what are you reading right now?

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby theta » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:51 am

yes they're also real easy to gift away or lend to a friend w/o worrying about getting them back
Jeremy wrote:If you want a vision of the future, imagine a sarcastic serf - forever.
theta
Noted Futurist and Geo Metro Enthusiast

Postby atomicbombshell » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:08 am

I'll send ya one when I find one at my next big book pick up, ahb
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾

The moon put her hand over my mouth and told me to shut up and watch.
atomicbombshell
Queen Witch

Postby ahungbunny » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:13 am

aw man that'd be great, thank you
ahungbunny

Postby Eyeball Kid » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:24 am

The Communist - Guido Morselli

I'm enjoying this more as the study of an Italian parliament member's slow disillusionment with his association with the PCI* and less as an explication of communism in Italy in the late 50's.

*I'm intentionally using the acronym for the original-language name Partito Comunista Italiano, as the English translation results in

ImageToggle Spoiler
Eyeball Kid

Postby mudd » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:25 am

i used to see those old delany paperbacks around a fair bit. the fall of the towers in particular, which is unfortunate because it isn't great.

friend of mine uses old sci fi covers as source material for cover art for his tape label.

m
mudd

Postby walt whitman » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:11 pm

theta wrote:i love that style of science fiction paperback cover so much i am thinking of wheedling a half sleeve inspired by it out of the artist that did my last tattoo

woah this could legit become its own tattoo subgenre, awesome idea
walt whitman

Postby walt whitman » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:12 pm

ahungbunny wrote:i've seriously never seen a delany book in any used bookstore, and i've been looking off and on for like seven years now. am i extremely unlucky or are yinz just ordering stuff new and/or from the internet

interesting. i never seem to find vollmann in used bookstores. maybe the hipinion canon just distorts my expectations for what a bookstore should carry
walt whitman

Postby winjer » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:49 pm

i couldn't handle lime works right now & i found this at the used bookstore yesterday so

that exact old little hardcover :)

someone asked me about the berger book last page & i will definitely report back once i've read a decent amount
winjer

Postby ahungbunny » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:40 pm

walt whitman wrote:
ahungbunny wrote:i've seriously never seen a delany book in any used bookstore, and i've been looking off and on for like seven years now. am i extremely unlucky or are yinz just ordering stuff new and/or from the internet

interesting. i never seem to find vollmann in used bookstores. maybe the hipinion canon just distorts my expectations for what a bookstore should carry

ha, i see vollman stuff e v e r y w h e r e
ahungbunny

Postby mondays » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:23 pm

just finished:

currently:
mondays

Postby the upland trout » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:03 am

the upland trout

Postby walt whitman » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:39 am

walt whitman

Postby sisonfrisson » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:08 am

finally got enough downtime to have a proper read again :)
sisonfrisson

Postby office plant » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:50 pm

abs did you read the new philip pullman yet? i just blew through it in like a day
office plant

Postby Hambelt » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:56 pm

ahungbunny wrote:
theta wrote:i pirate all my ebooks sorry delany i love youToggle Spoiler

that cover/style is so cool that it made me angry i never see anything and prompted me to complain about it

nice work

I have this book and a couple others of his in this cover style but I haven't read any of them cuz I use to buy old sci-fi-fi books by the pile and won't ever get around to reading them all
Hambelt

Postby Pope Laserblast IV » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:58 pm

ahb next time you're in dc hit up capitol hill books, all kindsa pulpy stuff in the basement and i've picked up a few delanys

its hit or miss but worth a shot
Pope Laserblast IV

Postby dmitry » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:05 pm

finished the first revelation space book. maybe... 5 things actually happen in 600 pages. it's an alright book -- the science is hard, the characters are all pieces of shit, the universe is bleak which is cool for a space opera. it's just that he uses the same pattern for conversations and plot timing and it gets old. it's also his first -- does anyone know if he hones it in a bit in the other revelation spaces? im pretty tempted to just jump into the next book but i dunno, if im gonna read a space opera i should read foundation or something

i started the third sprawl book but gibson drops the n word on like the third page and i thikn im gonna take my business elsewhere. i dont know, i want to see what happens to molly millions but there are a lot of other books out there. if im being honest with myself i would probably keep right on reading if i was that interested in the book, because gibson uses blackness in indefensible ways in both other sprawl books, but thats what made me put it down

i think im finally gonna dig into the unreal and the real
dmitry

Postby reversemigraine » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:25 pm

While we're on SF, has anyone read the new Ann Leckie book yet?
reversemigraine

Postby moses » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:49 pm

My first vollmann...

