Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby wollogallu » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:57 am

wollogallu

Postby mystery meat » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:16 pm

The Big Clock owns, film adaptation is really great too
mystery meat

Postby tolka » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:22 pm

two debuts, one more accomplished but the other more inspired. both good!

beautiful. some passages were so relatable that i had to put the book down for a while, although others would have benefitted from a little tightening, or even being dropped.

whereas this was lean and thematically tight. very polished and relevant.
Night porter wrote:Ftr I disagree with myself
tolka
ok

Postby the upland trout » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:21 pm

cooly wrote:upland trout, if you're willing to engage with the analytic hegel, brandom's draft of a spirit of trust is interesting, and spends a significant amount of time on the reason section. http://www.pitt.edu/~brandom/spirit_of_trust_2014.html the draft is up on his site (it's not published yet) as a series of MS Word documents, and the section on the expressive conception of agency is probably the relevant one for the reason section.

i don't normally like texts in the 'analytic hegel' tradition because they tend to stay pretty removed from the book itself and normally just explore an idea the author is interested in using a couple lines of hegel as an excuse (pippin is the most guilty of this), but brandom's book explores things a bit more deeply (of course this is partly because the book is so long.) that said, you might be skeptical of its connection to the text. at the very least it's better than pippin, pinkard, and forster as an attempt along these lines. taylor is probably worth mentioning here as another "good book that is debatable in how related it is to the text itself"

i didn't mean to assume you weren't that up on your kant. i guess i just meant that when i was studying the phg that section was the one i had to look the most outside the text for, and it was mostly towards kant and hegel's engagement with other idealists (i.e. the difference essay)

if you're reading it partly out of interest for frankfurt school, you've likely looked at the hyppolite, or thought about doing so, but that's one of the best book-length works on the phenomenology, and it's closely related to your tradition, so it's worth mentioning.

even though it's not directly on the PhG really, i think beatrice longueness's 'hegel's critique of metaphysics' is probably the best book to mention here. it's ostensibly about a small section of the science of logic, but it's the best book i know of on hegel's dialectical logic, and it does a wonderful job characterizing the relationship between kant and hegel and their conceptions of reason, which is of course important for that chapter.

I like what I've read of Brandom (which is not much) so I'll check that out. Longuenesse's book also looks great.

Why don't you like about Pippin, Pinkard, etc.? From what I remember from graduate school, I know that Pinkard sorta turns Hegel into a social epistemologist.

And yeah, I have the Hyppolite. I'll be reading it soon.
the upland trout

Postby madness and chaos » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:36 pm

gonna start
on my trip home for Xmas
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby adam sampler » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:32 pm

mediocre
adam sampler

Postby dmitry » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:19 am

finally finished Seeing Like a State. jesus christ, this book could be half as long without losing any clarity or conviction. it's still essential reading, though

which means i can finally pick up death and life of american cities, finally
dmitry

Postby diaryboy » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:29 am

I’m loving this.
diaryboy

Postby cooly » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:03 am

the upland trout wrote:Why don't you like about Pippin, Pinkard, etc.? From what I remember from graduate school, I know that Pinkard sorta turns Hegel into a social epistemologist.

i guess that post sounded more negative than i meant it to be, but i basically feel like hegel is a metaphysician and a lot of the analytic commentary tries to tame him in a way to make him more friendly to trends in current thought, and it ends up being a distortion of the texts. i think i was also being negative partly because i was addressing you because i think the fact that hegel is a metaphysician is so important to marx and the frankfurt school's understandings of him, so i felt like i wanted to qualify the brandom recommendation because i felt like the reading according to which hegel was basically the later wittgenstein wasn't going to sit right.

pippen is the worst offender to me because he's also just not very detail oriented. it feels like a reading without a text. pinkard is better, but brandom is the best of those because he is very careful and detail oriented even though he gives a reading i don't think i agree with. brandom also builds a great narrative to his reading that sort of re-situates the text in interesting ways. that said the hyppolite is more true of hegel than that book / manuscript is imo.
can wrote:old lady [whispering]
cooly

