what are you reading right now?

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby Kenny » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:35 am

chowder julius wrote:i finished the rosmarie waldrop and have no idea what i should read next. maybe another ferrante? but i think i need a break from heavy books. does anyone have a rec for something fun yet literary, ideally less than 200 pages?

Have you read any P.G. Wodehouse?
REAL NAME NO GIMMICKS Image

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:kenny, can't tell if you're joking or not
Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby ripersnifle » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:53 am

walt whitman wrote:
ripersnifle wrote:been reading a bunch of Kittler for school. really enjoying it.

mark bn hansen is an intriguing counterpoint to kittler on media and the digital turn

particularly hansen's

thanks. i haven't heard of him/this text!
I'm quite new to this whole "world."
Barthes Starr wrote:
ripersnifle wrote:been reading a bunch of Kittler for school. really enjoying it.
hey me too
what kinda school you doin, ripersnifle?
i'm in an English graduate degree technically but have essentially realized belatedly that i'm way more interested in questions of media/technology and i'm now trying to bend the degree haha
bums me out a bit, tbh, because i think if my undergraduate institution would've been more progressive/robust in terms of thinking more in these terms, then i would've found this out a lot earlier.
my undergraduate university essentially ignored digital humanities while it was happening contemporaneously everywhere else. professors thought if they had regularly-updated blogspots that they were cutting edge digital scholars.
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet
ripersnifle wrote:that aesthetic was tight
worrywort wrote:it's called the temple grandin
ripersnifle

Postby mascotte » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:58 am

Prob the best Putin bio out there

Starts great but I might give up when it gets serious

Wonderful read, so many insights about history of Iran
mascotte

Postby chowder julius » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:00 pm

Kenny wrote:
chowder julius wrote:i finished the rosmarie waldrop and have no idea what i should read next. maybe another ferrante? but i think i need a break from heavy books. does anyone have a rec for something fun yet literary, ideally less than 200 pages?

Have you read any P.G. Wodehouse?

i have not! will check him out

abs, i'm a couple chapters deep into the dud avocado and am really enjoying it. i wish i'd had this on hand to read while traveling.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImagebuy me thingsImageImageImage
DRAGONS wrote:its not my job to engage u in debate until u feel good about ur horrific views

chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

Postby Kenny » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:02 pm

Read "Code of the Woosters" first!
REAL NAME NO GIMMICKS Image

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:kenny, can't tell if you're joking or not
Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby criss elliott » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:43 pm

javier marias - thus bad begins

just finished. it was ok but overlong, it took me maybe a month and i almost gave up a few times. each time i put it down i didn't really want to pick it up again. don't know if this is on the translation or marias but by 600th occurence of "ingenuous" i was about to throw the damn book.

shirley jackson - we have always lived in the castle

wanted to read something spooky so i grabbed this shirley jackson (which i'm beginning to realize may be the less spooky of her two popular books)

terry eagleton - literary theory

trying to brush up on & add to my understanding of what exactly it even is i studied in undergrad. i've got tons of theory works and aspirations to read others but it all feels above me. tried watching a talk on eve sedgwick this morning and i'm not sure what i got out of the experience.
criss elliott

Postby Dead_Wizard » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:08 pm

Been thinking about acid a lot lately

Saw it referenced by James Woods re: the Nobel so "Hey!" why not

Kinda getting way into Four Walls Eight Windows, a now defunct NY based press of all sorts of weird crap
Dead_Wizard

Postby mudd » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:35 pm

i feel like i used to read a lot of 4W8W stuff but all i can remember right now is the paul difilipo stuff i don't remember fondly.

m
mudd

Postby Viola Swamp » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:43 pm

nah WHALITC is very spooky and her best
Viola Swamp

Postby dmitry » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:44 pm

Messenger wrote:
dmitry wrote:been goin through

so many different sources have recommended this. it ties up a lot of what i've been thinking about, re: top-down control and complex systems, but also re: modernist urban planning and societal projects
learned so far: le courbusier is an asshole

I just read something about this the other day and thought it sounded like an intriguing topic, but I'm curious, what sort of political perspective is this author coming from?

he's an anarchism-leaning liberal. pretty much all his work is "people vs institutions" and he likes people a lot more than institutions
it ends up a good position to analyze from because he sees/describes the positive intents (or not) of the top-down projects, but is also able to see how they come apart when you consider that these projects apply to people
dmitry

Postby emiko » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:52 pm

¬"Where do the rockets find planets? Where are are the dreams of the babies going? 'Cause you know they're all going fast." - Chan Marshall (Cat Power)
emiko

Postby turquoise albino » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:22 pm

Kenny wrote:
I really like Bowle's sense of place/mood. Definitely want to read more by him

Up Above the World can kinda snatch your soul straight out of your body
turquoise albino

Postby bongo » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:29 pm

up very late/always and largely immobile with a newborn these days so figured why not

yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby Messenger » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:39 pm

dmitry wrote:
Messenger wrote:
dmitry wrote:been goin through

so many different sources have recommended this. it ties up a lot of what i've been thinking about, re: top-down control and complex systems, but also re: modernist urban planning and societal projects
learned so far: le courbusier is an asshole

I just read something about this the other day and thought it sounded like an intriguing topic, but I'm curious, what sort of political perspective is this author coming from?

