Board Librarians

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby chowder julius » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:21 pm

did yall see there's a new wiseman doc about the nypl?

three hour wiseman doc about libraries??? fuck me UP
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImagebuy me thingsImageImageImage
DRAGONS wrote:its not my job to engage u in debate until u feel good about ur horrific views

chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

Postby murderhorn » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:52 am

reversemigraine wrote:We were THIS close to breaking our Elsevier contract this fall due to massive cuts in our collections budget. Got word late last week that the provost is bailing us out, but I think a lot of us were quietly hoping it would happen.

I have like no budget influence at all at work but I got some satisfaction earlier this year out of making a case against buying a Scopus subscription. at some point we will have one I'm sure because the research assessment exercises that HE institutions have to submit to usea Field Weighted Citation Impact as one of its metrics to determine research impact and this is basically a proprietary metric owned by Elsevier.

reversemigraine wrote:It drives me nuts that the biggest OA cheerleaders I know are also Mendeley fans.

tell me about it. my college has an Endnote site licence and I have to schedule all these tutorials in the Fall teaching undergrads how to use it, and these mostly turn out to be nightmares cuz most everyone hates Endnote. it's so difficult to not just tell them to use Mendeley instead but i hate everything that acquisition represents. I went to an open day at Mendeley the year after Elsevier bought them and moved them into their corporate office and they were so assuring that nothing has changed, we're still the same startup we just got a bunch more money to invest in development.
murderhorn

Postby murderhorn » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:00 am

Wiseman doc is playing here in October, thanks for the heads up!
murderhorn

Postby chowder julius » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:33 am

does bypassing elsevier to buy an article directly from the publication make any difference? we purchase lots of life sciences articles at cost from elsevier/sciencedirect. we have like no muscle to flex because we're a law firm with a relatively small life sciences practice in comparison to the sorts of university licensing they do. but if it matters on some small scale i'd like to find a better solution
ImageImageImage
DRAGONS wrote:its not my job to engage u in debate until u feel good about ur horrific views

chowder julius

Postby reversemigraine » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:09 am

The problem there is that, in many cases, Elsevier is the actual publisher for those individual peridoicals, and not just the vendor managing the database through which you'd typically gain access to those periodicals' articles. They're not just the distro -- they're the actual label itself.
reversemigraine

Postby reversemigraine » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:22 am

Would love to see some faculty squirm over this.

In a recently published paper, Justin Flatt and his two co-authors proposed the creation of the Self-Citation Index, or s-index. The purpose of the s-index would be to measure how often a scientist cites their own work. This is desirable the authors believe because current incentive systems tend to encourage researchers to cite their own works excessively.

In other words, since the number of citations a researcher’s works receive enhances his/her reputation there is a temptation to add superfluous self-citations to articles. This boosts the authors’ h-index – the author-level metric now widely used as a measure of researcher productivity.

Amongst other things, excessive self-citation gives those who engage in it an unfair advantage over more principled researchers, an advantage moreover that grows over time: a 2007 paper estimated that every self-citation increases the number of citations from others by about one after one year, and by about three after five years. This creates unjustified differences in researcher profiles.

Since women self-cite less frequently than men, they are put at a particular disadvantage. A 2006 paper found that men are between 50 and 70 per cent more likely than women to cite their own work.

However, any plans to create and manage a researcher-led s-index face a practical challenge: much of the data that would be needed to do so are currently imprisoned behind paywalls – notably behind the paywalls of the Web of Science and Scopus.

More here: http://poynder.blogspot.co.uk/2017/09/in-recently-published-paper-justin.html
reversemigraine

Postby murderhorn » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:27 am

reversemigraine wrote:The problem there is that, in many cases, Elsevier is the actual publisher for those individual peridoicals, and not just the vendor managing the database through which you'd typically gain access to those periodicals' articles. They're not just the distro -- they're the actual label itself.

and the maddening thing is that these pre print archives like SSRN and the institutional repository regime in the UK in general were founded on the idea that these things shouldn’t have to be purchased, at least when the research they contain is being done at public universities. and yet Elsevier has managed to insert itself into basically every stage of the work that was once required to bypass them.

basically if you want to do the corporate route to open access you pay them to publish something CC-BY in one of their journals. If you want to do the DIY way you use some patchwork of software and free services and if any of them are any good they will eventually be owned by Elsevier, or maybe they’ll just stop being patched and updated when every other customer migrates their services to the Elsevier one.
murderhorn

Postby murderhorn » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:58 am

I had an interview for a research services job at a university a couple weeks ago and I had this pitch prepared for it where I would say the way most universities in England service their "open access" requirements is a disgrace, that the whole thing has become a way to pay companies like Elsevier a third and fourth time. Like the amount of money that colleges and universities get from the research councils for paying for publishing fees is public, and there are sales reps with Wiley and Springer that just make cold calls to research offices and libraries telling you how easy it is to deposit that money straight into an easy to use account management dashboard on Wiley's site where requests for the funds can be approved in seconds, and if you do that your staff will get a 15% discount off the £1500-£2000 fee they charge to publish an article open access. It's that shameless.

and so I had hoped to make the case that the way to restore some sense and dignity to the whole racket is to try to turn the institutional repository into something that competes with the library's subscription content, and eventually replaces some of it. and to try to convince teaching staff to put their notes up there instead of on Moodle, and to put their pre-peer review papers up there instead of uploading a PDF of the version of record to Moodle which they're not allowed to do anyway probably.

The way the interview unfolded and my own second guessing kept me from being too self righteous though. and it was really question and answer anyway, the interview panel was four people and they asked me a ton about specific reporting rules and outcomes of official reviews of funder policies but didn't really seem interested in what I thought about things in general. They also didn't ask me a single thing about myself outside of work, which had never happened to me in an interview before. It seems like most people will ask you to tell them a weakness or something if only to give you a bit of a break from the tougher stuff. Anyway of course I didn't get it.
murderhorn

Postby scrumptown » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:44 pm

murderhorn you are spot on. elsevier even made a huge move in the IR space recently (in the US at least)
scrumptown

Postby Ted Pikul » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:47 pm

murderhorn wrote:The way the interview unfolded and my own second guessing kept me from being too self righteous though. and it was really question and answer anyway, the interview panel was four people and they asked me a ton about specific reporting rules and outcomes of official reviews of funder policies but didn't really seem interested in what I thought about things in general. They also didn't ask me a single thing about myself outside of work, which had never happened to me in an interview before. It seems like most people will ask you to tell them a weakness or something if only to give you a bit of a break from the tougher stuff. Anyway of course I didn't get it.

I had an interview like this once. They just went around and asked very generic questions ("how does this position fulfill the university's mission?") and someone even mentioned that they'd reassigned who asks which question, meaning they weren't even invested in the questions. It was weird.
http://pickleoffact.tumblr.com

inspectorhound wrote:You are the biggest sociopath on this board
Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby murderhorn » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:13 am

yeah the only interview panel I ever 'served' on the questions were written by the guy in charge of hiring and I just read the same thing to three different people. but at least in that case he seemed to make an effort to ask the candidates a little bit about themselves.
murderhorn

Postby gassy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:26 pm

unsuccessfully did a panel interview with 8 committee members. was kind of challenging and a mindfuck.
gassy

Postby reversemigraine » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:58 pm

At the university level, I have never been on a hiring committee or been involved in an interview (on the hiring side of things) in which the group in the room was carefully tailored to address the specifics of the open position, or in which each person had his or her own set of questions that he or she specifically wanted to ask.

The last committee I was on was for a science/engineering librarian opening, and the people selected on the committee were mostly there because they were next in line. Our set of questions for the first (phone) interview were mostly drawn from an existing document; we made a few tweaks to existing questions and added one or two that were specifically about being a science liaison, but in no case were we like, "This is our instruction question, so we need to make sure the InfoLit Librarian asks this one" -- we just went around the room, with the next person to the right asking the next question and so on. (In fact, people on the committee tended to switch up their seating order for each interview because a few people said they were "bored" with asking the same question.)