Postby Kenny » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:40 am

adam sampler wrote:Image

mediocre

I read Half Empty after liking his stories on TAL, but yeah I gave up halfway through because it was just bland stuff
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage
Never forget, other opinions are available
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Slamwich Artist » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:10 am

got these two to read on a plane, the only interesting-looking english books i could find before leaving:
i wasn't expecting to like this as much as i did
had to put this one down after 40 pages or so though. found the narration really annoying
Haaaaa. The got me. I didn't know it was on Satire! Got it. Peeps got jokes. It's cool!
Slamwich Artist

Postby abs » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:20 am

out of curiosity, how many books per year are people reading? i set my goal as 60 this year and i will be coming in right on target (hopefully) by dec 31.
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾
abs
Queen Witch

Postby manvstrees » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:21 am

((Stuffed is loved by old and young because this is where the puddings get sent in. Criss-cross paving and those tinkly hanging bells make ((Stuffed a very homely access to Hades. Full marks.
manvstrees

Postby trigross » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:14 am

the upland trout wrote:Image

how are these books? they sound weird and right in my wheelhouse
trigross
our chow yun-fat

Postby Guy Incognito » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:15 am

atomicbombshell wrote:out of curiosity, how many books per year are people reading? i set my goal as 60 this year and i will be coming in right on target (hopefully) by dec 31.

i don't keep track but off the top of my head i did around 30 last year
wendy wrote:It is not dank
Guy Incognito
Infernal Dinosaur

Postby sadville » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:27 am

i only read about 20 this year

not a good year for me :(
sadville

Postby trigross » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:31 am

yeah i done goofed this year too
trigross
our chow yun-fat

Postby wollogallu » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:31 am

~78
wollogallu

Postby landspeedrecord » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:49 am

think I did about 25-0 this year, which is probably what I have averaged since graduating from college. would like to double that
rather be an idiot than a sheeple
landspeedrecord

Postby Kenny » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:53 am

I think I'm about 3000 this year, give or take a few
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby adam sampler » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:08 pm

Kenny wrote:

mediocre

I read Half Empty after liking his stories on TAL, but yeah I gave up halfway through because it was just bland stuff

yeah, I want to finish this just because I've had this on my Goodreads front page since high school and found it at Housing Works for like 2 bucks. but might have to abandon it despite its length
adam sampler

Postby the upland trout » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:21 pm

cooly wrote:
the upland trout wrote:Why don't you like about Pippin, Pinkard, etc.? From what I remember from graduate school, I know that Pinkard sorta turns Hegel into a social epistemologist.

i guess that post sounded more negative than i meant it to be, but i basically feel like hegel is a metaphysician and a lot of the analytic commentary tries to tame him in a way to make him more friendly to trends in current thought, and it ends up being a distortion of the texts. i think i was also being negative partly because i was addressing you because i think the fact that hegel is a metaphysician is so important to marx and the frankfurt school's understandings of him, so i felt like i wanted to qualify the brandom recommendation because i felt like the reading according to which hegel was basically the later wittgenstein wasn't going to sit right.

pippen is the worst offender to me because he's also just not very detail oriented. it feels like a reading without a text. pinkard is better, but brandom is the best of those because he is very careful and detail oriented even though he gives a reading i don't think i agree with. brandom also builds a great narrative to his reading that sort of re-situates the text in interesting ways. that said the hyppolite is more true of hegel than that book / manuscript is imo.

I think I would have more tolerance for Brandom taking liberties with the text than someone like Pinkard. It seems to me that Brandom's work on Hegel and other thinkers is part of his larger philosophical project, and as such I don't really expect his Hegel to be the Hegel scholar's Hegel.

I've read a bit of the Brandom text and it seems really interesting. Do you have any idea how close it is to publication?

Have you read Beiser?
the upland trout

Postby the upland trout » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:29 pm

trigross wrote:
the upland trout wrote:Image

how are these books? they sound weird and right in my wheelhouse

I haven't quite started the second one (currently trying to finish up grading), but I really really liked The Crimson Bears. It was really charming and goofy, there are lots of long descriptions of strange things (ornate jackets and weird machines), and I loved the writing. There is not, however, a really strong plot.
the upland trout

Postby Kenny » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:29 pm

adam sampler wrote:
Kenny wrote:

mediocre

yeah, I want to finish this just because I've had this on my Goodreads front page since high school and found it at Housing Works for like 2 bucks. but might have to abandon it despite its length

I haven't really loved a David Sedaris book either despite liking him a lot on NPR/TAL, so I think maybe (for me) it's just the transition to text doesn't work well? I dunno. I also watched a few David Rakoff videos after posting that and maybe I'm out of my twee 20s phase of humorists..