he's an anarchism-leaning liberal. pretty much all his work is "people vs institutions" and he likes people a lot more than institutions
it ends up a good position to analyze from because he sees/describes the positive intents (or not) of the top-down projects, but is also able to see how they come apart when you consider that these projects apply to people

Okay, awesome. That's exactly what I was hoping for. The two sentence blurb that I read about it before sounded interesting but also a little ambiguous in the way it mentioned something about his "anti-government, anti social engineering" point of view. Basically I just wanted to make sure this wasn't some bullshit libertarian critique against state-run programs, so I'm really glad to hear that he's more anarchist leaning. The book sounds great.
Messenger

Postby tanaka » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:51 am

ImageImage

I like Blavatsky's bit about séances, how they're a waste of time because you only end up communicating with "astral hobos" - the spiritual equivalent of 4chan trolls, fucking around with the material world because they're bored, the more respectable spirits all having more important stuff to do. Just because a being is supernatural, doesn't mean it's not ignorant or y'know... a jerk. Eliade says that although mediums had existed for centuries, it wasn't until the 1800s that spirits had to manifest themselves in the physical world thru sounds (knocks on walls) and floating tables and whatnot in order to prove their existence. He also points out that even Blavatsky, a sworn enemy of the spiritists, still had to "materialize" objects out of thin air and modernize ancient traditions in order to win followers - e.g. combining Darwinism and Buddhism.
tanaka

Postby walt whitman » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:41 am

fucc that sounds amazing ^

this astrology BS has nothing on the original spiritualists
walt whitman

Postby atomicbombshell » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:12 pm

Glad you're enjoying, cj!
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾

The moon put her hand over my mouth and told me to shut up and watch.
atomicbombshell
Queen Witch

Postby manunderer » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:33 pm

madness and chaos wrote:fuck yeah, love drug rock tales, gotta read that nolan

and i still need that mudd club book. i waited forever for one of those

if you're looking to spend a little, nina antonia has a bio of johnny thunders that i think is out of print but i emailed her and scored a copy

pretty good
manunderer

Postby glaucon » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:46 pm

Shah of Shahs sounds good. Thanks, mascotte. Have we discussed how Kapuscinki was loose with facts?

I'm reading Alice Munro's collection The Love of a Good Woman. Love the title story.

Some recent stuff:
Inspired by Blade Runner--although I don't care for the sequel, probably just don't like Villaneuve, turns out--"Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" Wonderful, better than I had hoped. Then The Maltese Falcon. Good. Then Farewell, My Lovely. The story in Farewell, My Lovely is such a preposterous mess that it plays like a parody of noir, Lebowski-like. The book isn't all bad, however, because it contains Chandler's vivid Los Angeles landscapes.

And, unrelatedly, The Republic for Which It Stands, which is terrific.
j_brooks wrote:no i'm just like

i'm smart and i give a shit and these people are all just killing time until they can start shitty jobs and have shitty families and never really understand beauty and risk and the real potential of the human heart and mind
glaucon

Postby Gnarls » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:56 pm

Jesse Eisinger - The Chickenshit Club

Karen & Barbara Fields - Racecraft

looking for something transformative to renew my love for fiction
Gnarls

Postby delgriffith » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:06 pm

I just started on The Chickenshit Club too.
delgriffith

Postby dvr » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:16 pm

glaucon wrote:Shah of Shahs sounds good. Thanks, mascotte. Have we discussed how Kapuscinki was loose with facts?

I liked Shadow of the Sun and Another Day of Life. Looking for a third one to read by him, might be Shah of Shahs
dvr

Postby winjer » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:16 pm

winjer

Postby mascotte » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:22 pm

Kapuscinski was glorified in Poland until his well researched biography was published. His family tried to withold the publication and they almost succeeded, the reprints were released with chapters describing his adventures with women and difficult relation with his daughter removed. Shah of shahs in particular is considered as a loose, fabularised and dramatized story. It reads well though when you don't call it a reportage or "non fiction" (the latter, nota bene, was a title of his biography by Artur Domosławski). He was also backed by prominent communists and collaborated with the regime's intelligence.
mascotte

Postby mercenaries of slime » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:33 pm

i liked kapuscinski's imperium

should be doing homework but reading this instead:

mercenaries of slime

Postby trigross » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:30 pm

Dead_Wizard wrote:Image
Been thinking about acid a lot lately

How's this?
trigross
our chow yun-fat

Postby chimp » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:37 pm

reaching the end of perdido street station, decided i needed a break from depressing books about climate change. PSS is a lot of fun but seems to be running out of steam a little at the moment
chimp

Postby chimp » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:38 pm

i'm very much enjoying the character/concept of the Weaver but its appearance at a couple of key moments of peril felt a little deus ex machinaToggle Spoiler
chimp

Postby mission » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:20 am

If you are into tales of rock and roll excess but have a sense of humour that extends beyond laughing your arse off when the dickhead does the dumb thing:

Young's detachment from the grim scheissfest unfurling before him comes from a sad desire to fit in which I find depressingly close to my own callow youth.

Well-written, bizarre, judgment-free.
Good.
mission

Postby goofysdeadwife69 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:27 am

i've been pretty interested in learning more about nico ever since i saw the oliver stone the doors film which has the most hideous misogynist depiction of her one could imagine. thx for the recommendation.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
goofysdeadwife69
Was Raised Christian

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All