what are you reading right now?

Jesus christ you have to be kidding me.

Postby atomicbombshell » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:35 pm

Dead_Wizard wrote:my too read pile is pretty much dried up, just a couple of non-fic books that I put down when I got bored. I usually have some big fiction thing that's calling to me, but have had some heavy shit in the past month that makes it all feel ...i dunno, slight. Between death and politics I'm just like not interested in what I used to be. I'm looking for something kozmic...something that gives me that weird feeling of mortality that The Rings of Saturn hit me w/. Feeling existential and bummed out. Need someone to say "yes it sucks and it will suck...but here is a beautiful description of a cuckoo clock" like Sebald would do

I'll unusually hit up a big graphic novel or maybe an old favorite kids/YA book that I remember adoring. Revisit to see how it makes me feel as an adult. Otherwise biography or something like that.
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾

The moon put her hand over my mouth and told me to shut up and watch.
atomicbombshell
Queen Witch

Postby vivian darkbloom » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:30 pm

Dead_Wizard wrote:my too read pile is pretty much dried up, just a couple of non-fic books that I put down when I got bored. I usually have some big fiction thing that's calling to me, but have had some heavy shit in the past month that makes it all feel ...i dunno, slight. Between death and politics I'm just like not interested in what I used to be. I'm looking for something kozmic...something that gives me that weird feeling of mortality that The Rings of Saturn hit me w/. Feeling existential and bummed out. Need someone to say "yes it sucks and it will suck...but here is a beautiful description of a cuckoo clock" like Sebald would do

Maybe this is being too literal but: John the Posthumous by Jason Schwartz?

Edit: actually Garden, Ashes by Danilo Kiš might be a better rec
vivian darkbloom

Postby Dead_Wizard » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:03 pm

thank you my droogs.

@atomicbombshell that's a good idea. I kinda want to re-read Black Hole. It's been a looong time.

@viviandarkbloom I adored John the Posthumous and was holding a Danilo Kis book in my hand yesterday; Vollman talked about him in the acknowledgements of Europe Central and it made me want to read A Tomb for Boris Davidovich. Is Encyclopedia of the Dead a good starting point? Maybe I'll get around to Melancholy of Resistance too.
Dead_Wizard

Postby mudd » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:46 pm

Encyclopedia of the dead is very good. It's all I've read so I can't really comment about starting point.

m
mudd

Postby atomicbombshell » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:35 pm

actually, speaking of... today i reread one of my childhood favorites:

this is such an amazing girl-positive book about a scrappy, stubborn, smart princess living with dragons. highly recommended for any little gal you know aged 8-14.
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾

atomicbombshell
Queen Witch

Postby Dead_Wizard » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:21 pm

oh dang the sequel to The Vorrh is out next week

http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books ... 101972724/
Dead_Wizard

Postby chowder julius » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:31 pm

oh hey i forgot all about my preorder of that :D
-ality -ality -ality -ality wrote:After the revolution, "power relation" will just mean someone's ripped uncle.
chowder julius

Postby office plant » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:38 am

(again)
office plant

Postby gold and glass » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:37 pm

Is libra by delillo worth reading
fuck you and your corporation
gold and glass
ok

Postby Eyeball Kid » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:38 pm

It's my favorite of his books.
Eyeball Kid

Postby moses » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:39 pm

yeah libra is really good. I've only read that and underworld, but I much preferred libra
moses

Postby Casimir » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:57 pm

office plant wrote:Image
(again)

Want to read this based on the cover alone. Going to Japan in the fall so gonna have the pull the trigger on it.
Casimir

Postby Dead_Wizard » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:00 pm

moses wrote:yeah libra is really good. I've only read that and underworld, but I much preferred libra

I remember being really scared to read Libra b/c I was in a weird place mentally and didn't want to get influenced too much by it. Maybe I'll read it next!!