Still kind of want to give Love Disonor Marry Die Cherish Perish a shot
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Melville » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:41 pm

cooly wrote:
Melville wrote:
the upland trout wrote:Yeah my comprehension of the book takes a nosedive with the Reason section and only gradually recovers.

Definitely. The stuff on (self-)consciousness is a lot more relatable, both to personal experience and to later phenomenology. It also often becomes hard to parse what "stratum" of existence he was talking about -- from an individual up to humanity as a whole. Though that leads to a lot of thoughts about the mirroring of processes between different strata, which becomes one of the most fascinating things about the book.

What is your research on, if you don't mind me asking?

the reason section only makes any sense if you've studied kant pretty thoroughly. it's the section of the book that is most directly in engagement with another system, so this reaction makes sense.

I've read a fair bit of Kant (Critique of Pure Reason, Critique of Practical Reason, one of his books on ethics), but I probably should have been doing more direct cross-referencing while reading the reason section of Hegel. I think I've now mostly forgotten what was actually in that section, other than some obviously outdated science. I should read more philosophy. Every once in a while I realize my mind has turned to absolute mush.
Melville

Postby Melville » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:44 pm

the upland trout wrote:
Melville wrote:
the upland trout wrote:Yeah my comprehension of the book takes a nosedive with the Reason section and only gradually recovers.

Definitely. The stuff on (self-)consciousness is a lot more relatable, both to personal experience and to later phenomenology. It also often becomes hard to parse what "stratum" of existence he was talking about -- from an individual up to humanity as a whole. Though that leads to a lot of thoughts about the mirroring of processes between different strata, which becomes one of the most fascinating things about the book.

Right now I'm mostly working in STS, disability studies, and environmental philosophy. Very abstractly stated, I'm interested in exploring the technological and ecological dimensions of the construction of disability and ability.

However I am also very interested in the Frankfurt School, leftist/Marxist thought more generally, and Adorno in particular. But I also feel that my grasp of this material is a bit too uncertain to comfortably make use of it in my current work. Reading Hegel is a way of hopefully getting more comfortable with all of this.

Sounds cool. (Though as a clueless physicist, I have no idea what STS stands for.) I can definitely see that Marx's reaction to Hegel could tie into your interests.
Melville

Postby Dead_Wizard » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:54 pm

Very much enjoying Rainald Goetz's "Insane". Reads like a series of vignettes on mental health from the perspective of patient and clinician. Traces of Bernhard, Gaddis, etc. I love his ability to inhabit the mind of an MD (he went to med school) one of the most convincing "clinical" voices I've seen in fiction.
Dead_Wizard

Postby Melville » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:04 pm

I used to read 20-30+ books every year. Last couple years I've pretty much only read comics.
Melville

Postby Dead_Wizard » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:11 pm

I wouldn't get too hung up over numbers considering books vary in length from 2 pages to 10,000+
Dead_Wizard

Postby the upland trout » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:54 pm

Melville wrote:
the upland trout wrote:
Melville wrote:

Right now I'm mostly working in STS, disability studies, and environmental philosophy. Very abstractly stated, I'm interested in exploring the technological and ecological dimensions of the construction of disability and ability.

However I am also very interested in the Frankfurt School, leftist/Marxist thought more generally, and Adorno in particular. But I also feel that my grasp of this material is a bit too uncertain to comfortably make use of it in my current work. Reading Hegel is a way of hopefully getting more comfortable with all of this.

Sounds cool. (Though as a clueless physicist, I have no idea what STS stands for.) I can definitely see that Marx's reaction to Hegel could tie into your interests.

Ah, STS stands for Science, Technology, Society. It is a field that studies how these things (science, technology, society, culture, etc) interact and affect one another.
the upland trout

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....