The loop waterslide is BACK at Action Park!

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby delgriffith » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:49 pm

Jesus Christ.
delgriffith

Postby Legion » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:54 pm

The various threads we've had on Action Park are among my favorite board original content moments. If only there were an anthology.

Stuntman: Hipinion for me is like a choose-your-own adventure where every topic is a direct path to the depressed thread.
Legion

Postby Lake » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:04 pm

that movie looks cool but the coolest part is how it looks like they built replica's of old action park rides for it.
he does not believe an adequate safety margin was built into the Alpine Slide
Lake

Postby tricksforchips » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:13 pm

I can't wait for this movie. It's just Jackass but narrative.
tricksforchips

Postby ripersnifle » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:04 pm

steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
ripersnifle

Postby WAC » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:56 pm

Claiming corporate executives were rushed, careless and lacked expertise to design a thrill ride, an indictment Friday levied criminal charges against Schlitterbahn Water Park in the death of 10-year-old Caleb Schwab.

The 47-page indictment pulls together internal emails, blueprints, recordings and interviews with key witnesses to paint a picture that Schlitterbahn marched the 17-story Verruckt ride in Kansas City, Kan., to a public opening in 2014, despite serious questions about the ride's safety.

The indictment also says that several riders had suffered injuries on Verruckt, ranging from concussions to lacerations to slipped spinal disks, and that "documentation of injuries began almost immediately."

"[T]his child's death and the rapidly growing list of injuries were foreseeable and expected outcomes," the indictment said. "Verruckt's designers and operators knew that Verruckt posed a substantial and unjustifiable risk of death or severe bodily harm."

Caleb died on Aug. 7, 2016, when, while going down Verruckt, his raft went airborne and he was decapitated by a metal hoop that supported a netting system atop the ride. He had been seated in the front.

A director of operations, Tyler Austin Miles, has also been indicted. Miles, 29, surrendered to authorities on Friday and has been released on bond.

Friday's indictment says that John Schooley, lead designer of Verruckt, "possessed no engineering credential relevant to amusement ride design or safety." It also said that Jeff Henry, co-owner of Schlitterbahn, had no technical or engineering credentials.

Henry, according to the indictment, concocted the Verruckt idea in 2012 to "impress producers of Travel Channel's Xtreme Waterparks series."

Despite the nature of experimental amusement park rides needing extensive geometric and structural engineering, Friday's indictment said that Henry rushed the timeline of Verruckt's construction and design.

Email communications between Henry and Schooley were described in the indictment, and supported the allegation that Schlitterbahn accelerated the construction timeline of the attraction.

"Time, is of the essence. No time to die," reads a Dec. 14, 2012 email from Henry to Schooley. "I have to micro manage this. NOW. This is a design product for TV, absolutely cannot be anything else. Speed is 100% required. A floor a day. Tough schedule."

The indictment also said that warnings and misgivings were expressed by others during the construction of Verruckt and after it opened.

A steel detailer wrote an email to Verruckt's project manager during construction that "there were still so many unknowns" and that "my requests fell on deaf ears."

John Hunsucker, a consultant on Verruckt, warned Henry after the ride opened in 2014 that "Verruckt was unfinished and was still in an unsafe condition" and that Henry, according to the indictment, "obviously ignored the report because Verruckt remained in operation."

Winter Prosapio, a spokeswoman for Schlitterbahn, did not immediately have a comment on the corporate indictment.

But an earlier statement sent to The Star after Miles was arrested said the company was "shocked" by the news and that Schlitterbahn took safety seriously.

"Our staff, since we opened Schlitterbahn Kansas City, has demonstrated the highest dedication to safety, from the training of our lifeguards and ride operators, to ensuring all rides have operated in accordance with our strict protocols," Prosapio said. "Our team has been conscientious and committed to providing visitors to the waterpark a safe and enjoyable experience. We are shocked by any allegations of impropriety or negligence on the part of anyone associated with Verruckt."

Friday's indictment suggests otherwise.

"Verruckt suffered from a long list of dangerous design flaws; however, the most obvious and potentially lethal flaw was that Verruckt's design guaranteed that rafts would occasionally go airborne in a manner that could severely injure or kill the occupants," the indictment said. "Henry, Schooley, and Miles all knew about this problem before the ride opened to the public."

http://www.kansascity.com/news/article206605804.html
He said ALOT of shit last night. And most of it WASN'T how he supported a fascist.
WAC

Postby Big Oil » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:53 am

Big Oil

Postby jalapeño ranch » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:01 am

I loved the Schlitterbahn growing up. Devastating news!
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:
jalapeño ranch

Postby WAC » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:29 am

That whole Pearce thread is unbelievable.
He said ALOT of shit last night. And most of it WASN'T how he supported a fascist.
WAC

Postby abs » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:41 am

read this in Weird NJ mag / heard on Dollop years later... basically my backyard. this place is insane.
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾
abs
Queen Witch

Postby jalapeño ranch » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:19 am

jalapeño ranch

Postby jalapeño ranch » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:55 am

All right, what?

