Official Ongoing Harry Potter Thread

Ive found in time the search on this forum was shit but if you google whatever keywords with the word hipinion, you get what you're looking for most of the time. I mean even when they keywords aren't exact.

Postby big zorb » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:01 pm

hedwig and the angry inch is a musical in which the magical owl shames harry for his penis size
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].
big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby wendy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:02 pm

5% Tint wrote:was Ginny the blandest job of casting

probably but the movies completely fucked up the character anyway so i don't really know where to lay the blame
wendy

Postby black drum » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:03 pm

Tom Cruise wrote:they should have killed harry

agreed
black drum
Maritime Lawyer

Postby wendy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:04 pm

i was annoyed about the pairing off of the characters. harry and ginny felt really rushed, cheap, and forced whereas ron and hermione's potential tapered out in the 7th book

that's my opinion
wendy

Postby wendy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:05 pm

i also agree that harry should have died

i've held that opinion since i first read order of the phoenix
wendy

Postby big zorb » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:06 pm

harry and hermoine spent a lot of time alone in that tent
big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby wendy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:07 pm

i resent the implication that men and women can't be just friends
wendy

Postby Tom Cruise » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:08 pm

is harry + ginny as ridic in the last few books as it was in the films then
katy perry pissing all over my diamond-encrusted crown as I sentence another peon to death
Tom Cruise

Postby iambic » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:08 pm

wendy wrote:
iambic wrote:the harry potter universe is not an open world universe

i just want to fight some death eaters and know there are real live people controlling them

that's doable, but there are like four notable or recurring locations in Harry Potter outside of Hogwarts/The Ministry/The Order HQ. most of the travel in the game is either tightly constrained (train) or instant (flue network). I guess you could have fun flying broomsticks around an open landscape, but what would be the point of the scenery/exploration in between areas? this isn't a true fantasy land with uncharted lands; it's a shadowrealm England where Muggles put huge constraints on what you could reasonably do with magic in open areas.

also, just.. these are books about the rigid confines, rituals, and scheduling of a giant boarding school. they're a have-your-cake-and-eat-it reckoning with the English class system and all its constraints. the books are their greatest when the teenagers are tiptoeing up against those constraints and at their worst when they're closer to grown up and just moping about the wilderness trying to find horcruxes or whatever. freedom is transgressive in HP, not expressive.

you've got this wonderfully rich school setting that harmonizes the intricacies and mysteries of puberty with the intricacies and mysteries of magical lore, and you want to blow it on a lame third-person action game where you throw fireballs at baddies. zzzz.
iambic

Postby big zorb » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:10 pm

wendy wrote:i resent the implication that men and women can't be just friends

in all sincerity i always thought it was wild (for the audience of the books) that ron's thing when the horcrux was messing with his brain was that his girlfriend was going to cuckold him with his best friend. that seemed insanely pedestrian jealous guy in a world of magic and shit.
big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby wendy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:13 pm

Tom Cruise wrote:is harry + ginny as ridic in the last few books as it was in the films then

not AS ridiculous but it was pretty fucking ridiculous

throughout book six his feelings for her as described as like a monster living in his chest that purrs when she hugs harry and growls when she kisses or talks to her boyfriend(s)

jk rowling what the fuck is that shit

then one day after winning the house cup he kisses her in front of everyone at a party, ron is like "what? okay," ginny's like "cool," and then they have what is later described as "lost hours" around the hogwarts grounds which he reflects on fondly after he halfheartedly dumps her allegedly for her own good
wendy

Postby wendy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:13 pm

ugh honestly do not get me started on harry and ginny
wendy

Postby wendy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:14 pm

god now i'm steamed just thinking about it
wendy

Postby black drum » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:15 pm

I think harry should have died before the books got started though.

like died in utero.
black drum
Maritime Lawyer

Postby big zorb » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:16 pm

wendy is mad online
big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby black drum » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:16 pm

Larry change your name back as I am also mad online
black drum
Maritime Lawyer

Postby iambic » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:18 pm

larry the cable guy tooth fairy 28 wrote:in all sincerity i always thought it was wild (for the audience of the books) that ron's thing when the horcrux was messing with his brain was that his girlfriend was going to cuckold him with his best friend. that seemed insanely pedestrian jealous guy in a world of magic and shit.

Harry Potter isn't about magic; it's about trying to reclaim British nationalism and classism as worthy or at least comforting. Ron's fear here is that of the noveau pauvre elite who knows the grammar school kids are ultimately better suited to one another, plus they have money now.
iambic

Postby wendy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:24 pm

no ron's fear is that he was nobody's "most important"

voldemort preyed on the fact that he was the 6th son of "a mother who craved a daughter" and that he always came in second to harry. this fear is also clearly shown is in the 4th book when he thinks harry secretly put his name in the goblet of fire without telling him. all of his brothers have their "things" -- bill was a genius and is a code breaker, charlie works with dragons, percy is a really smart poindexter/ministry head, the twins are great at quidditch and really funny (and ron mentions early in the books that they're really good at school), ginny is the girl ( :| )

that's why it was such a huge deal for him to get the prefect badge
wendy

Postby big zorb » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:27 pm

no iambic's post makes more sense
big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby iambic » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:27 pm

Ron is also a pureblood who knows that should make him special by default. then he has to go to school with all these much more talented Muggle-born wizards and his class privilege just eats his dumb ass. the prefect badge is a relief because it reassures him that his lineage is true. cool books.
iambic

Postby iambic » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:27 pm

remember at the end of Harry Potter when they purged the most egregious capital-R racists but then fell back into the comfortable, familiar structure of privately schooled bloodline magic with all its entrenched inequities, caste systems, rigidly enforced magical etiquette and thinly-veiled contempt for the squibs and muggles. and in the end they all became their parents. what a wonderful adventure.
iambic

Postby iambic » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:28 pm

Harry's character arc is surviving being born middle class. woof.
iambic

Postby wendy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:33 pm

iambic wrote:remember at the end of Harry Potter when they purged the most egregious capital-R racists but then fell back into the comfortable, familiar structure of privately schooled bloodline magic with all its entrenched inequities, caste systems, rigidly enforced magical etiquette and thinly-veiled contempt for the squibs and muggles. and in the end they all became their parents. what a wonderful adventure.

kingsley made some improvements

iambic wrote:Ron is also a pureblood who knows that should make him special by default. then he has to go to school with all these much more talented Muggle-born wizards and his class privilege just eats his dumb ass. the prefect badge is a relief because it reassures him that his lineage is true. cool books.

i don't think ron ever actually believed being pureblood should make him special. he may have resented the fact that it wasn't true, but i don't think he ever thought there was a difference in power or ability between purebloods and non-purebloods. i don't even think percy ever believed that and he would be the most likely imo to look for and latch onto those distinctions

as for other intelligent and sentient magical beings, well, ron has made me cringe many times
wendy

Postby wendy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:35 pm

however ron was obviously acutely aware of class and often embarrassed by his family/belongings
wendy

Postby wendy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:36 pm

harry's arc is almost learning when to tell an adult when something is wrong
wendy

Postby big zorb » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:37 pm

who are the communist wizards
big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby iambic » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:38 pm

you have a good heart, wendy
iambic

Postby wendy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:38 pm

in the first book harry straight up is like "we gotta deal with voldemort even though we're 11" and in the seventh book he's like "hey aberforth can you do me a small favor, please don't ask me why"
wendy

Postby wendy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:39 pm

iambic wrote:you have a good heart, wendy

...this feels condescending
wendy

Postby big zorb » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:39 pm

are there libertarian wizards?
big zorb
smiling drinker

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All