Ryan Gosling IS Blade Runner

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby Dead_Wizard » Mon May 08, 2017 10:05 pm

antoine wrote:Have all the good movies been made already and basically we're just recycling them endlessly at this point?

cinema is a data driven enterprise these days
Dead_Wizard

Postby chairkicker » Mon May 08, 2017 10:29 pm

OKterrific wrote:he said something to the effect of Nolan not being afraid to use big heavy droplets but Fincher didn't have the concviction to go that far

isn't batman begins the only time rain has ever been in a nolan film? i don't remember any particularly big heavy droplets
chairkicker

Postby goofysdeadwife69 » Mon May 08, 2017 10:33 pm

Dead_Wizard wrote:
antoine wrote:Have all the good movies been made already and basically we're just recycling them endlessly at this point?

cinema is a data driven enterprise these days

i think this is probably what's getting me peeved abt this film when i usually don't care about reboots/franchise revivals either way.

there are like a million cool ways you could continue the spirit of the original film but this feels depressingly cynical and focus tested despite being helmed by an ostensible auteur (i haven't seen any villeneuve films & don't really plan on it.)
goofysdeadwife69
Was Raised Christian

Location: GIVE :CLAP: YOUR :CLAP: MONEY :CLAP: TO :CLAP: LIMP :CLAP: DICK :CLAP: SISSIES :CLAP:

Postby blurst of times » Mon May 08, 2017 10:36 pm

i thought the av club did a pretty even-handed assessment of the new trailer: http://www.avclub.com/article/what-was-our-blush-response-blade-runner-2049-trai-254974

i do worry about its over-emphasis on plot and action, but i hope that those aspects are being exaggerated for the trailer, to appeal to people who might not care about blade runner otherwise. if nothing else, i think it looks great visually, but we'll see if they nail the rest
blurst of times
ride.

Postby Marcus » Mon May 08, 2017 11:17 pm

chairkicker wrote:
OKterrific wrote:he said something to the effect of Nolan not being afraid to use big heavy droplets but Fincher didn't have the concviction to go that far

isn't batman begins the only time rain has ever been in a nolan film? i don't remember any particularly big heavy droplets

Inception when they're in that van or w/e, I think?
Marcus

Postby Marcus » Mon May 08, 2017 11:17 pm

Poptone wrote:nah paul verhoeven's still alive and making films

Hell yeah
Marcus

Postby Magazine » Mon May 08, 2017 11:20 pm

spix et chicho wrote:Harrison Ford looked disgusting—nipples protruding—in his grey shirt in the Blade Runner trailer. Very very disrespectful.

:lol:
Magazine

Postby chairkicker » Tue May 09, 2017 12:17 am

Marcus wrote:
chairkicker wrote:

Inception when they're in that van or w/e, I think?

oh yeah. that whole first dream level was raining cuz dude had to pee
chairkicker

Postby ihateoutdoors » Tue May 09, 2017 12:18 am

i like the music so far :)
ihateoutdoors

Postby pantsoclock » Tue May 09, 2017 4:23 am

I can't imagine this is going to excite me insomuch as Blade Runner does feel like it comes out of nowhere to coalesce into a perfect atmospheric statement. There's not really a "Blade Runner" throughline to take forward into a sequel. There's no "universe."
The noir tone of it is perfect that way. Chandler's plots were never much more than a maze to drag Marlowe through the sordid dehumanization of industrial civilization, and Blade Runner takes that to a heightened place. Visually, it's incredibly claustrophobic. The characters huddle in small areas of light and darkness. Vangelis' score is perfect here in that he has such a prog rock understanding of humanism and despite how gorgeous and sprawling it is, the technological underpinnings are so obvious, the DX-7 is so brassy, there's something genuinely oppressive and weighted about it.

All that is to say, I wonder if our confidence with technology or simply an overall shift in the realm of what we consider depersonalizing about technology makes it difficult to make something that would even be a tonal sequel to Blade Runner now.
I pay tax to help pay for things like police..fire..parks..but it goes to Ferguson like people and foreigners who are scamming our stupid government that is full of pasta thieves like this guy
pantsoclock

Postby Milk » Tue May 09, 2017 7:29 am

Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:
Milk wrote: It doesn't help that they cast two of the most hateable actors of all time in Gosling and Leto.

how are you so goddamn wrong about every single thing? it's astonishing.

