what are you reading right now?

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby Hieronymus Kush » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:36 am

mascotte wrote:
mascotte wrote:
Hieronymus Kush wrote:ya boi feeling kinda existential

Does it contain any more info than random press articles about Hitler using meth and Luftwaffe pilosts doing flights on benzedrine?

Nm, looks like it's decent. Anyone got a mobi version?

Nah it's really well researched and compulsively readable. Seems like damn near everyone in Germany was using meth Ipervitin) during that time, since the negative effects were downplayed...
in filth it will be found
Hieronymus Kush

Postby fuckyoudad » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:40 am

i need to read some more faulkner soon
Note: mildly comedic.
fuckyoudad

Postby vivian darko » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:52 am

Me too
vivian darko

Postby Dead_Wizard » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:28 pm

Finished up Hyperion today. i thought the detective's story was the absolute highlight, and everything after that kind of deflating. I liked that we got a big picture of what's actually happening at the end, but I wasn't expecting for a straight up "to be continued...." ending. Guess I have to read the 2nd book now??

*also I think Destiny straight up plagiarized a few sections about space battles for some of their background
Last edited by Dead_Wizard on Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dead_Wizard

Postby Eyeball Kid » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:33 pm

Eyeball Kid wrote:Because I was able to score a copy for cheap, I picked up Lincoln in the Bardo. 100+ pages in and...it's good. I was not expecting this!

And the gimmick is wearing thin. The book is a quick read, but I've been struggling with picking it up since yesterday.
Eyeball Kid

Postby kyle » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:36 pm

Still good.
kyle

Postby number none » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:56 pm

Eyeball Kid wrote:
Eyeball Kid wrote:Because I was able to score a copy for cheap, I picked up Lincoln in the Bardo. 100+ pages in and...it's good. I was not expecting this!

And the gimmick is wearing thin. The book is a quick read, but I've been struggling with picking it up since yesterday.

initially refreshing to read a Saunders book shorn of many of his stylistic tics. Although the questioning dialogue thing does pop up occasionally? Problem is, minus the style there's not much left. I did find some of the concepts enjoyably kooky but as a whole it's seriously slight. And the emotional effect he's going for at the end just comes off as cheesy (another thing he's regularly guilty of)
number none

Postby vivian darko » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:08 pm

Saunders's version of pathos comes off as hollow as the ads that obsess him. I guess that could be an intentional play but it doesn't make for a very pleasant read.
vivian darko

Postby Seamus » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:50 pm

Can anyone recommend some good books about the occult? I'm feeling spooky

I might get this creepy book about Victorian mourning photography (spoilered because of spooky photos of dead people):

Toggle Spoiler
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby alaska » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:13 pm

james hogg's "the private memoirs & confessions of a justified sinner" is a chill old scary book
alaska
ride.

Postby Eyeball Kid » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:26 pm

30 pages left in the Saunders; I was originally going to do a re-read of Journey to the End of the Night after this, but I have Patricia Highsmith's Strangers on a Train sitting here and that might be a better palate cleanser.
Eyeball Kid

Postby the upland trout » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:14 am

Concerning ghosts, I read a few books by Elliott O'Donnell about a decade ago. I remember that they were pretty fun and charming. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliott_O'Donnell

The Golem by Gustav Meyrink has some cool occult stuff going on.

And maybe The Other Side by Alfred Kubin?
the upland trout

Postby cocoon man » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:18 am

Finishing Eugene Onegin and then probably reading Viola Swamp's new book. I want to get to Ulysses or JR this year but not sure it's going to happen.

Definitely planning on reading Blitzed.
BILL GATES I'M YOUR STEPSON
I'M SO PROUD TO SHARE YOUR GENES
cocoon man

Postby the upland trout » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:19 am

Wisconsin Death Trip is pretty cool too if you are interested in old pictures of dead people.
the upland trout

Postby scramble » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:57 am

the upland trout wrote:What are some other good books of nature writing? I'm designing an environmental ethics course and a philosophy of nature course, but most of what I know is more academic, so I'm just now exploring this stuff.

