Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby abs » Wed May 16, 2018 10:42 pm

a reread and one that I'm doing for class, but really pleasantly surprised by how much I'm enjoying this
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾
abs
Queen Witch

Postby HotFingersClub » Thu May 17, 2018 9:30 am

joebagel wrote:reading this on the recommendation of lizzie goodman, who wrote meet me in the bathroom (2001-2011 nyc music scene book).

AMAZING SO FAR. i fugkin love oral histories

I love this. The first and still the best oral history I've read
HotFingersClub

Postby ahungbunny » Thu May 17, 2018 10:54 am

same. we got the neutron bomb, about the la punk scene, is also good
ahungbunny

Postby goofjan » Thu May 17, 2018 1:54 pm

woah - dont know if this is the right thread for this, but Elisabeth Moss is gonna play Shirley Jackson in a biopic directed by Josephine Decker.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/elisabeth-moss-michael-stuhlbarg-star-shirley-literary-thriller-1112810
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye
goofjan

Postby Sobieski » Thu May 17, 2018 1:57 pm

sick
smoke less weed
get more sleep
always tip %20
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby santos l halper » Thu May 17, 2018 2:15 pm

abs wrote:report back on the lispector bio! I have it but keep putting it off for one reason or another

it's definitely a must-read if you're interested in her or her work, even simply because of the excerpts he quotes from her letters. and some of the details of her life do bring out autobiographical elements of her writing that i would otherwise have missed. but i had some issues with it as a biography on a stylistic level - it feels overlong and repetitious in places, and his critical readings of the various novels are not particularly interesting regardless of whether or not you've read the book in question, so those chapters felt like a drag.
santos l halper

Postby adam sampler » Thu May 17, 2018 2:33 pm

loving it so far
adam sampler

Postby Dead_Wizard » Fri May 18, 2018 3:09 pm

I am greatly enjoying Lost Empress. I found the slapstick stuff with Nina early on to be kind of a chore and not particularly funny, but I dig how the subplots are rolling into each other now that I am at the midpoint. The overlying tone of cosmic pessimism is done well, reminds me of DFW at points with the long scientific/philosophical digressions snapping back into the plot. Only real sticking point is the whole medical resident subplot - it's just so inaccurate in a way that takes me out. Granted, I used to coordinate M&M conferences and administer a residency program so uh, I have some "insight", but what happens in the book just never happens at these things, and the reality is way more interesting. The dialogue formatting is kind of confounding and I am curious if there's going to be a reveal later on or if he just decided to drop the play writing style that dominated the first hundred or so pages.
Dead_Wizard

Postby walt whitman » Fri May 18, 2018 7:21 pm

god i love this book so much
walt whitman

Postby bongo » Sat May 19, 2018 2:16 pm

jesus the lost empress is very disappointing. going to be a chore to finish. reads like smarmy early dfw aping and has some weird takes that are so militantly dumb that i’ve almost bailed a couple times
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby ahungbunny » Sun May 20, 2018 1:30 am

singularity also started with some cringey dfw-ism, like the whole side plot of Entertainment or Television or whatever (i lost my copy and am going on memory) before settling in to a really moving, extremely readable novel. some of lost empress annoys me (the too-cute sitcomness of the Nina stuff, though it's getting better) but the high points are pretty dang high (the de cervantes and larry brown stuff, for the most part). as it goes on the pieces start fitting together and i'm a sucker for that asymptotic method of storytelling so color me invested ~240pp in

re: medical resident details putting off earlier poster - the football sections do the same for me. de la pava seemed like a huge fan and proponent of boxing in his first nove and i loooooved that whole subplot but he's way too general (or i just know too much) about football for it to be convincing in this
ahungbunny

Postby abs » Sun May 20, 2018 10:27 am

this rules
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾
abs
Queen Witch

Postby bongo » Sun May 20, 2018 11:36 am

ahungbunny wrote:singularity also started with some cringey dfw-ism, like the whole side plot of Entertainment or Television or whatever (i lost my copy and am going on memory) before settling in to a really moving, extremely readable novel. some of lost empress annoys me (the too-cute sitcomness of the Nina stuff, though it's getting better) but the high points are pretty dang high (the de cervantes and larry brown stuff, for the most part). as it goes on the pieces start fitting together and i'm a sucker for that asymptotic method of storytelling so color me invested ~240pp in

re: medical resident details putting off earlier poster - the football sections do the same for me. de la pava seemed like a huge fan and proponent of boxing in his first nove and i loooooved that whole subplot but he's way too general (or i just know too much) about football for it to be convincing in this

glad youre digging it at least. i agree re singularity. this one isnt doing anything for me at all.
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby joebagel » Sun May 20, 2018 4:01 pm

so my main takeaway from Please Kill Me:

patti smith is EVIL
joebagel

Postby dvr » Sun May 20, 2018 4:56 pm

joebagel wrote:Image
reading this on the recommendation of lizzie goodman, who wrote meet me in the bathroom (2001-2011 nyc music scene book).

