what are you reading right now?

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby abs » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:32 am

Love Pan! Love the Master & Margarita!
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾

abs
Queen Witch

Postby Kenny » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:05 am

I finished Franny & Zooey yesterday. I had never read it before and I'm happy to have read it now, some of the discussion it has is some of my favorite Salinger now. Zooey is an interesting character, I was impressed how he could make him both annoying and cool at the same time. I feel like there's a lot to chew on with what they were talking about to each other. I could totally get why some people may not get into it or think enough is enough from Salinger, but it was up my alley especially what I'm going through now.

I also read to Bridge to Terebithia which was still sad even as an adult. As a kid though when I read it I was mostly taken up by the imaginary kingdom they had and I remember it has almost a fantasy book but reading through it as an adult it was funny how the Terebithia stuff fell aside for the family story and the friendship story. I think she gave a lot of character to Jesse which I'm impressed about in a kids book.
[PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] (stay posi)

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those you choose to accept and live by.

Without Labour there is no Rest; nor without Fighting can the Victory be Won ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Kenny » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:45 am

Does anybody have experience with both the cheapest kindle and the one-step-up of the paperwhite? Does the whiter background and more dpi change the experience of reading on the kindle?

I ask because I have the cheaper one, but would like to love reading on it more as I'd like less clutter of books hanging around

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those you choose to accept and live by.

Without Labour there is no Rest; nor without Fighting can the Victory be Won ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby CelticFC#1 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:09 pm

Kenny wrote:Does anybody have experience with both the cheapest kindle and the one-step-up of the paperwhite? Does the whiter background and more dpi change the experience of reading on the kindle?

I ask because I have the cheaper one, but would like to love reading on it more as I'd like less clutter of books hanging around

My cheap as fuck Kindle broke recently after 4 years, so I just got a Paperwhite. Backlight alone is worth the upgrade and text is obviously a lot cleaner/easier to read.

CelticFC#1

Postby Kenny » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:36 pm

My worry is I've got the 5th generation one with side buttons, how's the touch screen treating you

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby powderfinger » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:41 pm

Paperwhite is worth every penny over the non-backlit and lower DPI Kindle. I do miss buttons, but it's a small price to pay for a much better display.

powderfinger

Postby CelticFC#1 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:46 pm

Kenny wrote:My worry is I've got the 5th generation one with side buttons, how's the touch screen treating you

You quickly get used to it. You will have errant page turns occasionally, but the touch feature is a lot better for highlighting and for definition look up.

The only real downside I've noticed is that they've got rid of the % bar at the bottom. It's now 'Time left...' for either the chapter you're on or the full book.

CelticFC#1

Postby whatabout tim » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:11 pm

I love my paperwhite. I've read it comfortably in bed and on a sunny beach with no display problems. Absolutely the perfect size too.
tim
whatabout tim

Postby bongo » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:14 pm

god thjis rules. i really compass but i was a bit skeptical of this bc of the structural conceit (its all one sentence) but i think i like it better than compass, enard is the real deal
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life

bongo
man in hammock

Postby a falsetto child » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:45 pm

Having just finished a Wire re-watch last month, I think I'm going to pick this up.

a falsetto child

Postby reversemigraine » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:50 pm

CelticFC#1 wrote:The only real downside I've noticed is that they've got rid of the % bar at the bottom. It's now 'Time left...' for either the chapter you're on or the full book.

Doesn't that change if you tap it?

reversemigraine

Postby number none » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:55 pm

it does on mine...

number none

Postby Kenny » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:18 pm

I'm almost done with Raise High The Roofbeams/Seymour an Introduction, and so almost finished with all the published in book form Salinger and I can't be the first to think it but also I don't want to look it up and I'm half in the bag with whiskey but where Buddy Glass is always touted as a Salinger stand in, I think Seymour is sort of the aspirational Salinger or the hopes that he will create true art to stand the test of time, or more crudely the hope that he is a genius.

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Malcolm Money » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:19 am

Finished Book 5 of My Struggle this morning, I tore through the damn thing over the last ten days and it felt oddly comforting being back in his headspace again. I read Books 1, 2, and a third of 3 before tapping out a few years back for a reason I no longer remember, bought Book 4 and couldn't get through the first few pages so I figured I was done with his whole project, though I couldn't help buying Book 5 when it was released and it promptly sat on my shelf until I randomly decided to start it after finding myself in a "writerly" headspace so it caught my eye.

But finishing so quickly I don't know what to read next, I can't figure out what mood I'm in and Matthiessen's At Play In the Fields of the Lord isn't looking as interesting as when I bought it a few weeks back.
It's comforting to think that somewhere unfathomably far away incomprehensible beings are possibly having some kind of subjective experience of a world that possibly observes basically the same laws as our own

Malcolm Money

Postby CelticFC#1 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:13 am

reversemigraine wrote:
CelticFC#1 wrote:The only real downside I've noticed is that they've got rid of the % bar at the bottom. It's now 'Time left...' for either the chapter you're on or the full book.

Doesn't that change if you tap it?

Ignore me, it''s not the percentage they've got rid of, it's the progress bar for each chapter.

CelticFC#1

Postby mancubz » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:08 am

and
Stuntman wrote:This is what happens when you're an adolescent and you don't have a forest or the internet.

mancubz
BAD BITCH ALERT

Postby Splash Montgomery » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:20 am

just finished these:
what a ride, though there was a a bit of a lull somewhere around when the DNC takes place. i skipped a lengthy transcript of dialog between thompson and someone on the mcgovern campaign talking about how their strategy was to lose iowa or something. for the most part the book is very strong. highlights include thompson giving his rolling stone press pass to some dude he just met, who later gets into a drunken screaming fit at ed muskie and thompson having a nervous breakdown at the ketucky derby

my first pynchon book. not much to say that hasn't already been said. it's wonderful

Splash Montgomery

Postby Kenny » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:52 pm

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby bongo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:53 pm

really makes you not think
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life

bongo
man in hammock

Postby Kenny » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:54 pm

I dunno, I liked it!

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby number none » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:04 pm

well he's got a hundred more of 'em

number none

Postby winj » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:58 pm

Chris Ware - Monograph

i'm not a huge reader of comics, but Jimmy Corrigan & Building Stories are two of my all time favorites of any genre. excited to dive into this.

winj

Postby Plainsong » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:52 am

Plainsong

Postby Kenny » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:24 am

I've never read Nietzsche, tbh. It's probably (definitely!) stupid but I guess I thought I've gotten the big thrusts of his thought through osmosis. I should change that.

I just did a trial to the Times Literary Supplement 2 weeks ago and this week there's a big article by Marilynne Robinson who I just really really liked in Gilead. Talk about synchronicity :ugeek:

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby bongo » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:53 am

read tjhe gay science pottman

bongo
man in hammock

Postby bongo » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:54 am

Zawn V rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
If you read Nietzsche while not in the midst of some variety of emo existential crisis, Nietzsche is hilarious and insightful. If, however, you choose to read Nietzsche in high school in order to be counter-culture, odds are good Nietzsche will temporarily turn you into a horrible, pompous ass. Nietzsche is the first philosopher I ever read; I stole The Gay Science from my cousin's book shelf when I was nine because I wanted to read "what smart people read." Ever since then, Nietzsche and I have had a love affair; the problem is that I cannot stand his fans.

bongo
man in hammock

Postby tawny frogmouth » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:44 am

i started reading the new john le carre, and two chapters in it's very good. but it's about events from the spy who came in from the cold, which i read a couple years ago. i thought i'd just read the wiki to get the plot details from that one down, but then decided fuck it, i'm all about rereading books in 2018 anyway. so now i'm reading the spy who came in from the cold and a legacy of spies at the same time, and it's greeaaaattt

tawny frogmouth

Postby HotFingersClub » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:09 pm

Sorry this is a lot of books I haven’t posted since November.

Opinions available upon request but the highlights were probably Krasznahorkai, Wallace and Schweblin (which was my favourite book from 2017).

I also want to specially recommend David Rose, because although Vault wasn’t as good as Meridian, he’s totally under the radar and I think most people in this thread would love him. RIYL Evan Dara, A Naked Singularity, DFW.

Kurt Schwitters – pppppp

Sam Riviere – Kim Kardashian’s Marriage

Mike McCormack – Solar Bones

Laszlo Krasznahorkai – Seiobo There Below

Samanta Schweblin – Fever Dream

Ann Leckie – Ancillary Justice

Andrew Michael Hurley – The Loney

David Foster Wallace – Oblivion

Clarice Lispector – The Passion According to G.H.

David Rose – Vault

HotFingersClub

Postby Smarmy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:54 pm

This was well done, yet nothing too revelatory

This was funny at points, but not for me overall

Finally gonna tackle this that I've had on my shelf for 12 years...
Seven Swans is still pretty fantastic though and I'm an atheist. sad.gif

Smarmy

Postby winj » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:03 pm

would love to hear more about the Schweblin and why it was your year's fave hotfingers, and always down for more words on Seiobo

i started this last night as well and could not put it down. #abs

winj

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley