Guitar playing/gear thread

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby brittle » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:50 am

sorry if that's a little too first day of class. i know that's the first thing a lot of guitarists ever learn.

just that i personally never even considered that i should make a point to learn it until i'd been playing for like 15 years, and i think that's probably pretty common for a lot people who came up liking and playing 'weirder' music.

brittle

Postby brittle » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:25 am

brittle wrote:yeah, once you figure out the concept, the actual playing is fairly easy.

you basically just need to know what key your riffs are in, and where those notes land depending on around the chord you're fingering is in.

looks like he's doing his licks in Em, so just know where those notes lie in relation to the D A and E barre chords as you play them.

or more properly, if he's playing a D or A chords, he wants to use position 3, when he's hanging out on the E chord, he's adding notes from the 4th position and when he really wants to wail, he goes up to 1st position on the 12th fret, because that's the fastest and most familiar for most people.

also, at the risk of eliciting more eyerolls, just another thing that took me like 15 years to don don. you don't necessarily have to memorize each figure, once you realize that the notes in the up-neck frets of position 1 are down-neck notes of position 2, and so on. they click together like good tetris pieces.

brittle

Postby brittle » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:37 am

....a few other cheats that i used before i realized there was a chart to learn:
position 2 is a major scale with all the half steps left out

and position 4 is position 1 starting on the A string instead of the E string.

but yeah, tl;dr you can pick any 3 or 4 go-to notes to goose depending on whatever fret the chord you're fingering is in. don't be defeated if you find yourself doing the same patterns over and over again, song after song. everybody does that. that's what gives you "your style"

brittle

Postby kit fox » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:10 pm

just whale around on some hammer ons and throw some bends in

looks like he's playin an Em7 on the 7th fret of the A with a hammer on on the 10th fret on the b string. he seems to be mostly following the vocal rhythm/melody and then for one of the main licks he slides up two frets with his middle finger (from the 9th fret on the D string in the Em7) and does a basic pentatonic with a bend thrown in for flair. once you get used to doing this you'll come up with your own things that sound cool and playing them will be more natural than trying to copy exactly what's being done by someone else. I also love playing an E at the 7th fret on the A string and letting the open E ring out to give it some fullness.

in terms of coming up with your own stuff, personally I can visualize it more easily in terms of G chord shapes laid out up and down the fretboard, which is basically a variation on what position 1 is up there. if you play a G chord, hammering on those spots on the middle strings is a fun way to add some interesting stuff to the chord. so if you're doing power chords on the A string you just look at whatever fret on the low E corresponds to the chord being played (maybe obvious but it will be 5 frets up from the note you're playing and down a string). so for the E in that example its the 12th fret, so when he slides up to 11 he's playing within this box, any notes here are fair game for the lick:

this is the mental shortcut I use, maybe it'll help someone. i've never been able to internalize the positions really. and like gibson rickenbacker said, finding people doing covers of songs you're interested in is a great way to kickstart this process. even though sometimes I get really mad when I'm struggling with a song and find a video of some god damn teen just annihilating it.

kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby Gibson Rickenbacker » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:43 pm

brittle wrote:also, at the risk of eliciting more eyerolls, just another thing that took me like 15 years to don don. you don't necessarily have to memorize each figure, once you realize that the notes in the up-neck frets of position 1 are down-neck notes of position 2, and so on. they click together like good tetris pieces.

Also, memorising the chords in different shapes (eg: D shape on frets xx0787 is G etc) helps in this regard as well.

Gibson Rickenbacker

Postby Gibson Rickenbacker » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:39 pm

kit fox wrote: like gibson rickenbacker said, finding people doing covers of songs you're interested in is a great way to kickstart this process. even though sometimes I get really mad when I'm struggling with a song and find a video of some god damn teen just annihilating it.

Yep there's that caveat. Also if they've recorded it 10 years ago in say 240p or something you can't make sense of. Recently I found one I couldn't make it through becuase the guys fingernails were fucking disgusting.

Gibson Rickenbacker

Postby Swelling Itching Brain » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:08 am

thanks brittle :) :)

some of it that I know but it is nice to do a refresher because it gives me a kinda 'ok let's focus and practise [xxxxxx]' when I'm sorta feeling lost
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH

Swelling Itching Brain

Postby Gibson Rickenbacker » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:41 pm

Grey Poupon wrote:thanks brittle :) :)

some of it that I know but it is nice to do a refresher because it gives me a kinda 'ok let's focus and practise [xxxxxx]' when I'm sorta feeling lost

Probably should have asked earlier, how long have you been playing for?

Gibson Rickenbacker

Postby jewels » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:42 am

I cleaned my wah, and while it crackles way less than it used to, I think I cleaned off whatever grease was supposed to be there make the wah rock smoothly. Any idea what that material was that I should put back on the rocking gear?
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?

jewels

Postby DasLofGang » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:49 am

lithium grease, you can get it in a little tub at any hardware store
Yes, sir, I've become a real "Net-Head!" I don't know how I communicated before I got online!

DasLofGang

Postby jewels » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:52 am

DasLofGang wrote:lithium grease, you can get it in a little tub at any hardware store

awesome, thanks!
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?

jewels

Postby Slay Da Pink Fleshy Beast » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:29 pm

Not sure if I'd buy it. But i'm pretty excited they've reissued it.

Slay Da Pink Fleshy Beast

Postby bro tones » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:11 pm

ugh i know. the tenor tele is also very sick.

bro tones

Postby granger » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:33 pm

i think I may have unknowingly bought Katie crutchfield’s guitar today

Good for me

granger

Postby Grumby » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:16 am

i love playing rhythm lately (and trying out tricky time patterns), this is probably spurned by having a family of drummers and i play guitar instead. really bored of my amp though. god i wish i had two thousand dollars right now.

Grumby

Postby Cone » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:58 pm

I’ve really been wanting to splurge on some new gear lately but it’s literally the last thing I should be spending money on right now.

I definitely want to sell my solid state amp and upgrade to some actual tubes and also been thinking about selling my duo sonic and some pedals and just getting a good ol used strat

Cone

Postby Cone » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:03 pm

I can’t stop watching those Mark Agnesi Guitar of the Day vids on YouTube and it’s making me bummed out that I’ll probably never in my life have enough money to blow on buying a true vintage Fender guitar from the 60s

Cone

Postby Grumby » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:08 pm

Cone wrote:I’ve really been wanting to splurge on some new gear lately but it’s literally the last thing I should be spending money on right now.

yeah, i'm totally a broke guy, but it sucks because i wanna get some new ideas together and i just don't have any money lol.

Grumby

Postby Swelling Itching Brain » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:44 am

I've been practicing the don't fear the reaper riff lately and it's a really easy riff but actually pretty tricky to play because I only get the notes on the fat strings to ring true half the time

I mean that's why I'm practicing
but I just wanted to post instead of practicing
so here I am!
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH

Swelling Itching Brain

Postby Cone » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:50 am

I just impulse bought a 1992 Mexican Tele for $300 because I just couldn’t pass up on that deal.

Cone

Postby Brevity » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:24 pm

I finally set up a pedal board
Last edited by Brevity on Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brevity

Postby brittle » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:30 pm

that don't fear the reaper riff is WAAAAY too hard for how chill it sounds.

brittle

Postby brittle » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:31 pm

i thought i'd sit down and learn it 3 or 4 times only to be like, "fuuuuuck this" like 30 seconds later.

brittle

Postby bro tones » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:01 pm

Brevity wrote:Image

mmmmmmmm. loving the tele.

i'm guessing your pedal board chain goes top right to left and then bottom right to left?

bro tones

Postby Cone » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:23 pm

V jealous of that analogman

Cone

Postby Brevity » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:43 am

bro tones wrote:
Brevity wrote:

mmmmmmmm. loving the tele.

i'm guessing your pedal board chain goes top right to left and then bottom right to left?

Yeah! tuner-> envelope filter -> microsynth -> compressor -> KOT -> fuzz -> chorus -> delay -> reverb

Brevity

Postby Brevity » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:45 am

Cone wrote:V jealous of that analogman

It's amazing, definitely the best pedal I own and the core of the sound. I feel like I could get by without most anything if I have to, as long as I have that KOT. Got it before prices went crazy for resale too, thank god.

Brevity

Postby odilon redon » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:23 am

i'm probably biased because it's really similar to mine but i like emily kokal from warpaint's setup:

odilon redon

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:58 pm

i feel like i've probably asked in here but, what are ppl's thoughts on the Deluxe Reverb compared to the Twin?

I have a twin but it's so HEAVY and cumbersome, and I rarely play out these days so it seems like a Deluxe would be better at getting decent tones at reasonable volume?
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby John Dark » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:00 pm

Finally went and got my dumb, malfunctioning guitar fixed and they replaced the jack and repaired the top strap button did a proper pro set-up which i had never had done before and all the problems are gone and why the hell didn't I do this like a year ago?
shanked by the Devil

John Dark

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley