Board Librarians

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby chowder julius » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:13 pm

i've always felt like the odd woman out professionally and kinda just socially for never caring all that much for harry potter

in other news here's this cool thing that i got @'d on https://twitter.com/hashtag/zluc it's a bunch of zine librarians who apparently had a conference i'm very sad i didn't know about!
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImagebuy me thingsImageImageImage
DRAGONS wrote:its not my job to engage u in debate until u feel good about ur horrific views

chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

Postby chowder julius » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:53 am

omg carla!!!
ImageImageImage
DRAGONS wrote:its not my job to engage u in debate until u feel good about ur horrific views

chowder julius

Postby Kenny » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:48 pm

I need to make the effort to get out of legal libraries and into academic/special collections
REAL NAME NO GIMMICKS Image

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:kenny, can't tell if you're joking or not
Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby chowder julius » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:26 am

i think law librarianship is my niche for better or worse. maybe i'll become a fed once the pressure gets to me. it already kind of is getting to me. but i keep telling myself if i can do x years in law firm librarianship in dc then i can go anywhere and do anything. this is also about the only librarian gig where i can think about transferring out of the country if that's something i want to do. we have librarians in london and brussels
ImageImageImage

chowder julius

Postby chowder julius » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:27 am

i had a really depressing realization about some litigation i was doing research on the other day which was v unsettling. law is evil
ImageImageImage

chowder julius

Postby Ted Pikul » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:27 am

Hey, I got a new job. Next month I start as an info lit librarian/health sciences liaison at a small university
http://pickleoffact.tumblr.com

inspectorhound wrote:You are the biggest sociopath on this board
Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby chowder julius » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:32 am

that's great pikul :) it's dope you get some time to plan beforehand
ImageImageImage

chowder julius

Postby Kenny » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:35 am

I worry that I'll miss the dynamism of legal libraries, and it's not that I hate the work. It's actually fine for the work I do, I just sort of want to be more in line with my ethical ideals for being a librarian

My feeling is that I'm not really inspired to go ABOVE and BEYOND and I know that's because I'll never love busting my ass for lawyers
Last edited by Kenny on Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby Kenny » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:39 am

chowder julius wrote:i had a really depressing realization about some litigation i was doing research on the other day which was v unsettling. law is evil

A few days after the Grenville Tower fire here in London (where hundreds of people were burned alive because they were poor and the people who put up side cladding on the building wanted to save money and so bought super flammable stuff and also didn't fix the building's sprkers) we were asked to buy a book about the flammability of cladding on tower blocks and i was like fuuuucckkk :? :? :? :shock: :shock: :shock: :evil: :evil: :evil:

But then a coworker said that it doesn't mean anything because they are probably just trying to get inforomation on it in case they can pitch for it, we don't have the client yet.

And then I was like "Oh so we are only PREPARING to maybe defend them..."

Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby chowder julius » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:40 am

i feel that petty. i'm definitely not transforming any lives for the better unless you count financial enrichment :( but i get a lot out of volunteering. and i can't support myself as a single person on public librarian wages, much less think about starting a family. i'll never have a better setup in terms of maternity leave/on-site childcare than i do here. so i'm stuck for another decade at least. at that point i'll be ready for admin if i decide to go into something else
ImageImageImage

chowder julius

Postby chowder julius » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:41 am

Kenny wrote:
chowder julius wrote:i had a really depressing realization about some litigation i was doing research on the other day which was v unsettling. law is evil

A few days after the Grenville Tower fire here in London (where hundreds of people were burned alive because they were poor and the people who put up side cladding on the building wanted to save money and so bought super flammable stuff and also didn't fix the building's sprkers) we were asked to buy a book about the flammability of cladding on tower blocks and i was like fuuuucckkk :? :? :? :shock: :shock: :shock: :evil: :evil: :evil:

But then a coworker said that it doesn't mean anything because they are probably just trying to get inforomation on it in case they can pitch for it, we don't have the client yet.

And then I was like "Oh so we are only PREPARING to maybe defend them..."

we represented donald trump :|
ImageImageImage

chowder julius

Postby Kenny » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:42 am

I've got a very pertinent PM coming your way

Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby chowder julius » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:11 am

in other news check out this very harrowing and relatable tweet

ImageImageImage

chowder julius

Postby Ted Pikul » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:48 am

Hey, higher education is ethically dubious as well

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby reversemigraine » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:08 am

chowder julius wrote:in other news check out this very harrowing and relatable tweet

I just stepped into a position that was last held by the same person for almost 40 years, so this hits really hard right now.
reversemigraine

Postby chowder julius » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:18 am

it is wild how bad librarians are at km. i like my new job and onboarding was good but it's nuts how many little hidden information silos there are lurking. apparently there's something called "the x-files" that i haven't seen but people keep talking about which are like, FAQs?? we have new co-directors/management (we recently merged and ppl took the opportunity to retire) and this is a big thing on their list which i'm very thrilled about. i think we're getting some kind of ticketing system that will hopefully include a knowledge base component. it's just like... how are librarians so unorganized!!!!!!
ImageImageImage

chowder julius

Postby chowder julius » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:21 am

my desk is pristine. i keep an ongoing to do list/work diary in a dedicated notebook. i have like no shit 40 outlook rules set up. i'm color coded to fuck. my paper files are extremely organized and i regularly weed stuff that has been hanging around for too long. i feel like i could have a panic attack working at some of the desks my coworkers inhabit
ImageImageImage

chowder julius

Postby Ted Pikul » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:26 am

one of my goals is have no paper files at all

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby chowder julius » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:31 am

my email volume is so overwhelming that sometimes it's easier for me to print and file something important than to do anything else to it. my flags are already a mess of things that are overdue
ImageImageImage

chowder julius

Postby Kenny » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:38 am

When I first started here (Hey, I also got my contract renewed on Friday btw) they kept everything in FOUR different spreadsheets so if you wanted to find if the firm had an account on some service or whatever you had to open 4 different excel spreadsheets to make sure you were beeing thorough. It drove me mental.

We also used to have a spreadsheet each for Online Resources, Journals, and Books invoices (NOT PAGES IN ONE SPREADSHEET EACH HAD THEIR OWN) and then you had to save the invoice as a scan in K&R>Financial>Year>Invoices>A-K (or whatever)

Now we have a new catalog system with a nice backend so we just save the invoices in the library record (behind the scenes) you're paying for so if you are looking for the invoice for a book you find that book and click orders etc. It's so much easier.

I think the problem with my current place is that a lot of people had been there for 10+ years (one for 22!) and they were really set in their ways. 2 years ago (a year before me) they got a new manager who is really trying to renovate the department in a good way but there's so many factions and like infighting where this person doesn't like that person who doesn't like this one.

Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby Kenny » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:40 am

I print out a lot of stuff but only keep it if it's active, it's good for me to have a physical reminder that something needs doing. I'll always forget a list on my computer or whatver but if I have an invoice on my desk I'll clock that it needs to be done

Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby reversemigraine » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:45 am

Zero Outlook rules. Everything goes into a single Archive folder once I'm done with it. I leave work every day with as close to a zero inbox as possible. All listservs are set to digest. I rely heavily on Outlook's search for digging up old messages -- too many projects and conversations overlap for granular categorizing to make much sense to me. At the end of each year all the archived messages go into a folder for that year (2017, for example) and my archive starts the new year fresh and empty.

Next actions and waiting fors are kept on a single notepad on my desk. All notes of all kinds go into a file folder throughout the week, and on Friday afternoons I condense the info worth keeping in a weekly roundup entry in Simplenote and chuck the paper in the recycling bin.

I do color-code the fuck out of Outlook calendar entries.

Absolutely no work mail or calendar syncing on my phone.
reversemigraine

Postby reversemigraine » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:47 am

I definitely have to print anything longer than a short email. I can only read articles if I print them. I refuse to write in books but I have to scribble and highlight over the stuff I print.
reversemigraine

Postby chowder julius » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:01 pm

reversemigraine wrote:I definitely have to print anything longer than a short email. I can only read articles if I print them. I refuse to write in books but I have to scribble and highlight over the stuff I print.

very relatable post. often i'll be asked to read thru briefs and find case citations and it's just much easier for me to print it and sit down with a highlighter and go thru it manually. i've also done proofreading work that benefits from this approach. plus i just kind of like that level of hyperfocus that poring over a paper document entails versus a pdf
ImageImageImage

chowder julius

Postby chowder julius » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:02 pm

i have to have work email on my phone :( but fortunately they pay for all my data in exchange!
ImageImageImage

chowder julius

Postby chowder julius » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:03 pm

the email situation is kind of pointless because we work from a shared research outlook email inbox and i can only get my personal inbox on my phone. but ok i'll take that free $30 a month
ImageImageImage

chowder julius

Postby chowder julius » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:03 pm

OH u guys will love this. i work with a man whose name sounds like MY CARDIGAN
ImageImageImage

chowder julius

Postby Kenny » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:04 pm

They give us all phones for work if we want em, I said I didn't want one till I was made permanent

Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby murderhorn » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:33 pm

does anyone in higher ed work with repositories? https://sparcopen.org/news/2017/elsevier-acquisition-highlights-the-need-for-community-based-scholarly-communication-infrastructure/#1 thisis a good read.

'open access' is basically the only area of growth in academic librarianship at least in the UK in my experience, based on all these access requirements that research councils and funders place on publicly funded research. like my job at a college is paid for partly out of grant funds the college gets for seeing to these responsibilities. and it's all commendable as a goal and ideal but the result of these open access rules and of the way funding is made available to support it all is basically the research councils give money to UK universities to give to Elsevier/Wiley/Springer to publish articles with a CC licence.

and in addition to that really basic shakedown Elsevier sells the solution to every problem created by these new-ish funding and reporting requirements. Pure their research management software costs like 200k to keep track of money and outputs. and if you don't use this stuff and wanna do it yourself with something open source that started as some pet project at Berkeley or something then you can kind of expect that if that way of doing things gains any sort of critical mass that Elsevier will just buy whatever company that was created out of some library/IT/CS department project once upon a time to develop and service a 'community' based solution to sharing research without having to involve publishing monopolies.

this company has its hooks in literally every aspect of academic publishing and beyond. no matter your morals if you work in a library that serves a life sciences department you are buying journals from Elsevier, and also paying money to Elsevier so your research staff can publish in those journals. and your students are using Mendeley to save the articles and cite them in their own papers. and it ends there only if you manage to avoid paying Elsevier for Pure to keep track of the money you're paying them, or for Scopus to track the impact of the research you've paid Elsevier to publish and for which you pay them again to let your students access it.
murderhorn

Postby reversemigraine » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:50 pm

We were THIS close to breaking our Elsevier contract this fall due to massive cuts in our collections budget. Got word late last week that the provost is bailing us out, but I think a lot of us were quietly hoping it would happen.

It drives me nuts that the biggest OA cheerleaders I know are also Mendeley fans.
reversemigraine

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All