Cant say I enjoyed it...
moses

Postby mudd » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:53 pm

this is the second time someone here has picked that as their first vollmann.

that should not be your first vollmann. if you don't want to take on a big book, try one of the story collections. the atlas is my favorite.

m
mudd

Postby chandler » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:58 pm

Warlock - Oakley Hall

don't know how I hadn't heard of this until i picked it up a couple of weeks ago but its commentary on american society and politics sure feels uber relevant to this day

no way the deadwood creators hadn't read this right before they came up with the show
i've been getting really into pestcest too lately. haven't really been able to find much good ant stuff, though. anybody have any links to some good biting vids/pics?
chandler

Postby atomicbombshell » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:39 pm

I CANNOT recommend this highly enough.
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾

The moon put her hand over my mouth and told me to shut up and watch.
atomicbombshell
Queen Witch

Postby broodstar » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:01 pm

mann on hitler

broodstar

Postby deadbass » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:24 am

I'm currently reading and loving Seiobo There Below. I just finished the chapter with the Christ-painting and I had to stop because the final sentence completely gutted me. It felt like the Twin Peaks finale. This book is a thing of wonder.
deadbass

Postby incoherent grunting » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:30 pm

incoherent grunting wrote:Image
Uhhhh it's.... good

I finished Lincoln in the Bardo last night - it's so good
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
incoherent grunting

Postby joebagel » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:20 pm

I'm not a huge art history nerd, but it's impossible to not stumble into John Richardson—I've been running into his documentaries and articles non-stop over the past few months.

Started this the other day. Really brilliant. Amazing anecdotes—he was a contemporary of Picasso's. The biography is supposed to be four volumes long, but he's only written three so far. Trying to finish the fourth... but he's 93 and time's running out :(

Easily the best art writer I've read so far, besides Kirk Varnedoe.
joebagel

Postby dvr » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:49 pm

dmitry wrote:finished the first revelation space book. maybe... 5 things actually happen in 600 pages. it's an alright book -- the science is hard, the characters are all pieces of shit, the universe is bleak which is cool for a space opera. it's just that he uses the same pattern for conversations and plot timing and it gets old. it's also his first -- does anyone know if he hones it in a bit in the other revelation spaces? im pretty tempted to just jump into the next book but i dunno, if im gonna read a space opera i should read foundation or something

Oh hey I just finished this today. It took me 5 months, which is less time than it took me to read the first Vernor Vinge. I agree with your thoughts on the book, especially when they all get on the lighthugger. The guns go crazy and the captain rejects treatment, that's it for like 200 pages.Toggle Spoiler

I didn't realize until about halfway through the author was a big name (relative) PhD in astronomy, I probably would have paid more attention and read slower through some of the science. The second half though I really enjoyed all the hard science concepts. Particularly that really the book is all about the Fermi paradoxToggle Spoiler.

Overall, I preferred the first two Vinge books to it. But this is prob the most original book I've ever read. I'm also tempted to jump right into the second.
Last edited by dvr on Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dvr

Postby hamilton » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:58 pm

Finally diving into

About 180 pages in and have a couple questions brewing, but I'm sure I'm better off just holding them while I continue reading.
hamilton

Postby walt whitman » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:05 pm

niiiiice :)
walt whitman

Postby theta » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:08 pm

hell yeah hamilton!

i'm back at

Jeremy wrote:If you want a vision of the future, imagine a sarcastic serf - forever.
theta
Noted Futurist and Geo Metro Enthusiast

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All