what are you reading right now?

Jesus christ you have to be kidding me.

Postby brothertony » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:34 pm

what are the good books about vikings and viking shit? fiction or non
brothertony

Postby Dead_Wizard » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:41 pm

brothertony wrote:what are the good books about vikings and viking shit? fiction or non

The title story of "Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned" by Wells Tower is one of my favorite short stories.
http://intothedialectic.com/wp-content/ ... -Tower.pdf

You also have the classic The Long Ships.

And i'd make the case Vollman's The Ice Shirt is some badass viking lit.
Dead_Wizard

Postby brothertony » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:56 pm

thanks dog
brothertony

Postby granger » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:05 pm

the long ships is a blast

took me a year to return to the second half of nixonland, but i'm cruising through that now. excited about the books i impulse-bought from verso the other night:

Liberalism by Domenico Losurdo

The Critical Legal Studies Movement by Roberto Mangabeira Unger

Revolutionary Yiddishland by Alain Brossat and Sylvia Klingberg

The Art of Asking Your Boss for a Raise by Georges Perec

No Such Thing as a Free Gift by Linsey McGoey
granger

Postby chowder julius » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:06 pm

i was all in on doing a group read of nixonland with some people and then i saw how big it was and was like peace
-ality -ality -ality -ality wrote:After the revolution, "power relation" will just mean someone's ripped uncle.
chowder julius

Postby number none » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:08 pm

number none

Postby atomicbombshell » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:14 pm

brothertony wrote:what are the good books about vikings and viking shit? fiction or non

To add to dead wizard's recs:

Informative and accessible

What's cooler than the Norse discovery of America and a badass Viking woman beating her breast with a sword to scare off native Americans and shame her male brethren into action? Not much.
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾

The moon put her hand over my mouth and told me to shut up and watch.
atomicbombshell
Queen Witch

Postby DammitSteve » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:35 pm

Reading this now...not about Vikings but about Iceland, and it's one of those books everyone ought to get to reading eventually anyway:

DammitSteve

Postby atomicbombshell » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:10 pm

☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾

atomicbombshell
Queen Witch

Postby Seamus » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:17 pm

DammitSteve wrote:Reading this now...not about Vikings but about Iceland, and it's one of those books everyone ought to get to reading eventually anyway:

How are you finding this? I've got a copy gathering dust. I tried it maybe a year ago but it was a busy time so I couldn't get into it properly, but I just checked and I'd left a bookmark in there 100 pages in. Kind of interested in restarting it. I've got a copy of Fish Can Sing somewhere, too.
RHASL
Seamus

Postby Seamus » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:22 pm

The 20 book Horrible Histories set is under £20 on Amazon, are these things still entertaining?
RHASL
Seamus

Postby husbands » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:32 pm

master of the senate was pretty good but honestly I'm enjoying this more than the last part of that book. also it's nice to learn about the kennedys.
ROLL COAL
husbands

Postby dvr » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:33 pm

Blasting through this right now, it's great. I tried to read Gorillas in the Mist a few years back while living on a sub-tropical island (off NZ coast) for a month and it wasn't happening. This is way better and seems to paint a much more accurate bigger picture of what was actually happening:

About through this. I read Deepness in the Sky first (?):

Next up, I started it maybe about 12 years ago, got 100 pages in and put it down:

Also next up:
dvr

Postby DammitSteve » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:27 pm

Seamus wrote:
DammitSteve wrote:Reading this now...not about Vikings but about Iceland, and it's one of those books everyone ought to get to reading eventually anyway:

How are you finding this? I've got a copy gathering dust. I tried it maybe a year ago but it was a busy time so I couldn't get into it properly, but I just checked and I'd left a bookmark in there 100 pages in. Kind of interested in restarting it. I've got a copy of Fish Can Sing somewhere, too.

