annual "fuck RSD" thread

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby gambra » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:54 pm

Eyeball Kid wrote:(Psst, gambra, I think we're on the same side here.)

(I know)
THIS IMPACT WILL CONTROL ALL MARGINS

Scrumptious Justice 8-) wrote:man don't be mean to gambra

virtuous wrote:lol imagine if your dad ran hpn

gambra

Postby Cringey » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:08 pm

Only things I am interested in are the live Townes Van Zandt and Jason Isbell LPs, and potentially the Nuggets and Cherry Red comps.
Cringey

Postby Eyeball Kid » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:29 pm

Speaking of the goddamn devil child-murdering Numero Group, I hadn't listened to Noise Addict since the 90's, and hey, looks like Numero's had the group's output on Spotify since last year. I'm enjoying it! Maybe I'll order that comp online!

Eyeball Kid

Postby Kev E Fly » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:43 pm

Kevin McCallister wrote:Fingers crossed for a Lo Fidelity Allstars picture 7" this year.

i laughed at this harder than i should have.

Kev E Fly

Postby Kevin McCallister » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:21 pm

scramble wrote:numero are so fucking gross

pop up store to grab business from other shops

burn in hell

Yeah man.
The other day I saw something called a "merch [sic] table" and I was like, Hellooo!? Can I see your business license??

Kevin McCallister

Postby Kevin McCallister » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:31 pm

I like that it isn't enough to have such an absurdly stupid opinion, but you're very passionate that Numero Group should "burn in Hell" for selling their overstock in pop-up shops and a personal website.

Do you think there would still be a Numero Group if they didn't do that?

Kevin McCallister

Postby neuartillery » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:34 pm

All-cover version of The Clash's Cut the Crap

Finally

neuartillery

Postby neuartillery » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:37 pm

Superchunk's Cup of Sand on vinyl is the only thing from the US list that's tempting.

UK has reissues of Cocteau Twins' Milk & Kisses and Four Calendar Cafe and the first vinyl pressing of Dirty Three's Ufkuko EP, will look into importing those.

neuartillery

Postby scramble » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:39 pm

its true i am quite wound up today, numero is taking the brunt of my frustrations

also though i'm not wrong
Scrambleton F. Posterman III

ooops wrote:ooops

scramble

Postby Swelling Itching Brain » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:39 pm

Gotta keep Nimero around long enough for them to issue whatever husker du product they're cooking up from the tapes
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH

Swelling Itching Brain

Postby neuartillery » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:42 pm

I assume Numero has way too much backstock.

neuartillery

Postby Eyeball Kid » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:00 pm

scramble, this is a thread for making fun of RSD and not for you to work out your very weird hatred for a specific archival record label

Eyeball Kid

Postby Kevin McCallister » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:04 pm

Records should only be sold in one place.
A RECORD STORE.

And I think the best time to voice this opinion is the year 2017!!!

Kevin McCallister

Postby scramble » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:15 pm

ok guys, this will be my last:

some bad faith shit from some of you.

look, record stores will go. i get that. and mailorder, merch table at a show, etc have always been things, and good ones at that.

but none of your examples are what i'm upset about, specifically: hijacking RECORD STORE DAY (however flawed it is) when all focus should be on STORES... to open a competing shop on that very day is just so goddamn insulting... to me.

numero i think justifies it by saying--correctly--that RSD as it is currently run is bullshit. but i simply cannot get away from the fact that they are sorta twisting the knife for stores, even if it's just a couple times a year. i don't believe the pop-up in Chicago generates more sales for other stores, as someone claimed upthread. i do believe that money does not get spent at existing stores, and that is a shame.

but i guess you just don't see it that way.

ok
Scrambleton F. Posterman III

ooops wrote:ooops

scramble

Postby mustlovedongs » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:46 pm

Kevin McCallister wrote:Fingers crossed for a Lo Fidelity Allstars picture 7" this year.

this and maybe the sublime with rome lp are all i need

mustlovedongs
ok

Postby Hugh » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:51 pm

At least I found out from this that there is a new Mark Mulcahy album.

Hugh

Postby Kevin McCallister » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:05 pm

scramble wrote:but none of your examples are what i'm upset about, specifically: hijacking RECORD STORE DAY (however flawed it is) when all focus should be on STORES... to open a competing shop on that very day is just so goddamn insulting... to me.

numero i think justifies it by saying--correctly--that RSD as it is currently run is bullshit. but i simply cannot get away from the fact that they are sorta twisting the knife for stores, even if it's just a couple times a year. i don't believe the pop-up in Chicago generates more sales for other stores, as someone claimed upthread. i do believe that money does not get spent at existing stores, and that is a shame.

