Guitar playing/gear thread

Ive found in time the search on this forum was shit but if you google whatever keywords with the word hipinion, you get what you're looking for most of the time. I mean even when they keywords aren't exact.

Postby Brevity » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:49 am

Anyway, I'm excited to have everything where I want it, and this is the guitar playing/gear thread after all so it should be a safe place to discuss it. Your condescension isn't necessary.
Brevity

Postby ahungbunny » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:18 am

you're right, sorry about that
ahungbunny

Postby Grey Poupon » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:25 pm

sorry ahungbunny you need to sell all your guitars now

thread rules
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
Grey Poupon

Postby pantsoclock » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:22 pm

please sell me your music man ahungbunny since, as I wrote, mine is on the fritz.
I pay tax to help pay for things like police..fire..parks..but it goes to Ferguson like people and foreigners who are scamming our stupid government that is full of pasta thieves like this guy
pantsoclock

Postby snuggle » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:30 pm

I’ve got a big muff pi with tone wicker on the way and am very excited. Curious to see how it compares to the Dunlop fuzz face I’ve been jamming with.

Slowly accumulating pedals, I have mostly Boss. Loop station, digital reverb rv5, phase shifter, delay, compressor, volume pedal, wah.

I want some boutique pedals like strymon blue sky but can’t spring for them at the moment

Play out of a vox amp with tremolo

I plan on building my own pedal board from wood boards some time soon.
snuggle

Postby No Not Now » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:59 pm

oh damn, Telemaster :ahuh:
bongo wrote:anyone else wake up today and immediately scream into a banjo
No Not Now

Postby Eugenics » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:34 am

Here's a nice shot of my pretty basic stereo rig. As you can see (and hear in a lot of my songs) the effects are just for simple to complex ambience, low droning sound bedding and some fuzz washed sweeping high tonal atmospherics. i barely actually play the guitar anymore, i just strike a few single notes and chords for tonal background noise.
Eugenics

Postby No Not Now » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:00 am

Once I went stereo I never went back. Even tho my second amp is just a tiny little Fender Bullet 15 it adds a nice little extra clarity and plays nice with stereo effects. I should have never sold my Ampeg 115HP before a move. :cry:

Is that a Pig Hog cable Eug? I like their style and have a sea foam green one that looks great on all my off white guitars and my natural pbass.

I want an avalanch run so badly.
No Not Now

Postby Eugenics » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:12 am

oh yeah, shit, what's not pictured is the moog expression pedal for the avalanche run, for dem sweet sweeping swells.
and yeah thats a pig hog cable - creamsicle colorway - matches my 2 main guitars well :)
Eugenics

Postby ahungbunny » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:10 am

Grey Poupon wrote:sorry ahungbunny you need to sell all your guitars now

thread rules

well, i only have one guitar so it won't take long. three basses though

speaking of, anyone have a recommendation for a ~$500 guitar that's good for both post punk and playing really fast? been looking for an 80s charvel for a while now to no avail
ahungbunny

Postby Eugenics » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:21 am

this is 599
Eugenics

Postby Eugenics » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:29 am

for real though, one of the best guitars i ever owned was a peavey t-60. and i think it fits exactly what you're looking for in a geetar. post-punk looks, can do everything from thin sounding angular upstrokes to thick and full power chords and its got a fast buttery neck with excellent fret spacing.
Eugenics

Postby Grey Poupon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:05 am

ooh that red one is sick like Lou Reed or dudes from Television would have it and I like the way it's curves have a bit of extra junk in the trunk :ahuh:
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
Grey Poupon

Postby brittle » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:23 am

ahungbunny wrote:

thread rules

speaking of, anyone have a recommendation for a ~$500 guitar that's good for both post punk and playing really fast? been looking for an 80s charvel for a while now to no avail

Somebody just put one up on the Denver Music Gear Swap.

Last edited by brittle on Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brittle

Postby ahungbunny » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:39 am

Eugenics wrote:for real though, one of the best guitars i ever owned was a peavey t-60. and i think it fits exactly what you're looking for in a geetar. post-punk looks, can do everything from thin sounding angular upstrokes to thick and full power chords and its got a fast buttery neck with excellent fret spacing.

i have the t-40 bass and yeah, i should just scoop one of these next time i see it. is it super heavy like the t-40? i hope not
ahungbunny

Postby brittle » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:48 am

i've got a friend who has one. he says it's as heavy as his les paul.
brittle

Postby GonzO))) » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:53 am

ahungbunny wrote:

thread rules

T-60 is a good one, yeah.

