Official Ongoing Harry Potter Thread

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby iambic » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:59 pm

wendy wrote:
lordofdiapers wrote:Ok lets be real though the Weasley family thing makes nonsense. They're like pure, old blood but also somehow dirt poor but they live in a big house and the adults are old school freedom fighters and their giant brood is comprised entirely of succesful and relatively famous wizards. Money and the general economy of the HP uni is really all over the place

hard agree about money & the economy, it makes no sense

it makes perfect sense when you remember that money and the economy are problems for the proles (Muggles).
iambic

Postby Tom Cruise » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:59 pm

is it really a return to bloodline magic when a bunch of the main characters are mudblood and halfblood and even the purebloods are hooking up with others who aren't
katy perry pissing all over my diamond-encrusted crown as I sentence another peon to death
Tom Cruise

Postby Tom Cruise » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:00 pm

the wizards should've lorded it over the muggles like stalin instead of fighting among themselves imo
katy perry pissing all over my diamond-encrusted crown as I sentence another peon to death
Tom Cruise

Postby iambic » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:02 pm

Tom Cruise wrote:is it really a return to bloodline magic when a bunch of the main characters are mudblood and halfblood and even the purebloods are hooking up with others who aren't

they were doing that before; people were just mad about it. at the end of the books, magic is still in your blood or it isn't. everyone is operating in the same framework and with the same self-interested secrecy. you still get exclusive access to the wizard world based on genetics, more or less, while the people who would benefit most from magic are lied to about its very existence. it's a dystopian vision of haves and have-nots cloaked in cutesy British gentility.
iambic

Postby wendy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:02 pm

kirito wrote:does ron have a character arc?

yes although most of it takes place off-page/screen

between books 6 and 7 he grows up a lot and starts to take ownership of his emotions, self-doubt, feelings, and responsibilities. he falters in book 7 but then returns with a vengeance and becomes a actual contributing member of the trio whereas he was just a soldier before
wendy

Postby wendy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:03 pm

larry the cable guy tooth fairy 28 wrote:wendy why was sirius an asshole?

well at least until he was 16 years old he was a smug prick who had no qualms about sexually assaulting and bullying another student in public

as an adult he was whiny, insolent, selfish, and passive aggressive
wendy

Postby iambic » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:04 pm

the books would have been way more interesting if magic was slowly growing throughout society and more or more Muggles were becoming wizards and the wizarding world was having to reckon with this new, radically egalitarian vision of magic. but no, it's just a prolonged spat about how rude you're allowed to be to someone who lacks your breeding. no wonder the kids didn't turn out to reject Brexit.
iambic

Postby iambic » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:08 pm

so Lily Evans gets to be a wizard and access supernatural powers that could transform life as we know it while Petunia gets to go to the local comprehensive. later, we're supposed to resent the latter for being the littlest bit bitter about this completely fucked arrangement.
iambic

Postby Tom Cruise » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:09 pm

iambic what house did you get sorted into
Tom Cruise

Postby strange potion » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:10 pm

iambic wrote:
wendy wrote:in the first book harry straight up is like "we gotta deal with voldemort even though we're 11" and in the seventh book he's like "hey aberforth can you do me a small favor, please don't ask me why"

yes, he learns his place in society and to respect the system. that is what British school is for.

I was going to weigh in on this but I've learnt the hard way that wendy's vision of british boarding schools is on the enid blyton end of the spectrum not the billy bunter/tom brown etc. end and I don't want to upset that utopian ideal any further, so I will not

Anyway despite my reservations I think open world HP could be very cool, I can be surprisingly forgiving
strange potion

Postby iambic » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:13 pm

Tom Cruise wrote:iambic what house did you get sorted into

I reject the schema and the hat that perpetuates it
iambic

Postby larry the cable guy tooth fairy 28 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:18 pm

wendy wrote:
larry the cable guy tooth fairy 28 wrote:wendy why was sirius an asshole?

well at least until he was 16 years old he was a smug prick who had no qualms about sexually assaulting and bullying another student in public

as an adult he was whiny, insolent, selfish, and passive aggressive

wow i guess for whatever reason i had kinda forgotten about sirius the teen. harry's dad's crew were shitheads.
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].
larry the cable guy tooth fairy 28
smiling drinker

Postby Tom Cruise » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:21 pm

lupin was chill tho right
Tom Cruise

Postby Tom Cruise » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:22 pm

Remus was a good student, but also a prankster. He and Peter Pettigrew would sometimes join Sirius and James in detention for mischief-making, though they did not get into as much trouble as their other friends.

Sirius later tells Harry that Remus wasn't an idiot like his friends because he was never cruel to Snape.
Tom Cruise

Postby wendy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:26 pm

strange potion wrote:
iambic wrote:
wendy wrote:in the first book harry straight up is like "we gotta deal with voldemort even though we're 11" and in the seventh book he's like "hey aberforth can you do me a small favor, please don't ask me why"

yes, he learns his place in society and to respect the system. that is what British school is for.

I was going to weigh in on this but I've learnt the hard way that wendy's vision of british boarding schools is on the enid blyton end of the spectrum not the billy bunter/tom brown etc. end and I don't want to upset that utopian ideal any further, so I will not

Anyway despite my reservations I think open world HP could be very cool, I can be surprisingly forgiving

i think i've gotten a bit better about this

like i understand that what i imagine is not how it is, and i see what iambic is talking about, like i recognize it and accept it as truth, but my brain cannot reconcile the truth with my fantasy at which point the latter takes precedence
wendy

Postby wendy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:33 pm

yeah remus was cool. not even peter was all that bad. i mean he was annoying and sought out power but he wasn't a bully
wendy

Postby iambic » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:36 pm

I am mostly trolling. real fun books!
iambic

Postby strange potion » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:37 pm

wendy wrote:
strange potion wrote:
iambic wrote:

i think i've gotten a bit better about this

like i understand that what i imagine is not how it is, and i see what iambic is talking about, like i recognize it and accept it as truth, but my brain cannot reconcile the truth with my fantasy at which point the latter takes precedence

Yeah and I think that's the healthy way to look at it. I loved all those books, (especially hp) despite being fully aware of what the reality is and was. We all need that comfort in our lives.
strange potion

Postby iambic » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:39 pm

lupin is legit the best character, but I also really enjoyed the cad sirius black
iambic

Postby Tom Cruise » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:23 pm

Hey bread how come the sword didn't just appear to Harry when they needed to smash some horcruxes? Instead Snape had to hide it in the pond

Apart from 'plot reasons'
Tom Cruise

Postby wendy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:53 am

I think plot reasons is truly the whole answer but let me think

So we know the sword only appears to true gryffindors (also we know that the hat is a SWORDING hat because sometimes that’s where the sword comes from and no I will not ever tire of that joke)

So in the books Harry had to show an act of bravery in order to “earn” the sword (jumping into the freezing pond) but when that failed the sword made itself available to ron who performed the truest brave act, saving Harry for no personal gain

So I mean that’s the “reason” but the real reason is plot. Same as why doesn’t Harry tell Dumbledore about shit that’s going on
wendy

Postby wendy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:07 am

I mean the whole thing is super annoying actually. So the reader is basically in Harry’s Head the whole time. And Dumbledore doesn’t tell harry about the horcruxes because he’s afraid Harry will act rashly and/or he (Dumbledore) feels that harry needs to find out organically. But as dumb as I think harry is, and I think he’s hella dumb, I think he (well hermione mostly) would’ve only worked better knowing what he was up against. And I think Dumbledore should have and would have known that. So there’s no good reason for that entire plot line anyway

So yeah. Most plots in the series fall apart when you really look at them. I couldn’t admit this for a long time. Book four is insane and shouldn’t exist at all despite it being a fun as hell story. The end of book 3 and 5 make no sense. I’ve decidedly not thought too hard about the believability of the other ones but they would probably fall apart under scrutiny too

Hell I guess I love em
wendy

Postby wendy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:11 am

Oh okay here’s an idea. So we don’t know how or what makes the sword decide to make itself available to true gryffindor, like we don’t know what the sword considers a gryffindor-like act

But we do know that before the sword had the chance to offer itself to harry for the destruction of horcruxes, it was possessed (given from Dumbledore, a gryffindor, to Snape) and later hidden by Snape.

So one could reasonably argue that when the sword is sitting around with no purpose it’s available to appear to Gryffindors who perform acts of bravery but when it’s in use it’s not available to appear to them. So if we follow this line of thinking the sword would not have been able to appear to harry until Snape relinquished it or put it to that use. And we can also argue that Snape was acting as a true gryffindor at that time, which is why the sword obeyed him

See this is why I love it
wendy

Postby bigcat » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:45 pm

Sirius is good and smart he is just misunderstood
bigcat

Postby bigcat » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:46 pm

It isn't fault he was traumatized by the dementors!
bigcat

Postby wendy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:55 pm

Sirius was a dick head before the dementors
wendy

Postby Tom Cruise » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:11 pm

some questions i googled when i watched the last 2 films again late last night:

why does lucois malfoy look so tired
why do they capture hagrid
why couldn't voldemort sense harry nearby when he killed snape
how does voldemort speak to everyone
how did harry play dead through crucio
how did snape fly away
why is harry's house still ruined
why do goblins look evil
why do they have to wear slytherin's locket
why didn't harry break all the ice before jumping in the pond

:barney:

A ton of stuff is explainable but just included in the film with no explanation I guess

Everybody should've rushed outside when Harry was battling Voldemort at the end and had some celebration scene. He just disintegrates and then Harry goes inside and everyone is just chilling out
Tom Cruise

Previous

Return to Free-For-All