toop

whammy
make it mild
Brouhaha

Postby madness and chaos » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:04 am

evan wrote:
madness and chaos wrote:
evan wrote:
madness and chaos wrote:I live on Cahangua/101 and Barham fools, been walking around aimlessly all night and ate some good falafel

I'm 101/Cahuenga exit. We're practically neighbors.

Oh, wow! I haven't seen you post in a minute.

I never really went away. I just don't have as much time in my old age. Would I know you as someone else or are you "madness and chaos"?

Nope, this is my first screen name here. I lurked forever and remember your posts. Been around posting for about 15 months. I remember you worked in the biz? I believe and you seemed super interesting! Remember your posts from way before I ever came to L.A. or even knew I would end up here.
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby fury » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:10 am

But for real. Is anything cool around the nova theater? Where should we eat breakfast?
fury
ok

Postby evan » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:13 am

madness and chaos wrote:
evan wrote:
madness and chaos wrote:
evan wrote:
madness and chaos wrote:I live on Cahangua/101 and Barham fools, been walking around aimlessly all night and ate some good falafel

Oh, wow! I haven't seen you post in a minute.

I never really went away. I just don't have as much time in my old age. Would I know you as someone else or are you "madness and chaos"?

Nope, this is my first screen name here. I lurked forever and remember your posts. Been around posting for about 15 months. I remember you worked in the biz? I believe and you seemed super interesting! Remember your posts from way before I ever came to L.A. or even knew I would end up here.

That's a sweet thing to say. Do you work in ent. too? I work in TV. I've lived in the Pass for 12+ years. I think I've lived in LA for 14.
evan

Postby madness and chaos » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:18 am

I don't. I'm just trying to find my way right now... I lived here for 3 years and had a break-up and left to San Diego for a little while. Just got back a few weeks ago.
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby Coca Cola » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:25 pm

Hey I used to live on barham, at oakwood. Everyone loved there at some point, wouldn’t mind living there now if I could afford it, I like that area a lot. I’m clean now but my favorite drug dealer lives right there lol, old gay dude with like 3 sweet old hounds
Coca Cola

Postby joe » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:55 pm

dễ dàng wrote:CHẾT TIỆT
joe

Postby madness and chaos » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:43 pm

Coca Cola wrote:Hey I used to live on barham, at oakwood. Everyone loved there at some point, wouldn’t mind living there now if I could afford it, I like that area a lot. I’m clean now but my favorite drug dealer lives right there lol, old gay dude with like 3 sweet old hounds

I wonder if I see him on Grindr. I need a plug and that's the easiest way ever to find one
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby futurist » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:01 pm

what hood u in now, Coca Cola?
futurist

Postby pzadvance » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:42 pm

LA Cinema Calendar - November 2018

November Highlights:

11/1 - 11/11: Highland Park has recently welcomed a new arthouse cinema & project space: the NOW INSTANT IMAGE HALL at 5319 York Blvd. Their November program has only been laid out for the first couple weeks at the time of this email, but their regular screenings already showcase their exciting and eclectic programming: a series on the films of Shirley Clark (including one of her most loved, PORTRAIT OF JASON), and a screening of the excellent 1961 neorealist portrait of young Native Americans in the Bunker Hill district of La, THE EXILES.

11/2: MADADAYO, master filmmaker Akira Kurosawa's final film, screens at the Norton Simon Museum at 5:30PM.

11/2 - 11/3: The Los Angeles Theatre Company in DTLA will host a two-day Dia de los Muertos Mexican Film Festival, with an exciting little collection of well-loved films like COCO and CRONOS, and rarely screened films from the 1960s like MACARIO and THE CURSE OF THE CRYING WOMAN!

11/4 - 11/7: Il Cinema Ritrovato, the major film restoration festival organized by the Cineteca di Bologna, is bringing some recently restored gems to the the Loyola Marymount University campus. Free screenings include new DCPs of SUSPIRIA (1977), IN A LONELY PLACE, CITY LIGHTS, and THE TREE OF WOODEN CLOGS.

11/5 - 11/19: As part of their China Onscreen Biennial series, the UCLA Film & TV Archive is hosting renowned Chinese filmmaker Jia Zhangke for a mini-retrospective of his work to date. Zhangke will be present for most of the series, which culminates in a screening of his most recent film, ASH IS PUREST WHITE. Best to show up early for these to make sure you can get a seat.

11/7: The Egyptian Theatre regularly hosts live recordings of comedian Greg Proops' podcast, "Greg Proops Film Club," accompanied by 35mm prints of the classic film he's chosen to discuss. This month he's showing what might be my favorite movie... ever, a film that contains more than one of the few genuinely perfect scenes in cinema history: THE THIRD MAN. Not to be missed.

11/8 - 11/15: It's time again for AFI FEST to blow into town and grace us all with free tickets to a selection of the most exciting festival films of the year, finally giving us a good reason to brave the Hollywood & Highland intersection. We can't include every movie on our calendar (until we hire an intern), but we listed a fair number of (admittedly subjective) highlights that we'd consider worth checking out, among them the latest from international luminaries Alfonso Cuarón, Hirokazo Kore-eda, Hong Sang Soo, Yorgos Lanthimos, Yann Gonzalez and many others, plus a restoration of Chantal Akerman's MEETINGS OF ANNA, and a recently uncovered 1990 "feminist interpretation of the Brothers Grimm" starring a 20-year-old Björk, THE JUNIPER TREE.  

11/9 - 12/15: The UCLA Film and Television Archives presents BARBARA HAMMER, SUPERDYKE, showing five programs of short form work by lesbian feminist filmmaker Barbara Hammer that span decades from 1968 to 2018. Her debut feature NITRATE KISSES will also be screening at the Egyptian Theater for AFI FEST on 11/11.

11/17: We've yet to check out any of the rooftop screenings that seem to be all the rage these days, but that might change this month, as Neue House is hosting a triple feature outdoor screening of Richard Linklater's BEFORE TRILOGY. Provided it's dark enough to see the screen (ironically, they're starting BEFORE SUNRISE before sunset), this sounds like a really unique experience that you might only find in LA.

11/19: The incredibly reliable Acropolis Cinema screening series is teaming up with the equally trustworthy La Collectionneuse for the Los Angeles premiere of LEVIATHAN directors Véréna Paravel and Lucien Castaing-Taylor's latest, CANIBA - about a Japanese man who ate his classmate, was declared insane, and has since been making a living off of his crime in bizarre and macabre ways. 

11/29: Karina Longworth, film critic and host of the fantastic podcast "You Must Remember This," is presenting a screening at LACMA of Max Ophüls' 1949 film noir, CAUGHT.

PM me if you want me to add your email to the monthly mailing list!
pzadvance

Postby animefilm » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:19 pm

NOW INSTANT IMAGE HALL seems rad
animefilm

Postby saranclaps » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:52 am

ehh
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening
saranclaps

Postby mothlight » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:23 am

Directors Cut of The House that Jack Built (new Lars von Trier) is playing at a few theaters on Nov 28th: https://www.laemmle.com/films/45090

I'll be going to the Glendale one!
mothlight

Postby high bias » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:47 am

animefilm wrote:NOW INSTANT IMAGE HALL seems rad

yeah really pumped to have this in hp. their calendar looks great
high bias

Postby clwon » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:19 pm

everyone vote yes on 10 and B tomorrow please

also don't vote for Gavin Newsom and especially do not vote for Dianne Feinstein

thank you
aka piss chalet aka Mercedes Benzo
clwon
business is very food

Postby clwon » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:20 pm

Brouhaha wrote:I'm at Triple Beam in HP, hadn't been here in a few months. They opened a couple spots in the square. Some coffeeshop that's closed atm and Hippo, which looks really crowded, anyone try it?

went to Hippo last weekend with my parents (mom made a reservation after reading a review)

limited menu w/tiny portions, high prices, all white people -- that's a gentrified restaurant all right
clwon
business is very food

Postby clwon » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:29 pm

evan wrote:

guessing this was joes felafel?
clwon
business is very food

Postby madness and chaos » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:31 pm

clwon wrote:
evan wrote:

it was. I've heard a lot of people say it's a bad place now after the fact, but I enjoyed it.
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby madness and chaos » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:32 pm

Damn. Now I really want to go there. So broke though, gonna eat sweet potatoes and quinoa.
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby Brouhaha » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:34 pm

clwon wrote:
Brouhaha wrote:I'm at Triple Beam in HP, hadn't been here in a few months. They opened a couple spots in the square. Some coffeeshop that's closed atm and Hippo, which looks really crowded, anyone try it?

went to Hippo last weekend with my parents (mom made a reservation after reading a review)

limited menu w/tiny portions, high prices, all white people -- that's a gentrified restaurant all right

But was it good? Didn't see any veg mains, just starters. Prices seemed fairly standard
make it mild
Brouhaha

Postby clwon » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:00 pm

madness and chaos wrote:
clwon wrote:
evan wrote:

it was. I've heard a lot of people say it's a bad place now after the fact, but I enjoyed it.

used to drive there from West Hollywood, it was the best falafel I found in the city. I can’t believe anybody would say anything negative about it - fuck anyone who does that.
clwon
business is very food

Postby clwon » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:01 pm

Brouhaha wrote:
clwon wrote:

But was it good? Didn't see any veg mains, just starters. Prices seemed fairly standard

Yeah, I have to say the duck ragu was out of control good and as someone with dietary restrictions, they were very understanding and willing to change recipes slightly to accommodate

it seems like the kitchen staff was largely comprised of recent graduates from some culinary Institute. It was a mix of white/POC and they were all in their late twenties/early 30s. Interestingly, none of them used gloves in the kitchen, I couldn’t help but think about Jon Taffer…
clwon
business is very food

Postby madness and chaos » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:20 pm

clwon wrote:
madness and chaos wrote:
clwon wrote:
evan wrote:

used to drive there from West Hollywood, it was the best falafel I found in the city. I can’t believe anybody would say anything negative about it - fuck anyone who does that.

it was the shittiest, richest (maybe, probably) Trump supporter (and gay. btw) SO FUCK HIM!
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby futurist » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:53 pm

have had a car today for once. turns out im pretty good w directions now, been cruising around aimlessly for a while
futurist

Postby shizaam » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:55 pm

visited a few weeks ago and ended up at https://www.yelp.com/biz/ruen-pair-los-angeles
glorious
shizaam

Postby futurist » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:43 pm

why are there two permanent records across the street from eachother lol

great selections tho kind of pricey
futurist

Postby Brouhaha » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:05 pm

:lol:

I never did figure that out, should've asked them
make it mild
Brouhaha

Postby futurist » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:45 pm

they are laid out identically too, same size and everything. otherwise i would've assumed maybe they were just waiting for a lease to run out?
futurist

Postby Brouhaha » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:52 pm

Yeah, I said the same in this very thread a few pages ago

Maybe one is run by the korean mafia to run a drug business in
make it mild
Brouhaha

Postby high bias » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:26 pm

futurist wrote:why are there two permanent records across the street from eachother lol

great selections tho kind of pricey

i heard that they bought some huge collection or something like that and opened the smaller store to accommodate it. i think they're going to wind that location down once they sell off the majority of the stock. that's what a friend told me anyway
high bias

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....