Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby pantsoclock » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:03 pm

as the owner and regular player of a t-60 I don't know if I'd define it as a fast guitar, but I've never really spent much time with an ibanez shredding machine or anything.
There's a whole world of short-scale Peavey T series guitars out there as well that are super playable if anyone is looking for an older short scale. I have a t-15:
I pay tax to help pay for things like police..fire..parks..but it goes to Ferguson like people and foreigners who are scamming our stupid government that is full of pasta thieves like this guy
pantsoclock

Postby No Not Now » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:31 pm

brothertony wrote:no not now, tell me about the infinity looper. specifically the midi. i've been waiting to get it so that if i'm playing with clips i made in ableton, i don't go out of sync with my guitar loops. does it do this well?

I sought out the Infinity Looper for this very reason. I wanted a hardware looper that would sync to ableton's clock and spent quite a while doing research. I was looking at the Dittox4 or higher end EHX loopers when looking for one that slaves to the midi clock produced by ableton. I went with the Infinity because it has 50 programmable banks that you can save loops (and a ton of other settings) to, midi sync, and nifty loop multipliers like you would find on an Echoplex or the Mobius software looper. When the Infinity is listening to the master clock it will shift currently playing loops on the fly. Loops kinda drift up or down to the desired tempo as the loop continues to cycle which creates a warping sound. They dont maintain pitch unless you are doing double/half changes to set intervals etc. This isnt really much of a problem if you are working with a set tempo. When the tempo is set in Ableton the Infinity will quantize the loop length to the time signature specified for the current preset. Here is an example of the settings you can tweak for each preset:

tbh this is about as far as I have gotten with pairing the Infinity with Ableton. You might have noticed that I'm using a DOD mini mixer at the start of my effects chain. It gives me 4 inputs into 1 signal so that I can run a bass, synth, guitars and whatever else through the looper and out into Ableton. But this was really only a cheap workaround for the creativity hampering problem of having to swap cables constantly as there is a bottleneck at my audio interface. My Focusrite Scarlett is limited to 2 ins. Workflow would be far simplified by upgrading to something with many more ins so I can swap instruments and hit record to add something to the mix. Ideally my plan is to upgrade when I've got the extra cash but I dont have an extra $500 right now. Rn I just roll down volumes on the instrument when swapping but the signal does get pretty noisy.

When I do upgrade, I have a FCB1010 (would love a KMI Softstep) that Im going to program with WabbitWanch iFCB to expand the controls on the Infinity as well as Ableton. As it stands tho I primarily just run everything through the chain and out to an amp. The Infinity makes it so easy to save your loops and all you have to do is plug it into your computer to access the wav files.

Just playing through an amp with this thing is super fun and intuitive. Looping is a big part of how I enjoy making music and I can't really find any faults. I've played with a lot of loopers (the bottom half of my pedalboard can be 3 if I want :P ) and the Infinity is everything I've ever wanted. I absolutely adore creating a short pulse or drone on the DD7 hold function, multiplying that as a base layer on the first Infinity clip and then expanding from there with the second clip and a cleared DD7 loop.

Dream of expanding this setup to be as noodly as this hahah:
bongo wrote:anyone else wake up today and immediately scream into a banjo
No Not Now

Postby bro tones » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:45 pm

thank you for the thoughtful post!
benj wrote:rest in peace luggii dead ass
bro tones

Postby snuggle » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:39 am

I wanted to buy an old Tascam cassette Porta studio like I used to own to make analog loops and experiment with. It seemed way more expensive now(like 100 and up) for obsolete machine. So I google and it turns out one of the guys from NIN uses it in his live rig. I think that’s why the price has climbed

I can’t see paying more than $40 maybe 50 for a Porta 02 cmon
snuggle

Postby snuggle » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:43 am

I bought a iRig for my iPad and purchased “AmpliTube” for $19.99 and so far am not impressed. I feel led on as the reviews make it feel like it offers so much...instead the different amps and microphones have been closed off for further purchasing.

So I downloaded Tonebridge for free and am having much more fun with that and it sounds better to my ears.
snuggle

Postby DasLofGang » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:03 am

they can pry my cassette portapotty from my cold dead fingers

hate computers, hate every DAW I've ever tried

need actual knobs I can twist to just make shit happen without scrolling through menus all day

plus they sound cool

love that fucking machine so much
heaven’s full of murderers
DasLofGang

Postby DasLofGang » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:05 am

I'm really not some analog fetishist or anything, it's just that nobody has bothered to build anything on the vastly superior technology available that's anywhere near as easy to use or doesn't constantly piss me off
DasLofGang

Postby DasLofGang » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:11 am

cassette tapes have hella noise and limited dynamic range but I've never popped one in and had it just say ERROR
DasLofGang

Postby Dinosauria We » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:00 am

i've been playing bass for a couple of years but i've never really learned how to play it. i just sort of noodle around on it, make weird loops, and use effects to make up for my lack of technical skill. i've played successfully with others, but i remain limited among actual players. can anybody point me to some quality youtube videos that will run down the basics for me? i need to learn chords and patterns and keys (i've only ever known how to read tabs). i really don't want to pay for lessons so any type of resource would be great.
Dinosauria We

Postby snuggle » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:18 am

DasLofGang wrote:I'm really not some analog fetishist or anything, it's just that nobody has bothered to build anything on the vastly superior technology available that's anywhere near as easy to use or doesn't constantly piss me off

I know the feeling

I’d like to record without staring at a computer again and would love a Tascam 414 mkii

snuggle

Postby bro tones » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:21 am

i have the big brother to that, the 424. i haven't had it out in a while, but i really love this machine. sometimes i do an writing exercise where i limit myself to writing 4 parts in 15 minutes are less for each track, respectively. i've made some of my favorite songs this way. really inspiring machine and no distraction.
benj wrote:rest in peace luggii dead ass
bro tones

Postby DasLofGang » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:33 am

o/

i have a really old beige 424 from the 80s but it's packed away somewhere, i love it but the big kahuna 8 track is what i keep around even just to use as a mixer. i paid $50 for it!

Last edited by DasLofGang on Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
DasLofGang

Postby DasLofGang » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:34 am

and if you can't get a good sound out of one of these pieces of shit, It's On You ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
DasLofGang

Postby snuggle » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:48 am

These are all going like 200 300 plus now in suspect condition
snuggle

Postby DasLofGang » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:50 am

snuggle wrote:These are all going like 200 300 plus now

yeah i got mine back in the early days of digital when everyone who had one couldn't throw it in the garbage fast enough
DasLofGang

Postby DasLofGang » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:51 am

the old 424 looks like it was maybe used once or not at all
DasLofGang

Postby snuggle » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:41 am

DasLofGang wrote:cassette tapes have hella noise and limited dynamic range but I've never popped one in and had it just say ERROR

How degraded is the quality vs plugging into a DAW? Anyone have any info, I’m curious. I actually liked the noise and the warmth of tape back in the day, and digital just feels too clean
snuggle

Postby Grey Poupon » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:25 pm

snuggle wrote:I bought a iRig for my iPad and purchased “AmpliTube” for $19.99 and so far am not impressed. I feel led on as the reviews make it feel like it offers so much...instead the different amps and microphones have been closed off for further purchasing.

So I downloaded Tonebridge for free and am having much more fun with that and it sounds better to my ears.

Tonebridge is great if you just want to plug in and have some fun, I agree. I’ve been using it the last few weeks. I won’t ever pay so I can modify the presets but that’s beside the plug in have fun point. In fact not being able to waste time knob twiddling probably makes my practise more productive.

I also have the Ultimate guitar tab app which I bought a lifetime subscription for a few years ago. They are kinda shady with their constant sales pitches and ad ridden website but I also have to admit I find the app super useful for stepping through songs.
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
Grey Poupon

Postby No Not Now » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:17 pm

snuggle wrote:I wanted to buy an old Tascam cassette Porta studio like I used to own to make analog loops and experiment with. It seemed way more expensive now(like 100 and up) for obsolete machine. So I google and it turns out one of the guys from NIN uses it in his live rig. I think that’s why the price has climbed

I can’t see paying more than $40 maybe 50 for a Porta 02 cmon

It was featured in this video a couple months ago:

Pretty neat.
No Not Now

Postby FourLegsGood » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:19 pm

TASCAM 388 is where it's at.
easy wrote:GOD DAMN IT
FourLegsGood

Postby DasLofGang » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:21 pm

buddy has one of those, super cool
DasLofGang

Postby Cone » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:39 pm

glad we're doing rig pics again because I just finished setting up my first pedalboard. Don't play live at all but it's great for dicking around and practicing at home.

Shout out to boarder No Not Now, saw your instagram post about building a board out of the IKEA hejne shelf and followed suit myself. The original shelf was a bit too big for my liking though so I took a circular saw and cut out about ten inches from the middle of each slat and then joined the two sides together to shorten it down to 16 inches across. Then I took one of the boards and screwed it in below the seam of the two sides to brace it in the middle.

I'm a patch cable short right now so the Loop Station isn't in the chain until I get another one and I'm gonna add a delay pedal before feeling like it's "complete" (for now).

Fender Duo Sonic HS with American Standard Tele pickup in the neck -> MXR DynaComp compressor -> EHX Soul Food Overdrive -> MXR Blue Box Octave Fuzz -> Mooer Funky Monkey Auto Wah -> DOD Icebox Chorus -> Fender Princeton 112

Cone

Postby snuggle » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:20 pm

Buying a Porta 02 for $40 tomorrow
snuggle

Postby ahungbunny » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:57 pm

so i found my second guitar by accident today, just in time for band practice

1982 vantage avenger. well-built japanese motherfucker that i fell in lust with when i brought in a bass to get set up. perfect for gothy shit, totally serviceable as a backup in the d-beat band but i'll probably use it on stage because it's just so sexy
ahungbunny

Postby snuggle » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:37 pm

That axe looks like it cuts deep
snuggle

Postby No Not Now » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:26 pm

Dinosauria We wrote:i've been playing bass for a couple of years but i've never really learned how to play it. i just sort of noodle around on it, make weird loops, and use effects to make up for my lack of technical skill. i've played successfully with others, but i remain limited among actual players. can anybody point me to some quality youtube videos that will run down the basics for me? i need to learn chords and patterns and keys (i've only ever known how to read tabs). i really don't want to pay for lessons so any type of resource would be great.

Adam Neely and Scott's Bass Lessons are two of the most prominent Bass youtubers off the top of my head. Both dominate the search terms. Vids arent always as in depth as what you would find in a traditional instruction video though. Scott leads you to his website where he offers courses behind a paywall so there is a limit there as well. Pretty much commonplace to run into this scenario on youtube. That said you'll probably learn some things while exploring their content. Check the playlists for categories.
https://www.youtube.com/user/havic5
https://www.youtube.com/user/devinebass

Thorough playlist here as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m9QGj9GjIY&list=PLImrzCNnL5PkSfa1gUpsGzSMELR31yW9h

Cone wrote:Shout out to boarder No Not Now, saw your instagram post about building a board out of the IKEA hejne shelf and followed suit myself.

Looks awesome! ~$30 is such a great deal for enough materials to make 2 pedalboards.
No Not Now

Postby Sad Panda » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:56 am

holy shit, my guitar teacher had/has a Vantage Avenger, never thought they were anything more than cheap garbage...thinking back though it did sound fantastic through his Music Man 1x12.

Picked up a Donner analog delay pedal yesterday. Haven't messed with it too much but it's definitely a solid and useful pedal for $35. Might pick up a few more of these things since used gear really isn't a thing around here.
pana wrote:that thing is the phallus i deserve
Sad Panda

Postby snuggle » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:12 pm

Are Squier precision basses decent for a used bass around $100? Or should I shop for another bass. I’m not picky, just want something cheap and ok for demo work
snuggle

Postby Eugenics » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:35 pm

pretty much any bass that you can plug in and play that stays in tune, keeps its intonation and doesn't have gnarly fret buzz or picks up EMF from mars, is worth a hundred bucks.
Eugenics

Postby Eugenics » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:38 pm

i'm a fan of short scale basses, so naturally i bought this squier affinity bronco bass, because they are only $150 brand new
Eugenics

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....