Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby winjer » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:48 pm

cool. have had that on the shelf forever & keep wanting to pick it up, but have been hesitant to after being rather unmoved by People in The Trees
winjer

Postby winjer » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:57 pm

this was another recent read that helped suck me back in after a slump
winjer

Postby warmhouse » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:07 pm

madness and chaos wrote:a little life is so devastating and good for a renewed love of fiction

when i started that, i kept mixing all the guys up. I'd be like "wha? which one is this again?"

and by the end of the book.... well... i knew them all pretty well
warmhouse

Postby r m » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:19 pm

Why not?
r m

Postby mission » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:14 pm

St Aubyn's Patrick Melrose novels.

I couldn't hack the child abuse scene. Just couldn't read it - which is the first time I have ever swerved fictive ugliness in many years of reading transgressive/outsider/risky/bold literature.

The nonstop parade of detestable aristos does wear a bit thin but there's a good line on pretty much every page and anyone who has learnt that heightened awareness and intelligence aren't actually helpful will find much with which to empathise.

The truth was that he hated the very rich, especially since he was never going to be one of them. They were all too often only the shrill pea in the whistle of their possessions. Without the editorial influence of the word “afford,” their desires rambled on like unstoppable bores, relentless and whimsical at the same time.

Good.
mission

Postby theta » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:22 pm

Jeremy wrote:If you want a vision of the future, imagine a sarcastic serf - forever.
theta

Postby walt whitman » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:43 pm

reversemigraine wrote:Image

Why not?

jeter's an interesting writer. curious how that goes for you
walt whitman

Postby abs » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:58 pm

this was a killer reread. ugh. ugh ugh ugh.

this book is amazing.
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾

thistle in the kiss
abs
Queen Witch

Postby ahungbunny » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:37 am

i've seriously never seen a delany book in any used bookstore, and i've been looking off and on for like seven years now. am i extremely unlucky or are yinz just ordering stuff new and/or from the internet
ahungbunny

Postby theta » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:38 am

i pirate all my ebooks sorry delany i love youToggle Spoiler
Jeremy wrote:If you want a vision of the future, imagine a sarcastic serf - forever.
theta

Postby ahungbunny » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:38 am

i'm currently reading some dumb book about blackbeard that's mostly boring public record stuff because there's almost nothing primary written about the guy. that's what i get for a blind purchase when i wanna learn about pirates
ahungbunny

Postby ahungbunny » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:40 am

theta wrote:i pirate all my ebooks sorry delany i love youToggle Spoiler

that cover/style is so cool that it made me angry i never see anything and prompted me to complain about it

nice work
ahungbunny

Postby theta » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:43 am

first of all it matched my av

second of all i love that style of science fiction paperback cover so much i am thinking of wheedling a half sleeve inspired by it out of the artist that did my last tattoo

the irony is i don't own any literal sci-fi paperbacks
theta

Postby ahungbunny » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:49 am

that's a great idea

that 60s penguin pocket /-style paperback is the best, they're the #1 reason i buy second copies of books

kinda also feel they make novels seem smaller and more digestible and that's especially attractive to me
ahungbunny

Postby theta » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:51 am

yes they're also real easy to gift away or lend to a friend w/o worrying about getting them back
theta

Postby abs » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:08 am

I'll send ya one when I find one at my next big book pick up, ahb
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾

thistle in the kiss
abs
Queen Witch

Postby ahungbunny » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:13 am

aw man that'd be great, thank you
ahungbunny

Postby Eyeball Kid » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:24 am

The Communist - Guido Morselli

I'm enjoying this more as the study of an Italian parliament member's slow disillusionment with his association with the PCI* and less as an explication of communism in Italy in the late 50's.

*I'm intentionally using the acronym for the original-language name Partito Comunista Italiano, as the English translation results in

ImageToggle Spoiler
Eyeball Kid

Postby mudd » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:25 am

i used to see those old delany paperbacks around a fair bit. the fall of the towers in particular, which is unfortunate because it isn't great.

friend of mine uses old sci fi covers as source material for cover art for his tape label.

m
mudd

Postby walt whitman » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:11 pm

theta wrote:i love that style of science fiction paperback cover so much i am thinking of wheedling a half sleeve inspired by it out of the artist that did my last tattoo

woah this could legit become its own tattoo subgenre, awesome idea
walt whitman

Postby walt whitman » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:12 pm

ahungbunny wrote:i've seriously never seen a delany book in any used bookstore, and i've been looking off and on for like seven years now. am i extremely unlucky or are yinz just ordering stuff new and/or from the internet

interesting. i never seem to find vollmann in used bookstores. maybe the hipinion canon just distorts my expectations for what a bookstore should carry
walt whitman

Postby winjer » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:49 pm

i couldn't handle lime works right now & i found this at the used bookstore yesterday so

that exact old little hardcover :)

someone asked me about the berger book last page & i will definitely report back once i've read a decent amount
winjer

Postby ahungbunny » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:40 pm

walt whitman wrote:
ahungbunny wrote:i've seriously never seen a delany book in any used bookstore, and i've been looking off and on for like seven years now. am i extremely unlucky or are yinz just ordering stuff new and/or from the internet

interesting. i never seem to find vollmann in used bookstores. maybe the hipinion canon just distorts my expectations for what a bookstore should carry

ha, i see vollman stuff e v e r y w h e r e
ahungbunny

Postby mondays » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:23 pm

just finished:

currently:
mondays

Postby the upland trout » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:03 am

the upland trout

Postby walt whitman » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:39 am

walt whitman

Postby freezinseason » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:08 am

finally got enough downtime to have a proper read again :)
freezinseason

Postby office plant » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:50 pm

abs did you read the new philip pullman yet? i just blew through it in like a day
office plant

Postby Hambelt » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:56 pm

ahungbunny wrote:
theta wrote:i pirate all my ebooks sorry delany i love youToggle Spoiler

that cover/style is so cool that it made me angry i never see anything and prompted me to complain about it

nice work

I have this book and a couple others of his in this cover style but I haven't read any of them cuz I use to buy old sci-fi-fi books by the pile and won't ever get around to reading them all
Hambelt

Postby dmitry » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:05 pm

finished the first revelation space book. maybe... 5 things actually happen in 600 pages. it's an alright book -- the science is hard, the characters are all pieces of shit, the universe is bleak which is cool for a space opera. it's just that he uses the same pattern for conversations and plot timing and it gets old. it's also his first -- does anyone know if he hones it in a bit in the other revelation spaces? im pretty tempted to just jump into the next book but i dunno, if im gonna read a space opera i should read foundation or something

i started the third sprawl book but gibson drops the n word on like the third page and i thikn im gonna take my business elsewhere. i dont know, i want to see what happens to molly millions but there are a lot of other books out there. if im being honest with myself i would probably keep right on reading if i was that interested in the book, because gibson uses blackness in indefensible ways in both other sprawl books, but thats what made me put it down

i think im finally gonna dig into the unreal and the real
dmitry

PreviousNext

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.