I'd suggest an MIJ Mustang too. Great deals to be had.
GonzO)))

Postby odilonredon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:17 am

goddamn i want one of these national val pro's so bad. probably the coolest looking guitar there is
Last edited by odilonredon on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
E|---------------------|
B|---------------------|
G|-2-2-2-0^(0)-2^3^2-0
D|---------------------|
A|---------------------|
E|---------------------|
odilonredon

Postby brittle » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:17 am

i guess i haven't done one of these since i last switched things up...

also on the stereo bandwagon-- only i don't have room to put them side by side. anyways (as i've probably mentioned a dozen times by now) they both have pretty different tones, so stereo might sound weird. the Randall is a JC 120 knockoff. i run it clean with a little bit of flange and the Jr. is overdriven with a tiny bit of trem and dirt from the Rat. love being able to bang out a chord and hear the low strings distort while the high strings sing out nice and clear. then for solos and riffy parts, i engage the delay just for a nice, wet slapback from the randall.

also recently started keeping my od and dist pedals on all the time and using my guitar volume when i want to clean up my tone.
Last edited by brittle on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
brittle

Postby odilonredon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:27 am

right now my rig is a mim 50th anniversery sunburst strat through a jc 120. guitar is nothing to write home about but it's fine for my purposes and i'm most comfortable playing strats.

pedals wise i'm doing a memory man with hazarai, boss dc-3, pro co rat, boss ds 1 and when i feel like wrangling with it i fuck around with the yamaha spx90 i bought to rip those kevin shields tones
E|---------------------|
B|---------------------|
G|-2-2-2-0^(0)-2^3^2-0
D|---------------------|
A|---------------------|
E|---------------------|
odilonredon

Postby brittle » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:37 am

yeah but, pictures?
brittle

Postby Slay Da Pink Fleshy Beast » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:38 am

CIJ Fender Jaguar ->EHX Germ4 - Diamond Compressor - Empress ParaEq - EHX Memory Man w/Hazarai - EHX Cathedral - TC Electronics Ditto Looper - Fender Twin Reverb Reissue

I normally rotate between the EHX Germ4, EHX Soulfood, and a EQD Grey Channel depending on what I'm playing.
I'm thinking of changing my out the pickups in my Jaguar to lipsticks and doing the whole Johnny Marr Jaguar system.
Slay Da Pink Fleshy Beast

Postby No Not Now » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:09 am

This is my setup
I need a few more right angle cables to get rid of some of the jank cable management but w/e

That Jaguar looks really nice Slay. I like the matching headstock.
No Not Now

Postby tarantula » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:36 am

as i've moved recently and got shit out of storage, i was reunited with my fender music master II

it's a small scale guitar, built for students

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Musicmaster

realized how much easier it is for me to play this thing...like i can fret the entire neck and dexterously slide around

remember this interview w/ the ccr guy wherein he stated he always played small scale guitars cause it was easier to get around

tarantula

Postby kit fox » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:50 am

No Not Now wrote:

damn them. i have a telemaster/jazzcaster from a boutique builder and now they're just gonna pump em out?? gdi

it does fucking rule though so i cant begrudge them too much
kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby Slay Da Pink Fleshy Beast » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:07 am

No Not Now wrote:This is my setup
I need a few more right angle cables to get rid of some of the jank cable management but w/e

That Jaguar looks really nice Slay. I like the matching headstock.

Thanks man. Love your bass. I really want a P-bass with a maple fretboard.

Postby Slay Da Pink Fleshy Beast » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:35 am

kit fox wrote:
No Not Now wrote:

damn them. i have a telemaster/jazzcaster from a boutique builder and now they're just gonna pump em out?? gdi

it does fucking rule though so i cant begrudge them too much

For what its worth these are only a limited run.

Postby kit fox » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:38 am

its okay im not actually possessive over my guitar’s style
kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby tarantula » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:48 am

tarantula wrote:as i've moved recently and got shit out of storage, i was reunited with my fender music master II

Certain models of the Musicmaster, especially from between 1978 and 1980, were finished with a coat that reacted negatively with the base coat. This causes many modern surviving Musicmasters from this period to suffer from paint flaking off the body.

https://imgur.com/a/YPMZR

pretty sure my music master is circa 1970-1980
tarantula

Postby bro tones » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:39 pm

no not now, tell me about the infinity looper. specifically the midi. i've been waiting to get it so that if i'm playing with clips i made in ableton, i don't go out of sync with my guitar loops. does it do this well?
antoine wrote:i got doofed by a sunoco freezerito
bro tones

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All