what are you reading right now?

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby galactagogue » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:45 am

walt whitman wrote:oh man, Augé

another good book for coping with loss-of-Self from being a foreigner in a foreign land is

:ugeek: cool, i will hunt for this one at the next bookstore ha
Da Bing Boy wrote:future of work is going to be hilarious, actually

galactagogue

Postby jalapeño ranch » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:58 am

I'm only a third of the way through but I've been really enjoying this.

I'm not sure if Jane Campion is still set to make an adaptation but I'm interested to see how this could be made into a movie.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

Postby walt whitman » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:26 pm

ahhh this is so good! :ryan:

i can't believe i waited so long to dive in. bruno opens up new areas of research into film. she relates filmic components of projection, the screen, the image, and light itself to concepts of textile and fabrication - folds, "weathering," scrims, curtain, stains/coatings.

it is super helpful for engaging a range of new moving-image art that exists in between traditional cinema, interior design, installation, architecture, and sculpture. and bruno is an amazing stylist;, her prose is as far from the drily academic as it gets.

some cool images from her book

“Short film, Long film, It’s ALL film!” - Walt Whitman

walt whitman

Postby joebagel » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:24 pm

Don Quixote is so so good.

joebagel

Postby Christmas Ape » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:53 am

jalapeño ranch wrote:I'm only a third of the way through but I've been really enjoying this.

I'm not sure if Jane Campion is still set to make an adaptation but I'm interested to see how this could be made into a movie.

Read this a few years back and adored it.

Currently reading this 1993 book about neoliberal reforms in NZ by one of my old professors for something else I'm writing

Up next:

Christmas Ape

Postby capn poopypants » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:49 am

I'm reading The Crying of Lot 49 for the first time, and I'm enjoying it. I haven't read an entire Pynchon book, but I'm glad the prose isn't as dense nor the plot as confusing as the other books of his i've glanced at in the library.

also, i heard that Inherent Vice is his worst work.. does anybody know anything about that or have an opinion? i bought the audiobook and need someone to validate whether i shoudl listen

capn poopypants

Postby woozy ducks » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:19 am

Just finished:

One of my favorite history books I've read. Tried following it up with "We wish to inform you.." but can't hold up. I have Move Your Shadow on the way.

Until then, reading:

Last edited by woozy ducks on Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

woozy ducks

Postby bongo » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:23 am

capn poopypants wrote:also, i heard that Inherent Vice is his worst work.. does anybody know anything about that or have an opinion? i bought the audiobook and need someone to validate whether i shoudl listen

IV is definitely better than the bleeding edge. i contend that it's maybe the most succinct and accessible iteration of pynchons style (i.e. relatively straightforward/genre plotting which becomes complicated and derailed by the accretion of absurd/surreal/cryptic detritus)

it's a very fun and quick read
Last edited by bongo on Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life

bongo
man in hammock

Postby vivian darko » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:23 am

Bleeding Edge rules
PROBLEM ATTIC wrote:I see dear sweet Vivian, one of the boys of Lmao

vivian darko

Postby bongo » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:24 am

yeah

i like all of his work
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life

bongo
man in hammock

Postby gold and glass » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:16 pm

i don't think i've ever heard anyone talk about this guy but i just pulled this off our shelf for the first time (my girlfriend has had it sitting there for years) and i think i feel more of a kinship with him as far as my own writing/sense of humor goes than with anyone else i've ever read
fuck you and your corporation

gold and glass
ok

Postby henges » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:37 pm

walt whitman wrote:[giuliana bruno post]

this looks really good, thx for posting this ! do you have any recs on other texts on film/vid-art ?

henges

Postby moses » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:32 pm

Only a quarter of the way through, but this is brilliant. Beautiful prose, especially for a history book.

Comes with Susan Sontag quote on back for those unsure..

'A great achievement. Hughes has a story to tell as vivid, large-scale, and appalling as anything by Dickens or Solzhenitsyn, but one that was virtually unknown - until the writing of this splendid book'
Susan Sontag
moses

Postby tonybricker » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:23 pm

dvr wrote:Just finished:

One of my favorite history books I've read. Tried following it up with "We wish to inform you.." but can't hold up. I have Move Your Shadow on the way.

Until then, reading:

The Revelation Space series is some of my favorite science fiction, hope you like it

tonybricker

Postby mudd » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:58 pm

Daniil Kharms used to be a regular appearer in this thread but it's been a while. Haven't read him myself, but if you dig far enough back you'll probably find other people get similarly.

Inherent vice is fine. the movie is great too.

m
mudd

Postby HotFingersClub » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:24 am

I raved about Daniil Kharms a ways back. I feel exactly the same as you, and that collection is incredible. Reading it, I had this weird feeling of being completely anticipated.

Tim Key made a brilliant 30 min Radio 4 documentary on his life and work, with readings by Daniel Kitson
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b072n5xc

PS If you write like Kharms, I want to read your writing

HotFingersClub

Postby walt whitman » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:15 am

henges wrote:
walt whitman wrote:[giuliana bruno post]

this looks really good, thx for posting this ! do you have any recs on other texts on film/vid-art ?

Oh ya, I could recc your ear off, lol

Im sorta in this headspace where I'm drawn to experimental media that eroticizes technology or otherwise emphasizes flesh/sexuality/touch, so that's been reflected in my reading

so, some other cool things in the bruno vein

*a catalogue for a recent whitney museum exhibition more or less based on bruno's Surface Matters book

walt whitman

Postby Conetoaster » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:25 am

Conetoaster

Postby walt whitman » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:42 pm

about 75% through w this. meh. it has moments of brilliance - gibson's mouthpiece hollis henry waxing about "locative" art and underground music and GPS tech - but man this feels slight and extremely dated, only a decade old.
mainly makes me feel nostalgic for the 1980s gibson who set the agenda for sci-fi for two solid decades. this feels like a half hearted exit to respectable "literary fiction"

walt whitman

Postby Barthes Starr » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:58 pm

after a french friend read the original and alerted me to its impending translation, i picked up a review copy fairly intrigued by the presumably fun prospect of a detective story that poses roland barthes' death (hit by a truck irl) as an international conspiracy

ultimately it's a really clunky book peddling a pretentious (and dull!) barrage of winks and nods to readers well versed in 70s/80s french theory. main characters include foucault, derrida (is killed by dogs in the 4th chapter), sollers, roman jakobson, kristeva, umberto eco, john searle (who inexplicably suicides into a gorge in Ithaca???), and many more figures dotting the semiotics/poststructuralist landscape + a bizarrely muddled portrayal of the mitterand/giscard election

have had a hard time trying to figure out who possibly is situated in the overlapped demographic of a venn diagram that would, on one side, have any grasp on the academic references while, on the other, be even vaguely able to stomach what is frankly a YA level artemis fowl type caper

has it's moments though i guess, like judith butler pegging a cop at a cornell frat party

Barthes Starr

Postby number none » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:00 pm

so it's the post-structuralist Ready Player One?

number none

Postby gargamel » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:04 pm

man that's disappointing. i really enjoyed HHhH and had been eagerly anticipating 7th function.

gargamel

Postby walt whitman » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:18 pm

yeah i dunno, HHhH was sweet and that description is p irresistible, lol

walt whitman

Postby mystery meat » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:30 pm

this owns

mystery meat

Postby gold and glass » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:27 pm

HotFingersClub wrote:I raved about Daniil Kharms a ways back. I feel exactly the same as you, and that collection is incredible. Reading it, I had this weird feeling of being completely anticipated.

Tim Key made a brilliant 30 min Radio 4 documentary on his life and work, with readings by Daniel Kitson
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b072n5xc

PS If you write like Kharms, I want to read your writing

Thank you so much for this! And actually I'm a cartoonist, so it's more like discovering his brief, meaningless tales that almost always end in someone or everyone suddenly dying made me feel better about the morbid, deadpan sense of humor I'd been expressing and doubting in my stuff.
fuck you and your corporation

gold and glass
ok

Postby Barthes Starr » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:42 pm

walt whitman wrote:yeah i dunno, HHhH was sweet and that description is p irresistible, lol

yeah i mean it's a quick read despite the 350 pages, and i should give credit to its occasional redeemable moments which do exist, but on the whole i was pretty disappointed. i've not read HHhH so unfortunately cannot compare the two, but perhaps this one suffers from a poor/hasty translation idk

there's also a bit that is entirely dispensable as far as the plot is concerned where one character, after enrolling at Columbia, recounts meeting a student that he "has a feeling can go far in politics.. maybe even be a senator" that just so happens to be "a black guy from Hawaii"... which is the sort of on the nose allusion that is p illustrative of this entire book's tone

Barthes Starr

Postby Barthes Starr » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:47 pm

chomsky also makes out w camille paglia at one point lol

Barthes Starr

Postby Dead_Wizard » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:58 pm

Reading Sam Lipsyte's "The Ask" right now. About 2/3 of the way done and kinda happy it's almost over. Having a hard time articulating my annoyance with it, other than that it felt like it was focus grouped to appeal to NY lit scene folks. It tries to hit these emotional beats but he always HAS to use some smart (G)ass word play (see I can do it to) that just pulls the emotional punch out of what he's trying to accomplish.

Dead_Wizard

Postby walt whitman » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:19 pm

Barthes Starr wrote:chomsky also makes out w camille paglia at one point lol

Yeah ok, this almost sounds like Michel Houellebecq territory, which would be v bad

walt whitman

Postby DammitSteve » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:33 pm

just barely started this, but boy this guy can write. Been hankering for historical fiction and I think this is gonna really satisfy.

DammitSteve

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley