what are you reading right now?

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby wollogallu » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:57 am

User avatar
wollogallu
 
Posts: 563
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:56 pm

Postby mystery meat » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:16 pm

The Big Clock owns, film adaptation is really great too
User avatar
mystery meat
 
Posts: 1382
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:47 am
Location: paid to shit

Postby tolka » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:22 pm

two debuts, one more accomplished but the other more inspired. both good!

Image
beautiful. some passages were so relatable that i had to put the book down for a while, although others would have benefitted from a little tightening, or even being dropped.

Image
whereas this was lean and thematically tight. very polished and relevant.
Night porter wrote:Ftr I disagree with myself
User avatar
tolka
ok
 
Posts: 2599
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:09 am

Postby the upland trout » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:21 pm

cooly wrote:upland trout, if you're willing to engage with the analytic hegel, brandom's draft of a spirit of trust is interesting, and spends a significant amount of time on the reason section. http://www.pitt.edu/~brandom/spirit_of_trust_2014.html the draft is up on his site (it's not published yet) as a series of MS Word documents, and the section on the expressive conception of agency is probably the relevant one for the reason section.

i don't normally like texts in the 'analytic hegel' tradition because they tend to stay pretty removed from the book itself and normally just explore an idea the author is interested in using a couple lines of hegel as an excuse (pippin is the most guilty of this), but brandom's book explores things a bit more deeply (of course this is partly because the book is so long.) that said, you might be skeptical of its connection to the text. at the very least it's better than pippin, pinkard, and forster as an attempt along these lines. taylor is probably worth mentioning here as another "good book that is debatable in how related it is to the text itself"

i didn't mean to assume you weren't that up on your kant. i guess i just meant that when i was studying the phg that section was the one i had to look the most outside the text for, and it was mostly towards kant and hegel's engagement with other idealists (i.e. the difference essay)

if you're reading it partly out of interest for frankfurt school, you've likely looked at the hyppolite, or thought about doing so, but that's one of the best book-length works on the phenomenology, and it's closely related to your tradition, so it's worth mentioning.

even though it's not directly on the PhG really, i think beatrice longueness's 'hegel's critique of metaphysics' is probably the best book to mention here. it's ostensibly about a small section of the science of logic, but it's the best book i know of on hegel's dialectical logic, and it does a wonderful job characterizing the relationship between kant and hegel and their conceptions of reason, which is of course important for that chapter.


I like what I've read of Brandom (which is not much) so I'll check that out. Longuenesse's book also looks great.

Why don't you like about Pippin, Pinkard, etc.? From what I remember from graduate school, I know that Pinkard sorta turns Hegel into a social epistemologist.

And yeah, I have the Hyppolite. I'll be reading it soon.
User avatar
the upland trout
 
Posts: 620
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:27 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Postby madness and chaos » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:36 pm

gonna start
Image
on my trip home for Xmas
Roberto Bolaño's chair
User avatar
madness and chaos
 
Posts: 3545
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:20 pm
Location: across 110th street

Postby adam sampler » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:32 pm

Image

mediocre
User avatar
adam sampler
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:43 pm

Postby dmitry » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:19 am

finally finished Seeing Like a State. jesus christ, this book could be half as long without losing any clarity or conviction. it's still essential reading, though

which means i can finally pick up death and life of american cities, finally
Image
User avatar
dmitry
 
Posts: 8977
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:14 pm

Postby diaryboy » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:29 am

Image

I’m loving this.
User avatar
diaryboy
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:29 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Postby cooly » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:03 am

the upland trout wrote:Why don't you like about Pippin, Pinkard, etc.? From what I remember from graduate school, I know that Pinkard sorta turns Hegel into a social epistemologist.