Nah that's fair. I agree that they shouldn't be competing with record stores with a pop-up shop on the day dedicated to helping out record stores. If they have issues with RSD they should opt out completely.

Kevin McCallister

Postby fakename » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:12 pm

fakename

Postby Poptone » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:14 pm

reaaaaaal fucking annoyed The The is a UK only release

i guess it'd be nice to have the Sundays' Blind on vinyl...about the only thing that excites me from the US offerings

Poptone
cat fan

Postby Eyeball Kid » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:22 pm

scramble, Numero's pop-up shops only offer their own stock, with what RSD exclusives the label sells are stuff that's available at the other RSD places. They do not carry any other RSD release. What you are arguing is that Numero, choosing this day to sell their own releases—which are available throughout the year, not just this one day—in a physical location, is actually hurting competing record stores, attracting the people who would have gone to _________ to purchase, say, the reissued Space Jam soundtrack, but instead have decided to go spend money on a couple of Eccentric Soul comps that they could get year-round, anyway.

This doesn't strike me as an effective way to divert money from the competition!

Eyeball Kid

Postby Kevin McCallister » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:27 pm

I also don't believe that if you want some esoteric Numero Group release you should have to wait hours in line and hope that the person in front of you doesn't buy one of the two copies in the store. The current RSD system is fundamentally gross.

But, again, Numero Group could just have their pop-up store the week after.

Kevin McCallister

Postby acidity regulator » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:42 pm

I don't like Numero Group because they don't like answering questions and their website is vague as shit:

Silver Tier:
$150 gets you the next equivalent valued assortment of Numero CDs, LPs, 45s, or box sets. Choose which formats you'd like or skip upcoming releases. Silver Subscribers get a 15% discount for one year, any limited bonus items we produce in conjunction with other releases (45s, postcards, coins, toothbrushes), plus a membership pin specific to the year you subscribed in.

Your Silver subscription begins on the day you sign up and lasts for one full year. If you've opted out of too many releases in that year, your remaining balance will be converted to credit and added to your account.

Gold Tier:
Put your credit card on our secure server and be charged in $150 increments until you opt out. Choose which formats you'd like, which series or labels you prefer, or even skip upcoming releases. Gold Subscribers get a 15% discount for one year, any limited bonus items we produce in conjunction with other releases (45s, postcards, coins, toothbrushes), all Record Store Day items, plus a membership pin specific to the year you subscribed in.

Your Gold subscription begins on the day you sign up and lasts for one full year. If you've opted out of too many releases in that year, your remaining balance will be converted to credit and added to your account.

Can you tell a difference between Gold & Silver tier? Is it the secure server? Good luck trying to find out that or if postage fees are included!
ImageImageImage

acidity regulator
Site Admin

Postby Double McDouble » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:47 pm

Kevin McCallister wrote:I also don't believe that if you want some esoteric Numero Group release you should have to wait hours in line and hope that the person in front of you doesn't buy one of the two copies in the store. The current RSD system is fundamentally gross.

But, again, Numero Group could just have their pop-up store the week after.

they make a big deal of not supporting flippers on the RSD website, but does any of this stuff even sell for over retail anyway? like are there RSD scalpers out there waiting in line to try to turn a profit on this shit?
Double McDouble

Postby emotional fascism » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:27 pm

Not on Numero stuff, but yeah flipping is a scourge on RSD. I blame the stores for not having better processes in place to prevent it though.

emotional fascism

Postby mustlovedongs » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:04 pm

is this where we post our record store day hauls?

here's mine:

mustlovedongs
ok

Postby Eyeball Kid » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:09 pm

So jelly

Eyeball Kid

Postby SonicBoom » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:16 pm

Was off today, looked through what my local store had and wanted maybe one or two things but they were so overpriced it was disgusting.

SonicBoom

Postby antoine » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:00 pm

I bought Luna - Penthouse which was def overpriced and a couple other cheaper things. Whatev.

antoine

Postby Ici Aussi! » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:21 pm

i really wanted the spacemen 3 recurring & playing with fire reissues but it's really not worth the irritation of the lineups and $$$

Ici Aussi!

Postby Hugh » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:22 pm

Ici Aussi! wrote:i really wanted the spacemen 3 recurring & playing with fire reissues but it's really not worth the irritation of the lineups and $$$

Spaceman said don't buy

Hugh

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley