Ryan Gosling IS Blade Runner

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby delgriffith » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:16 am

I agree normally, but that's why I think the term is appropriate here.
delgriffith

Postby reversemigraine » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:14 am

I loved this, but it's weird that the one shot that sticks with me more than anything else is Robin Wright's head bouncing off the desk.
reversemigraine

Postby reversemigraine » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:18 am

I'm reading Future Noir right now, and I'm kind of amazed how much I didn't know about the early stages of optioning Blade Runner.

Like, the dad from Flipper was one of the executive producers?
reversemigraine

Postby kirito » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:45 pm

palms wrote:This was ok. Everyone I've spoken to whether they liked the movie or not has mentioned how badass the soundtrack was so that's going to be my takeaway. That and the sex scene

mesa and furnace are so fucking good
I love social media, I love fitness and I love photography
kirito

Postby Jake SPEED » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:34 pm

Great movie that was fighting to carry the weight of the original. I liked Joi and gosling was fine. I loved the holographic Elvis shootout. But I would have been happier just cruising around in the spinner over the landscape, checking out San Diego, the tide wall, the solar arrays etc. and getting a better sense of the structure of society and the geography with no dialogue or plot, chilling with Zimmer.
Jake SPEED

Postby Jake SPEED » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:49 pm

I want to see thousands of miles of solar arrays over the deserted flatland of middle America. I want to see the supply chain for the grubs at the protein farm and how they are produced, processed, distributed and consumed. I want to know what the daily life of LA inhabitants who aren’t police officers looks like. We got a few well-designed images but no sense of the social structure writ large.

There was more world building in the two 1 minute scenes in T1– robot tank crushing skulls and dogs barking at terminator disguised in tattered clothes infiltrating the underground bunker— than in this entire movie.
Jake SPEED

Postby Jimmy Firecracker » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:22 pm

fuvk you losers this movie is shit and im mad it was made
Jimmy Firecracker

Postby kirito » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:40 pm

that's the consensus in this thread
kirito

Postby john penis » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:00 am

do you long for having your heart interlinked? interlinked.

define ‘consensus’. interlinked.
Dr. Norm Thagard wrote:You have truly outside yourself
john penis
ok

Postby tricksforchips » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:18 am

Every day I like this movie less and less.

Not a good film. Unimportant and unnecessary.
tricksforchips

Postby john penis » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:18 am

Seamus wrote:
shizaam wrote:have we talked about how the scale on the missile strike in san diego seems completely off? it'd be one thing if it was just a couple dudes, but it's instead the scavenger army out for one guy, and a full-on war scene.

such a dumb scene on so many levels. Air to ground missiles are completely out of whack with this and the original movie, it gave away that Gosling was being followed which he paid zero attention to, no mention is giving to the dead scavengers when he enters the orphanage, no mention is given to his ruined vehicle and how he gets out of thereToggle Spoiler

this made perfect sense to me. my assumption was that some sort of tactical drone defense net is ubiquitous, particularly in the incivilized wastelands. these dudes were just hanging out with a grappling hook waiting for an aircraft to shoot down, I don’t think a missile barrage is a real out-of-the-ordinary event for them. seems like an appropriate update on the sort of ubiquitous, incontestable state control you see in the original, which looked like flying cars, searchlights and massive machinery roaming the streets in the language of its time; now it’s fleshed out with bunkerbusters and k’s hovering watchdogToggle Spoiler
john penis
ok

Postby Grey Poupon » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:30 am

forgetting all Seamus' complaints, which being an apologist for this film I'm apt to do, without looking at it too closely I mentioned earlier in the thread I really dug that scene, because it was so brutal and butchery and a technicolor presentation of what is happening daily(?) in warzones with drones etc. but we're only used to seeing it through black and white IR cam

I dunno it struck me, the cold brutality of it, anyway

but yes I did wonder how he got home
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
Grey Poupon

Postby aububs » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:50 am

it was cool that his car was a peugeot
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby Grey Poupon » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:06 am

on cars,I think I felt more of a gutpunch when Deckard's spinner was exploded than when Joi got crunched

maybe because the Joi getting crunched thing had been telegraphed way early when he loaded her onto his USB stick
Toggle Spoiler

can we stop using spoiler tags now? it's been out a week? what's the Hipinion Spoiler Cutoff Consensus
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
Grey Poupon

Postby Brain Stew » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:32 am

I think after 50 pages people should expect spoilers.
You know, signatures are pretty night bus...
Brain Stew

Postby Daft Pun » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:39 am

Daft Pun

Postby giant_turtle » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:33 am

I find it odd that people feel like the sex scene was worth mentioning when it was the sex scene from Her, like, verbatim.

I guess it seems "cooler" in a violent drama than it does in a depressing rom-com?
giant_turtle

Postby kirito » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:58 am

john penis wrote:
Seamus wrote:
shizaam wrote:have we talked about how the scale on the missile strike in san diego seems completely off? it'd be one thing if it was just a couple dudes, but it's instead the scavenger army out for one guy, and a full-on war scene.

such a dumb scene on so many levels. Air to ground missiles are completely out of whack with this and the original movie, it gave away that Gosling was being followed which he paid zero attention to, no mention is giving to the dead scavengers when he enters the orphanage, no mention is given to his ruined vehicle and how he gets out of thereToggle Spoiler

this made perfect sense to me. my assumption was that some sort of tactical drone defense net is ubiquitous, particularly in the incivilized wastelands. these dudes were just hanging out with a grappling hook waiting for an aircraft to shoot down, I don’t think a missile barrage is a real out-of-the-ordinary event for them. seems like an appropriate update on the sort of ubiquitous, incontestable state control you see in the original, which looked like flying cars, searchlights and massive machinery roaming the streets in the language of its time; now it’s fleshed out with bunkerbusters and k’s hovering watchdogToggle Spoiler

the harpoon deploying into a giant kite to attract a bolt of lightning to ben franklin ryan's ass out of the sky was one of the best parts of this
kirito

Postby delgriffith » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:07 am

This should have played during the sex scene and also they should have danced
delgriffith

Postby incoherent grunting » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:31 am

i maintain that the best part of this was when the water came out of the damn

or maybe when that car flew past a monolithic cement pyramid while the soundtrack went "WRRRNNNNGGGGHHHHHNNNNGGGGGGGNNNNNNN"
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
incoherent grunting

Postby dcm » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:52 pm

giant_turtle wrote:I find it odd that people feel like the sex scene was worth mentioning when it was the sex scene from Her, like, verbatim.

I guess it seems "cooler" in a violent drama than it does in a depressing rom-com?

I think it's more interesting because K is a replicant and the scene places a much greater emphasis on the visual overlay. Also don't think there is anything odd about valuing execution over originality sometimes.
dcm

Postby john penis » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:00 pm

I don't remember any visually arresting sex scene which was a landmark argument for the artistic credentials of CGI in 'her'
john penis
ok

Postby antoine » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:27 pm

How is a scene a sex scene if theres no sex occurring
trouble wrote:when you are gonna get married and shopping around
take a minute a think about the posts that were made by antoine
antoine

Postby antoine » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:28 pm

Onscreen
antoine

Postby delgriffith » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:29 pm

Very carefully.
delgriffith

Postby surly » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:32 pm

antoine really wanted to see fucking
lordofdiapers wrote:damn it Greedo will forever fuck that word for me
surly
the insult bastard

Postby antoine » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:37 pm

I didnt but it's just weird to call it "the sex scene". How about "the suggestive of sex scene" or "the foreplay scene" or "app and replicant makeout scene"
antoine

Postby theta » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:04 pm

surly wrote:antoine really wanted to see fucking

don’t act like you weren’t there for some cyborg-on-ai action bruh
Jeremy wrote:If you want a vision of the future, imagine a sarcastic serf - forever.
theta
Noted Futurist and Geo Metro Enthusiast

Postby gargamel » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:50 pm

saw this last night on a big beautiful screen

i thought it was a pretty dang good sci-fi movie if not considered the sequel to blade runner, which it was never going to approach. take out most of the third act, omit entirely the war between replicants and humans, take out harrison ford (who has, now, imo, tarnished all three of the roles that made him famous), get rid of that awful fucking zimmer score, and ya got a great-ish flick. it was definitely a much better than average popcorn movie that bungles the profundity of the original films themes and villaneuve is never going to do anything better than "leaner" /bro intellectual nolan fare now that he's shown he can be trusted with a budget. loved seeing snow in los angeles/climate disaster. loved seeing the wacky technology. loved gosling's baseline tests. this is definitely worth your twelve bucks if you like to see futuristic shit on a big screen and not be pandered to too much.

did anyone else think the set design was really good until ~las vegas, and then the lazy washes seemed like shitty takes on millenial pink. like i was watching hotline bling
gargamel

Postby nonchalant » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:50 pm

i wonder if this:

was supposed to be the buried-in-trash ruins of the san onofre power plant? its technically in san diego county

ImageImageImage
nonchalant

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All