i guess that post sounded more negative than i meant it to be, but i basically feel like hegel is a metaphysician and a lot of the analytic commentary tries to tame him in a way to make him more friendly to trends in current thought, and it ends up being a distortion of the texts. i think i was also being negative partly because i was addressing you because i think the fact that hegel is a metaphysician is so important to marx and the frankfurt school's understandings of him, so i felt like i wanted to qualify the brandom recommendation because i felt like the reading according to which hegel was basically the later wittgenstein wasn't going to sit right.

pippen is the worst offender to me because he's also just not very detail oriented. it feels like a reading without a text. pinkard is better, but brandom is the best of those because he is very careful and detail oriented even though he gives a reading i don't think i agree with. brandom also builds a great narrative to his reading that sort of re-situates the text in interesting ways. that said the hyppolite is more true of hegel than that book / manuscript is imo.
can wrote:old lady [whispering]
User avatar
cooly
 
Posts: 7626
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:52 am

Postby Kenny » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:40 am

adam sampler wrote:Image

mediocre


I read Half Empty after liking his stories on TAL, but yeah I gave up halfway through because it was just bland stuff
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage
Never forget, other opinions are available
User avatar
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee
 
Posts: 17262
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:04 am
Location: https://i.imgur.com/YhvNstr.jpg

Postby Slamwich Artist » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:10 am

got these two to read on a plane, the only interesting-looking english books i could find before leaving:
i wasn't expecting to like this as much as i did
Image
had to put this one down after 40 pages or so though. found the narration really annoying
Image
Haaaaa. The got me. I didn't know it was on Satire! Got it. Peeps got jokes. It's cool!
User avatar
Slamwich Artist
 
Posts: 1581
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:00 pm

Postby abs » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:20 am

out of curiosity, how many books per year are people reading? i set my goal as 60 this year and i will be coming in right on target (hopefully) by dec 31.
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾
User avatar
abs
Queen Witch
 
Posts: 9903
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:22 pm
Location: Ys

Postby manvstrees » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:21 am

Image
((Stuffed is loved by old and young because this is where the puddings get sent in. Criss-cross paving and those tinkly hanging bells make ((Stuffed a very homely access to Hades. Full marks.
User avatar
manvstrees
 
Posts: 16222
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:24 pm
Location: brooklyn

Postby trigross » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:14 am

the upland trout wrote:Image


how are these books? they sound weird and right in my wheelhouse
User avatar
trigross
our chow yun-fat
 
Posts: 2045
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:38 am
Location: duluth mn

Postby Guy Incognito » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:15 am

atomicbombshell wrote:out of curiosity, how many books per year are people reading? i set my goal as 60 this year and i will be coming in right on target (hopefully) by dec 31.


i don't keep track but off the top of my head i did around 30 last year
wendy wrote:It is not dank
User avatar
Guy Incognito
Infernal Dinosaur
 
Posts: 31631
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: on lot

Postby sadville » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:27 am

i only read about 20 this year

not a good year for me :(
User avatar
sadville
 
Posts: 8486
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:35 pm
Location: soul lips

Postby trigross » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:31 am

yeah i done goofed this year too
User avatar
trigross
our chow yun-fat
 
Posts: 2045
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:38 am
Location: duluth mn

Postby wollogallu » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:31 am

~78
User avatar
wollogallu
 
Posts: 563
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:56 pm

Postby landspeedrecord » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:49 am

think I did about 25-0 this year, which is probably what I have averaged since graduating from college. would like to double that
rather be an idiot than a sheeple
User avatar
landspeedrecord
 
Posts: 9549
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:06 am
Location: Brooklyn

Postby Kenny » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:53 am

I think I'm about 3000 this year, give or take a few
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage
Never forget, other opinions are available
User avatar
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee
 
Posts: 17262
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:04 am
Location: https://i.imgur.com/YhvNstr.jpg

Postby adam sampler » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:08 pm

Kenny wrote:
adam sampler wrote:Image

mediocre


I read Half Empty after liking his stories on TAL, but yeah I gave up halfway through because it was just bland stuff

yeah, I want to finish this just because I've had this on my Goodreads front page since high school and found it at Housing Works for like 2 bucks. but might have to abandon it despite its length
User avatar
adam sampler
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:43 pm

Postby the upland trout » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:21 pm

cooly wrote:
the upland trout wrote:Why don't you like about Pippin, Pinkard, etc.? From what I remember from graduate school, I know that Pinkard sorta turns Hegel into a social epistemologist.

i guess that post sounded more negative than i meant it to be, but i basically feel like hegel is a metaphysician and a lot of the analytic commentary tries to tame him in a way to make him more friendly to trends in current thought, and it ends up being a distortion of the texts. i think i was also being negative partly because i was addressing you because i think the fact that hegel is a metaphysician is so important to marx and the frankfurt school's understandings of him, so i felt like i wanted to qualify the brandom recommendation because i felt like the reading according to which hegel was basically the later wittgenstein wasn't going to sit right.

pippen is the worst offender to me because he's also just not very detail oriented. it feels like a reading without a text. pinkard is better, but brandom is the best of those because he is very careful and detail oriented even though he gives a reading i don't think i agree with. brandom also builds a great narrative to his reading that sort of re-situates the text in interesting ways. that said the hyppolite is more true of hegel than that book / manuscript is imo.


I think I would have more tolerance for Brandom taking liberties with the text than someone like Pinkard. It seems to me that Brandom's work on Hegel and other thinkers is part of his larger philosophical project, and as such I don't really expect his Hegel to be the Hegel scholar's Hegel.

I've read a bit of the Brandom text and it seems really interesting. Do you have any idea how close it is to publication?

Have you read Beiser?
User avatar
the upland trout
 
Posts: 620
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:27 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Postby the upland trout » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:29 pm

trigross wrote:
the upland trout wrote:Image


how are these books? they sound weird and right in my wheelhouse


I haven't quite started the second one (currently trying to finish up grading), but I really really liked The Crimson Bears. It was really charming and goofy, there are lots of long descriptions of strange things (ornate jackets and weird machines), and I loved the writing. There is not, however, a really strong plot.
User avatar
the upland trout
 
Posts: 620
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:27 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Postby Kenny » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:29 pm

adam sampler wrote:
Kenny wrote:
adam sampler wrote:Image

mediocre


I read Half Empty after liking his stories on TAL, but yeah I gave up halfway through because it was just bland stuff

yeah, I want to finish this just because I've had this on my Goodreads front page since high school and found it at Housing Works for like 2 bucks. but might have to abandon it despite its length


I haven't really loved a David Sedaris book either despite liking him a lot on NPR/TAL, so I think maybe (for me) it's just the transition to text doesn't work well? I dunno. I also watched a few David Rakoff videos after posting that and maybe I'm out of my twee 20s phase of humorists..

Still kind of want to give Love Disonor Marry Die Cherish Perish a shot
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage
Never forget, other opinions are available
User avatar
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee
 
Posts: 17262
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:04 am
Location: https://i.imgur.com/YhvNstr.jpg

Postby Melville » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:41 pm

cooly wrote:
Melville wrote:
the upland trout wrote:Yeah my comprehension of the book takes a nosedive with the Reason section and only gradually recovers.

Definitely. The stuff on (self-)consciousness is a lot more relatable, both to personal experience and to later phenomenology. It also often becomes hard to parse what "stratum" of existence he was talking about -- from an individual up to humanity as a whole. Though that leads to a lot of thoughts about the mirroring of processes between different strata, which becomes one of the most fascinating things about the book.

What is your research on, if you don't mind me asking?

the reason section only makes any sense if you've studied kant pretty thoroughly. it's the section of the book that is most directly in engagement with another system, so this reaction makes sense.

I've read a fair bit of Kant (Critique of Pure Reason, Critique of Practical Reason, one of his books on ethics), but I probably should have been doing more direct cross-referencing while reading the reason section of Hegel. I think I've now mostly forgotten what was actually in that section, other than some obviously outdated science. I should read more philosophy. Every once in a while I realize my mind has turned to absolute mush.
Image
User avatar
Melville
 
Posts: 303
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:55 am

Postby Melville » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:44 pm

the upland trout wrote:
Melville wrote:
the upland trout wrote:Yeah my comprehension of the book takes a nosedive with the Reason section and only gradually recovers.

Definitely. The stuff on (self-)consciousness is a lot more relatable, both to personal experience and to later phenomenology. It also often becomes hard to parse what "stratum" of existence he was talking about -- from an individual up to humanity as a whole. Though that leads to a lot of thoughts about the mirroring of processes between different strata, which becomes one of the most fascinating things about the book.

What is your research on, if you don't mind me asking?


Right now I'm mostly working in STS, disability studies, and environmental philosophy. Very abstractly stated, I'm interested in exploring the technological and ecological dimensions of the construction of disability and ability.

However I am also very interested in the Frankfurt School, leftist/Marxist thought more generally, and Adorno in particular. But I also feel that my grasp of this material is a bit too uncertain to comfortably make use of it in my current work. Reading Hegel is a way of hopefully getting more comfortable with all of this.

Sounds cool. (Though as a clueless physicist, I have no idea what STS stands for.) I can definitely see that Marx's reaction to Hegel could tie into your interests.
Image
User avatar
Melville
 
Posts: 303
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:55 am

Postby Dead_Wizard » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:54 pm

Very much enjoying Rainald Goetz's "Insane". Reads like a series of vignettes on mental health from the perspective of patient and clinician. Traces of Bernhard, Gaddis, etc. I love his ability to inhabit the mind of an MD (he went to med school) one of the most convincing "clinical" voices I've seen in fiction.
User avatar
Dead_Wizard
 
Posts: 6866
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:45 pm

Postby Melville » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:04 pm

I used to read 20-30+ books every year. Last couple years I've pretty much only read comics.
Image
User avatar
Melville
 
Posts: 303
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:55 am

Postby Dead_Wizard » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:11 pm

I wouldn't get too hung up over numbers considering books vary in length from 2 pages to 10,000+
User avatar
Dead_Wizard
 
Posts: 6866
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:45 pm

Postby the upland trout » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:54 pm

Melville wrote:
the upland trout wrote:
Melville wrote:
the upland trout wrote:Yeah my comprehension of the book takes a nosedive with the Reason section and only gradually recovers.

Definitely. The stuff on (self-)consciousness is a lot more relatable, both to personal experience and to later phenomenology. It also often becomes hard to parse what "stratum" of existence he was talking about -- from an individual up to humanity as a whole. Though that leads to a lot of thoughts about the mirroring of processes between different strata, which becomes one of the most fascinating things about the book.

What is your research on, if you don't mind me asking?


Right now I'm mostly working in STS, disability studies, and environmental philosophy. Very abstractly stated, I'm interested in exploring the technological and ecological dimensions of the construction of disability and ability.

However I am also very interested in the Frankfurt School, leftist/Marxist thought more generally, and Adorno in particular. But I also feel that my grasp of this material is a bit too uncertain to comfortably make use of it in my current work. Reading Hegel is a way of hopefully getting more comfortable with all of this.

Sounds cool. (Though as a clueless physicist, I have no idea what STS stands for.) I can definitely see that Marx's reaction to Hegel could tie into your interests.


Ah, STS stands for Science, Technology, Society. It is a field that studies how these things (science, technology, society, culture, etc) interact and affect one another.
User avatar
the upland trout
 
Posts: 620
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:27 pm
Location: Philadelphia

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bobble, crash.landing, danno, danslog, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], loaf angel, mealy potatoes, mynamerocks, NegativeCapability, number none, pablito, scrumptown, Spoons, That Demon Life, trampoline, trouble, wong