The loop waterslide is BACK at Action Park!

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Cone » Tue May 15, 2018 2:44 pm

jon wrote:Action Park Oral History, a great read:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/536412/a ... al-history

thought this would be a good article to read while I had lunch. Instead it's making me nauseous.
Cone

Postby sailormoonvillain666@aol.com » Tue May 15, 2018 2:46 pm

the elon musk libertarian we need is action park man
Benneyan: Gene was a fascinating guy. He had investments in cancer research. He assembled the largest wine cellar in North America. He worked with partners to build a robotic parking garage. It was all kinds of things. He was always pushing for something new and different.

DeSaye: What Gene did was allow a certain amount of responsibility for each person. There were injuries, but ski areas have a ridiculous number of injuries. Nobody was telling you to drink and get on a sled doing 70 miles per hour.

Flynn: There was a high degree of personal responsibility. Individuals needed to make smart decisions on what they did and didn’t do on rides. Gene’s whole idea was: you controlled your own fate.

Benneyan: Gene’s delight was in people having fun. To do that, he wanted to push the limits. And in order to do that, everything was going to be bigger, faster, or some other superlative.
remember to please don't feed the trolls ;)
sailormoonvillain666@aol.com
(◠‿◠✿)(◠‿◠✿) kvlt (✿◠‿◠)(✿◠‿◠)

Postby bongo » Tue May 15, 2018 2:46 pm

Down in first aid, at the end of the night, you’d be having pizza and inevitably someone would come in looking like they had a giant burn from head to toe.

Benneyan: It was the Action Park tattoo.

Ish: You wouldn’t want to cover that up because it would just ooze. We’d use a disinfectant spray on it.

Flynn: I remember that ... I can’t believe we used it, actually. It was like 70 percent alcohol and 10 percent iodine. Imagine spraying 70 percent alcohol on a rug burn. We’d spray these dudes down and take bets on who would do the craziest dance. They would run out of first aid like we had just set them on fire.
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby Daft Pun » Tue May 15, 2018 2:56 pm

Mahler: I’m in my mid-40s now and made some of my best friends there. Some of them are still close friends and we still laugh about some of the things that happened. We spent all this time together at work and then we hung out afterwards. You met people from other high schools. I was kind of an arty kid, and without the internet, it was harder to find your people. That was one of the places I started to find them—other arty weirdos.

OTOH:

Mulvihill: The guys currently operating the amusement park, the guys that bought us out four years ago, lost three rides that had been there for 40 years. The state said they’re not safe. Why say that after 40 years? I don’t know. Maybe it’s just knowing how to manage bureaucracy that wants to control people’s lives.
AIR
Daft Pun
i'm ill not sicc

Postby Julius Sumner Miller » Tue May 15, 2018 4:46 pm

I guess I had some vague memory that Therese worked at Action Park, but it was kind of weird to see her name there. Especially since I haven't thought of her since the Best Show left WFMU.
Julius Sumner Miller

Postby RIXX » Tue May 15, 2018 4:51 pm

for some reason I keep feeling like i've already read an action park oral history very recently, possibly earlier in this thread. i'm probably conflating it with something else
RIXX

Postby miss black america » Thu May 17, 2018 11:18 am

how stoked for life would you be if you were the one who first came up with "traction park"
hahaha mad me chuckle that
miss black america

Previous

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.