Ryan Gosling IS Blade Runner

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby Dead_Wizard » Mon May 08, 2017 10:05 pm

antoine wrote:Have all the good movies been made already and basically we're just recycling them endlessly at this point?


cinema is a data driven enterprise these days
User avatar
Dead_Wizard
 
Posts: 6253
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:45 pm

Postby chairkicker » Mon May 08, 2017 10:29 pm

OKterrific wrote:he said something to the effect of Nolan not being afraid to use big heavy droplets but Fincher didn't have the concviction to go that far

isn't batman begins the only time rain has ever been in a nolan film? i don't remember any particularly big heavy droplets
User avatar
chairkicker
 
Posts: 22761
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:13 pm
Location: the swamp years

Postby goofysdeadwife69 » Mon May 08, 2017 10:33 pm

Dead_Wizard wrote:
antoine wrote:Have all the good movies been made already and basically we're just recycling them endlessly at this point?


cinema is a data driven enterprise these days


i think this is probably what's getting me peeved abt this film when i usually don't care about reboots/franchise revivals either way.

there are like a million cool ways you could continue the spirit of the original film but this feels depressingly cynical and focus tested despite being helmed by an ostensible auteur (i haven't seen any villeneuve films & don't really plan on it.)
User avatar
goofysdeadwife69
Was Raised Christian
 
Posts: 20449
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:38 pm
Location: GIVE :CLAP: YOUR :CLAP: MONEY :CLAP: TO :CLAP: LIMP :CLAP: DICK :CLAP: SISSIES :CLAP:

Postby blurst of times » Mon May 08, 2017 10:36 pm

i thought the av club did a pretty even-handed assessment of the new trailer: http://www.avclub.com/article/what-was-our-blush-response-blade-runner-2049-trai-254974

i do worry about its over-emphasis on plot and action, but i hope that those aspects are being exaggerated for the trailer, to appeal to people who might not care about blade runner otherwise. if nothing else, i think it looks great visually, but we'll see if they nail the rest
User avatar
blurst of times
ride.
 
Posts: 7460
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:06 pm

Postby Marcus » Mon May 08, 2017 11:17 pm

chairkicker wrote:
OKterrific wrote:he said something to the effect of Nolan not being afraid to use big heavy droplets but Fincher didn't have the concviction to go that far

isn't batman begins the only time rain has ever been in a nolan film? i don't remember any particularly big heavy droplets


Inception when they're in that van or w/e, I think?
User avatar
Marcus
 
Posts: 10274
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: CLE

Postby Marcus » Mon May 08, 2017 11:17 pm

Poptone wrote:nah paul verhoeven's still alive and making films


Hell yeah
User avatar
Marcus
 
Posts: 10274
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: CLE

Postby Magazine » Mon May 08, 2017 11:20 pm

spix et chicho wrote:Harrison Ford looked disgusting—nipples protruding—in his grey shirt in the Blade Runner trailer. Very very disrespectful.


:lol:
User avatar
Magazine
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:36 pm

Postby chairkicker » Tue May 09, 2017 12:17 am

Marcus wrote:
chairkicker wrote:
OKterrific wrote:he said something to the effect of Nolan not being afraid to use big heavy droplets but Fincher didn't have the concviction to go that far

isn't batman begins the only time rain has ever been in a nolan film? i don't remember any particularly big heavy droplets


Inception when they're in that van or w/e, I think?

oh yeah. that whole first dream level was raining cuz dude had to pee
User avatar
chairkicker
 
Posts: 22761
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:13 pm
Location: the swamp years

Postby ihateoutdoors » Tue May 09, 2017 12:18 am

i like the music so far :)
User avatar
ihateoutdoors
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 8:01 pm
Location: ancient alien burial ground

Postby pantsoclock » Tue May 09, 2017 4:23 am

I can't imagine this is going to excite me insomuch as Blade Runner does feel like it comes out of nowhere to coalesce into a perfect atmospheric statement. There's not really a "Blade Runner" throughline to take forward into a sequel. There's no "universe."
The noir tone of it is perfect that way. Chandler's plots were never much more than a maze to drag Marlowe through the sordid dehumanization of industrial civilization, and Blade Runner takes that to a heightened place. Visually, it's incredibly claustrophobic. The characters huddle in small areas of light and darkness. Vangelis' score is perfect here in that he has such a prog rock understanding of humanism and despite how gorgeous and sprawling it is, the technological underpinnings are so obvious, the DX-7 is so brassy, there's something genuinely oppressive and weighted about it.

All that is to say, I wonder if our confidence with technology or simply an overall shift in the realm of what we consider depersonalizing about technology makes it difficult to make something that would even be a tonal sequel to Blade Runner now.
I pay tax to help pay for things like police..fire..parks..but it goes to Ferguson like people and foreigners who are scamming our stupid government that is full of pasta thieves like this guy
User avatar
pantsoclock
 
Posts: 4316
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:18 pm

Postby Milk » Tue May 09, 2017 7:29 am

Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:
Milk wrote: It doesn't help that they cast two of the most hateable actors of all time in Gosling and Leto.


how are you so goddamn wrong about every single thing? it's astonishing.



And yet i am quite assured i am right about everything. This is what makes me so particularly annoying. The more i'm told i'm wrong the more i KNOW i'm right. I think outside of sex and food being told i'm wrong and especially having people get kinda hot about it is probably the most pleasurable thing i can think of.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
User avatar
Milk
 
Posts: 6666
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:56 am
Location: Shut the fuck up Milk

Postby goofysdeadwife69 » Tue May 09, 2017 7:33 am

I want more life.
User avatar
goofysdeadwife69
Was Raised Christian
 
Posts: 20449
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:38 pm
Location: GIVE :CLAP: YOUR :CLAP: MONEY :CLAP: TO :CLAP: LIMP :CLAP: DICK :CLAP: SISSIES :CLAP:

Postby walt whitman » Tue May 09, 2017 8:06 am

pantsoclock wrote:
All that is to say, I wonder if our confidence with technology or simply an overall shift in the realm of what we consider depersonalizing about technology makes it difficult to make something that would even be a tonal sequel to Blade Runner now.

No.
User avatar
walt whitman
 
Posts: 3473
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:26 pm
Location: pitt

Postby Magazine » Tue May 09, 2017 8:06 am

pantsoclock wrote:I can't imagine this is going to excite me insomuch as Blade Runner does feel like it comes out of nowhere to coalesce into a perfect atmospheric statement. There's not really a "Blade Runner" throughline to take forward into a sequel. There's no "universe."
The noir tone of it is perfect that way. Chandler's plots were never much more than a maze to drag Marlowe through the sordid dehumanization of industrial civilization, and Blade Runner takes that to a heightened place. Visually, it's incredibly claustrophobic. The characters huddle in small areas of light and darkness. Vangelis' score is perfect here in that he has such a prog rock understanding of humanism and despite how gorgeous and sprawling it is, the technological underpinnings are so obvious, the DX-7 is so brassy, there's something genuinely oppressive and weighted about it.

All that is to say, I wonder if our confidence with technology or simply an overall shift in the realm of what we consider depersonalizing about technology makes it difficult to make something that would even be a tonal sequel to Blade Runner now.


Yamaha CS-80 (or some similar Yamaha synth). That's definitely not a DX-7 sound.
User avatar
Magazine
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:36 pm

Postby walt whitman » Tue May 09, 2017 8:13 am

The thought of living in a world where it's impossible to distinguish real from fake will always be terrifying and timeless
User avatar
walt whitman
 
Posts: 3473
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:26 pm
Location: pitt

Postby pantsoclock » Tue May 09, 2017 10:24 am

Magazine wrote:Yamaha CS-80 (or some similar Yamaha synth). That's definitely not a DX-7 sound.

Dang really? Of all people I'll have to take your word for it.

Edit: the dx7 wasn't even made until the year after blade runner came out so shows what I know.
I pay tax to help pay for things like police..fire..parks..but it goes to Ferguson like people and foreigners who are scamming our stupid government that is full of pasta thieves like this guy
User avatar
pantsoclock
 
Posts: 4316
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:18 pm

Postby Magazine » Tue May 09, 2017 10:58 am

pantsoclock wrote:
Magazine wrote:Yamaha CS-80 (or some similar Yamaha synth). That's definitely not a DX-7 sound.

Dang really? Of all people I'll have to take your word for it.

Edit: the dx7 wasn't even made until the year after blade runner came out so shows what I know.


I remember reading an Alex Frankel (Holy Ghost!) interview where he said the just got a CS-80. Wtf? Those things are crazy expensive. Checking discogs now, the last album also had a Jupiter 8...
User avatar
Magazine
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:36 pm

Postby Magazine » Tue May 09, 2017 10:59 am

Also, sorry for focusing on the least important part of your post!
User avatar
Magazine
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:36 pm

Postby Marcus » Tue May 09, 2017 11:52 am

Also where's the voight kampff in this

They're gonna leave that out aren't they
User avatar
Marcus
 
Posts: 10274
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: CLE

Postby walt whitman » Tue May 09, 2017 12:04 pm

no way audiences would believe Gosling passing the voight kampff
User avatar
walt whitman
 
Posts: 3473
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:26 pm
Location: pitt

Postby delgriffith » Tue May 09, 2017 12:08 pm

Marcus wrote:Also where's the voight kampff in this

They're gonna leave that out aren't they

I don't want to rewatch the trailer but I remember thinking there was something towards the end that implied it? Might have been projection.
User avatar
delgriffith
 
Posts: 93359
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:26 pm

Postby sigmonrunner » Tue May 09, 2017 1:11 pm

maybe voight kampff is now an app...
User avatar
sigmonrunner
 
Posts: 1364
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 7:46 am

Postby blurst of times » Tue May 09, 2017 1:13 pm

when gosling says to deckard, 'i have some questions i want to ask you' or whatever, i thought it might've been implying a voight-kampff test
User avatar
blurst of times
ride.
 
Posts: 7460
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:06 pm

Postby palmer eldritch » Tue May 09, 2017 1:32 pm

Marcus wrote:Also where's the voight kampff in this

They're gonna leave that out aren't they


it's been 30 years
User avatar
palmer eldritch
 
Posts: 24292
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:41 pm

Postby Marcus » Tue May 09, 2017 1:51 pm

I guess I'm curious how it will be used, if it'll be wink-wink voight kampff inspired or if it's full on "hey Deckard, sit down i've got some questions designed to provoke an emotional response"
User avatar
Marcus
 
Posts: 10274
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: CLE

Postby walt whitman » Tue May 09, 2017 1:59 pm

probably shouldnt hold breath for any subtlety re making allusions to the original
User avatar
walt whitman
 
Posts: 3473
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:26 pm
Location: pitt

Postby Marcus » Tue May 09, 2017 2:00 pm

good point
User avatar
Marcus
 
Posts: 10274
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: CLE

Postby Marcus » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:40 am

User avatar
Marcus
 
Posts: 10274
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: CLE

Postby reversemigraine » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:44 am

"It was a pleasure getting back to the world of Blade Runner again," he said, reading the cue card.
reversemigraine
 
Posts: 9957
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:40 pm

Postby mellowgold » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:57 am

wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.
User avatar
mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb
 
Posts: 10217
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:25 pm
Location: 0 feet away

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alonso, Annie May, ashtrayheart, BanEmAll Collective, banquo, Bartatua, Barthes Starr, beefbroth inthe shitpipes, benj, Buddy Glass, butanebob, camping, chad, Cone, Dead_Wizard, Dr. Norm Thagard, dragon jeans, draw, dreamshake, easy, edgeev, Egads, endless dave, Enemy Ace, Eyeball Kid, father of two, Feech La Manna, FourLegsGood, freezinseason, freshweed, furrowed brow, gambra, gashed, GonzO))), goofjan grievens, goofysdeadwife69, Google [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, Grendel, guidance, Hal Jordan, hbb, hiddenicon, hideout, hogwild, hyperbole man, inspectorhound, joe, Jsn, Julius Sumner Miller, Klint, Kwisatz Haderach, landspeedrecord, Link, marble, mattstan, mchamartin, meld, Melville, Merlin, Mesh, mesic, messier object, moses, mutism, Naphil, naturemorte, nautical hyperblast, nocents, nucho privet, number none, object, palmer eldritch, Pashmina, Phil, port, pretty yeoman, Prof. Horatio Hufnagel, PublixUltimate, Quigley, rex, rich uncle skeleton, ScaredGopher, Seamus, sevenarts, shirts optional, shred igniter, Smerdyakov, son of chucky, surly, tea preacher, The Good Jugdish, Tom Cruise, trope, waldojeffers1, wario lopez, worrywort, Yahoo [Bot]