jalapeño ranch

Postby Quixotic » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:37 am

shit... that whole thread is a must read. this in particular is mind-blowing

within ONE WEEK prior to the decaptiation they had injuries to peoples' feet, spine, head, and jaw and they still didn't shut it down
Quixotic

Postby Quixotic » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:39 am

"obviously things do fall faster than Newton said" is just... amazing
Quixotic

Postby DasLofGang » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:58 am

VHGisdead wrote:Shins never recovered.

heaven’s full of murderers
DasLofGang

Postby ratbags » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:55 pm

Can't wait for this
session to session
ratbags

Postby tgk » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:43 pm

I mean, just look at that damn thing

tgk

Postby joe » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:17 pm

love this thread
dễ dàng wrote:CHẾT TIỆT
joe

Postby Riverchrist » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:32 pm

I don't care about "engineering credentials" as long as you can beat Lemmings on the highest difficulty.
Riverchrist

Postby jon » Mon May 14, 2018 6:04 pm

Action Park Oral History, a great read:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/536412/a ... al-history
jon

Postby jon » Mon May 14, 2018 6:06 pm

I started to pick out some quotes but got really overwhelmed.
jon

Postby Riverchrist » Tue May 15, 2018 12:54 pm

Yeah it's so difficult to choose.

Gianakis: They had electric fans underwater making rapids so you can use the kayak, and exposed electrical wires were under the water. The guy falls under the kayak, steps on the wire, gets electrocuted.

Zimmerman: To shield ourselves from the horror of that, we called it the Fryak.
Riverchrist

Postby transitive » Tue May 15, 2018 1:18 pm

Thomas Flynn (First Aid): The primary ingredient in those tracks was asbestos, by the way.

Fuck.
transitive

Postby Ankh » Tue May 15, 2018 1:56 pm

fun watching the owner's son try to deflect
Ankh
senior fellow

Postby jon » Tue May 15, 2018 2:29 pm

re: the Cannonball Loop:

DeSaye: What happened was, they sent employees down it. The first one smacked his face and his teeth got knocked out. The second person came out all cut up. When they went in, the first guy’s teeth had gotten stuck inside and cut the second guy.
jon

Postby Cone » Tue May 15, 2018 2:44 pm

jon wrote:Action Park Oral History, a great read:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/536412/a ... al-history

thought this would be a good article to read while I had lunch. Instead it's making me nauseous.
Cone

Postby sailormoonvillain666@aol.com » Tue May 15, 2018 2:46 pm

the elon musk libertarian we need is action park man
Benneyan: Gene was a fascinating guy. He had investments in cancer research. He assembled the largest wine cellar in North America. He worked with partners to build a robotic parking garage. It was all kinds of things. He was always pushing for something new and different.

DeSaye: What Gene did was allow a certain amount of responsibility for each person. There were injuries, but ski areas have a ridiculous number of injuries. Nobody was telling you to drink and get on a sled doing 70 miles per hour.

Flynn: There was a high degree of personal responsibility. Individuals needed to make smart decisions on what they did and didn’t do on rides. Gene’s whole idea was: you controlled your own fate.

Benneyan: Gene’s delight was in people having fun. To do that, he wanted to push the limits. And in order to do that, everything was going to be bigger, faster, or some other superlative.
remember to please don't feed the trolls ;)
sailormoonvillain666@aol.com
(◠‿◠✿)(◠‿◠✿) kvlt (✿◠‿◠)(✿◠‿◠)

Postby bongo » Tue May 15, 2018 2:46 pm

Down in first aid, at the end of the night, you’d be having pizza and inevitably someone would come in looking like they had a giant burn from head to toe.

Benneyan: It was the Action Park tattoo.

Ish: You wouldn’t want to cover that up because it would just ooze. We’d use a disinfectant spray on it.

Flynn: I remember that ... I can’t believe we used it, actually. It was like 70 percent alcohol and 10 percent iodine. Imagine spraying 70 percent alcohol on a rug burn. We’d spray these dudes down and take bets on who would do the craziest dance. They would run out of first aid like we had just set them on fire.
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby Daft Pun » Tue May 15, 2018 2:56 pm

Mahler: I’m in my mid-40s now and made some of my best friends there. Some of them are still close friends and we still laugh about some of the things that happened. We spent all this time together at work and then we hung out afterwards. You met people from other high schools. I was kind of an arty kid, and without the internet, it was harder to find your people. That was one of the places I started to find them—other arty weirdos.

OTOH:

Mulvihill: The guys currently operating the amusement park, the guys that bought us out four years ago, lost three rides that had been there for 40 years. The state said they’re not safe. Why say that after 40 years? I don’t know. Maybe it’s just knowing how to manage bureaucracy that wants to control people’s lives.
AIR
Daft Pun
i'm ill not sicc

Postby Julius Sumner Miller » Tue May 15, 2018 4:46 pm

I guess I had some vague memory that Therese worked at Action Park, but it was kind of weird to see her name there. Especially since I haven't thought of her since the Best Show left WFMU.
Julius Sumner Miller

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....