I'm only 80 in so far but I can see myself getting pretty invested in the characters and landscape. I for some reason have been interested in bucolic settings and stories of shepherds lately. Just read Virgil's Eclogues, so it happens to be a good time for me to crack this one. But in any event I've also been really impressed with the dialogue and characters in their own right. Starting with purported magic and myth and then building a realistic story of a pioneer's hardship really does well to continue the tradition of Icelandic sagas. No thrills yet but uninterrupted enjoyment, and I do feel in the hands of a master - in translation of course.
DammitSteve

Postby Sobieski » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:55 am

are there any good translations of the illiad?

maybe I should just read Champman's, at least that would be interesting
Johann POOPLER wrote:Progress is the exploration of our own error
Sobieski

Postby vivian darkbloom » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:58 am

how did this happen
Last edited by vivian darkbloom on Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
A-Ok wrote:I absolutely can recognize nudity.
vivian darkbloom

Postby vivian darkbloom » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:58 am

Funny you should ask that, we're just reading that in the slack book club (different translations though I think most of us are Fagles now). I've been warned off Fitzgerald.
A-Ok wrote:I absolutely can recognize nudity.
vivian darkbloom

Postby Ampersand » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:18 pm

My favorite Iliad is Richmond Lattimore's.
Ampersand

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:54 pm

The classics prof I read Homer with had us use Fagles for Iliad, Fitzgerald for Odyssey. He was the epitome an old white Catholic classicist (most conservative Catholic I ever met by a country mile) so take that fwiw, but I enjoyed them quite a bit
rich uncle skeleton

Postby alaska » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:40 pm

Ampersand wrote:My favorite Iliad is Richmond Lattimore's.
alaska

Postby alaska » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:40 pm

Fagles is real swashbuckling but I've heard Lattimore is the most faithful, and the swash is still definitely buckled
alaska

Postby office plant » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:15 pm

Casimir wrote:
office plant wrote:Image
(again)

Want to read this based on the cover alone. Going to Japan in the fall so gonna have the pull the trigger on it.

it was published really quite a long time ago now ('87) but parts are still great, just give it a try, with only a few :? exceptions he has the feeling of being a westerner in east asia pretty much on lock.

after i finished this off i realised i've never read much of this kind of thing at all
i suppose what i mean is travel writing with really, really nice prose. the only thing that seems similar to this (and even then not so similar) is barry lopez's pieces where he goes to hokkaido, the galapagos, alaska, parts of the continental US etc.
if anyone can recommend something based on this extremely vague description that would be nice.
office plant

Postby dvr » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:24 pm

office plant wrote:
Casimir wrote:
office plant wrote:Image
(again)

Want to read this based on the cover alone. Going to Japan in the fall so gonna have the pull the trigger on it.

it was published really quite a long time ago now ('87) but parts are still great, just give it a try, with only a few :? exceptions he has the feeling of being a westerner in east asia pretty much on lock.

after i finished this off i realised i've never read much of this kind of thing at all
i suppose what i mean is travel writing with really, really nice prose. the only thing that seems similar to this (and even then not so similar) is barry lopez's pieces where he goes to hokkaido, the galapagos, alaska, parts of the continental US etc.
if anyone can recommend something based on this extremely vague description that would be nice.

I think any of Peter Hessler's 3 books on China are excellent. Or Ryszard Kapuściński's The Shadow of the Sun (Africa).
dvr

Postby office plant » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:27 pm

awesome, thanks.
office plant

Postby milknight » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:16 pm

abt to finish tapping the source and it rules
milknight

Postby New Name » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:48 pm

Me + cheap red wine + toothpaste = all the gray foam a girl could want
New Name
BAD BITCH ALERT

Postby atomicbombshell » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:46 am

milknight wrote:abt to finish tapping the source and it rules

Awesome
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾

atomicbombshell
Queen Witch

Postby HUMANIMAL » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:45 am

just finished this as we had an out of character march snow storm, it was awesome

anyone well versed on kavan? what should I read after Ice?
HUMANIMAL

Postby criss elliott » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:01 pm

joan didion - democracy

bill buford - among the thugs
criss elliott

Postby Smarmy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:29 pm

Seven Swans is still pretty fantastic though and I'm an atheist. sad.gif
Smarmy

PreviousNext

Return to Free-for-all