Yeah, McPhee as others have said... You should definitely pick up his Encounters with the Archdruid, as it is basically a philosophy of nature course in book form. He profiles an environmentalist in battles with various development forces. Not polemical, a balanced and enjoyable read.
scramble

Postby goofy's dead wife » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:11 pm

what translation of crime and punishment do people here like the best

i read the pevear and volonkhonsky one about a decade ago and i remember enjoying it but i think i remember some people here really disliking them? is oliver ready's translation from a year or two ago better?
sisonfrisson wrote:rip to comrade lil peep.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
goofy's dead wife
Was Raised Christian

Location: MY FAVORITE ROLLERCOASTER NEXT TO THE BLUE WATER THE ONE LIMP DICK SISSIES RIDE

Postby trigross » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:31 pm

piggybacking off of that, which trans of don quixote should I get if just wanna read it? i'm leaning towards grossman i guess
trigross
our chow yun-fat

Postby Dead_Wizard » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:32 pm

Decided to read Norman Cohn's "Warrant for Genocide: the Myth of the Jewish World Conspiracy and the Protocols of the Elders of Zion". It's such a bummer how bullshit all this stuff has been since before Christ died yet how easy it is to get people to hate Jews.

This part at the beginning seemed awfully prescient:
"There exists a subterranean world where pathological fantasies disguised as ideas are churned out by crooks and half educated fanatics for the benefit of the ignorant and superstitious. There are times when this underworld emerges from the depths and suddenly fascinates, captures, and dominates multitudes of usually sane and responsible people, who thereupon take leave of sanity and responsibility. And it occasionally happens that this underworld becomes a political power and changes the course of history."

Dead_Wizard

Postby Eyeball Kid » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:34 pm

trigross wrote:piggybacking off of that, which trans of don quixote should I get if just wanna read it? i'm leaning towards grossman i guess

Grossman's is fine
Eyeball Kid

Postby cocoon man » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:41 pm

drive that fast wrote:what translation of crime and punishment do people here like the best

i read the pevear and volonkhonsky one about a decade ago and i remember enjoying it but i think i remember some people here really disliking them? is oliver ready's translation from a year or two ago better?

P&v crime and punishment is the best of the two I've read IMO

I'm not a fan of some of their other translations but their Dostoevsky is really good

I went to a graduate seminar as a guest of my sister for Anna Karenina and the professor running it made the point that they've gotten a lot of hate because of Oprah and the money and celebrity her endorsement brought but in reality their translations are perfectly serviceable
cocoon man

Postby vivian darko » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:07 pm

vivian darko

Postby Eyeball Kid » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:25 pm

Boris Pastnerak's niece hated the P&V translation of Doctor Zhivago—she refrains from commenting on their other works, but the criticisms she gives here echo the kind that are usually levied at the pair. I read their version of that book; it left me cold, but, given that I've enjoyed other P&V translations, it may just be I do not like Doctor Zhivago.
Eyeball Kid

Postby cocoon man » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:01 pm

Their Dead Souls sucks. I read it and didn't understand why people liked the book and then read Gurney and it's one of my favorite books ever.

I just bought another translation of it I'll read the next time I read it. It's cool that I love a story and own 3 slightly different versions of it. The more translations the merrier.

Also part of why P&Vs translations are used so much in colleges is they have really good notes. So maybe read whatever translation you want but use their commentary like you're reading DFW
cocoon man

Postby cocoon man » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:04 pm

I just finished reading a rhyming translation of Eugene Onegin and really liked it but Nabakov would think I'm a fool. I couldn't get through his literal translation.
cocoon man

Postby vivian darko » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:17 pm

I think Nabokov's defense of his translation was that the idea was just to convince people to learn Russian and read Pushkin in the original
vivian darko

Postby cocoon man » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:23 pm

vivian darkbloom wrote:I think Nabokov's defense of his translation was that the idea was just to convince people to learn Russian and read Pushkin in the original

You could probably use it to learn Russian if you can read Cyrillic
cocoon man

Postby goofy's dead wife » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:57 pm

Thanks for that link on P&V. I went ahead and bought a copy of the Oliver Ready translation on a whim and it seems to combine the best parts of the Garnett and P&V versions. I recommend it!
sisonfrisson wrote:rip to comrade lil peep.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
goofy's dead wife
Was Raised Christian

Location: MY FAVORITE ROLLERCOASTER NEXT TO THE BLUE WATER THE ONE LIMP DICK SISSIES RIDE

Postby meeshpotato » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:06 pm

Wow moby dick is so sick
Thought it would be much more difficult to read for some reason
meeshpotato

Postby Eyeball Kid » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:25 pm

You haven't hit the cetology chapters yet :twisted:
Eyeball Kid

Postby Eyeball Kid » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:26 pm

Great book, though. Going into it, you wouldn't think it would be as funny as it often is, too.
Eyeball Kid

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All