And yet i am quite assured i am right about everything. This is what makes me so particularly annoying. The more i'm told i'm wrong the more i KNOW i'm right. I think outside of sex and food being told i'm wrong and especially having people get kinda hot about it is probably the most pleasurable thing i can think of.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby goofysdeadwife69 » Tue May 09, 2017 7:33 am

I want more life.
goofysdeadwife69
Was Raised Christian

Location: GIVE :CLAP: YOUR :CLAP: MONEY :CLAP: TO :CLAP: LIMP :CLAP: DICK :CLAP: SISSIES :CLAP:

Postby walt whitman » Tue May 09, 2017 8:06 am

pantsoclock wrote:
All that is to say, I wonder if our confidence with technology or simply an overall shift in the realm of what we consider depersonalizing about technology makes it difficult to make something that would even be a tonal sequel to Blade Runner now.

No.
walt whitman

Postby Magazine » Tue May 09, 2017 8:06 am

pantsoclock wrote:I can't imagine this is going to excite me insomuch as Blade Runner does feel like it comes out of nowhere to coalesce into a perfect atmospheric statement. There's not really a "Blade Runner" throughline to take forward into a sequel. There's no "universe."
The noir tone of it is perfect that way. Chandler's plots were never much more than a maze to drag Marlowe through the sordid dehumanization of industrial civilization, and Blade Runner takes that to a heightened place. Visually, it's incredibly claustrophobic. The characters huddle in small areas of light and darkness. Vangelis' score is perfect here in that he has such a prog rock understanding of humanism and despite how gorgeous and sprawling it is, the technological underpinnings are so obvious, the DX-7 is so brassy, there's something genuinely oppressive and weighted about it.

Yamaha CS-80 (or some similar Yamaha synth). That's definitely not a DX-7 sound.
Magazine

Postby walt whitman » Tue May 09, 2017 8:13 am

The thought of living in a world where it's impossible to distinguish real from fake will always be terrifying and timeless
walt whitman

Postby pantsoclock » Tue May 09, 2017 10:24 am

Magazine wrote:Yamaha CS-80 (or some similar Yamaha synth). That's definitely not a DX-7 sound.

Dang really? Of all people I'll have to take your word for it.

Edit: the dx7 wasn't even made until the year after blade runner came out so shows what I know.
I pay tax to help pay for things like police..fire..parks..but it goes to Ferguson like people and foreigners who are scamming our stupid government that is full of pasta thieves like this guy
pantsoclock

Postby Magazine » Tue May 09, 2017 10:58 am

pantsoclock wrote:
Magazine wrote:Yamaha CS-80 (or some similar Yamaha synth). That's definitely not a DX-7 sound.

Dang really? Of all people I'll have to take your word for it.

Edit: the dx7 wasn't even made until the year after blade runner came out so shows what I know.

I remember reading an Alex Frankel (Holy Ghost!) interview where he said the just got a CS-80. Wtf? Those things are crazy expensive. Checking discogs now, the last album also had a Jupiter 8...
Magazine

Postby Magazine » Tue May 09, 2017 10:59 am

Also, sorry for focusing on the least important part of your post!
Magazine

Postby Marcus » Tue May 09, 2017 11:52 am

Also where's the voight kampff in this

They're gonna leave that out aren't they
Marcus

Postby walt whitman » Tue May 09, 2017 12:04 pm

no way audiences would believe Gosling passing the voight kampff
walt whitman

Postby delgriffith » Tue May 09, 2017 12:08 pm

Marcus wrote:Also where's the voight kampff in this

I don't want to rewatch the trailer but I remember thinking there was something towards the end that implied it? Might have been projection.
delgriffith

Postby sigmonrunner » Tue May 09, 2017 1:11 pm

maybe voight kampff is now an app...
sigmonrunner

Postby blurst of times » Tue May 09, 2017 1:13 pm

when gosling says to deckard, 'i have some questions i want to ask you' or whatever, i thought it might've been implying a voight-kampff test
blurst of times
ride.

Postby palmer eldritch » Tue May 09, 2017 1:32 pm

Marcus wrote:Also where's the voight kampff in this

it's been 30 years
palmer eldritch

Postby Marcus » Tue May 09, 2017 1:51 pm

I guess I'm curious how it will be used, if it'll be wink-wink voight kampff inspired or if it's full on "hey Deckard, sit down i've got some questions designed to provoke an emotional response"
Marcus

Postby walt whitman » Tue May 09, 2017 1:59 pm

probably shouldnt hold breath for any subtlety re making allusions to the original
walt whitman

Postby Marcus » Tue May 09, 2017 2:00 pm

good point
Marcus

Postby Marcus » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:40 am

Marcus

Postby reversemigraine » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:44 am

"It was a pleasure getting back to the world of Blade Runner again," he said, reading the cue card.
reversemigraine

Postby mellowgold » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:57 am

wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.
mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All