for their brunch - they use veganegg for the omelette and it was great. the schnitzel and waffles was good too (and came with a TON of schnitzel).

realcoolattitude wrote:I'm moving to Hancock Park/Windsor Square area in Central LA. It yall got any recommendations for restaurants and stuff to do, I'd love to hear 'em.

the east side has gotten real nice - echo park, silverlake, highland park, mt. washington, even south pasadena/pasadena, etc... and eagle rock apparently has a really good school system.

nautical hyperblast

Postby pzadvance » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:09 pm

Los Angeles Cinema Calendar - April 2019

*clockwise from top left: TO DIE LIKE A MAN (João Pedro Rodrigues, 2009), BEAU TRAVAIL (Claire Denis, 1999), SOY CUBA (Mikhail Kalatozov, 1964), TROPICAL MALADY (Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 2004)

April Highlights:

4/1 - 4/29: The New Beverly Cinema continues to program its most exciting films during the weekdays for some reason! This month, the comfortably unemployed or conveniently "sick" among us can enjoy a series of "Notable Films of 1999" each Monday at 2:00PM! Revisit one of the great years of American cinema with recent classics like THE MATRIX, MAGNOLIA, EYES WIDE SHUT, and more!

4/1 - 4/7: The 21st annual Noir City festival returns to the Egyptian Theatre this month, showcasing nightly double features of rare and classic noir cinema. Some highlights this year include TOUCH OF EVIL, ELEVATOR TO THE GALLOWS, I WANT TO LIVE!, and BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK.

4/1 - 4/7: In celebration of his newest film, PETERLOO, the Aero will be screening a few nights of Mike Leigh double features. The legendary English director will be at the theater for tonight's Peterloo screening, and you can catch his earlier greats like NAKED, LIFE IS SWEET, SECRETS & LIES, and more, throughout the weekend.

4/5 - 4/27: The Secret Movie Club continues its absolutely excellent programming at the Vista this month - in one weekend you can see two iconic queer films - MY OWN PRIVATE IDAHO and ALL ABOUT MY MOTHER and even a matinee of SEVEN SAMURAI. Later in the month, you can catch Hayao Miyazaki's NAUSICAA OF THE VALLEY OF THE WIND, Robert Altman's classic neo-noir THE LONG GOODBYE, another Kurosawa masterpiece THRONE OF BLOOD, and then Pam Grier in COFFY... all on 35mm!

4/11 - 4/14: The TCM Film Festival celebrates its tenth year showcasing classic cinema with big-name guests at big-ticket prices! If you can swallow the $20 per screening ticket fee or even pony up for a festival pass, there is a lot of great stuff to be seen this year. Highlights include Robert Altman's masterpiece NASHVILLE with a slew of amazing guests (Lily Tomlin! Jeff Goldblum! Screenwriter Joan Tewkesbury! And STILL MORE!), Anthony Mann's amazing WINCHESTER '73, a screening of ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK with John Carpenter and Kurt Russell in person, A WOMAN UNDER THE INFLUENCE with the legendary Gena Rowlands in person, and a handful of 35mm Nitrate film projections of underseen classic Hollywood cinema!

4/12: Catch a rare screening of Apichatpong Weerasethakul's beautiful TROPICAL MALADAY on 35mm at the Hammer thanks to the Outfest UCLA Legacy Project Screening Series.

4/12 - 4/14: The French auteur Claire Denis gets a long-overdue mini-retrospective this weekend at the Aero Theatre! Denis herself will be there to kick things off with a double feature of CHOCOLAT and WHITE MATERIAL (both on 35mm) on Friday, plus a screening of her masterpiece BEAU TRAVAIL Saturday afternoon, also on film. Deep divers will want to stick around Saturday and Sunday night for two more excellent double features!

4/14 - 4/21: SOY CUBA (I Am Cuba), the epic 1964 Russian-Cuban propaganda film directed by Mikhail Kalatozov, has rightfully received a 4K Restoration and it will screen for several nights at the Downtown Independent. If you haven't seen this film, it's an absolute must see - especially on the big screen.

4/15: One more must-see happening at the Downtown Independent this month is Performance and Death in Queer Portuguese Cinema: A Screening of João Pedro Rodrigues’ 2009 film TO DIE LIKE A MAN on 35mm - and thanks to USC sponsoring the event, Rodrigues will be there in person for a conversation after the film. Also... it's free! Claim your ticket now!

4/26: If you missed it during its initial run because of a bias against cartoons or superhero movies, The Montalban's Rooftop Movies series is giving you a second chance to catch SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE, one of the most visually exciting, form-expanding animated films in years, on the big screen -- the way it absolutely ought to be seen!

4/28: The Autry Museum of the American West continues its sparse but excellent monthly programming looking at the "Weird West" with a screening of 1969's THE VALLEY OF GWANGI, a Ray Harryhausen mash-up of cowboys and... stop-motion dinosaurs? Sign us the heck up.

PM me if you want to be added to the monthly mailing list!

pzadvance

Postby dubs » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:36 pm

I’m working a tech conference on the 11th at the Hilton at LAX. I’ll be staying there as well. I’m flying in evening of the 10th and leaving the afternoon of the 12th. Can anyone recommend cool stuff in the area or pick me up at the hotel and give me the guided tour of cool shit?

First time visiting LA and I’ve always wanted to visit and possibly live there someday.

dubs

Postby hologram » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:02 pm

mac demarco doing a 50 dollar show at the fucking echo is so lame

hologram
acid casualty

Postby internethandle » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:09 pm

yeah the indehs are on some shit lately apparently

boarder sectional was asking me if he should see real estate at soho in santa barbara but then he saw it was 55 before fees lol

internethandle
ok

Postby sleigh » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:54 pm

speaking of anyone wanna see young jesus there on the second? tix way less than 50. like 38 dollars less if my math is correct
REAL BASED SLOB wrote:after the javy home run WGN came back with an extended fan cam sequence soundtracked by meat puppets - up on the sun and i've just been doing bong rips and jamming meat puppets since
sleigh
ok

Postby saranclaps ultra mode 9000 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:59 pm

hologram wrote:mac demarco doing a 50 dollar show at the fucking echo is so lame
i haven't gone to a concert in years but is this normal? when i went to the echo tickets were like 5 bucks.
delgriffith wrote:Quick Google search reveals that I have no idea what I'm talking about.
saranclaps ultra mode 9000

Postby internethandle » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:05 am

no, not usually, but sometimes a bigger act will play the echo (instead of the echoplex) and they'll rack up the price for the intimacy or whatever. even then, 50 is pretty egregious. i saw cass mccombs there in 2015 or something and it was probably 25.

internethandle
ok

Postby futurist » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:12 am

lol that's ridiculous.

it seems like staffing at the echo is changing over. i think Live Nation owns the echo now? or perhaps they always have and i just heard of it?

futurist

Postby tonybricker » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:33 am

internethandle wrote:yeah the indehs are on some shit lately apparently

boarder sectional was asking me if he should see real estate at soho in santa barbara but then he saw it was 55 before fees lol

I have never seen a ticket that high there! I don't go to tons of shows there, but everything I have seen in the last year or so (Adrienne Lenker, Cass McCombs, Durand Jones, Ariel Pink) have been $20-$25

I do go to many shows at the Echo and $50 is ridiculous, never seen that happen there either

tonybricker

Postby ZONKER » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:36 am

Hey y'all, I live in (downtown) Long Beach again

Let's get fucked up and go to a punk show sometime, eh thread?

I get paid in 2 days :twisted:
Image Image Image Image Image
Shotfrog wrote:These horrible, despicable people make it so far in life, and last night I was eating kraft mac and cheese straight out of the pan with a wooden spoon.

ZONKER

Postby Brouhaha » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:43 am

i always forget alham and im usually there 3x a week for work

do you like Dolans Uyghur? someone recommend that to me.
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby branzino » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:30 pm

lol Netflix is gonna buy the Egyptian

branzino

Postby high bias » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:40 pm

variegated reality wrote:lol Netflix is gonna buy the Egyptian

this is a nightmare scenario

high bias

Postby Brouhaha » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:42 pm

adam sandler retrospective month
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby Brouhaha » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:46 pm

make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby branzino » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:29 pm

Yeah. It's so rare that they're playing anything interesting. They seem to shuffle through the same 30 movies from his library.

branzino

Postby branzino » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:30 pm

Maybe the Netflix money will allow the Egyptian to anthropomorphize and walk on outta Hollywood to somewhere that isn't a death wish.

branzino

Postby futurist » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:03 pm

Good Luck is closing down. being evicted for development.

futurist

Postby Bad Craziness » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:29 pm

y’all checked out In Sheep’s Clothing yet? it’s the fucking greatest

people don’t seem to respect the hi-fi bar etiquette at night, but if you go during the day there’s hardly anyone there and you can chill out and read and drink damn good coffee and listen to choice records on a god-tier sound system. pure bliss

Bad Craziness

Postby pablito » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:33 pm

hey pm me if you have a couch for my wonderful, somewhat chaotic friend who’s stranded in your town rn
*Offer temporarily suspended in light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Thank you for understanding

pablito

Location: chicago illinois, pm me for address, come fucking fight me*

Postby pablito » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:05 pm

it would b for up to 3 nites, they are great you will love em
*Offer temporarily suspended in light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Thank you for understanding

pablito

Postby pablito » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:24 pm

i feel like i could be doing a better job of selling this opportunity

pablito

Postby son of chucky » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:35 pm

hey all looking for house hunting tips. moving in the fall, renting a 1 bdrm. not sure where yet, but culver/palms, west hollywood, and fairfax/la brea -ish all seem like possibilities. beverly hills i guess but i can't imagine i'd like it there. i would much prefer to live on the east side but that won't be a good commute for me.

is west side rentals worth getting an account? iirc it's like 60 bucks or something. any other resources besides apt hunter/zillow/CL?
I am going to buy more books about elderly dogs in the future. Thank you.

son of chucky

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley