The loop waterslide is BACK at Action Park!

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby delgriffith » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:58 pm

Those crazy fuckers aren't giving up the dream:

This video features a prototype of the Sky Caliber ride that's now being tested by Avalanche Waterslides in Missouri. Riders plunge down a 90-degree, 45-foot long free-fall that sends them blasting through the 30-foot tall loop at speeds as fast as 50 miles per hour. It's a short ride for an attraction that costs $1.4 million to build, but what kid hasn't dreamed of blasting through a loop without being tethered to a track like on a roller coaster? There's not a parent on earth who would let their kid try a stunt like this in their own backyard, so Action Park will be the only place to try it.

http://toyland.gizmodo.com/a-water-slide-with-a-loop-that-wont-break-your-neck-is-1691292139

delgriffith

Postby delgriffith » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:00 pm

For those of you somehow unfamiliar: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Park

The one ride that has come to symbolize Action Park and its extreme thrillseeking was almost never used.

In the mid-1980s GAR built an enclosed water slide, not unusual for that time, and indeed the park already had several. But for this one they decided to build, at the end, a complete vertical loop of the kind more commonly associated with roller coasters.[27] Employees have reported they were offered hundred-dollar bills to test it. Tom Fergus, who described himself as "one of the idiots" who took the offer, said "$100 did not buy enough booze to drown out that memory."[23]

It was opened for one month in summer 1985 before it was closed at the order of the state's Advisory Board on Carnival Amusement Ride Safety, a highly unusual move at the time.[3] One worker told a local newspaper that "there were too many bloody noses and back injuries" from riders, and it was widely rumored, and reported in Weird NJ, that some of the test dummies sent down before it opened had been dismembered.[3] A rider also reportedly got stuck at the top of the loop due to insufficient water pressure, and a hatch had to be built at the bottom of the slope to allow for future extractions.[3]

The ride supposedly reopened a few more times over the years. In the summers of 1995 and 1996 it opened for several days before a few more injuries forced another shutdown.

Those who rode it have said that more safety measures were taken than was otherwise common at the park. Riders were weighed and hosed down with cold water, required to remove jewelry, and then carefully instructed in how they had to position their bodies to complete the ride.[28]

For the remainder of the park's existence, it remained visible near the entrance of Waterworld. It was dismantled shortly after the park closed and has never been rebuilt.
delgriffith

Postby bongo » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:03 pm

so what they learned from the fourth of july is that we're all gonna slide?
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby mustlovedongs » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:07 pm

i haven't read the Action Park wiki in a while but i assumed it was closed because it's a death trap. needless to say i'm going this summer :awful:
mustlovedongs
ok

Postby inspectorhound » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:07 pm

hell yea 8-)
inspectorhound

Postby delgriffith » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:08 pm

The line for this thing is gonna be INSANE. I hope they still serve beer.
delgriffith

Postby neuartillery » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:09 pm

Welp
Last edited by neuartillery on Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neuartillery

Postby Dead_Wizard » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:10 pm

I've got family in Vernon so I've been to Action Park a bunch. I've seen so many injuries there that I'm really impressed it's still around.

Picture kids in bathing suits falling off Alpine Slides going 30 mph and just flaying themselves on the concrete tube. One of my favorite things was watching people unable to let go on the Tarzan Swing then end up getting smashed against the wall. There was a water slide where people would constantly get wedged underwater/in the dark and have to kind of pull themselves to freedom.

It has made me the scar covered man I am today
Dead_Wizard

Postby delgriffith » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:12 pm

For those who have never read the Wikipedia entry, please do. Almost every line is a gem. Stuff like:

Watercraft
Super Speedboats: These were set up in a small pond, known by staff to be heavily infested with snakes.[3] They were supposed to be driven around a small island in the middle at 35-40 mph (56–64 km/h). While, unlike the land vehicles, there was no way to tamper with them and increase their speed, many riders nonetheless used them to play bumper boats, and one seriously inebriated rider had to be rescued by the attendant lifeguard after his boat capsized following a collision.[3]

Bumper boats: This ride was supposedly safer, but the engines often leaked gasoline, at least once requiring medical attention for one rider who got too much on his skin. As with the Super Speedboats mentioned above, the bumper boat pond was infested with snakes, and the boats themselves were notoriously difficult to maneuver, so much so that the employees who worked there in 1990 were reduced to shouting "Squeeze The Wheeze" and other nonsense. It made no difference, because riders could neither understand instructions above the din of the noisy engines nor control the skittering boats in any event.[3]
delgriffith