AMAZING SO FAR. i fugkin love oral histories

While growing up in the Bay area may have had something to do with it, I preferred this to Please Kill Me:

dvr

Postby ahungbunny » Sun May 20, 2018 6:09 pm

the best anecdote in all those punk oral histories is like five people all saying "you know stan from the dickies gave Iggy some heroin in exchange for the cheetah jacket on the back of raw power and he just wouldn't stop talking about it, it's so annoying" followed by stan lee himself YOU KNOW THAT CHEETAH JACKET?! I STILL HAVE IT!
ahungbunny

Postby Honga Ciganesta » Mon May 21, 2018 2:23 pm

I'm glad I got through this and there were some very interesting parts, the history and development of nuclear weapons, all the near misses, the political stuff, but there was so much unnecessary detail that I found some sections a struggle to get through. Like do I need the life story of everyone? Do I need to know a fireman's children were asleep when he got a call?

The bureaucratic wrangling between various governmental organizations was also sometimes mind numbing. The central story of a missile disaster is spread out throughout the book and I don't think it quite works. There's so many people involved and so much technical detail that I'd have preferred it all in one chapter so i could keep proper track. And, again, an incredible amount of unnecessary detail. In fact there's no real cohesion as he goes from one topic to another, and one decade to another, seemingly at random.

Obviously an insane amount of research went into this and he didn't want ANYTHING to go to waste. But it was mostly a slog by the end.

And a trio of cheerful books

Honga Ciganesta

Postby forest design » Mon May 21, 2018 2:31 pm

bongo wrote:jesus the lost empress is very disappointing. going to be a chore to finish. reads like smarmy early dfw aping and has some weird takes that are so militantly dumb that i’ve almost bailed a couple times

Sad to hear this. I loved Naked Singularity, but didn't make it through Personae and had high hopes for this one. I have it coming from the library, though, gonna give it a shot I guess
forest design

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Mon May 21, 2018 2:51 pm

son of chucky wrote:Image

really great

I want to read this but I picked it up and read the preface at the bookstore this weekend and I feel like it spoiled quite a bit. I guess with 800 pages there's more than just a few sentences worth of plot tho
rich uncle skeleton

Postby Kenny » Mon May 21, 2018 2:55 pm

We have to stop the madness and change all prefaces into afterwords
Image REAL NAME NO GIMMICKS ImageImage
Never forget, other opinions are available
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon May 21, 2018 3:00 pm

rich uncle skeleton wrote:
son of chucky wrote:Image

really great

I want to read this but I picked it up and read the preface at the bookstore this weekend and I feel like it spoiled quite a bit. I guess with 800 pages there's more than just a few sentences worth of plot tho

I know what you're referring to, and it's actually a spoiler for one of the later novels in the series! I made the mistake of reading that author's into first—which I almost never do—and just assumed he was talking about something in Lonesome Dove.

Anyway, you should still read it.
Eyeball Kid

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon May 21, 2018 3:01 pm

Kenny wrote:We have to stop the madness and change all prefaces into afterwords

At the very least, it would have been nice if McMurtry didn't feel the need to casually mention the fate of one of the major characters!
Eyeball Kid

Postby Riverchrist » Mon May 21, 2018 9:33 pm

This guy has a rape scene set to "Rape Me" on the day Kurt Cobain died.

It's my own fault for reading stuff I take from the building's garbage room.
Riverchrist

Postby warmhouse » Tue May 22, 2018 1:02 am

Kenny wrote:We have to stop the madness and change all prefaces into afterwords

i never read them. im already reading the book arent i? what are you trying to sell me?
warmhouse

Postby Sweet Gregory Pectin » Tue May 22, 2018 2:17 am

i tried to read lonesome dove but couldn't get into but that may have been too close to the election

about 40 pages i couldn't take anymore all these people would have voted for trump i exclaimed to myself and slammed the book the shut

oh Sweet Gregory Pectin you are the living end you really are
Sweet Gregory Pectin

Postby Plainsong » Tue May 22, 2018 7:59 am

Plainsong

Postby Kenny » Wed May 23, 2018 10:28 am

Is there any good layman's book about ants? I want to know all about em
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby blab » Wed May 23, 2018 10:34 am

Journey of the Ants: a Story of Scientific Explorations is supposed to be a layman's account of an booked called The Ants, which came out a few years prior and won a Pulitzer

blab

Postby Kenny » Wed May 23, 2018 10:37 am

Solid, bought it :ugeek:

Like check out this bit from the Queen Ant wikipedia page

The term "queen" is not particularly apt, as the queen ant has very little control over the colony as a whole. She has no known authority or decision-making control; instead her sole function is to reproduce. Therefore, the queen is best understood as the reproductive element of a colony rather than a leader. Once a colony is established, the worker ants meet the queen's needs such as giving her food and disposing of her waste. Because ant social structure is very complex and individual ants are relatively simple, an ant colony can be thought of as a single organism, and the individual ants as cells or limbs of the organism, as the individuals can rarely survive on their own. In a colony some ants may be unrelated to the queen(s), such as when a brood is captured in a raid and raised as the colony's own.

and this plaster cast of an ant nest
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby delgriffith » Wed May 23, 2018 10:41 am

Ants rock. It's not strictly about Ants but Robert Moor's "On Trails" has some really awesome ant stuff.
delgriffith

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....