what are you reading right now?

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby tanaka » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:19 pm

walt whitman wrote:not sure why but i have a strong distrust of any book that mentions PHD and MD on the cover, hm

made me think of this

b.s. indeed
tanaka

Postby dvr » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:33 pm

dmitry wrote:finished the second revelation space book. don't read it! it's bad
it did make me realize that the first book was actually very good
you should read it if you want a hybrid of cyberpunk and space opera where everyone is a huge asshole

i think i'm gonna read the Mars Trilogy. anyone read it?
a lot of you people are talking about this Dhalgren which i had never heard of but maybe i should read that next

What?? I liked Chasm City. Not really much of a space opera though, I'd say more 3 different settings/times/plots that eventually come together.Toggle Spoiler I do agree that reading this made me realize how good the first book was. Just the whole time in city was so action-packed (lol) and well-written, I liked the dystopian/dark setting.

Earlier this year I read Red Mars and Antarctica by KSR. I much, much preferred Antarctica, the characters (while a bit cookie cutter) were easier to follow and care about. Red Mars seemed like a bunch thrown together in a short time, like it could have been 3 times as long. There is another boarder or two though that really liked Red Mars.

Anyway, I just ordered Redemption Ark and Absolution Gap. I'm hoping it gets more space opera/hard science again.

I'm reading this right now:

It's not bad, easy read. I didn't know anything about Kings Canyon/Sequoia NPs. Second book I've read this year on NPS employees (first was Ranger Confidential, which I think is better).
dvr

Postby trigross » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:55 am

on a vietnam kick - re-reading

just ordered -

and for kicks
which is much funnier than i thought it would be (i assumed the tone would be like stalker for some reason)
trigross
our chow yun-fat

Postby trigross » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:57 am

also i think i picked up the above edition of roadside picnic/troika on a library free rack and apparently it's super oop
trigross
our chow yun-fat

Postby Dead_Wizard » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:06 pm

New Krasznahorkai is so good. More in the realm of Beckett than here's ever been (at least up to where I am at); eerie discursive essays linking the more structured stories. Overall mood of cosmic absurdity/insignificance. There's one story early on that did something I've never really seen done before and it had me wigging out, like straight up wig flipped.
Dead_Wizard

Postby tea preacher » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:23 pm

Stalled on my reread of Anna Karenina so just started this:

you'll never hear me talk about one day getting out
tea preacher

Postby Plainsong » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:32 pm

Just started reading, but liking it so far.
Plainsong

Postby gauchebag » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:31 pm

Finally making serious headway on Gravity's Rainbow, only 300 pages left
bruce1: fucking, fighting, i'm the one with gun
gauchebag

Postby walt whitman » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:53 pm

Plainsong wrote:Image
Just started reading, but liking it so far.

ya book legit rules. i like it more than his zany~ stuff
walt whitman

Postby son of chucky » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:03 pm

stephen king's misery. great read.
I am going to buy more books about elderly dogs in the future. Thank you.
son of chucky

Postby object » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:16 pm

I could never really get a handle on Burroughs' cut-up stuff. Loved Junky though.
object

Postby theta » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:12 pm

just finished

now reading

Jeremy wrote:If you want a vision of the future, imagine a sarcastic serf - forever.
theta
Noted Futurist and Geo Metro Enthusiast

Postby the upland trout » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:28 pm

chimp wrote:
the upland trout wrote:Image

would be interested to hear about this. I've been slowly progressing through "Anthropocene or Capitalocene?" but it's pretty theory-heavy which is kind of a slog

It was good? I think the ideas are very persuasive, but I found it a slog. And not because it was difficult to read. I just found the writing unengaging and the text sorta aimless. The introduction and the last chapter were the best I think.

I read Anthropocene or Capitalocene? as well. I only got a lot out of 2 or 3 of the essays in the book.
the upland trout

Postby Eyeball Kid » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:29 pm

Dead_Wizard wrote:New Krasznahorkai is so good. More in the realm of Beckett than here's ever been (at least up to where I am at); eerie discursive essays linking the more structured stories. Overall mood of cosmic absurdity/insignificance. There's one story early on that did something I've never really seen done before and it had me wigging out, like straight up wig flipped.

I finally got around to Seiobo There Below, which I read before starting The Last Voyage of Somebody the Sailor. I think it's his best book! (Of what I've read.) I'll likely get to the new one sooner rather than later.
Eyeball Kid

Postby the upland trout » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:31 pm

Currently reading this
So far pretty good.

And I'm reading this
because everyone is reading it. It's a little bit shitty.
the upland trout

Postby object » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:09 pm

I haven't read the book but Angela Nagle's prose is turgid, some of her views seem to be pretty dumb, and she's been very uninteresting in any interview i've heard her in. And she has annoying vocal tics that make her hard to listen to.
object

Postby goofysdeadwife69 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:16 pm

goofy's dead wife wrote:Everyone got to her already but I feel like I have to iterate theres like a 0.01% chance that Angela Nagle isn't a TERF given all of the dogwhistling she does both in the book and on social media. It's fucking criminal that her and Jesse Singal have the platforms they do.

i feel like i have to do this everytime she's brought up she's seriously so fucking dumb it's obscene. literally anyone on this board could write a better book on internet nazis than her.
goofysdeadwife69
Was Raised Christian

Location: GIVE :CLAP: YOUR :CLAP: MONEY :CLAP: TO :CLAP: LIMP :CLAP: DICK :CLAP: SISSIES :CLAP:

Postby aspirinkid » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:02 pm

Just read barbed wire for a class, i thought it was fantastic
aspirinkid

Postby Dead_Wizard » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:19 pm

There's a new Vollmann article about the UAE in the latest Harper's.
Dead_Wizard

Postby quentincompson » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:53 am

Hi all, it's been a while.
I'm looking for your good and always appreciated rec.

I need well written book about spies. Looking for fiction but not necessarily genre fiction.
William Boyd restless could be an example. Or Le carré The perfect spy. Or Nguyen The sympathizer...
quentincompson

Postby Seamus » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:12 pm

quentincompson wrote:Hi all, it's been a while.
I'm looking for your good and always appreciated rec.

I need well written book about spies. Looking for fiction but not necessarily genre fiction.
William Boyd restless could be an example. Or Le carré The perfect spy. Or Nguyen The sympathizer...

I haven't actually got round to it yet but everybody seems to love Your Face Tomorrow
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby the upland trout » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:41 pm

Your Face Tomorrow is amazing. Friedrich Dürrenmatt's The Assignment: Or, on the Observing of the Observer of the Observers might be worth checking out too.

I finished the Nagle book last night and yeah, it sucked. It's poorly written, superficial, seems somewhat transphobic, and does not demonstrate any real grasp of the theoretical stuff (Gramsci, the Frankfurt School, Butler, etc.) that she is sometimes engaging with, which is unfortunate because we need a good book on this topic.

Barbed Wire: An Ecology of Modernity is great though. It's a nice multi-species history of a particular type of material agency that doesn't get bogged down in the sometimes annoying lingo that often characterizes work done in this area.
the upland trout

Postby atomicbombshell » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:44 am

atomicbombshell wrote:eff, I love the lost estate.

now reading:

this was great.

now:

☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾

The moon put her hand over my mouth and told me to shut up and watch.
atomicbombshell
Queen Witch

Postby tarantula » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:47 am

tarantula

Postby internetfriend » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:01 am

Dead_Wizard wrote:New Krasznahorkai is so good. More in the realm of Beckett than here's ever been (at least up to where I am at); eerie discursive essays linking the more structured stories. Overall mood of cosmic absurdity/insignificance. There's one story early on that did something I've never really seen done before and it had me wigging out, like straight up wig flipped.

damn this is good to hear, i’ve been needing something like this
iambic wrote:no don't make those posts
internetfriend
pubg survivalist

Location: a forked path where the Perseus and Sagittarius Arms of the Milky Way come together.

Postby winjer » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:34 am

:ryan:

can't wait
winjer

Postby nocents » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:13 am

tea preacher wrote:Stalled on my reread of Anna Karenina so just started this:

This author is a pretty hardcore right wing evangelical, and his prior work (especially his bio of Bonhoeffer) has been heavily criticized for being inaccurate. I don't know about the Luther book.
nocents

Postby nocents » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:16 am

nocents

Postby tanaka » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:28 pm

Best laid plans etc. Lin Biao, Chairman Mao's chosen successor decides to off him and take his place, coming up with a complex plan involving false flag attacks on Chinese border troops to make it seem as if the Soviets were responsible. Following that, believing that war was afoot Mao was to retreat to a mountain hideout where Lin's goons were to do him in. While this is going on, Lin's son forms his own deep state clique intent on snuffing Mao, devising a much simpler plan - blowing him up. Alas, both plans go awry and everyone ends up dead or in jail, which is probably for the best because things might've turned out a lot differently if at that time the Soviets and the Chinese squashed their beef as Lin has hoped and the alliance between the US and China had never formed.
tanaka

Postby Dead_Wizard » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:32 pm

Picked a nice looking used copy of this up after seeing New Directions just reissued it. Is The Shape of Water at all related to this? Seems awfully familiar...
In the quiet suburbs, while Dorothy is doing chores and waiting for her husband to come home from work, not in the least anticipating romance, she hears a strange radio announcement about a monster who has just escaped from the Institute for Oceanographic Research…

Vollmann's UAE piece in Harper's was pretty funny in the sense that he's such an incompetent journalist. It has some cool bits about the region but his failure to uh, compensate the people he's interviewing, have an interpreter, have a location to interview people, etc. kinda stonewall his efforts. Judging by this his "Carbon Ideologies" stuff is going to look at nuke power/fukushima in the 1st book and "the oil brotherhood" in the 2nd.

There's this story in "The World Goes On" that is so hard to describe and is basically a mean practical joke directed at the reader that I loved nonetheless. Basically, two bros in Kiev get interrupted by an annoying third party and the guy just doesn't stop talking about banking rules and mergers for the entire run. Felt like being trolled by Beckett or something
Dead_Wizard

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All