Postby delgriffith » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:16 pm

Aqua Skoot: Invented by Ken Bailey in the early 1980s,[31] riders would carry a hard, solid plastic sled up to the top of the ride, go down a slide consisting of rollers akin to what you would find on a factory, warehouse, or assembly line, and end up in a pool that in most areas was no deeper than a puddle. The idea of the ride was to, once the sled hit the water, skip across the water like a stone. In order to do this the rider had to be in a certain position, leaned back. If the rider was not in this position, the sled would sink into the water as soon as it hit the pool, flinging the rider off head-first, which often resulted in head injuries.
delgriffith

Postby adamtrask » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:19 pm

This place is like the epitome of 80's theme parks
Stuntman wrote:The party's over and we're just the people who are too drunk to drive home and everyone is fighting over who gets to sleep on the couch.
adamtrask
funny boy #1

Postby Dead_Wizard » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:19 pm

Me and my high school buddies once got super stoned prior to entering the park and I seriously almost died of fright like 30 times throughout the day. My friend started crying after going on the H2 Oh No! water slide.
Dead_Wizard

Postby JUGLIFE » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:20 pm

del if you just saw me laughing at meerkat, it was while reading about action park
My name is Jugdish, and I am The President of Hipinion
JUGLIFE
ok

Postby fakename » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:25 pm

the devastator is real
fakename

Postby delgriffith » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:29 pm

JUGLIFE wrote:del if you just saw me laughing at meerkat, it was while reading about action park

Hahah I need to get it on my phone, I can never figure out if I'm doing it right when I open up the stream on my comp. Glad to hear it though :D
delgriffith

Postby The Unblinking Eye » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:32 pm

Can't wait to squeeze the wheeze
The Unblinking Eye

Postby transitive » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:00 pm

The weird NJ article (which is the source for a lot of the Wiki) has great quotes and anecdotes from people who went/worked there.

http://weirdnj.com/stories/action-park/

I loved that they built one of the rides in a pond filled with snakes.
transitive

Postby hideout » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:54 pm

i feel so bad for tom fergus
postin' makes me feel good
hideout
ok

Postby Feech La Manna » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:16 pm

Getting stuck in a dark tube while in pain is probably the most terrifying thing I can imagine at this point in my life
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Viola Swamp » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:19 pm

hideout wrote:i feel so bad for tom fergus

av/squeeze the wheeze
Viola Swamp

Postby Jeremy » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:39 pm

Is this the basis for
Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:41 pm

Oh I see that's been covered.
Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:45 pm

Since many rides routed their lines so that those waiting could see every previous rider, many played to the audience with risky and bawdy behavior when it did finally come to be their turn. The Tarzan Swing in particular was known for outbursts of foul language (not always planned) and exhibitionism as people jumped off the swing in full view of the whole line behind them.[21]
Jeremy

Postby jon » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:46 pm

this should be the capital of the united states
jon

Postby Dead_Wizard » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:51 pm

woops, fixing size
Dead_Wizard

Postby delgriffith » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:52 pm

transitive wrote:The weird NJ article (which is the source for a lot of the Wiki) has great quotes and anecdotes from people who went/worked there.

http://weirdnj.com/stories/action-park/

I loved that they built one of the rides in a pond filled with snakes.

Also written in part by Chris Gethard.
delgriffith

Postby Dead_Wizard » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:01 pm

I wish I had a picture of my alpine slide injury.

I lost basically all of the skin on my arm from my wrist to elbow. Instead of getting first aid or anything I ripped my sock's toe open and pulled it over my arm like some hobo gauze so I could still go in the water. My friends older brother called me "sockarm" for the rest of the year. :(

I was wearing a tanktop and shorts while the guy in line behind me had full motorcycle leathers on.
Dead_Wizard

Postby screaming emphysema » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:05 pm

transitive wrote: I loved that they built one of the rides in a pond filled with snakes.

This part of the wiki just kills me

"As with the Super Speedboats mentioned above, the bumper boat pond was infested with snakes"
screaming emphysema

Postby good pups » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:10 pm

this is the one where someone who was injured was given the park in a lawsuit right?
good pups

Postby good pups » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:14 pm

hmm. i can't find that now. but i did find that it belongs to the original owners again.
good pups

Next

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....