what are you reading right now?

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby gargamel » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:34 pm

i just finished the guermantes way (which has a great ending, wow) and decided to take a break to read transit. i loved outline so i have sky-high expectations. after that i have lincoln in the bardo and class trip to scope out. anyone read carrere? what's good?
gargamel

Postby scarsdalevibe » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:36 pm

I just read Guermantes Way a few months ago. Descriptions of food were my favorite! Also the chapter after his grandmother diedToggle Spoiler, wow.
scarsdalevibe

Postby scarsdalevibe » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:38 pm

zellar wrote:
atomicbombshell wrote:actually, speaking of... today i reread one of my childhood favorites:

this is such an amazing girl-positive book about a scrappy, stubborn, smart princess living with dragons. highly recommended for any little gal you know aged 8-14.

This was a very cool recommendation. I got it to read with my daughters (they're 7) and they love it. Do you know if the rest of the series is as good?

Absolutely loved this whole series as a kid. I was really into dragons in general but these were my favorites.
scarsdalevibe

Postby scarsdalevibe » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:43 pm

dvr wrote:Next up, I started it maybe about 12 years ago, got 100 pages in and put it down:

working my way through this right now. struggling with it a bit - the quotient of made up words is almost too high to read smoothly. but wacky weird things are definitely happening
scarsdalevibe

Postby powderfinger » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:45 pm

haha nothing about Wolfe or BOTNS makes for smooth reading

but it's the best; the fucking best
powderfinger

Postby zellar » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:53 pm

No Good Advice wrote:
atomicbombshell wrote:
ALSO please get your girls into Image if they don't know it already. such a good girl-positive novel.

this is great. lindgren is great

Thanks for these recommendations - ordering this one as well. I've struggled a little bit getting them into longer form stories (tried Harry Potter and a few others but they weren't that interested). They're loving Dealing with Dragons though and I keep catching them reading with flashlights after lights out. Very cool to see.
zellar

Postby gargamel » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:52 pm

scarsdalevibe wrote:I just read Guermantes Way a few months ago. Descriptions of food were my favorite! Also the chapter after his grandmother diedToggle Spoiler, wow.

yes i am very close with mine still so that part was very hard-hitting. in general it's pretty satisfying to go through an arid passage of proust, like the dreyfusard stuff, finally feeling confident eventually he's going to return to something incredible
gargamel

Postby Kwisatz Haderach » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:18 pm

Universal Harvester
Kwisatz Haderach

Postby quilty » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:23 pm

gargamel wrote:in general it's pretty satisfying to go through an arid passage of proust, like the dreyfusard stuff, finally feeling confident eventually he's going to return to something incredible

this is one of the best incidentals of the novel being so huge overall
my secret? i voted for jools stein™
quilty
ok

Postby atomicbombshell » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:12 pm

zellar wrote:
No Good Advice wrote:
atomicbombshell wrote:
ALSO please get your girls into Image if they don't know it already. such a good girl-positive novel.

this is great. lindgren is great

Thanks for these recommendations - ordering this one as well. I've struggled a little bit getting them into longer form stories (tried Harry Potter and a few others but they weren't that interested). They're loving Dealing with Dragons though and I keep catching them reading with flashlights after lights out. Very cool to see.

rad. try them on redwall, too. starting with martin the warrior.
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾

The moon put her hand over my mouth and told me to shut up and watch.
atomicbombshell
Queen Witch

Postby the upland trout » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:22 pm

the upland trout

Postby vivian darko » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:23 pm

the upland trout wrote:Image

:D
vivian darko

Postby the upland trout » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:24 pm

vivian darkbloom wrote:
the upland trout wrote:Image

:D

Haha. What do you think of Bergson?
the upland trout

Postby vivian darko » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:26 pm

Love him
vivian darko

Postby the upland trout » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:35 pm

Cool. I started reading him to just fill in some gaps in my knowledge, but right now I'm about halfway through and finding it much more persuasive and interesting than I was expecting... though some of his ideas about memory still seem really bizarre to me. But maybe I just don't quite understand him yet. And even if it's as bizarre as it seems, it's still entertaining.

I'll almost certainly start Creative Evolution right after I finish Matter and Memory.
the upland trout

Postby alaska » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:33 am

i've been procrastinating on a longer write-up i wanted to do for y'all but figured i'd mention octavia butler's parable of the sower was absolutely terrific
alaska
ride.

Postby scarsdalevibe » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:35 am

alaska wrote:i've been procrastinating on a longer write-up i wanted to do for y'all but figured i'd mention octavia butler's parable of the sower was absolutely terrific

great book!
scarsdalevibe

Postby bazooka » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:43 pm

what are some good "page turners"? i used to do this thing where i'd read some lite fiction to switch my brain into reading mode, before moving onto whatever. my best reading was done during this period, and i want to get back into it. but yeah any tips for books that are easy to burn through where you want to know what happens next?
bazooka

Postby scarsdalevibe » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:51 pm

bazooka wrote:what are some good "page turners"? i used to do this thing where i'd read some lite fiction to switch my brain into reading mode, before moving onto whatever. my best reading was done during this period, and i want to get back into it. but yeah any tips for books that are easy to burn through where you want to know what happens next?

I recently read Anansi Boys and had that experience. Also generally any YA has done this for me. I have a similar strategy - pageturner in between denser reads
scarsdalevibe

Postby meeshpotato » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:53 pm

bazooka wrote:what are some good "page turners"? i used to do this thing where i'd read some lite fiction to switch my brain into reading mode, before moving onto whatever. my best reading was done during this period, and i want to get back into it. but yeah any tips for books that are easy to burn through where you want to know what happens next?

tapping the source if it sounds like it'd be your thing
meeshpotato

Postby nocents » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:39 pm

all grown up by jami attenberg, which just came out last week, fits this. the book focuses on a woman in her late 30s who isn't hitting the same life milestones as other people (kids/marriage/job/etc.) but who is still, in her way, growing up. it's non-chronological, and the short-ish chapters flit around between most of the decades of her life. the same basic friends/family show up throughout the years, but the way that she interacts with them changes. the book kind of feels like memory, with how it swirls around between important moments in her life.
nocents

Postby vivian darko » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:34 pm

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
vivian darko

Postby scramble » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:36 pm

currently:

- new Baffler
- Jane Jacobs, Vital Little Plans
- John Dewey, Child and Curriculum / School and Society
- Terry Eagleton, Culture

I don't know why I am juggling these... two are from the library so I should read those first

I'm all over the place
scramble

Postby Seamus » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:09 pm

Not sure if this was widely read here, but I got through this over the last few days. I thought it was really great for the most part and full of raw honesty and beautiful sentences. Occasionally it was bad. Or at least I found a lot of my most hated literature tropes buried between the great stuff. Anyway, good read, recommended.

This is not your mother's memoir. In The Chronology of Water, Lidia Yuknavitch expertly moves the reader through issues of gender, sexuality, violence, and the family from the point of view of a lifelong swimmer turned artist. In writing that explores the nature of memoir itself, her story traces the effect of extreme grief on a young woman's developing sexuality that some define as untraditional because of her attraction to both men and women. Her emergence as a writer evolves at the same time and takes the narrator on a journey of addiction, self-destruction, and ultimately survival that finally comes in the shape of love and motherhood.
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby Seamus » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:14 pm

Wolfe - The Bonfire of the Vanities (long but def. a page turner)
Vesaas - The Ice Palace
Simenon - Red Lights

In fact, probably any NYRB Simenon book

Seamus

Postby Ampersand » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:28 pm

Octavia Butler's Kindred
Ampersand

Postby mudd » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:51 pm

With the mention of simenon, I just read a maigret mystery in like 3 hours and it was good page-turning fun. No nyrb but still.

m
mudd

Postby atomicbombshell » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:55 pm

this was a 24 hour read.
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾

The moon put her hand over my mouth and told me to shut up and watch.
atomicbombshell
Queen Witch

Postby Kwisatz Haderach » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:16 am

fakename wrote:can someone explain universal harvester to me? I think I missed a few things
are the videos supposed to be footage of deprogrammings of church members and surveillance from the detectives hired to find lisa's mom?Toggle Spoiler

Yes, that is stated explicitly by Lisa.Toggle Spoiler
was it suggested that one of the videos was of jeremy's mom before her car crash?Toggle Spoiler

The dad says this when watching the tape but with the way he is talked down I assumed he was mistaken. Honestly it would be a more interesting novel if this we're the case. Like, what if she died in a car accident after running away from the deprogramming? But Jeremy and the dad were never involved in that group searching for lost loved ones, but she could have been a recent church participant who hadn't totally absconded yet. I think the answer is just No.Toggle Spoiler

Definitely preferred Wolf in White Van.
Kwisatz Haderach

Postby Seamus » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:14 am

atomicbombshell wrote:Image

this was a 24 hour read.

I finished this a couple of weeks ago but it took me a little while to read, I think mainly because I was finding the subject matter difficult (but also because I still hate reading on tablets). I love Didion though, she's one of my favourites.

Finished this today:

It was good! It's basically a collection of snapshots of people's lives and their search for religion & spirituality in modern India and the subcontinent. Their stories are blended with descriptions of their beliefs and traditions (some of which are FASCINATING - hell yeah skull drinkers living in the cremation ground worshipping the badass demonic female mother goddess whilst taking drugs, having ritualistic tantric sex and listening to cricket on the radio), how they clash with - and often are being lost to - the modern world, and anthropology. Disclaimer though; I'm very infatuated with India so the subject matter is probably more appealing to me from the get go.

Next up:

Seamus

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All