Ryan Gosling IS Blade Runner

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby largecrow » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:51 am

Anyway overall I thought it was a pretty good movie, maybe even great, though never really came close to the highwater mark of the first. Especially loved the rich color/ambient presence of the movie. Plot felt a bit too constructed and too elaborate. And despite my rambling over-analysis, often felt like it was written by screenwriters who were stubbornly determined to write a Deep and Philosophical Movie and as a result made something thematically plodding/labored/overstuffed. Like the introspective stuff was grafted onto a story that was written to be exciting and gripping and the two never quite synthesized right.

Otherwise: Jared Leto felt like an anime villain. Actually though Ryan Gosling did a pretty bang-on job as an emotionless pseudo-human who increasingly suspects -- and is trying to come to grips with -- that he isn't emotionless. Ford kinda lame but better than Han Solo. Everyone else felt convincing to enjoyable in their role.
Last edited by largecrow on Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
largecrow

Postby spix et chicho » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:51 am

Deckard & Joe
CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ
spix et chicho

Postby whatabout tim » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:35 am

nite69 wrote:she also says something about trees when she sees it, which means she could just be amazed by the real wood? that line actually makes things very confusing now that im considering it, because my assumption was definitely that she had the memory as well

Yea, I ended up seeing the movie yesterday on account of the weather and I am pretty sure she was so infatuated with it because it was made with real wood. Seemed like a follow up to her original comment regarding never seeing trees.
tim
whatabout tim

Postby kirito » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:22 am

spix et chicho wrote:I dno. I saw it again today and I legit liked it way more this time knowing how the plot unfolds, was able to get a lil deeper with what it was trying to do, but the resistance scene is so lazy and stupid it maybe ruins the 2 hours that come before it

it's kind of too bad that gosling's acting in this scene is phenomenal
I love social media, I love fitness and I love photography
kirito

Postby ashtrayheart » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:55 pm

largecrow wrote:
spix et chicho wrote:I dno. I saw it again today and I legit liked it way more this time knowing how the plot unfolds, was able to get a lil deeper with what it was trying to do, but the resistance scene is so lazy and stupid it maybe ruins the 2 hours that come before it

I almost kind of liked that scene but (hear me out) thanks to a probably overwrought interpretation. I took it as an audience fake-out, sort of like the K-is-the-chosen-one thing. This one being more: K is destined to lead a resistance against the evil overlords. Both of these are total stock sci-fi premises. And, way I took it, ultimately refuting them both (chose one is wrong, resistance is ignored) is a way of underlining how K isn't special whatsoever.

this is how I read it, and why i wasn't bothered by, even enjoyed the resistance scene. I thought it was fine because while it was going on the focus of the movie was kept squarely on K.
ashtrayheart

Postby ashtrayheart » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:58 pm

dang, i mean i can't say the film isnt plodding, but i genuinely loved that about it. a long, slow sci fi movie thats about one character in a world thats gorgeous and fun to look at. thought its plot was pretty lean, or at least it was just about one guys arc and every event keeps the focus squarely on K.

i saw it a second time last weekend and i'll double down on it, it's great.
ashtrayheart

Postby spix et chicho » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:58 pm

i just think it could have been handled in a less hackneyed way. the leader lowering her hood mysteriously, a bunch of them stepping out from the shadows, just annoyingly cliche and not on purpose
CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ
spix et chicho

Postby inspectorhound » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:13 am

Liked this better than the original

Solid 4/5 stars

Robin Wright was sickass
inspectorhound

Postby john penis » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:19 am

u cray for that one hound
Dr. Norm Thagard wrote:You have truly outside yourself
john penis
ok

Postby mites » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:05 am

spix et chicho wrote:i just think it could have been handled in a less hackneyed way. the leader lowering her hood mysteriously, a bunch of them stepping out from the shadows, just annoyingly cliche and not on purpose

It made me laff and think of the matrix and then it’s all “lol yr not neo lol”
mites

Postby traced out » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:06 am

my impression was the first 90 minutes or so were basically perfect sci-fi, but it basically exists in a different universe from blade runner. way heavier on traditional sci-fi than i expected. it was also more of a mystery story than a noir story, which is an important distinction.

the end was bad and generic, but w/e. big lols @ the degeneration of the villainess into a cartoon character instead of doing anything with her psychology.
traced out

Postby traced out » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:13 am

i was fine with ford but it was disgusting that we were subjected to this long fight paying homage to deckard the man when he was a fuckin wimp with a gun that got trucked by literally everyone
traced out

Postby south pacific » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:22 am

I like how the movie has a lot of layers and still has some unanswered questions. It keeps the mystique intact from the original where the ending is open-ended and subject to interpretation.

There are some biblical references throughout the film. Someone mentioned that Leto's character was quoting biblical scripture and is being compared by some to the Egyptian pharaoh who would not let his people (originally Israelite slaves) go. Even his building is similar to the shape of a pyramid.

Also its no accident that the replicant that gave birth is named Rachel.

Rachel's son, Joseph, was destined to be the leader of Israel's tribes (replicants) between exile and nationhood.

I think that Deckard is human and not a replicant, which is insinuated in the first movie and never made clear in the second.

The soundtrack is fantastic. Hanz Zimmer helped make the flight scenes so compelling with his music.

I hope it doesn't take another 35 years for another sequel.
went to the theatre for the tickle contest
south pacific

Postby Architecture » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:30 am

I really enjoyed this, way more than I expected to

The film has some structural problems and the way it represents women is pretty tonedeaf, but I'm glad I saw this in a theater and not just on an HDTV

Think I might prefer this to the original
try the data then reply
Architecture
ok

Postby internethandle » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:15 am

my hot take is arrival is better than this

welp see ya later
internethandle
ok

Postby saranclaps » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:13 am

internethandle wrote:my hot take is arrival is better than this

welp see ya later
I don't think this is a hot take? Arrival is definitely a better, more purposeful and singular film.
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening
saranclaps

Postby trope » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:22 am

whatabout tim wrote:
nite69 wrote:she also says something about trees when she sees it, which means she could just be amazed by the real wood? that line actually makes things very confusing now that im considering it, because my assumption was definitely that she had the memory as well

Yea, I ended up seeing the movie yesterday on account of the weather and I am pretty sure she was so infatuated with it because it was made with real wood. Seemed like a follow up to her original comment regarding never seeing trees.

The real wood thing was a bit weird. In the scene where he gets the guy to analyse it the guy makes a big deal about how rich he is cos it's real wood. And here Bautista's making a living scooping maggots out of sewage when he's got a whole damn tree in his yard.
trope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhZTNgAs4Fc

Postby blurst of times » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:12 pm

so i saw this on opening night, but i was too sleepy that night to really make a fair assessment of it (and i think i dozed off for 10-15 minutes in the middle). i finally saw it again last night, and i liked it much more this time. the pacing frustrated me the first time, but now i think the slow burn approach suits this movie v well. it takes its time developing its world and fleshing out details, and it ends up feeling really lived in and convincing.

stuff i didn't like: leto and luv were too cartoonish as villains. one of the cool things about the original is that your sympathy is divided between deckard and batty (and maybe even explicitly in favor of the replicants), but here you never get much of a sense of luv's motivation. she mostly seems to exist because they needed an antagonist. similarly, the final battle scene felt too much like a generic blockbuster finale, whereas the rest of the movie mostly avoided falling into that trap.

anyway, i think i'd give this a solid b+ overall
Last edited by blurst of times on Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blurst of times
ride.

Postby blurst of times » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:14 pm

also, it was fun seeing this in a basically empty theater. really heightened the post-apocalyptic vibes
blurst of times
ride.

Postby spix et chicho » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:18 pm

spix et chicho

Previous

Return to Free-For-All