I started The Encyclopedia of the Dead and it's a pleasure so far. Very Borgesian in this first story at least. Beautiful description of early Christianity from a skeptical, secular perspective.
Dead_Wizard

Postby gold and glass » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:38 pm

underworld is my fav of the ones i've read (that + white noise, mao ii, falling man, maybe another), so that is sick to hear.
fuck you and your corporation
gold and glass
ok

Postby carlagain » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:16 am

finishing up Don Quixote and just gobsmacked and fairly certain ill never read anything better
carlagain

Postby Seamus » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:22 am

yeah its the best. which translation are you reading?
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.
Seamus

Postby atomicbombshell » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:07 am

this Lispector is stunning. Ordered her biography + Maeve Brennan's bio too
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾

atomicbombshell
Queen Witch

Postby chowder julius » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:11 am

Dead_Wizard wrote:oh dang the sequel to The Vorrh is out next week

http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books ... 101972724/

this came today :D :D :D :D :D :D
-ality -ality -ality -ality wrote:After the revolution, "power relation" will just mean someone's ripped uncle.
chowder julius

Postby Dead_Wizard » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:17 am

sweet, please post impressions.

Found a sick-ass ancient copy of The Tomb of Boris Davidovich at the old used bookstore today
Dead_Wizard

Postby ahungbunny » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:31 am

I liked Steps alright and really enjoyed Being There but the titular chapter of Kosinski's The Painted Bird is one of the most horrific things I've read. I don't know if I can continue.
ahungbunny

Postby mcphee » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:16 am

ahungbunny wrote:I liked Steps alright and really enjoyed Being There but the titular chapter of Kosinski's The Painted Bird is one of the most horrific things I've read. I don't know if I can continue.

it just keeps getting more brutal

that book is one of the most horrifying things I've ever read
THIS IS TOTALLY UNEXCEPTABLE.
mcphee

Postby vivian darkbloom » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:10 am

Wyndham Lewis - Tarr
I like it!

L. P. Hartley - The Go-Between
It's okay!

Jamaica Kincaid - The Autobiography of my Mother
I don't like it!

Philip Roth - The Ghost Writer
I don't like it!

F. Scott Fitzgerald - This Side of Paradise (reread)
I (still) like it!
vivian darkbloom

Postby sadville » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:24 am

god left hand of darkness was so, so good
a dong is
sadville

Postby No Good Advice » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:28 am

sadville wrote:god left hand of darkness was so, so good

Recently read this. Felt like the snow and dirt was under my nails all the time. Great read, wanted to leave the planet badly with my new friend.
No Good Advice

Postby Pris » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:29 am

Started reading Mishima's Forbidden Colours and a Tanizaki essay on Japanese aesthetics.

Bought Diary of the Thief by Genet and Brautigan's Trout Fishing in America, so looking forward to reading those.
Pris

Postby chowder julius » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:43 pm

i really want to read this but i'm not sure that i can https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/mar/05/can-i-forgive-man-who-raped-me-thordis-trust-elva-thomas-stranger-south-of-forgiveness-extract

also re: the erstwhile, i'm about a quarter of the way through and just like its predecessor i am having trouble putting it down. it seems somehow even more magical and intense and florid than the vorrh
chowder julius

Postby Dead_Wizard » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:54 pm

Encyclopedia of the Dead was awesome. Kis absolutely nails the authoritarian mindset w/ this kind of hyper cynical Borgesian style. If I had to pick a favorite story, it would probably be "The Book of Kings and Fools", a fictional essay about "The Conspiracy" (cipher for The Protocols of Elder Zion) that is just harrowing. It was interesting seeing the story of Kurt Gerstein in the postscript, a figure that Vollman dedicates one of the best stories in Europe Central to.

I'll read The Tomb of Boris Davidovich real quick then jump into The Erstwhile. Glad to hear it's compelling!
Dead_Wizard

Postby Ampersand » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:25 pm

No Good Advice wrote:

Recently read this. Felt like the snow and dirt was under my nails all the time. Great read, wanted to leave the planet badly with my new friend.

Started teaching it again today! My students don't like it, again!
Ampersand

Postby Arturo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:51 pm

I know it's a stone cold hipinion classic, but damn I'm really enjoying Nixonland.

Are there any decent documentaries on that era with good archive footage?
Arturo

Postby blurst of times » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:58 pm

Ampersand wrote:
No Good Advice wrote:

Started teaching it again today! My students don't like it, again!

smdh. what don't they like about it?

i never really reread books, but i've been considering rereading left hand of darkness because i liked it so much when i read it a few years ago
blurst of times

PreviousNext

Return to Free-for-all