One of my first phone interviews for a university position was for a gov docs opening. There were three librarians on the committee, none of whom worked in gov docs. The person who would be supervising the position was present, but was not technically a member of the committee and refused to speak or answer questions -- she was merely there to "listen."

I occasionally see the committee chairs for my two worst interview experiences at conferences, and while they don't recognize me (since I never got an invite for a second interview in either instance, or even an auto-generated "no thanks" email upon closing), I certainly remember them, and I have to restrain myself from saying something terribly pissy.
reversemigraine

Postby Repo » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:48 am

my library will start lending vinyl records tomorrow :!:

Repo

Postby chowder julius » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:49 am

awesome repo!! is that your project?
ImageImageImage

chowder julius

Postby Repo » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:51 am

yeah!
I'm also curating some activities about electronic music, concerts, talks.. I'm trying to do it as inclusive as possible, let's see how it works
Repo

Postby chowder julius » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:26 pm

repo i was thinking of your vinyl library yesterday and it made me smile :)

i've said it before in this thread probably but my absolute favorite thing about my job is working with other librarians. the comfortable eccentricities for one thing but mostly just how astonishingly helpful they can be. i was looking for company reports from the 1920s and emailed the NYPL, who reached out to a the columbus public library, who reached out to the university of chicago library to piece together how to get ahold of these reports. i don't even live in any of these cities. i honest to god cried over how diligent and helpful they had been on a project that was driving me nuts. all i did was send a brief email and suddenly several people were working behind the scenes to help make my life that tiny bit easier. it's incredible
ImageImageImage

chowder julius

Postby object » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:29 pm

What do you all do in this thread? Talk about how great Ayn Rand is? Fantasise about living in Liberland? Debate Austrian economics?
object

Postby reversemigraine » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:52 pm

You're new, so I'll link you to both "Board Libertarians" parody threads:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=86770
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=105703
reversemigraine

Postby chowder julius » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:54 pm

my friend once karaoked liberian girl to me as librarian girl
ImageImageImage

chowder julius

Postby chowder julius » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:56 pm

i keep getting marketing emails from sciencedirect about hypogonadism since i ordered articles about small balls from them. i'm not complaining about it
ImageImageImage

chowder julius

Postby object » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:59 pm

Have you ever seen the Howard Stern smallest penis competition? It's actually very life affirming.
object

Postby chowder julius » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:44 pm

chowder julius wrote:did yall see there's a new wiseman doc about the nypl?

three hour wiseman doc about libraries??? fuck me UP

just saw this. the scene of the librarian teaching someone to read braille and the elderly people doing the soul train style dance solos made me cry. i fucking love libraries
ImageImageImage

chowder julius

Postby chowder julius » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:51 pm

i cried thinking about banned books week today too. libraries... :cry: shred....... :cry:
ImageImageImage

chowder julius

Postby reversemigraine » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:52 pm

Fox in Socks rules.

That is all.
reversemigraine

Postby chowder julius » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:55 pm

i want to work in a public library again. the whole point of doing this was to feel that i'm helping change lives and i'm not doing any of that here
ImageImageImage

chowder julius

Postby Repo » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:59 pm

I feel you
I caught a couple of teenage kids at my library having sex at the rest rooms though haha
Repo

Postby Kenny » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:46 pm

chowder julius wrote:i want to work in a public library again. the whole point of doing this was to feel that i'm helping change lives and i'm not doing any of that here

+1
REAL NAME NO GIMMICKS Image

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:kenny, can't tell if you're joking or not
Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby chowder julius » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:26 pm

lotta opportunities to soapbox about the importance of school libraries this week! my poor doctor got an earful this morning
ImageImageImage

chowder julius

Postby murderhorn » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:19 pm

My school is getting a massive renovation and the architects were sharing the sketches and floorplans of the new design/layout this week and the library was labelled "LRC" in every picture, "Learning Resource Centre" but not even that cuz they just used the initials. How could anyone think it's a good idea to call the library something other than "the library"??
murderhorn

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All