Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby blurst of times » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:24 pm

from the last month or so:

got reminded of this today. i liked it a lot! looking forward to seeing how the tv show handles this material. outside of the flashbacks, it's very claustrophobic and purposefully limited in its perspective, so it'll be interesting to see how/if they decide to expand it outward.

side note: i had a used copy of the book, so it was kinda distracting/amusing to read a passage and see it underlined and something obvious like "SHE IS AFRAID" scribbled in the margins. oh well.

i had mixed feelings about a few of these stories, but for the most part i thought this was very good. i think some of them (especially the first couple) leaned too heavily on shock factor and made characters unlikeable to the point that they didn't seem believable, but the ones that took a more subtle approach were more successful. i loved 'weirdos,' 'malibu,' 'slumming,' and the final story especially.

currently reading:
the first few chapters are a little slow and feel like a standard noir/detective story, but it's starting to get more interesting now that they're delving more into the contrasts between the two cities. excited to keep going with this...
blurst of times
ride.

Postby the upland trout » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:32 pm

Never read this before. He is the sort of person I mute on Facebook.

Finished this yesterday. I thought it was fantastic and, because I'm a dork, I have been thinking about how I would fit this on a syllabus and teach it alongside the movie Safe.

Just started. So far really interesting.

What's a good straight-up history of Chernobyl?
the upland trout

Postby the upland trout » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:33 pm

moses wrote:
Wow. Absolutely loved this. Highly recommended.

Hell yeah.
the upland trout

Postby dvr » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:39 pm

Hambelt wrote:I've absolutely loved 2312 and enjoyed Aurora, but could not finish Red Mars no matter how hard I tried.

Have had trouble focusing on reading lately, but was about 50 pages into this:

when I got distracted and finally dove fully into:

Which is awesome as expected.

2140 isn't bad, and i'll probably pick it up again, not sloggy like the mars books, just didn't click yet.

Red Mars is going alright. Very little character development but all the traveling around Mars makes up for it. The book just seems really rushed. Antarctica was the Robinson book that initially drew me to the author. I just couldn't find it in stores.
dvr

Postby deadwolfbones » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:47 pm

Finished:

Reading:

Up Next:

dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby dmitry » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:17 pm

i started reading Count Zero because i want to feel like it's the 90s again, it's alright so far. the thing that bothers me is the extremely silly depiction of actual computer use/hacking, this late into the 80s, when in just a couple years the events that inspired Hackers would take place

it's extremely unlikely that this book will deliver anything Neuromancer didn't, but that's OK, the matrix didn't need sequels either

this is pretty off topic but, even though people are turning around on Hackers, it's weird to me that it's described as some wildly inaccurate movie. the inaccurate/awesome aesthetic was caused by the fact that the screenwriter attended 2600 meetings and they acted as wild as they could to be funny. but the actual hacking -- planting a worm, rather than punching ICE or whatever is supposed to be going on in Sprawl hacking, digging through dumpsters to find credentials, and most importantly that theres someone on the other end when you're trying to break in, trying to stop you, and its an adversarial and slow process -- is pretty spot on. also since this is a book thread, if you're interested in a 3/5 book about the events that inspired Hackers, read Masters of Deception. its got a lot of interesting stuff like how the hacker that inspired Dade got into a fight with a grateful dead dude (the one who founded EFF) on WELL.
dmitry

Postby mancubz » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:46 pm

atomicbombshell wrote:
mancubz wrote:
but i'm now in the middle of
which is just so much better.

just finished this and i am just.. so not impressed. I thought that the first essay was very strong but then there was this odd mixture of memoir essay and sincere journalism that sort of missed the mark on both accounts. I felt like I could see the meat of the story that she was offering about homelessness, or the bird sanctuary, or whatever, but that ultimately her voice was lost and they fell flat for me.

i am part-way through the homelessness essay and i just don't really feel compelled to finish this, but i have to finish a book before i decide i don't like it, which is really hard when there is nothing that pulls me in. BFF was super strong, but then there's this pattern of split narrative that's just too similar in too many essays. i'm waiting for some new interesting information or insight, but whatever. it's just kind of boring (except that religion essay which was holy-crap-so-boring).
after "the futures" i coulda read grease patterns on a kitchen wall and been relieved.
elaine wrote:sharp knives sharp knives, cut the onion, cut the bell pepper, cut the steak, cut your wrists, cut your genitals, cut your brain out
mancubz
BAD BITCH ALERT

Postby mancubz » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:48 pm

when is the new jesmyn ward come out that's all i wanna be readin
what should i read next people
elaine wrote:sharp knives sharp knives, cut the onion, cut the bell pepper, cut the steak, cut your wrists, cut your genitals, cut your brain out
mancubz
BAD BITCH ALERT

Postby Guy Incognito » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:05 pm

can someone recommend some fiction to me? i love huge, plotty-bordering-on-pulpy genre stuff, prefer settings that aren't the present, and recently read and loved fire upon the deep, dark matter, lonesome dove, canticle for leibowitz, and the third law trilogy

there's a few standards on my list i should probably get (handmaid's tale, hyperion) but wanna see what you all can throw at me too
wendy wrote:It is not dank
Guy Incognito
Infernal Dinosaur

Postby Guy Incognito » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:05 pm

8-)
Guy Incognito
Infernal Dinosaur

Postby mudd » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:46 pm

it's a pity the second volume of the vorrh trilogy was meh because I suspect you would enjoy the vorrh. Annihilation is good too, but also best if the rest of the trilogy is skipped.

I always recommend Raymond Chandler and dashiell hammet for genre fiction, in case you haven't already read them.

m
mudd

Postby mudd » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:49 pm

mancubz wrote:when is the new jesmyn ward come out that's all i wanna be readin
what should i read next people

Suite for Barbara Loden by Nathalie Leger. Unless you're in more of a fiction mood, in which case read some joy or Diane Williams.

(Also, apparently September)

m
Last edited by mudd on Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mudd

Postby Guy Incognito » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:53 pm

i dont know chandler but i read a bunch of hammet a couple years ago. like walter mosely a lot too.
Guy Incognito
Infernal Dinosaur

Postby mudd » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:07 pm

I don't know mosely, but chandler is great. Recommend the long goodbye in particular.

for something a little different on a crime angle, wolf haas's brenner books are really charming considering the grisly subject matter. Maybe too contemporary though.

m
mudd

Postby Guy Incognito » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:08 pm

thanks mudd, i'm down with any settings when it comes to crime and mystery stuff so i'll check out brenner too
Guy Incognito
Infernal Dinosaur

Postby mudd » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:14 pm

they're narrated in a very chatty stories at the bierhaus way, about a former detective that keeps getting caught up solving murders despite drifting into careers further and further away from police work. Set in Austria in a post Warsaw Pact era

I'm really curious about the Japanese noir/crime writer discussed a page ago but haven't read any.

m
mudd

Postby futurist » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:15 pm

futurist wrote:just ordered a bunch of Dennis Cooper. excited to dig in.

just finished Closer.

disgusting, dirty, raw, juvenile. i'm in love with dennis cooper.
futurist

Postby incoherent grunting » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:40 pm

Guy Incognito wrote:thanks mudd, i'm down with any settings when it comes to crime and mystery stuff so i'll check out brenner too

some people liked the Yiddish Policeman's Union
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
incoherent grunting

Postby Hambelt » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:14 pm

Guy Incognito wrote:can someone recommend some fiction to me? i love huge, plotty-bordering-on-pulpy genre stuff, prefer settings that aren't the present, and recently read and loved fire upon the deep, dark matter, lonesome dove, canticle for leibowitz, and the third law trilogy

there's a few standards on my list i should probably get (handmaid's tale, hyperion) but wanna see what you all can throw at me too

This and it's sequel have been my fav sci-fi from this year or so:

Hambelt

Postby Seamus » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:57 pm

Guy Incognito wrote:can someone recommend some fiction to me? i love huge, plotty-bordering-on-pulpy genre stuff, prefer settings that aren't the present, and recently read and loved fire upon the deep, dark matter, lonesome dove, canticle for leibowitz, and the third law trilogy

actually i'm due a reread
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby Hambelt » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:52 pm

deadwolfbones wrote:
Up Next:

This is such a smoother, more rewarding read than the first book. I thinking being able to go into this already acclimated to the language quirks helped a lot.
Hambelt

Postby Guy Incognito » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:35 pm

thanks dudes, very excited about the last two mentioned, warlock especially (though i'm bummed it's not on audible)
Guy Incognito
Infernal Dinosaur

Postby number none » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:32 am

number none

Postby tarantula » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:14 am

embarrassed, but it's good

tarantula

Postby Seamus » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:54 pm

I like the idea and the opening was strong but overall it was good but thats it.

Eh, this was ok.

Some very cool parts but more boring parts and towards the end most of the book isn't even about him. Feels like a waste of what could have been a good biography.

The premise was cooler than the final product. It was still cool and I know you all love it but I'll just class it as "good". Still, I haven't read sci-fi for years and appreciate the rec hpn
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby Eyeball Kid » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:02 pm

Man, Marilynne Robinson's Housekeeping is one hell of a book. It's been on my radar forever, but I only just now read it. Warm and funny and sad and disturbing.
Eyeball Kid

Postby dvr » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:07 pm

number none wrote:

Is cryptonomicon good? I picked it up for a dollar. I like math nonfiction and sci-fi.
dvr

Postby number none » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:25 pm

I'd say there's a decent chance you'll like it then
number none

Postby blurst of times » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:33 pm

guy incognito, i know i gave it kind of a lukewarm reception on the last page, but the city & the city seems like something you'd be into

it's picked up a lot since i last posted about it

also, along the lines of warlock, butcher's crossing is another very good western (if you haven't read it yet)
blurst of times
ride.

Postby number none » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:40 pm

yeah, Mieville in general might be a good rec. I still think the first two Bas-Lag books (Perdido Street Station and The Scar) are his best books though
number none

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....